A Small Unhealthy Confession

by Courtney on October 12, 2011

Nine glorious hours.

That is the amount of sleep that I was finally able to get last night and wow, was it needed.

Actually, I have a small confession to make; one that is going to unveil one of my most repeated, unhealthy habits…

I do not get enough sleep.

There I said it. Phew. I feel better already.

But honestly, I don’t get enough sleep, and I only have myself to blame. Typically, I wake up every weekday morning anywhere between 5:00 – 5:45am so I’m able to get my workout in and get a head start on my day. I usually don’t end up getting to bed until anywhere between 10:30 – 11:30pm, so if you do the math, that’s an average of about six hours of sleep every night. Not enough.

Most research says that adults need anywhere between 7-9 hours of sleep, although there really is no “magic number,” since we are all able to function with different amounts. And even though I’m still able to “function” on my six hours, I know that I need more.

By mid-afternoon, I’m usually hitting some kind of wall, and by the time we’re finished eating dinner, I’m about ready to zonk out on the couch. However, I still end up staying up later than I need to because I somehow get a “second wind” and decide that I can stay up for reasons X,Y, or Z (aka, blog reading, tv watching, or blogging).

Last night, I was downright tired and I decided that enough was enough and I just needed to go to bed. No waiting for any second winds. So 9:30pm rolled around, and in to bed I crawled…not to awake until about 6:30am this morning, and it was fabulous.

With that being said, I’ve now decided that it’s time for me to really focus in on this unhealthy habit of mine and change it for the better. Healthy living isn’t just about the food you eat or the exercise you do; it’s about the whole package, including sleep!

So my new goal is to get to bed earlier, plain and simple. Now I just need somebody to hold me accountable…

*****

Workout

NONE today! I am enjoying this rest day like it’s nobody’s business, and I’ve actually been doing a lot of thinking about this. I’ll be talking about it more at the end of the week once my challenge is officially finished.

Breakfast

Coffee, buckwheat, and a cute little ghosty to start my morning.

Seriously, isn’t he cute? He’s from Kirklands (aka, the best store EVER that always makes me want to spend every last penny I have).

Today I rolled with the basic buckwheat bowl, topped with half of a crumbled failure muffin and some cinnamon raisin granola.

Actually, I guess I shouldn’t call them failure muffins if I’m still eating them. I mean, they’re good, just not great. Know what I mean?

Today is my long day of work, but I’ve got an amazing recipe headed your way this afternoon that may make you want to run to your kitchen and start baking. I’m warning you though…it’s not healthified. Winking smile

Speaking of recipes…did you check out Mal’s Chili recipe from last night? It’s the BEST!

Have a GREAT Wednesday!!

Questions for the Morning:

What do you think about the importance of sleep?

How much sleep do you average every night? Do you think you could use more?

1 Hope October 12, 2011 at 9:09 am

I am with you! I definitely do not get enough sleep either. I usually go to sleep between 10pm-10:30pm and I wake up at 5am. I keep trying to get to sleep earlier like around 9:30ish-9:45ish but it never works. I should really make it a priority. I’m glad that you are feeling well rested today! :)

2 Lindsey October 12, 2011 at 9:09 am

I think sleep is soo important! I am usually in bed by 10:30am and wake up between 6-6:30am. 7-8 hours of sleep is perfect for me so that is what I aim for. I am typically an early riser so even on weekends I am up by 7:30am, but this past weekend I slept till 8am twice! I guess my body needed the extra hours so it got them!
Lindsey recently posted..Things I’m Loving

3 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 12, 2011 at 9:10 am

Sleep is probably my favorite thing in the world (ok, that’s a bit of an exaggeration but, it’s up there) so even though I go to bed late 11:30-12, I can sleep until 7:45-8 b/c I work from home. I never have and never will be a morning workout person so unless I’m traveling for work or have some odd early morning appointment I tend to get about 8 hours every day. I’m a miserable B$%Y* without my sleep!
btw- Are Kirkland stores still in business by you? The 2 around here went out of business last year (which saddened me beyond belief) and I just assumed it was a nationwide thing..
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..When laziness turns out delicious

4 Courtney October 12, 2011 at 9:26 am

Yes! We only have one (that I know of?) in one of the malls near me, but it’s still there!

