Fashion Friday: Upcoming Trends

by Courtney on October 14, 2011

Happy Fashion Friday! Today, I’ve got another fun guest post for you all, featuring some of the latest upcoming trends in jeans and denim. When Khushboo told me that she’s been working in the industry for the past few months, I knew she’d be able to give us all a heads up on the goods…and she has! Enjoy!

*****

Hi guys! My name is Khushboo and I blog about my healthy living journey in Mumbai. It’s mainly based on food & fitness but every so often, I like to spice it up with other topics. Since I first read Courtney’s guest post on Carrots ‘n’ Cake way back, I’ve been hooked! I love her optimism and general zest for life…and of course all her drool-worthy recipes.

Had someone suggested I wrote a guest post for “Fashion Friday” a few years ago, I would have laughed. Although I can’t say I’m a fashionista per say, I’d like to think that working with denim over the last few months has had its perks in both finding out the inside scoop, and about upcoming trends…at least where jeans are concerned.

1) Wax-Coated Denim

clip_image002

J Brand Maria in Ozzy

I’ll be honest, the term ‘wax-coated’ didn’t sound too pleasant initially. After seeing the reaction it has stirred with our clients and then actually trying on a pair, that opinion sure went out the window. These are like a pair of leather pants without the added insecurity. The soft fabric also provides my skin with a lot of breathing space, which is ideal given the rising temperatures in Mumbai. More than that, they’re more affordable and still maintain that slick aesthetic look. And since I am a ‘healthy living blogger’ and all, I can’t help to add: they’re vegan-friendly! Winking smile

2) Bright Colors

clip_image004

Adriano Goldschmied Stilt in Deep Purple

Earlier this year, someone had the ‘bright’ idea to add a little color to the world of denim. From electric shades of blue to shocking pink, lemon yellow and fuchsia, denim stores look rainbow’ed out! Although the temperatures are cooling down, colors are still hot this season. Think more subdued, darker shades like burgundy, eggplant, camel and teal.

3) Corduroys

clip_image005

Goldsign Corduroy Flare Pants

Did you know that ‘corduroy’ stems from the French phrase ‘corde de roi’ which means ‘fit for a king’? That right there is proof that corduroys are pretty baller! Although I remember kids wearing these at the playground way back in middle school, designers are bringing sexy corduroy back. If budgets only extend to 1 or 2 pair of pants this season, corduroys are likely to give you the best bang for your buck. Whether you are heading to a business meeting, a play-date with your kid(s), or just venturing into the blistery cold, these will surely do the trick.

Thanks Courtney for the opportunity to guest post and I hope you guys will stop by my blog and say hi!

*And thanks, Khushboo, for keeping us up to date on some of the latest trends!

Question for the Afternoon:

What fashion trend are YOU loving this season?

1 Sweet and Savvy October 14, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I’m loving the courdory jeans!

2 Alysha @ She's on the Run October 14, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I’m wearing corduroy pants right now :) So glad I’m on trend.
Alysha @ She’s on the Run recently posted..Pumpkin Doughnut Muffins

3 Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life October 14, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I think I’m loving the same trends as I have been the past few falls-boots, leggings and sweaters! You can never go wrong with those!!!
Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life recently posted..Workout of the Week- Calorie Blasting Circuit

4 colleen @ thegiftofmondays October 14, 2011 at 8:17 pm

i’m with you kjirsten! i love the boots, leggings and sweaters!!!
colleen @ thegiftofmondays recently posted..i used to have an eating disorder

5 Khushboo October 14, 2011 at 11:51 pm

When I was living in London, that used to be my standard outfit during the winter..helllo comfort :)
Khushboo recently posted..Brown Paper Bag is baaack!

6 Liz @ Tip Top Shape October 14, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I rocked some corduroy yesterday!! I don’t know if this is really a trend–but I love short-ish skirts with tights and boots. Sort of obsessed with them.
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Rainy Thursdays

7 Tara Deal October 14, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I am LOVING brightly colored corduroys!! :)
Tara Deal recently posted..Family Lunch

8 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life October 14, 2011 at 2:04 pm

I really want a pair of colored jeans so bad. I’m really tall and have a hard time finding jeans that don’t look like I stole them from my younger sister. I love cords!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Walking in a Winter Wonderland

9 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles October 14, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I’m loving color blocking! :) I can pull that one off!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Mini Pumpkin Muffins > Regular Pumpkin Muffins

10 Candice October 14, 2011 at 3:42 pm

courduroys.. really?! cue flashback to jr. high… now.
haha! not to sure about that one..
wax, color, okay.. can do. can I make the bright spandex come back to? Now I could rock that;)
Candice recently posted..Banana Protein Bars

11 Hope October 14, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I really like those corduroys! I used to wear them a lot growing up.
Hope recently posted..My New Favorite Smart Cup…

12 Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com October 14, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Love the cords and the bright colors! Not a huge fan of the wax-coated denim. I love J Brand jeans, but I prefer mine wax-free. :)
Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com recently posted..Broke-Ass Thursday

13 Khushboo October 14, 2011 at 11:52 pm

Haha same here- they’re quite pricey but after trying on J Brands, I can’t/don’t want to wear any other jeans!
Khushboo recently posted..Brown Paper Bag is baaack!

14 Kristi October 14, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Have you tried washing the wax jeans? My sister did — following the washing instructions — and all the wax came off. Now she’s just got … jeans.

15 Khushboo October 14, 2011 at 11:53 pm

So far I haven’t seen/heard of any problems…that’s such a shame though! Hope she was able to take it back to the store?
Khushboo recently posted..Brown Paper Bag is baaack!

16 Sara K October 15, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Khushboo!!! Yayyy love this post- wax-coated denim, hmmm perhaps that’s a little waxy for my taste, but I would like to give the coloured denim a go- I saw some cute ones by Paige the other day at Nordstrom.
Trends I’m loving this season though? Colour-blocking and the whole mod look- tweeds and the like as well :)
Sara K recently posted..Vive le Vendredi!

17 Kellie Wagner October 16, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I still love fashion scarves! Cute, simple, cheap, and they actually keep me warmer. I hope this fad sticks around!
Kellie Wagner recently posted..Galena Wine and Cheese Tour