No Rest Day

by Courtney on October 9, 2011

About mid-way through my afternoon today, I realized that I still had a workout to get done. In the last two weeks of the 10lb. Slimdown Xtreme Challenge, there are actually no rest days, unless you count two days of yoga as rest days.

I’m not quite sure how I feel about having no rest days; honestly, they are just as, if not more important than regular workout days, so not having one today kind of threw me off. But I figured that since I did commit to the challenge and all, I should follow through with today’s scheduled plan, the Xtreme Total Body workout.

Granted, I did manage to stall for about two hours before finally suiting up into my workout clothes, including putting out a few more Halloween decorations.

Can you spot the new ones? Smile

The majority of the afternoon and evening was spent fairly low key, since I’m still pretty exhausted from dancing my face off last night. But Jay and I did manage to squeeze in some extra Cody time.

Can’t you tell he was thrilled to be getting his photo taken…again?

Dinner

Tonight’s dinner came together quick and easy, thanks to some leftovers taken out of the freezer and a couple quick-to-prep sides.

I noticed this morning that we had some leftover BBQ Pulled Chicken in the freezer from the last time I made it, so I reheated that along with some sautéed zucchini, the remaining roasted cauliflower, and some baked sweet potatoes.

The sweet potatoes were super delicious, thanks to a little spray butter and a generous sprinkling of Garlic Gold sea salt nuggets coated on the skin, along with a big ‘ol dollop of plain Chobani. They baked in a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes and were perfectly soft and flavorful.

Since we didn’t have any rolls on hand, Jay and I ended up using some baked Tostitos scoops to dip in our BBQ pulled chicken, so I had a bunch of those, too.

Now, believe it or not, I just whipped up a little baked good and am waiting for it to finish in the oven. (You’d think I’d be a little baked out, right?) Well, apparently I still had a little more in me, so hopefully it turns out tasting as good as it smells! Smile

Time to go watch some DVR’d Jersey Shore, since my poor, crappy Jets just lost…again!

Question for the Evening:

How do you feel about rest days? How many rest days do you typically take each week?

1 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries October 9, 2011 at 7:47 pm

I savor my sweet, sweet rest days.
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..A Perfect Fall Day

2 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health October 9, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Oh I love my rest days! I usually take 1 a week, sometimes 2 if I feel like I need it. I think it’s so important for our bodies to be able to recover and come back stronger and more energized :)
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Upper Body Strength Circuit

3 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life October 9, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Your dinner looks scrumptious! I usually aim to workout 4-5 times a week, but with a toddler that doesn’t always work out.
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Welcome to my new home!

4 Sam @ Samantha in Training October 9, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Oh, I love sweet potatoes!!! I made some last night with pork tenderloin. I need rest days (every other day) or I feel like I am over doing it. I would love to mix in more yoga or pilates in between my workouts just not sure?
Sam @ Samantha in Training recently posted..Crossed the finish line with… Tedy Bruschi?!

5 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles October 9, 2011 at 7:55 pm

I’m going to have to throw my sweet potatoes in the oven RIGHT NOW!!! I want one for supper too!
No rest days?! That is a total bummer- life happens. It gets busy and you need a rest day. Way to commit to it though! :) YOU GO!!!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..I can’t wait!!!

6 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill October 9, 2011 at 8:29 pm

I don’t always schedule rest days, but if I’m feeling fatigued or something comes up, I will definitely take the day off from exercise. I did a 24-mile bike race this morning so I’m thinking tomorrow miiiight be a rest day. :)
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Did I Actually Bike All 24 Miles?

7 Courtney October 9, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Good for YOU, girl!

8 Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 9, 2011 at 8:46 pm

In the summer, when I had more time to workout, I was taking 1 rest day. Honestly since work has started back up, I probably take 2-3 rest days/week. But they aren’t intentional rest days … they are because I just don’t have time on some days!

But I do think taking a least one day to either rest completely or at least just do light cardio is a good thing!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..An explanation and “Whatcha Reading.”

