Send Me My Letter Already!

Last week, Jay ended up getting a letter in the mail that made him absolutely cringe…he was being summoned for jury duty.

source

In the almost 4 years that Jay and I have lived together (WOW), I’m pretty sure this was his second or third time being summoned. As it turns out, he’s never had to actually go and serve on a jury or even go through a selection process, but he always hates getting the letter.

In all of my years growing up with my parents, they too would dread the jury summons letter when it arrived in the mailbox. Lucky for Jay, he got the confirmation this morning that he would not be getting another summons for six years, (which he was pretty psyched about) but I’m not gonna like…I’m sort of jealous!

source

In all the years that I’ve actually been old enough to be summoned, which is almost 10 years, I have never gotten a letter. Not once! I’ve actually always thought that serving on a jury would not only be a great way of doing my civic duty, but I just think it would be really interesting and fun (well, depending on the case, I suppose). I mean, I just don’t get it? I promise, I am a very honest and trustworthy citizen, folks. Send me my letter already!

*****

Food Talk

Since today is my long day of work, I made sure to pack up all of my goods before leaving the house this morning:

A vanilla Chobani, celery + yellow grape tomatoes, an apple, 2 (broken) rice cakes, some peanut butter for dipping, and a ham and veggie wrap which looks exactly the same on the inside as this one.

There was also some more Love Grown Foods granola added to the yogurt that didn’t make this morning’s photo shoot, as well as a generous handful of candy corn that I snacked on this afternoon. I’m tellin’ ya, that stuff is like crack…well, I’m assuming?

Today while at work, I also got a pretty freakin’ awesome manicure which I’ll be sharing with you all tomorrow. I’ll give ya a hint…it’s nice and festive!

Questions for the Evening:

Have you ever been summoned for jury duty? If so, have you ever had to actually serve?

Would you want to serve on a jury?

Comments

1. Ashley says

I’m totally in the same boat – I want to serve on a jury too! I’ve gotten the letter twice, but never been called in, which always made me a little sad. I always thought I was the only person in the world who actually wanted to serve on a jury – apparently I’m not alone =)

2. Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life says

I’ve gotten the letter three times and I deferred my jury duty once because of school, but I’ve never actually been called in to serve. And quite honestly I don’t tbink I would want to go anyway.
    Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..I Like to Eat…

You are so lucky that you’ve never been picked! I had to go to jury duty for my local court. I sat there all day. Then I finally got picked to hear a trial. Luckily, I didn’t get picked because it ended up being a pretty big trial and the people served for a long period of time. I got summoned for Federal Jury duty over the summer and luckily, when I called they didn’t say my number and said I didn’t have to go in. I hate how I always get called! My fiance never gets called either. You guys are lucky! I’m jealous 😉
    Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: The Veil…

I’ve never gotten a letter for jury duty either and I’ve had 12 years worth of being able to go. I’ve always kinda wanted to see what it’s like and perform my citizenly duties and also kinda happy that I’ve never been summoned. Would be a good excuse to get out of work for awhile, though.

I had jury duty once & it was not fun! I actually got picked to be on the jury, but the case was really stupid… I think it was over a random fist fight? Anyway, the case ended up being two days & they kept us really late the first night… until like after 8:00PM! It sucked! I think if it was over something I’d consider important, I’d be more interested though!
    Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Workout Fuel & My Thoughts on Spin

I’ve been called 2x (once in PA and once in NJ). I went in each time and was selected only once. It was a really interesting experience. Our judge was really good and quite informative. We deliberated for several hours and even went back to ask questions as it wasn’t a cut and dry case.

After giving our verdict, the judge came back and told us that he thought we made the right decision given the information we had been provided by the prosecution and defense. Turns out that there was more to the story and if we had convicted it would have been pretty devastating for the family BUT the information we would have likely needed to convict wasn’t provided by the prosecution. All in all … it was fascinating and heartbreaking at the same time.

i think you’re the only person who actually wants jury duty! haha. i got summoned once in college and thankfully didn’t get pick for the jury. now, i probably wouldn’t mind getting off of work to go!
    jen recently posted..How You Make a Book

I haven’t but my husband has and he LOVED it! He said it was a lot of fun and he felt a sense of pride afterwards that he’d done a good job for his community. {dork} He was shocked and disappointed at how many people tried to mess up the jury selection process or were just down-right nasty. The attorneys really had a tough time . He said it definitely made him think differently about the whole process and it did for me too.
    Faith recently posted..Weekend Getaway Packing Tips & Tricks: Toiletries

9. Dione says

I have NO desire for jury duty. I have to go to court for a work related thing on Monday (unless the guy pleads guilty, which I hope he does cause I really don’t want to go). I am a lab tech and I turned over some samples to the police one day and I have to go for a chain of custody. This happened two years ago already, and the case was delayed once. It’s just annoying. So no, I have no desire to ever serve on a jury, I would probably say or do anything to get out of it:)

too funny!!! i am 42 and have never been asked to do jury duty either although i want to so much!!! i take that back, i did get summoned for jury duty in florida right AFTER i moved from there to north carolina…i was like, really??? i’ve been waiting my whole life and you ask me two weeks after i move? what are the chances???
    colleen @ thegiftofmondays recently posted..i used to have an eating disorder