5 Kate October 12, 2011 at 9:11 am

I need to focus on getting to sleep earlier too, I have been waking up earlier lately but go to bed at the same time!

6 Brittany October 12, 2011 at 9:15 am

I think sleep is soooo important, but I often times don’t get enough either. I stay up late on the computer and then wake up early so I can workout before work. It’s something I need to work on.
Brittany recently posted..Creepy Chocolate Cockroach Treats for Halloween

7 Faith @ For the Health of It October 12, 2011 at 9:23 am

I get about 7.5 hours, but for my body that’s really not enough. I need to work on getting a little bit more…but it is always the last priority!
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Secret Recipe Club: Perfect Pizza Dough {For Breakfast}

8 Chelcie of Chelcie's Food Files October 12, 2011 at 9:23 am

I have always been one of those people that needs a LOT of sleep..I would say on average when I’m at school I get around 8 hours a night..but if it were up to me I would be able to sleep 10 hours every night. My body just LOVES to sleep…kind of weird but so true haha
Chelcie of Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..Yesterday’s Eats

9 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 12, 2011 at 9:26 am

I usually get between 7-8 hours of sleep, but I’m definitely one of those that functions better with 8-9 hours. I am NOT a pleasant person to be around if I get less than 7 hours, let’s just say that. ;) I have a hard time getting to bed at a decent time, because like you said, I get usually get a “second wind” that keeps me up later than I want. This is a great reminder – I should start working on this more too!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW {What I Ate Wednesday} #5 + Three New Recipes!

10 Kristi @ lifesprinkles October 12, 2011 at 9:29 am

this is a constant battle for me too! I always want to try to fit more in at the end of the day and end up staying up way too late when I know I’d be better off if I just went to bed. I realize more and more I just need to make sleep a priority!

11 Sweet and Savvy October 12, 2011 at 9:33 am

I NEVER get enough sleep either! It is just so hard with limited sleep! I bet Your nine hours felt amazing: )

12 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life October 12, 2011 at 9:33 am

I love sleep! I used to be able to sleep the days away, but now between law school and a toddler who wakes up at the crack of dawn, sleep and I have a strained relationship.

When I can, I try to get to bed early, but its a rare occurrence. I have very little alone time, so when the little guy finally goes to bed I like to stay up and relax
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..He Came Bearing Gifts

13 Hilliary@HappilyEverHealthy October 12, 2011 at 9:44 am

I def. do not get enough sleep. I was planning on going to a 5:30 power class this morning but opted to stay in bed a few extra hours. I decided I could always go out and do the afternoon class! Sometimes you just need to rest!
Hilliary@HappilyEverHealthy recently posted..What Did I Do With It

14 Lisa @ I'm an Okie October 12, 2011 at 9:44 am

Nursing school and sleep?! The two don’t go together!
Lisa @ I’m an Okie recently posted..OU/Texas in Pictures

15 Mallory @ It's Only Life October 12, 2011 at 9:46 am

such a great point! sometimes we overwork ourselves, just to get in exercise or healthy meals– but it becomes a catch-22, because that leads to less of something equally as important, like you said! since starting my job a month and a half ago (starts at 9am) i have been going to bed around 12pm (i’m a night owl) and getting up between 730-8, so it’s worked out. i’m not a morning exerciser so i save that for after work. if i get anything less, i feel SO tired when that 3pm time block hits!!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Apartment Kitchen Preview!

16 Steph @ StephSnacks October 12, 2011 at 9:49 am

I love that you posted this today, because I’ve been thinking a lot about it. For the past few years, I have been really sacrificing sleep for workouts. But since moving to NYC in the beginning of Sept, I’ve been taking more time to sleep than workout. My body and mind are exhausted for the year+ commute I had to do (about three hours each day). Sometimes sleep triumphs a workout, and that’s starting to become okay in my book!
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Trattoria Dell’Arte

17 Krissie J October 12, 2011 at 9:53 am

I completely believe sleep is crucial and the studies showing how lack of sleep can affect your waistline is more than enough to convince me I need more of it. I’m majorly guilty of not getting enough sleep then trying to recoup on the weekends. I’ll totally be accountability buddies because I average anywhere between 5-6 hours a night during the week. The other problem I’d love to fix is staying asleep once I go to bed.
Krissie J recently posted..Drop Sets and Gym Creepers

18 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance October 12, 2011 at 9:55 am

Don’t worry, Courtney– it’s very rare that I get more than 6 hours of sleep myself. The worst part about me is that I wake up NATURALLY at 5:00, and don’t even work out! I prefer to get my workout fix later in the day, so I just eat breakfast and play with the pups in the AM.

