You Convinced Me

by Courtney on October 18, 2011

Dark Chocolate Fudgy Cake Cookies! (See recipe below)

Alright, you guys convinced me. I’ll share my ugly chocolate goodies, but first, let’s take a quick look at lunch. I had been looking forward to these leftovers since I finished dinner last night. Yum!

A pomegranate berry yogurt that I found on sale at the grocery store. I actually tried it a couple weeks ago and I liked it so I figured I’d go for it again. You know how I am with sale prices. Winking smile

Paired with an apple and, of course, leftovers from last night’s Veggie Frittata. So, so good! Jay and I decided that we may want to try a ham and potato one next?

So now…about those not-so-pretty goodies. You guys quickly reminded me that just because a food may not be pretty, it certainly doesn’t mean that it’s not tasty. (Remember this mess?). Plus, there’s been plenty of other occasions where I’ve been guilty of eating ugly food and I’m not ashamed. Go ahead…raise your hand if you’re with me!

Fortunately, I found a way to turn these little globs from looking like fresh “steamers” into some semi-tempting treats. Then again, after I just referenced them as steamers, I may have ruined it all. Woops.

Okay okay, but really…they don’t look too bad now, right? Better yet, I promise that they are quite the tasty little gems. I originally found the recipe for them in this old little recipe book that I probably ended up picking up while checking out at the grocery store one day. The idea behind the recipe is similar to Cake Mix Cookies, but it uses a little less oil, making it acceptable to eat double the amount healthier.

Dark Chocolate Fudgy Cake Cookies

(Adapted from the Cake Mix Magic recipe book)

Prep Time: 8 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

• 1 box Dark Chocolate cake mix
  • (2) 2-1/2 ounce jars pureed prunes (I used prune baby food)
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tablespoons canola oil
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • Raspberry jam (or any other topper of your choice)
  • Powdered sugar
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
  2. Beat cake mix, prunes, egg, oil, and water in medium bowl with electric mixer on low speed until well blended.
  3. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheet (dough will be sticky!). Bake 8-10 minutes or until cookies puff up and indent slightly when touched. (Do not overbake.) Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
  4. Top cooled cookies with raspberry jam, or any other topper of your choice. (I’m sure Nutella would be tasty!). Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy!

These cookies will probably be some of the softest cookies that you’ve ever had. They’re actually borderline fudgy from being so soft. While the cookies are yummy on their own, jazzing them up a bit with some raspberry jam and powdered sugar definitely gives ‘em a little extra something.  I’d also be willing to bet that they’d be amazing with some ice cream sandwiched between them. Or maybe crumbled on top of a frozen mango-flavored Chobani (<– one of my favorite treats)?

Either way, they’re delicious and they’re quick and easy to whip up, so I think you should give ‘em a try…just sayin’.

Question for the Afternoon:

What are some of your favorite “ugly” foods?

1 Lindsay @ biking before bed October 18, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Chili and overnight oats are my favorite ugly foods:) I actually love baby food peaches as a snack. They are delicious.
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..Shop til you Drop

2 Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 18, 2011 at 1:22 pm

no bakes look like piles o’ poo and I love every single morsel. Also? in the midwest we have a cereal called coco wheats, which is basically chocolate farina, and it looks like sludge.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Scotch and Amnesia

3 Shayla @ The Good Life October 18, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Yay thanks for sharing the treats and recipe! They sound delicious and they really aren’t that bad looking ;)

I’d say my ugly foods are overnights oats and yogurt messes…and for dinner when I sometimes have a piece of meat (chicken/steak) with veg isn’t all that exciting or pretty looking :)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..A Weekend of Firsts

4 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life October 18, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I really like that the recipe uses prunes in it, extra fiber is always good in my book, especially in a cookie. I make some ugly looking oatmeal raisin cookies, but they are soo good.