I got a summons once but they didn’t end up needing me to even come in and be considered. I was sort of curious when I got the summons, but since they didn’t even need me, it was sort of overrated.
    Meg recently posted..Zits and Other Rambles

• Courtney says

Agreed…I don’t think I’d want something like that. Maybe a blatantly obvious robbery where nobody was hurt and the robber was a dummy? 😉

I got summoned during a slow time with work so I thought it could be fun, but I ended up getting cut so it was just a big waste of my day. I don’t think you’re missing too much–my friend Jason always gets chosen and he says it’s interesting, but you can’t talk about it and I love to gossip so I feel like what’s the point if I can’t tell everyone the secrets? :)
    Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..So Much Coffee

I was summoned to a grand jury once for the sentencing trial of a guy who had commited 3 murders. I had lived in the area that it happened (before I moved to the Bay Area) and remember the massive manhunt for him. It was so scary! I was able to get off due to financial hardship (it was a six week trial and I was living on my own), but had I not, I would have stated that I was biased from living in the area and given him the max sentence. I was even scared to be in the same room as that lunatic since he was present when the jury was being selected. Yikes!
    Rosa – Fitness Food Fulfilled recently posted..Easy Run + 105 Push Ups

I am such a fan of legal shows and so the idea of serving jury duty sounds so interesting…Seeing the amount of people who dread jury duty, I am sure the reality of it and my vision of it are not in sync at all!
    Khushboo recently posted..How to get rich QUICK

I actually have done jury duty at the teen court for volunteer hours. It was actually kind of fun to hear all the stories and stuff. Is it a candy corn manicure? I saw one online and I thought it was adorable!

16. TheBloggersBrother says

i wanted to be on the jury when i got called to go down, it was a murder trial, but they didnt pick me :(

17. Courtney says

I got summoned once and I thought it would be cool… you go through rounds of questioning and I got to the last round when they explained that the case was about domestic violence and they went through the list of things the guy was there for (all the things he beat his gf with…) and he was sitting in the courtroom staring at us… scared the ish outta me and after that I wanted NOTHING to do with it! I got out of it somehow and would prefer not to go back!

18. Chelsea M says

I’ve been summoned three times! I only had to sit on a jury one time and it was SOOO boring! (clearly not a fan of the judicial process!)

However my sister once got summoned when she was only 8 years old!! My dad had to write back that she had to attend ELEMENTARY school and could not serve :) still a funny family joke.

Served last year and was selected. Sat through two days of testimony. When the time came to pick who of the 13 jurors would be the alternate (i.e. the person who had to sit through the whole thing but not be part of the deliberation and decision), I was picked. So I got to leave. A bummer to go through that whole process and not see it through till the end. But the lady next to me whispered as I was leaving that she would’ve voted for me to be the jury fore-person, which I did not want to do. So maybe a blessing in disguise. In the end, the verdict was the same as I was thinking – guilty.

I agree! I had to report for a Federal case and was so excited! Unfortunately, I had a really high juror number and they ended up selecting a jury before ever getting to mine :(
    The whole process was fascinating though and I did get far enough to hear the basic facts of the case. We’ll get our crack at it sometime Courtney!
    Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..It was at the Tulip Festival…

21. Carrie says

Ive had Jury Duty once and I got selected to be on the case. Luckily it was only for 3 days because I was in college at the time. It was a DUI case, and I was the only one who thought the guy was guilty, (but I think everyone just wanted to leave so they were all agreeing with each other) but that is just it, you cant go home until all the people agree. I was even in tears, but they finally convinced me that since it was everyone against me that I would never win so I just gave in….

22. Jen says

I was summoned 4 years ago and got picked for a pretty highly publicized case against a high school teacher accused of sexually assaulting a female student. We found him not guilty on all 3 counts (if he was not guilty of 1 then he could not be found guilty of the other 2). The girl’s story just didn’t hold up (not to mention her dress, appearance, etc…) and none of it was really credible. No evidence to prove anything. We made our decision in less than 45 minutes. Actually, when we were finally able to all talk it was just an instant “no way” all around.

The hardest thing with it was that you can’t talk about it… AT ALL. Of course it is at your own discretion but still… it is so hard to just keep it all in! Since this was a pretty highly publicized case here in my area it was kind of hard, had to walk out of the room when the news came on, stuff like that. I absolutely LOVED the experience though and can’t wait to do it again if I ever get picked. Our group was VERY diverse, both ethnically and age wise. They actually picked a girl from the original panel that was a former student of this man, I found that interesting since really it could have been a conflict of interest. After doing it, I get really angry with people who just want to moan about getting summoned… I learned a lot from it and it was just a really cool experience to see our judicial system at work!