I guess that can be considered productivity? haha
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Food Gawking

19 Courtney October 12, 2011 at 10:17 am

Really?!? I don’t think I ever wake up “naturally” before 8am…I always have to set an alarm to wake up early. Do you wake up that early feeling rested?

20 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance October 12, 2011 at 10:55 am

That’s the weirdest part– I wake up every morning feeling just as rested as I would if I got 8 full hours of sleep!

I do tend to feel it as I get closer to bed time though, so at least I know I’m not completely an alien
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Food Gawking

21 Brandy @ Let's Grab a Coffee October 12, 2011 at 10:07 am

Have you read ‘The Happiness Project’?
It has great tips on getting more sleep!
Brandy @ Let’s Grab a Coffee recently posted..Thanks, Mom.

22 Courtney October 12, 2011 at 10:16 am

No, I haven’t! Maybe I should go check it out though?!? What else is it about? Now I’m interested!!

23 Brandy @ Let's Grab a Coffee October 12, 2011 at 10:24 am

I think you’ll love it!
It was written by a lady who just felt like life was too short not to be really happy…so she made a plan of all the things she could do to enjoy life more.

It has chapters on getting more sleep, how she tries to be nicer to her husband, being more organized. I love that the things that she found work for her, are simple ideas and ones that I borrow now too.
I definitely recommend it.
Brandy @ Let’s Grab a Coffee recently posted..Thanks, Mom.

24 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles October 12, 2011 at 10:08 am

We go to bed and wake up at almost the exact times…. I go at about 10:30 and wake up at 5:30. I need to start making it to bed by 10 every night….. I think I’d be a better person if I did.
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Hop on the positive train!

25 Nancy (Beyoutiful Fitstyle) October 12, 2011 at 10:31 am

Sleep is so underrated! I vary from 7-8 hours a night and I do make a conscious effort to do so. There are so many times where I want to stay up and do things but I tell myself I’ll be worthless tomorrow if I don’t go to bed. It’s one of those things where if you actually take a break (aka go to sleep) from what you’re doing, you’ll actually be more productive when you get back to it.

Sweet dreams! :)
Nancy (Beyoutiful Fitstyle) recently posted..Body Flexor and Dinner Plans

26 Shanna, Like Banana October 12, 2011 at 10:34 am

Girl that is not enough sleep!

I must must must get at least 8 hours, but I prefer 9. Rarely do I get less than 7 or 7.5 and boy do I feel it!

Sleep is my lovah! ;)
Shanna, Like Banana recently posted..WIAW: Indian food meet-up and blogger “sweet swap” recipes

27 Paige @ Running Around Normal October 12, 2011 at 10:35 am

Ohh sleep. I don’t get enough, but it’s not for lack of trying. I go to bed by 9:30 every night, but toss and turn until about 10, and then have dream-filled, interrupted by Niko and Clarabelle sleep. I need to kick them out, but I just don’t have the heart!!

28 Courtney October 12, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I have to keep Cody out of our room for the same reasons…he survives though! haha

29 Khushboo October 12, 2011 at 10:42 am

Great post! Sleeping definitely plays a role in good health! I need 7-8 hours sleep a night, which I do tend to get! Any more/less and I can feel myself dragging! U should look into the app that wakes you up according to your body clock- could make a difference!
Khushboo recently posted..Ralk my world

30 Courtney October 12, 2011 at 11:56 am

Really? I have never heard of this app before…do you use it?

