Fashion Friday: Daytime Makeup

by Courtney on October 21, 2011

Happy Fashion Friday!

Today’s Topic: The Daytime Makeup Look

Howdy, friends! Today I have a super fun fashion Friday guest post for you all, focusing on one of my favorite things, makeup. The lovely Steph has done an amazing job of putting together a step-by-step tutorial on how to achieve the perfect daytime makeup look. So whether you’re a makeup every day gal or just prefer to go au natural with the occasional swipe of the lip gloss, Steph has some great tips that will work for all of you.

You an also check out my Makeup Vlog, to see if we do anything different and to see which items I love to use. Enjoy!

*****

Hi, all! My name is Steph and I blog over at www.StephSnacks.com where I post about my path to finding balance along with my passions for anything food
and fitness related.

Steph

I am sooo stoked to be featured on Sweet Tooth Sweet Life, as it is most definitely one of my most favorite healthy living blogs out there! While blogging is currently a part-time gig for me, my full time work life is in the Cosmetic Industry, which is another passion of mine. I have loved makeup for as long as I can remember, and the first time someone ever did a makeover on me (I was about 14), I knew I had to be involved in this industry.

Courtney has been kind enough to lend me her space and let me show you a ‘daytime’ look (and a ‘night time’ look tomorrow). Let’s get to it!

1. Start with a clean face, free of any makeup. Smooth a dime size amount of moisturizer all over your face and wait until it is completely dry.

daytime before

2. First step first! Use a foundation brush to apply a liquid foundation to your face. It is very important to use a foundation brush because it applies the foundation
incredibly evenly into the skin. It is a bit of an investment (roughly $60) but the brush will literally last a lifetime if you clean it! Work the foundation into the skin until
fully blended–make sure there are no streaks! Personally, I only apply foundation where it is needed (certain areas that have breakouts, blemishes, hyper-pigmentation, etc..) no need to completely cover the face.

foundation with brush

3. I then like to use a concealer for a little extra coverage (wherever needed) as well as an illuminator right underneath my eye. I dot from the inner corner
to the outer corner and blend with my ring finger. The illuminator really helps to create an ‘awake’ look–which is perfect for those tired mornings!

highlighter under eye

4. Then, simply dust a setting powder all over your face (whether it is loose or pressed powder doesn’t matter). The powder will help your makeup stay in place and control shine.

dust powder all over face

5. Time for the eyes. For a quick but striking look, a simple swipe of eyeliner does the trick. For the easiest application, use a regular wood
pencil or plastic pencil (twist up). Gently hold down one eyelid, and line the entire eyelid (right above the lashes) from the outer lid to the inner corner.
Depending on the shade of the liner, your eyes will pop more. I have light brown eyes, and green liner helps them stand out. If you have blue eyes,
try a copper liner, and if you have green eyes, use a deep eggplant shade.

liner outer to inner

6. Next up? Mascara. From the base of your lashes to the very ends, make side to side motions as you apply the mascara. Go over with one or two coats.

mascara

7. Almost there! Now for the bronzer. For a natural but noticeable glow, add bronzer to the outer most part of your face. Lightly dust the bronzer
from your chin to right above your ear on each side of your face. Add a light dust on the bridge of your nose as well–emphasis on light.

bronzer

8. Don’t forget to add a little bronzer to your neck. This will create an even, cohesive look–you don’t want your face to be a different shade from your neck.

bronzer neck

9. When using blush, dust it on the apples of your cheeks (where your cheek bones are) and blend upwards, right above your ear.

blush on apples of cheeks

10. Finally, for a day time look, I like to wear either a clear or very lightly pigmented gloss. It’s simple yet pretty.

gloss

11. Now you are ready to go!

daytime after

There you have it! I hope this was helpful and gave you a few new tips for easy daytime makeup application! Just a heads up, I live by oil blotters.

oil blotters

I pat them on my face throughout the day whenever I’m feelin’ a little extra oily, and an entire pack lasts me at least a couple weeks.

*****

What a great tutorial! Thanks, Steph. Smile

If you check back tomorrow, Steph will be sharing her favorite night time look as well, so stay tuned!

Question for the Afternoon:

What does your daytime makeup routine consist of (if anything!)?

1 Steph @ StephSnacks October 21, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Thanks so much for featuring me, Courtney!

2 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life October 21, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I’m a total makeup junkie so this post is right up my alley! What foundation brush do you use? I have a bunch of cheaper alternatives that I absolutely love including Sonia Kashuk from Target and Real Techniques from Ulta. The beauty blender sponge dupe from Ulta also does a great job for applying foundation!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..A Quinoa Kind of Night

3 Steph @ StephSnacks October 21, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Hi Sylvia! I use a lot of the Sephora-brand brushes. They have a few different options of bristles (synthetic, goat hair, etc…) and I have found that while the goat hair is better, all of their brushes still have great quality and help with the application. MAC has absolutely fantastic brushes, too.

4 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life October 21, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I love MAC brushes, but my wallet cries every time I pass by their counter. I promised myself that once I finish school I’ll treat myself to a whole set of their brushes.
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..A Quinoa Kind of Night

5 Coco October 21, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I am pretty low-maintenance in the morning…as in, some concealer, a dusting of bronzer, and a swipe of mascara. And then I just use chapstick or a neutral gloss on my lips.