9 Heather October 9, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I agree with you 100%! Rest days are so important. In order to build muscle and repair muscle, our bodies need that rest. I take 1 to 2 rest days per week, depending on if my body is uncomfortably sore as opposed to stiffly sore.
Heather recently posted..Mini Blogcation!

10 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 9, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I love rest days – they are good not only for your body to recover, but I also think they help you out psychologically as well!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..2011 chicago marathon

11 Chelcie of Chelcie's Food Files October 9, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I love rest days, but I feel like between working as a waitress and school I never give myself a FULL rest day
Chelcie of Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..Peanut Butter Cup Brownies

12 Meg October 9, 2011 at 9:57 pm

I love rest days! But I often forget to take them! This week in preparation for my half I took two to make sure that my body was adequately rested!!!
Also great idea with the Chobani on the sweet potato… I don’t like sour cream and that sounds like the perfect substitution!!
Meg recently posted..6 months ago this seemed like a GOOD idea

13 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 9, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Rest days are definitely mandatory for me. I usually take one, and sometimes two, depending on what’s going on and how I’m feeling. I’ve noticed that if I don’t take at least one rest day, I get really exhausted physically and mentally.
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Victory Veggie Lasagna

14 Brittany October 9, 2011 at 10:43 pm

I always make sure I take at least one rest day per week. If I am super sore or really sick then I will take more. Usually one works perfect for me.
Brittany recently posted..Movie Outing

15 Lindsay @ biking before bed October 9, 2011 at 11:19 pm

I make sure to include one of two rest days a week. They help me recharge and give me time to get some housework in:) I love using plain yogurt on everything. My boyfriend thinks its weird. I ate it on apple crisp yesterday.
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..Rain is a good thing

16 Katie @ Plates and Paste October 10, 2011 at 12:04 am

Lately I’ve been taking a lot ;) But typically two, mostly because I’m so busy. Glad you addressed it though…I think they’re important!
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..Salad Galore

17 Jess@atasteofconfidence October 10, 2011 at 12:07 am

I need my rest days..I am doing insanity right now and there just isn’t enough. I need two full!

18 Khushboo October 10, 2011 at 1:09 am

I LOVE my rest days and notic a huge difference n the quality of my workouts when I take them! I take 2 a week (sometimes just 1)- can’t imagine not having complete down time at least once a week! Sorry but yoga for me doesn’t count as a rest day! Hope next week involves at least 1 day off for u :)

19 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 10, 2011 at 6:37 am

I don’t know if I could make it two weeks without a single rest day! I usually take at least 2 rest days a week!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Sunday

20 Shana October 10, 2011 at 7:11 am

The xtreme total body wasn’t On Demand this morning! I am so sad! I did kickboxing instead, which I HATED for the first 20 minutes but was feeling better about towards the end. Which workout is your favorite?
Shana recently posted..No Rest for the Wicked

21 Courtney October 10, 2011 at 7:41 am

Oh no, really?!? I actually think the Total Body might be my favorite one…I like how it just seems to hit everything. I hope you find a way to get to it soon!

22 Hope October 10, 2011 at 8:29 am

Dinner looks delicious! I love sweet potatoes. They are the best with some cinnamon sugar butter. Mmm :)
Hope recently posted..A Weekend In Review & Feeling Confused…

23 Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 10, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I definitely feel rest days are necessary. Actually, working out too much can be detrimental as it can build up cortisol from working out and stressing yours body..which will cause your body to hold onto fat. But taking ne rest days only leads to injuries for me. Whether it be cardio or weight lifting, it never fails.
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Kickin’ It

24 Amy October 10, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I think at least 2 rest days a week are essential. Our bodies need time to recover and not taking rest days can actually hinder our immune systems.
i personally take 3 rest days a week and find since I started doing so I’m seeing much better results. Overtraining can really hinder our bodies ability to build and repair muscle.

25 Samantha October 10, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Aww your poor crappy Jets lost to my Patriots ;-) Hehehe. Oh, ahem, sorry for gloating.

Where can I get my hands on this Garlic Gold stuff? It sounds like something I need!
Samantha recently posted..All Sorts of Good Stuff

26 Courtney October 10, 2011 at 10:09 pm

You can get it from their website! Just click the link in the post :)