31 Khushboo October 12, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I don’t use it but a friend does and she loves it…perhaps the effects are psychological but she’s a fan: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sleep-cycle-alarm-clock/id320606217?mt=8
Khushboo recently posted..Ralk my world

32 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 12, 2011 at 10:53 am

I get about the same amount of sleep & I agree that it’s not enough. I think getting enough sleep is definitely important, but I feel like I just have so much going on that it’s difficult to “force” myself into bed!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Taco Tuesday

33 Jackie @ That Deep Breath October 12, 2011 at 10:57 am

I can definitely tell a difference when I don’t get enough sleep. I’m grumpy, exhausted and just want the day to end. I NEED 8 hours or more or else I can’t function!
Jackie @ That Deep Breath recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #13

34 Melissa October 12, 2011 at 10:58 am

I have always had trouble sleeping. Either I can’t fall asleep or I can’t stay asleep. It’s miserable. I usually get around 6 hours, but I try to get at least 7 if I can. I would like to sleep more, but it’s hard to when you can’t fall asleep!
Melissa recently posted..Slowing Down . . . or Not

35 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 12, 2011 at 11:06 am

ugh, my body requires about 8-9 hours of sleep per night.

I get about 7.

but somehow, I’m so productive at night, and it’s hard for me to put myself to bed even though I know I need to be up early.

can someone just invent a time machine already?
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..New Goals

36 Courtney October 12, 2011 at 11:55 am

If they do, I want in ;)

37 Lena October 12, 2011 at 11:06 am

I think sleep is really important to overall health. With that said, I definitely do not get enough of it. I average 5-7 hours during the work week and 6-8 on the weekends. I don’t know why I fight the urge to sleep because I usually end up doing stupid things that could have waited til the weekend.
Lena recently posted..Happy To See Me

38 Brandi October 12, 2011 at 11:13 am

Ok….I have “hovered” around and not posted anything for quite a while now…:) But couldn’t resist it any longer! First, I just wanted to say that I love your blog! Second, I have such a love/hate relationship with sleep. I am just like you in that I usually just get about 6. I have a fulltime job, take a class once a week, I am obsessive compulsive when it comes to eating and exercise, AND I have a few programs that I like to watch! I can sometimes end up feeling like I am going to miss something, so I end up not being able to shut off my mind at night. :(

39 Courtney October 12, 2011 at 11:55 am

Awww, hi Brandi! I’m so glad you decided to come out of hiding :-D

40 Jess@atasteofconfidence October 12, 2011 at 11:16 am

I don’t know how you do it! I need 9 hours of sleep I have found…or maybe 8, but less than that and I am a zombie!
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..Tuesday Word Day: Winning Hands Down

41 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 12, 2011 at 11:18 am

We have the same sleeping schedule. My alarm goes off at 5:15 every morning and I don’t head up to bed until around 10-10:30 every night. I know I don’t fall asleep until closer to 11 though. It adds up!

42 Courtney October 12, 2011 at 11:37 am

It definitely does add up…something I need to work on for sure!

43 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health October 12, 2011 at 11:32 am

LOVE that little ghost! It’s so cute :). And I will totally hold you accountable if you want haha…I try to get 8-9 hours every night. I need it desperately, otherwise I start to get sick!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Negative to Positive

44 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] October 12, 2011 at 11:34 am

I don’t get enough sleep either; it’s probably my least healthiest habit, too. I love my morning time though.
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] recently posted..What I’m Loving Lately II

45 Courtney October 12, 2011 at 11:36 am

I know…mornings are my favorite time of day!

46 Taylor @ Crumbs Don't Count October 12, 2011 at 11:35 am

haha, sleep is actually one of the things I WON’T compromise on (with a few rare exceptions).

I force myself into bed at night by asking myself “will I REALLY remember what happened in this episode a week or two from now?” Since the answer is always NO, it makes it easier to turn off the TV and go to bed since SLEEP is actually something that IS important.
Taylor @ Crumbs Don’t Count recently posted..Taylor Taylor Thomas

47 Stellina October 12, 2011 at 11:44 am

I just wrote a post about this too!I need more sleep also! I wake up at 6:25 every morning and don’t get home untill 6:20-6:30 pm every night! I goto bed around 11 or so, but since I always wake up during the I don’t nearly get enough sleep. Helpppppppppppp…haha
Stellina recently posted..Sleepy Head

48 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy October 12, 2011 at 11:46 am

I don’t get enough sleep. I usually go to bed around 11 (sometimes later) and wake up at 6. I feel much better when I get 8-9 hours of sleep..but it’s hard to do with a busy schedule!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Things I Learned as a Bridesmaid

49 Lily October 12, 2011 at 11:46 am

I usuall get around 8 hours of sleep! I know if I don’t I will feel pretty awful. If I don’t get enough I’ll pretty cranky haha so I try my best to get my 8!