5 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 18, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Yum! I really don’t think they look that bad at all! I’d eat them right away and wouldn’t even think twice. ;)

My favorite “ugly foods” include: soup & chili (some look okay, but most of the time, they look pretty blah), lasagna, and overnight oats.
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

6 Mallory @ It's Only Life October 18, 2011 at 2:13 pm

those look absolutely delicious to me, even still! if it has chocolate in it, i automatically start drooling.
i find that oatmeal tends to look pretty gross however you make it… although your pictures of your oats always look pretty so perhaps it’s just my photography skills!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies

7 Taylor @ Crumbs Don't Count October 18, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Those look so good…and not “ugly” in the least bit. I have had some crazy mishaps that end up looking a lot worse than those cookies! I will definitely be making these this Christmas!
Taylor @ Crumbs Don’t Count recently posted..Blackjack and the Birthday Boy

8 Brigitt October 18, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I actually don’t think these look that bad at all! The powdered sugar and raspberry jam look really pretty. They could actually be nice little holiday cookies, I think!
Brigitt recently posted..Apple and Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Sausage Risotto

9 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 18, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I almost picked up that yogurt one week because it’s always super-cheap, but I thought the sugar content was a little high. It might be worth a shot though! :-)
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..They Didn’t “Go”

10 Heather @ Girlyeverafter October 18, 2011 at 2:57 pm

I’m big on mixing my food together. I’ve mixed my scrambled cheese eggs and grits together all my life and it’s the best! Everyone thinks it’s so gross, but I love it!
Heather @ Girlyeverafter recently posted..My Weekend with Oprah Part 2

11 Khushboo October 18, 2011 at 2:59 pm

The uglier the food, the tastier! Oatmeal and sheperds pie hold true to that!
Khushboo recently posted..How to get rich QUICK

12 Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled October 18, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I made some s’mores cookies a couple of weeks ago that ended up looking horrible (like flat disks) but tasted pretty good. Of course, they were intended to be a gift so because they at all attractive, I couldn’t gift them. The husband ate most of them because they were so delish.
Rosa – Fitness, Food, Fulfilled recently posted..Rubber Pig

13 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles October 18, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I have so many ugly foods…. I can’t even list one. But- they tast sooooo great! Thanks for sharing- we all cook foods that aren’t beauty queens- and that’s a-okay!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Priceless…. Well almost.

14 Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife October 18, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Pretty sure anything chocolate looks/resembles poo…..but that doesn’t mean it ain’t delicious! I made some pumpkin chocolate chip cookies and boy did they look nasty, but they were SO good. Gone in 1 day. Haha.
Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..FIT Is The New Answer

15 Yolie @ Practising Wellness October 18, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Overnight oats with sun warrior protein powder is my favourite ugly food! It’s so unphotogenic, and the sun warrior makes it really gloopy…tastes amazing, looks pretty gnarley to the untrained eye, lol! :-P And my boyfriend is always horrified when I smear copious amounts of almond butter on a banana…he says that looks disgusting too! I don’t agree though – how can something that tastes so amazing be disgusting, eh? ;-) xyx
Yolie @ Practising Wellness recently posted..Super Speedy Supersets & Blue Fingers

16 Hope October 18, 2011 at 4:42 pm

I think those cookies look and sound interesting. Although, I am not a huge fan of prunes.

Ugly foods that I like are casseroles and chilis. They may not look pretty but they taste pretty fantastic! :)
Hope recently posted..Flowers To Brighten A Day…

17 Shannon October 18, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Those cookies look delicious! Well, anything chocolate (plain- without nuts) attracts my eyes.

I will copy & save in my iPod touch Notes. Thank you!

Ugly foods that are delicious… My mom’s boiled cookies; they kind of look disgusting at first but the combination of peanut butter, chocolate, and oats (Quaker) is just too good to resist. :)

18 Jess @ Jess Go Bananas October 18, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I have had my fair share of “ugly foods” BUT we have to remember: it’s on the inside that counts ;)
They don’t look THAT bad silly girl!
Jess @ Jess Go Bananas recently posted..Dinner For Two

19 Shannon October 18, 2011 at 6:47 pm

They don’t look that bad to me!!!! I bet they are delicious! My favorite ugly food is definitly SWEET POTATOES. I loveeee them and eat them at like 3 times a week, but when picking them out at the grocery store they are just so ugly looking to me….always really dirty and in super weird shapes with random things growing out of a few of them,… hahaa not appealing at all, but once cooked….oh so good