A Month Is A Long Time

This morning, I was very quickly reminded of how long it’s been since I last went for a run on the treadmill. After a quick glance at my workout log, I realized that other than a couple quick sessions of HIIT during the challenge, I actually hadn’t completed any sort of run since September 20th. Ohh boy. A month is a long time…

Unsure of how things would go, I laced up my sneakers and prepared for my Pyramid Treadmill Run. Even though I finished, well, let’s just say that I basically got my butt handed to me. Yowsahs, that was one tough run. Looks like it’s time to start working that running endurance back up again.

Post run, I came upstairs to get my stretch on and was not at all surprised to notice a visitor shortly after. I’m telling ya…he’s got a special radar.

Code-man also made sure to stretch out the limbs this morning.

IMG_9136IMG_9137

He may not be a typical workout buddy, but I’ll let him join me any day. Winking smile

Breakfast

Today’s morning meal had been waiting on the stove for me since last night…

Voluminous Pumpkin Oats seriously rock my world. Basically, if I could get my act together, I would probably never make oats (or buckwheat) any other way. I mean, there’s basically double the amount here compared to yesterday’s buckwheat bowl. However, remembering to prep them the night before sometimes becomes an issue…because I’m either too lazy or I don’t know yet if I’ll want oats in the morning.

Toppings for today’s oats included half of a crumbled Honey Graham Clif Z Bar (I ate the other half before my run), some granola, and a tiny scoop of cinnamon raisin PB.

Ooop, can’t forget the coffee!

A fantastic way to start off a Tuesday, if ya ask me.

Originally, I was planning on sharing a quick, tasty little recipe with you all this afternoon, but my baking experiment yesterday turned out a little, ummm, unattractive. They’re still quite tasty though, and there is chocolate involved…should I still share?

Questions for the Morning:

What was the last form of exercise you took a hiatus from? How difficult was it to get your stamina back?

Comments

1. Lindsay says

Share it! Share it! Usually the ugly recipes taste the best! I think we can all find the beauty (and taste!) in a new recipe no matter how it looks :-)

2. Karla says

I love your blog! My hubby and I are looking to buy a treadmill, because while I want to become a runner so badly, the horrible winters here (that start in October and end in May) prevent me from running outside. Yep I am a total baby and refuse to freeze outside. I know nothing about treadmills. Do you like yours? What brand/model is it? What do you think is tops when picking out a treadmill?

I haven’t taken a spin class in a YEAR! I want to get back into in soon and am scared haha.
    I took a fairly good hiatus from weight training this summer and am just getting back into it, but let me tell you I am one sore girl these days!
    Lindsey recently posted..Cue Cards & Weights Plan

I think cats are very good in figuring out our routine. I did not even realize I had one before I had cats! But what can you say when your cat already waits in front of the exercise room when it is time for a run (and her to chase the laser pointer at the same time)?
    Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Easy Italian plum tart

I don’t mind feline workout buddies except when they use the mat as a sleeping area in the middle of my workout. And honestly, I doubt whatever you made is as ugly as the dinner I posted last night. So I say have no shame and share away! 😉
    Krissie J recently posted..Ugly and Delicious

I haven’t practiced yoga in months, and I have a bad habit of ‘forgetting’ to stretch! Good luck to me when I bring it back in my life! I have your pyramid run planned for Thursday, it’s been a few weeks so I am nuuurvous!
    Khushboo recently posted..How to get rich QUICK

• Nicole says

DITTO that!! Plus, if it’s really unattractive, and it involves chocolate, I’m sure you can always add a little bit of ice cream and it will solve everything. Ice cream is the answer.
      😉

I still need to try out the voluminous oats trick!

I remember this past spring when I started running outside again – it was pretty challenging to get back into it. It’s definitely much different than running on the treadmill, which I had been doing all through the winter. After a couple weeks of pushing myself, I got back into it pretty easily.
    Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Strength training! I feel like I could lose my muscle in 2 days if I didn’t keep it up. I started the Jillian Michael’s “get ripped in 30 days” program this morning (I bought the DVD at chapters for 12 bucks!) .. It consists of 4 different 30 minute workouts. It’s a different workout for each week, but you need to complete the same workout 6 days the first week, then move on the the 2nd workout for 6 days the second week and so on.. I actually found this morning hard.. on the first day… I haven’t done the types of workouts in her program for at least a month now… and she kicked my butt in only 30 minutes.. haha! I’m terrified of what’s to come, but it’s only day 1 so I’ll built up the stamina quickly I hope!!

Does Cody ever try to jump ON the treadmill with you? I imagine him near you at ALL times, including you getting your cardio on!

This morning, at approx 4:07 AM, I looked Benson straight in the eyes and informed him…. “I am sure that your friend Cody is MUCH better behaved between the hours of 3 and 7 AM, than you are. Please stop trying to get me to play with you. I am SLEEPING.”

In which case, he decided it was a good time to jump onto the other side of the bed, waking Nicholas.

I feel like Cody may need to have another heart to heart with my Ben-ben-benny and the jets.
    Heather recently posted..Orchard Day 2011 – Day 2

Running is by far the hardest for me to get my stamina back! I also find that once I start running again, if I run consecutive days in a row I end up having one of them being a REALLY bad running day. This happened to me yesterday..I ran 3 miles two days in a row, and yesterday I tried to go out for another 3 mile loop and I literally COULD NOT run. It was so frustrating. I ended up running probably 2 of the 2.8 miles I covered..but it was so annoying! This is why me and running have a love, hate relationship!
    Chelcie of Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..Choco-Coco-Nut Cookies

I am taking a break from weight lifting and doing more cardio/running because I am training for a half marathon! Your breakfast also looks great! I will have to try oatmeal that way!
    Siena recently posted..Chipotle!

Since I’ve been focusing more on running lately, I hadn’t done yoga in a long time. I went to my first class in months a few weeks ago and holy junk, some of the “easiest” poses were crazy difficult for me! Yoga is one of those things that you can definitely see a lack of practice in super quickly.
    Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Carbs > Sweat

I am currently on a hiatus from pilates, which when I’m on a roll, I’m going 3 or 4 times a week. I haven’t been since AUGUST. First there was the honeymoon, then I started rehearsals for a show so it’s been incredibly difficult to get to class. I took a 2.5 hour intense dance class this weekend and man, am I feeling it today!! My hamstrings are soooo sore (along with a lot of other muscles!)!!

Yes please!! I’d love to still see the treats…hey appearance doesn’t matter as long as they’re tasty and chocolate is involved 😉

Running is definitely the bane of my existence…I haven’t ran in forever because of my hip and I don’t even want to know what it would be like if I tried, ugh!
    Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..A Weekend of Firsts

Wow, that bowl of oats look incredible. Love volume! 😀 I’m just getting back into yoga after a little break – just a natural break because of summer holidays and other priorites – and while I was a little stiff and less balanced than I used to be, it feels wonderful to be back on the mat and redevoted to my yoga practice! <3 xyx
    Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..Super Speedy Supersets & Blue Fingers

16. Shannon says

Your cat is adorable! :)

I used to bike ride, and ice skate in the winter. I haven’t done those things in over a year. That’s not good. I hope I can get to HVCC in the winter and try to ice skate again. I will probably stink but, hey, it’s worth a try!

Yes… On the chocolate recipe!! I looooooove chocolate.