Sometimes if I don’t I use weekends to “catch up” which always feel great!

50 Molly October 12, 2011 at 11:51 am

i do not get enough sleep either :( and i hate it!! I try to get more sleep but I have early classes everyday and then I am forced to stay up semi-late to study. Sleep + school is hard to mix.
Molly recently posted..Get-away weekend

51 Kim @ The Family Practice October 12, 2011 at 11:55 am

Just you wait! I used to think that I couldn’t wait for a “job” to have real hours and no homework, so I had a normal schedule- ha! You can only enjoy the season of life you are in – don’t wait for the next one :)
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..Working Mommy Wednesday

52 Kim @ The Family Practice October 12, 2011 at 11:54 am

That’s an unhealth confession lots of us should make. It’s not like we need to stay up watching TV. On the other hand, I feel like I need some time to wind down a bit that’s all mine – and I don’t want to spend my only alone time sleeping.
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..Working Mommy Wednesday

53 Shari @ The Daily Dish October 12, 2011 at 11:56 am

I need to get better about the going to sleep on time. Early AM workouts are hard when you are still half asleep. :)
Shari @ The Daily Dish recently posted..Fall Cozies

54 Candice October 12, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Your right! sleep is super important and I bet the majority of adults don’t get enough! I can tell when I don’t get enough sleep I am more snacky throughout the day and maybe a little irritable ;)
I recently posted about my “bad habit” of gum chewing! On day three of NO gum! This is big. I feel better overall though! NO bloating or belly aches.
Way to go on committing to more sleep!
Candice recently posted..Banana Protein Bars

55 Courtney October 12, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Good for you on no gum! I used to chew a LOT of gum but have done a pretty good job of toning it down lately

56 Cute~Ella October 12, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I love sleep, but I rarely sleep more than 5 or 6 hours and function alright on 4 and although I’ve never been formally diagnosed (if there is such a thing?) I’m often an insomniac and will go for a two or more days with less than 4 hours of sleep combined.

There’s the added bonus of if I go to bed and fall asleep before 10, I’m guaranteed to be up before 4 and angry at the world. Who wants to start a day like that?
Cute~Ella recently posted..Five Questions for Your Friday

57 Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled October 12, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I’m totally with you on sleep. I think I get enough, but there are times when I could so take a nap. I don’t think it’s the number I sleep, but the quality of it. I do sleepwalk and sleeptalk a lot, which likely means I’m not resting.

And I think it’s super critical. I’ve ready many articles that say that too few hours can make you gain weight. I’ll support sleep as a “diet remedy” any day!
Rosa – Fitness, Food, Fulfilled recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

58 Danica @ It's Progression Not Perfection October 12, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I’ve figured out that I truly need 7.5-8 hours of sleep a night to feel my best. I always get at least 7, but usually 8 or a little more…I also think that making a routine is key to getting enough sleep, maybe that would help you get into the habit of sleeping more? Just a suggestion : )
p.s. I like that you called attention to the importance of sleep in living a healthy lifestyle
Danica @ It’s Progression Not Perfection recently posted..WIAW #6

59 Katharine October 12, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I must confess: I do the same thing. In the back of my head I know I need more sleep, but because I function on what I’ve been getting, more sleep has been the last thing on my priority list. Last week everything finally caught up with me and I realized sweet slumber can no longer be on the backburner. I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s been neglecting this necessity!
Katharine recently posted..As Promised…

60 Heather October 12, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Sleep is crucial! It is crucial for proper digestion and mineral absorption and leaves you ready to conquer your day!

I’m a bit of a nazi about it, mainly because I’ve grown to listen to my body and it SCREAMS at me if I don’t get 7 hours. That’s my magic number. Any less and I’m a groggy monster. ;-)
Heather recently posted..Can You Roll?

