No Rest Day

About mid-way through my afternoon today, I realized that I still had a workout to get done. In the last two weeks of the 10lb. Slimdown Xtreme Challenge, there are actually no rest days, unless you count two days of yoga as rest days.

I’m not quite sure how I feel about having no rest days; honestly, they are just as, if not more important than regular workout days, so not having one today kind of threw me off. But I figured that since I did commit to the challenge and all, I should follow through with today’s scheduled plan, the Xtreme Total Body workout.

Granted, I did manage to stall for about two hours before finally suiting up into my workout clothes, including putting out a few more Halloween decorations.

Can you spot the new ones? Smile

The majority of the afternoon and evening was spent fairly low key, since I’m still pretty exhausted from dancing my face off last night. But Jay and I did manage to squeeze in some extra Cody time.

Can’t you tell he was thrilled to be getting his photo taken…again?

Dinner

Tonight’s dinner came together quick and easy, thanks to some leftovers taken out of the freezer and a couple quick-to-prep sides.

I noticed this morning that we had some leftover BBQ Pulled Chicken in the freezer from the last time I made it, so I reheated that along with some sautéed zucchini, the remaining roasted cauliflower, and some baked sweet potatoes.

The sweet potatoes were super delicious, thanks to a little spray butter and a generous sprinkling of Garlic Gold sea salt nuggets coated on the skin, along with a big ‘ol dollop of plain Chobani. They baked in a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes and were perfectly soft and flavorful.

Since we didn’t have any rolls on hand, Jay and I ended up using some baked Tostitos scoops to dip in our BBQ pulled chicken, so I had a bunch of those, too.

Now, believe it or not, I just whipped up a little baked good and am waiting for it to finish in the oven. (You’d think I’d be a little baked out, right?) Well, apparently I still had a little more in me, so hopefully it turns out tasting as good as it smells! Smile

Time to go watch some DVR’d Jersey Shore, since my poor, crappy Jets just lost…again!

Question for the Evening:

How do you feel about rest days? How many rest days do you typically take each week?

Comments

In the summer, when I had more time to workout, I was taking 1 rest day. Honestly since work has started back up, I probably take 2-3 rest days/week. But they aren’t intentional rest days … they are because I just don’t have time on some days!

But I do think taking a least one day to either rest completely or at least just do light cardio is a good thing!
    Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..An explanation and “Whatcha Reading.”

I agree with you 100%! Rest days are so important. In order to build muscle and repair muscle, our bodies need that rest. I take 1 to 2 rest days per week, depending on if my body is uncomfortably sore as opposed to stiffly sore.
    Heather recently posted..Mini Blogcation!

I love rest days! But I often forget to take them! This week in preparation for my half I took two to make sure that my body was adequately rested!!!
    Also great idea with the Chobani on the sweet potato… I don’t like sour cream and that sounds like the perfect substitution!!
    Meg recently posted..6 months ago this seemed like a GOOD idea

I LOVE my rest days and notic a huge difference n the quality of my workouts when I take them! I take 2 a week (sometimes just 1)- can’t imagine not having complete down time at least once a week! Sorry but yoga for me doesn’t count as a rest day! Hope next week involves at least 1 day off for u :)

The xtreme total body wasn’t On Demand this morning! I am so sad! I did kickboxing instead, which I HATED for the first 20 minutes but was feeling better about towards the end. Which workout is your favorite?
    Shana recently posted..No Rest for the Wicked

• Courtney says

Oh no, really?!? I actually think the Total Body might be my favorite one…I like how it just seems to hit everything. I hope you find a way to get to it soon!

I definitely feel rest days are necessary. Actually, working out too much can be detrimental as it can build up cortisol from working out and stressing yours body..which will cause your body to hold onto fat. But taking ne rest days only leads to injuries for me. Whether it be cardio or weight lifting, it never fails.
    Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Kickin’ It

7. Amy says

I think at least 2 rest days a week are essential. Our bodies need time to recover and not taking rest days can actually hinder our immune systems.
    i personally take 3 rest days a week and find since I started doing so I’m seeing much better results. Overtraining can really hinder our bodies ability to build and repair muscle.

Trackbacks