But this tutorial was fun to read–if I had more time I would do the whole thing haha
Coco recently posted..Allow Me to Explain…

6 Vanessa N October 21, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Love this post. My eyes are a bluish green (greenish blue?) so I’m totally picking up copper AND eggplant liners. Most days I just use a tinted moisturizer (Aveda), concealer under eyes (and on any blemishes), blush (Nars – Deep Throat) and mascara (Blinc). I don’t like a lot of make up, but I definitely want to try your “day time” look as my “night out” look :)

7 Steph @ StephSnacks October 21, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Thanks, Vanessa! Copper and eggplant (deep, deep purple) are fantastic shades because they can be used for both day (with one or two swipes of mascara) or night (with two-four swipes of mascara)!

8 Alysha @ She's on the Run October 21, 2011 at 2:20 pm

You are so pretty, Steph – and your make up looks amazing.
Alysha @ She’s on the Run recently posted..Milwaukee Empty Bowls 2011

9 Steph @ StephSnacks October 21, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Thank you! Anyone can look pretty (or should I say, and ‘extended’ pretty of their already pretty selves) with a few simple makeup tricks!

10 Ashley @ Good Taste Healthy Me October 21, 2011 at 2:22 pm

You look fantastic! I love it!
Ashley @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..It Came Fast

11 Steph @ StephSnacks October 21, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Thank you!

12 Courtney October 21, 2011 at 2:23 pm

What kind of bronzer do you use?

13 Steph @ StephSnacks October 21, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I am using Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess Bronzer!

14 Hope October 21, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I love this post. There are some really great tips! I absolutely love your makeup especially your lip gloss! What lipgloss are you wearing? :)
Hope recently posted..One Of The Best Supermarket Deals Ever!…

15 Steph @ StephSnacks October 21, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I happen to be using a Victoria Secret gloss in this post! Many brands offer a nice, wet-shine finish in their glosses. It also depends on how many layers you use :)

16 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine October 21, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I have recently discovered bronzer and I love it!
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Apple Crumb (YUM) Pie

17 Sarah October 21, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Hi Steph! Awesome tutorial. I am a makeup obsessed teen, but thing is, i usually swipe on some gloss and put a little blush and i’m out. not even the blush sometimes. I guess my main fear is that the makeup will clog my pores. I don’t really have problem skin and i’m not acne prone at all. But i do want to take good care of my skin by not going heavy on the makeup. I was wondering, if i maintain my daily routine ( wash face with lukewarm water, apply cleanser, wash, and apply oil free moisturizer), will i be able to put on all this makeup with no skin problems? Oh, and could you please name some of your favorite products? Thanks!
P.S. You really don’t need the makeup, you are really pretty without it! Wish i had skin like yours!

18 Steph @ StephSnacks October 21, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Hi Sarah! Thank you for such kind compliments–please trust me though, that I have to work pretty hard to avoid break outs and sometimes still get them! I think we all do ;) While this makeup routine may seem a little lengthy, it is actually quite simple and I can help you with an even simpler routine if you’d like. Please feel free to email me at StephSnacks@gmail.com for a personal makeup routine with products!

19 Sarah October 21, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Thanks Steph!

20 Katie @ Plates and Paste October 21, 2011 at 9:19 pm

I’m all about quick and easy and no fuss. I dust on a powder foundation, some blush, natural eye shadow, mascara and under eye concealed. My whole routine is about 5 min or less.
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..Salad Galore

21 Liz @ Tip Top Shape October 21, 2011 at 9:24 pm

You look so pretty!! That was a great tutorial!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Inter-Campus Shuttle Love

22 Steph @ StephSnacks October 22, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Thank you so much! Anybody can become a ‘more glamorous’ version of themselves with a few simple steps!

23 Steph @ StephSnacks October 22, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Thanks so much! Glad you enjoyed it :-)

24 Sarah Bittorf October 22, 2011 at 6:45 am

Hi Steph,

Great routine – simple and easy! I have a question. What illuminator do you use? Also, I was surprised that you don’t use any eye shadow but just eye liner. I’ve never done that before – I’ll definitely try it!

I’m also not going to put foundation everywhere – only the place it’s needed (great way to not waste)! :-)

Thanks!
Sarah
Sarah Bittorf recently posted..Choco Chip and Oatmeal Bars!

25 Steph @ StephSnacks October 22, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Hi Sarah! For my illuminator, I like to use the Bobbi Brown Tinted Illuminator. Also, sometimes just doing a simple swipe of eyeliner can create a pretty look on its own–especially if you use a shade that compliments your eye color (if your eyes are brown, try a deep green or purple… if your eyes are blue, try a copper or bronze).

26 Liz @ iheartvegetables October 22, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I love that look! It’s fresh, and perfect for the day time without being too much! So pretty!

My daytime routine is pretty easy. Nothing complicated, especially since I often workout in the afternoon! I usually just do a cream foundation with a little powder. a swipe of shadow, blush and mascara!
Liz @ iheartvegetables recently posted..Morning Workouts & Road Trips

27 Steph @ StephSnacks October 22, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Thank you! Hope this helped :-)

28 Denise October 22, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Hey Court! Just a question for your guest…I don’t really use any face make-up just eye shadow mascara and liner. I have quite a few freckles and I would like to get something that will cover up or even make them a little less “there”. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

29 Steph @ StephSnacks October 22, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Hi Denise! I actually think freckles are a really cute feature and give a lot of character to the face :) Depending on where your freckles are and how many you have, there are a few ways to conceal them. Of course, you can purchase almost any concealer (it has to match your skin color or be half a shade darker) to cover them up, OR, you can simply purchase a warm colored blush and blend until you have a seamless finish, in which your freckles will not be as prominent.

30 Denise October 23, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Thanks! Ive learned to love my freckles as I get older but there are days when I just wish they weren’t as prominent. Thank you for the help! I’ll definitely give it a go!

31 Courtney October 23, 2011 at 2:40 pm

You have beautiful freckles, Neesy! :)