61 Anita October 12, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Oh my gosh he is ADORABLE! I’ve never been to Kirklands, but my hometown is Kirkland! We’re known for Costco, though, not for those adorable ghosts! :)
Anita recently posted..Five Things (or) Happy As A Clam

62 Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 12, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I get at least 8 or 9 hours per night. I NEED my sleep. Badly :)
Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..What Is Nutritional Yeast ?

63 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries October 12, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I NEED sleep. I can function on 6 hours one day a week. I need 7, ideally 8. But I can’t seem to ever, ever sleep in. On a good day, I’ll wake up naturally between 7:30 – 7:45 (and that’s sleeping in)
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Love Languages

64 Erica October 12, 2011 at 3:36 pm

my good sleep number is 8 hours. 7 is good too…but i normally only get 5-6 hours. it’s so hard for me to get to bed early enough to get 7-8 hours!!! i really need to work on that!
Erica recently posted..writer’s block

65 Heather T October 12, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I used to get enough sleep! Up until about 5 weeks ago :op Hopefully Logan will start sleeping more soon so Mike and I can get some more sleep :) At least it’s an awesome reason to be sleep deprived. I love that little guy :)

66 Courtney October 12, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Awwwwww!!! :-D

67 e@thisnotedlife October 12, 2011 at 4:00 pm

i am psychotic about my sleep and i just feel terrible when i don’t get enough. I blame it on years of competitive swimming when i had to be up at 4am to get to practice and then again in college .. blegh. Anyhow – these days I get about 8-9 hours each night and i LOVE it :)
e@thisnotedlife recently posted..this is life

68 Lizzie October 12, 2011 at 5:53 pm

yum! love your eats and i crash on my sofa alllll the time! i dont get much sleep during the school year!!
Lizzie recently posted..WIAW+Possible Friend Readers

69 Carissa October 12, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I am raising my hand as a fellow Kirkland’s addict. Their stuff is SO cute and I love decorating for the holidays. I’m actually not good at decorating my house unless it’s for the holidays or a pink/princess theme like my office! :)

A kirkland’s gift card is on my birthday wish list!!!! :) And a new holiday decor tupperware box should be too!
Carissa recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday v.16.0- Quinoa Fried Rice

70 debbie (accidently delish) October 12, 2011 at 6:32 pm

first off CUTEST SLEEPING PICTURE EVER. love it.

second, random question. when you make your buckwheat bowls, do you just use the 1/4 cup serving size? just curious.

glad you enjoyed your rest day. we all need them <3
debbie (accidently delish) recently posted..By: Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons

71 Lindsey @ Cardio Pizza October 12, 2011 at 7:14 pm

I always try and get at least 7 hours, if not more. I feel like complete crap with less than 7 hours.

On days I have to wake up at 5am, I make sure I am in my bed by 9:30 and asleep by 10. It can take some getting used to, but I find once my body is on a set schedule, it becomes a habit.

On days I don’t have to wake up that early, I still go to bed between 9:30 and 10:30 and get 8-9 hours. I love sleep! :)

72 Lauren October 12, 2011 at 7:26 pm

I have been a lurker on your blog for a few (6?) months. I recently made your apple cider cupcakes for a party. they were a-mazing and I shared the recipe (along with your blog) with everyone at the party.

You are so positive, and I feel supported in this healthy eating and exercise living everytime I read your blog. Also, thanks for the constant pics of Cody — they always make me smile.

73 Courtney October 12, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Thanks for coming out of lurker status, Lauren! ;)
I’m so glad that the apple cider cupcakes were a hit…but I’m more excited that you love Cody pics. I’m sorta partial to those too :-D

74 Jaclyn October 13, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I know that I just got to Paris about 2 weeks ago, was SO hard to adjust to the time zone… other than being hungry tired lethargic with a lack of sleep, comes…. SICK!! i got sick a short time after my lost nights of sleep, largely in part i think because of that

sleep = importante :]

75 Frannie October 15, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I must confess that I have the same issue – up at 5 or 530 at the latest and to bed around 11 or sometimes 12!
Frannie recently posted..Greek Feast and a Gingery Breakfast :)

76 Samantha October 17, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Oh, I so know that I need more sleep too. I always seem to have way too much do to go to bed early. This past weekend I slept 9 hours two nights! That’s crazy for me!
Samantha recently posted..And We Have a Winner…