The First Adjustment

by Courtney on October 11, 2011

This morning, I ended up having to make the first adjustment to the workout challenge. After yesterday’s double lower body workout, I had a feeling I would wake up sore and quite honestly, I kind of saw this comin’.

Sure enough, as I woke up and rolled out of bed, my entire gluteal area, for lack of a better phrase, was on fire. On fire as in, I look like I’m about 80 when trying sit down. Yikes! Now I love a good burn from a workout, but I knew that there was no way I would be able to do (or have the desire to do) the same thing again today like the schedule showed.

So I made the first adjustment to the challenge:

It was still focused on the lower half but was at a tempo that was much more at my pace. I finished up with the 10 minute Bonus Abs workout that was on tap for today and I am now feeling refreshed and energized…with a slightly sore backside. Winking smile

Also, after so much discussion on rest days these past couple of days, I’ve also decided to nix tomorrow’s scheduled kickboxing workout in place of a rest day. The more I looked at that schedule, the more I cringed, and that is not how I want to feel about a workout. Bring on the rest, baby!

Breakfast

While out grocery shopping yesterday, I picked up a new coffee for us to try and was really excited to test it out this morning.

Cinnamon Snickerdoodle – makes me think of Christmas! We’ve already tried a couple other of the Price Chopper Central Market brand of coffees, but yesterday was the first time I had seen this one and I am definitely a fan!

Along with my new coffee I enjoyed another repeat breakfast of yesterday.

It was just too good to not have again. Winking smile

Guess What?!?

After dinner last night, I got to work on putting together a fun little VLOG post for you guys. In case you haven’t seen them before, here are the other two vlogs I’ve recorded:

My Very First Vlog (on my make up routine)

Vlog Time: My Skincare Routine

I won’t say what this latest one is on yet, but I will say that it’s not about make up or skin care, and that many, MANY of you have requested it. Stay tuned!

Questions for the Morning:

What’s the last adjustment you made (in a workout, or in life in general) that was beneficial for you?

1 Kristin Mac October 11, 2011 at 9:00 am

Yay can’t wait to see it! Loved watching the other two :)
Kristin Mac recently posted..Dragon Soop & Wobbly Music

2 Khushboo October 11, 2011 at 9:01 am

Well done for listening to your body yet still getting in a workout! I have a rest day tomorrow and boy am I excited! No workout = more time for breakfast–> perfect for Pancake Wednesday! Looking fwd to hearing your VLOG, always nice to hear what a fellow blogger sounds like!

3 Krissie J October 11, 2011 at 9:06 am

I did weighted lunges at the gym last night and nixed the last set and only did 4 instead of 5. I could feel my legs muscles seizing up during the 4th set and I figured going for another would probably hurt me. I am glad I did as I am sharing in the bum region soreness today!

PS – I know what it is and I am SO excited! :D Perfect timing, btw.
Krissie J recently posted..Drop Sets and Gym Creepers

4 Meg October 11, 2011 at 9:09 am

Is it possible this total body workout assumes that Day 14 doesn’t mean of consecutive work out days? Could it be that the program creates say 30 days of exercise and assumes you will do its 30 days, but not necessarily straight?

5 Taylor @ Crumbs Don't Count October 11, 2011 at 9:17 am

I started incorporating more weight lifting into my routine through BodyPump. It is just so much more fun to do strength training in a group setting!
Taylor @ Crumbs Don’t Count recently posted..The Workout That Almost Wasn’t

6 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 11, 2011 at 9:33 am

Could it be how to frost a cupcake?!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Panettone apple bread pudding

7 Courtney October 11, 2011 at 9:37 am
8 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 11, 2011 at 9:37 am

Good for you – I’m sure you’ll be happy you added in your rest day! Actually just yesterday was the last time I made an adjustment to my workout schedule. I usually always do 20-30 mins. cardio with a full body weights workout on Mondays, but I felt sick to my stomach all day. So I nixed it and had a sweats and tv kinda night. I was frustrated at first, but then I realized it was what I needed.
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Tummy Blues

9 Courtney October 11, 2011 at 9:38 am

Oh no, I hope you’re feeling better today!!

10 Faith @ For the Health of It October 11, 2011 at 9:42 am

Good for you for listening to your body and knowing your limits!

I usually adjust on the fly. Last night I was planning to run 6.2 miles at a steady jog, but I was feelin’ feisty so I mixed in some bursts of running with some short walking periods (and actually shaved a minute off of my jog-only time from last week!)
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Endebted to the Americano

11 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance October 11, 2011 at 9:44 am

Awesome decision with the replacement rest day. Sometimes I forget how necessary they are!
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..It Takes Two to Tango

12 Hope October 11, 2011 at 9:48 am

Those waffles look so good. I could go for some waffles right about now. :)

I’m excited for your vlog! I think I know what it is! ;)
Hope recently posted..A Simple, Yet Delicious Dinner…

13 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill October 11, 2011 at 9:51 am

Oooh! Can’t wait for the vlog!!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Spreading the Blog Love

14 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles October 11, 2011 at 9:53 am

A new Vlog! Yes!!! …I’m glad that you are making it fit YOU!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Hop on the positive train!

15 Lisa October 11, 2011 at 10:16 am

That breakfast looks amazing!! I’m a big fan of vans waffles :-)
Lisa recently posted..Vegan Goodies

16 Shayla @ The Good Life October 11, 2011 at 10:53 am

Can’t wait to see the vlog! And good for you for adapting your workout routine! I think listening to your body, like what you did, is one of the key adjustments I’ve made to my workout routines. Now I don’t force myself to do weights or a spin class because I feel I “should”, now I incorporate rest days and go on walks if that’s what my body is truly craving…and not feeling I have to go “balls to the wall” every session is very freeing and brings joy back in exercising again :)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Friday Lovin’

17 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health October 11, 2011 at 11:07 am

Can’t wait to see the vlog!! I think I would be awful at doing one haha. And the coffee sounds amazing :). The last adjustment I made in my workout routine was on Sunday- I was supposed to workout, but I just wasn’t feeling it and so I decided to take a rest day and yesterday my body felt awesome during my workout!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Monday Fashion Giveaway

18 Lindsay Loves Veggies October 11, 2011 at 11:17 am

I’m finally starting to get back into the pace of working out most mornings, after being super lazy for almost a year! It’s amazing how much better you feel when you eat right AND exercise regularly!
Lindsay Loves Veggies recently posted..Hiking at Dash Point

19 Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 11, 2011 at 11:20 am

I told you your ass would be on fire.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..A Good Way To Get Pinkeye.

20 Courtney October 11, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Yes you did…holy cow, is it ever!

21 Molly October 11, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I’m trying to keep up with the workout schedule too, and I was surprised to see that there were two intense lower body workouts on back to back days. I always thought traditional wisdom was that you shouldn’t strength train the same muscles two days in a row, and there is definitely the potential for injury!

22 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 11, 2011 at 12:43 pm

I kind of wished this morning was a rest day. I think I overdid it this weekend –

Friday: 8 miles
Saturday: rest
Sunday: walked 5 miles around chicago + bodyrock workout + 3 mile doggy walk
Monday: 7 mile run
Tuesday: full body strength training

YIKES!! No wonder my appetite is out of control today. I think tomorrow is a rest day for me!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..chewy pumpkin spice granola bars

23 Courtney October 11, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Holy crap, girl! Haha…look at you go!
Enjoy that rest tomorrow…I’ll be right there with ya ;)

24 Samantha October 11, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Im putting in a rest day today, which was unplanned. I didn’t let my body heal completely from my last marathon before jumping back into training for another half – and last week I had some stellar runs. Today, I’m feeling it in my entire body. I’m hoping that rest tonight will help my body recuperate so I can run my last taper run before my half on Sunday!
Samantha recently posted..All Sorts of Good Stuff

25 Amy October 11, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I’m taking a rest day tomorrow too. Good ole hump day. A good day for a rest.
I recently cut my workout days down because4 i knew it was better for me and to be honest I feel so much better since i have. I was working out 6 days a week and now I work out 3-4. I’ve been able to put on some much needed weight, I’ve built some muscle in places I needed it and don’t dread my workouts. I really enjoy them now.

26 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy October 11, 2011 at 7:58 pm

I took the night off from working out tonight. I’m finding that I need to take at least one rest day during the work week just to let myself relax…otherwise I don’t end up eating dinner until 9pm every night!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Things I Learned as a Bridesmaid

27 Pamela October 11, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Cinnamon Snickerdoodle coffee sounds delicious!!
Pamela recently posted..Two Years Ago

28 Lizzie October 11, 2011 at 10:52 pm

yumyumyum! looks delish! and congrats on ur workout!
Lizzie recently posted..WIAW+Possible Friend Readers