Last Night Was The Night

by Courtney on October 22, 2011

Can’t you tell that my friend Joey and I were psyched?!?

After weeks and weeks of waiting, Joey and I finally dragged out Jay and went to see Paranormal Activity 3. I won’t give anything away since I’m sure some of you are probably going to see it, but I will say…

• It was awesome
  • I think I left the theater with a slight tension headache
  • I still like the first one the best
  • If you’ve seen the commercials where they say that the last 15 minutes are crazy, well, they are not kidding. At all.

Before the movie started, the three of us did have a good time being goofballs.

Oh yes, and we had candy too. (Earlier in the day, Joey said he called dibs on the candy corn M&M’s, so I made sure to bring ‘em to share.) The verdict? They taste nothing like candy corn…only white chocolate and they are super, super sweet. They actually weren’t a favorite of any of ours, but I’d be willing to bet they’d be good mixed into a salty trail mix or something?

The three of us had a really good time at the movie, but we had an even better time before the movie because we went out for a little Happy Hour and had Kate to join us, too.

Scary movies are not Kate’s thing, so she had no desire to go see it with us (she definitely would not have liked this movie) but she made sure to join us for happy hour at Chili’s which was awesome. Nothin’ like a double date Happy Hour with great friends, right?

There’s also nothin’ like 2 for 1’s at Chili’s, either. Winking smile

Beers for him, Chardonnay for her (err, me).

We also got there just in time to take advantage of some of their Happy Hour food specials, so we ordered a few items for the table to share.

Bottomless chips and salsa (their chips are so, so good)

chips and salsa

Nachos (yes, there are 8 nachos there…wasn’t expecting that)

Boneless Buffalo Wings for the boys

Since I can’t really make a dinner of chips and salsa and a couple of nacho chips with cheese, Jay and I also decided to share a grilled chicken sandwich. Our waitress was already pretty cool for the night, but she earned herself an “awesome” status after coming out with our sandwich split on two plates.

It was pretty good! Honestly, Jay and I typically avoid chains, for the most part, because we really like frequenting smaller, local businesses. That being said, there are still a few that we enjoy every once in a while…especially when they have 2 for 1 drink specials. Winking smile

I have a busy day of doing things around the house and finishing up some very special cupcakes for a very special birthday girl. I’ve gotta give a shout to my girl…

Happy 30th Birthday, Kate!!

(That’s a picture on her birthday last year which, ironically, consisted of going to see Paranormal Activity 2 before heading out to celebrate her birthday. Basically the same thing this year, only we’ll be doing the celebration part tonight.)

*****

I’ve already got my workout in for the day (20 minutes of HIIT, 5 minutes of steady pace running, and 20 minutes upper body weights) so now I’m off to go make some cupcakes. Catch ya’ll later!

Question for the Morning (pretty sure I’ve already asked this one, but…):

Do you enjoy chain restaurants? What are your favorites?

1 Cara @ EAT. PRAY. RUN. October 22, 2011 at 10:28 am

Okay, I am the biggest wuss ever and HATE scary movies so your review is the closest i’ll get to it! I even cover my eyes during the commericals! Chick flick, please ;) Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Cara @ EAT. PRAY. RUN. recently posted..Stereotypical Autumn Blogger

2 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 22, 2011 at 10:30 am

I’m not huge on chain restaurants because the food is always meh to me. But I’m not opposed to going. And you’re right – can’t beat 2 for 1 drinks! ;)

you have me wanting to see that movie now! It will probably wait until it comes to DVD but I’m excited. I love watching scary movies like that curled up under a blanket.

PS – Boo on the M&Ms not being very good!
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..A Recipe For A Good Morning

3 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health October 22, 2011 at 10:32 am

Ahh I wish I liked scary movies…I just can’t do them haha. I’m so sad those M&Ms were not very good! Oh well, I’ll just have to get the pretzel ones :D. I do like chain restaurants! PF Changs is a great one! Oh and so is Cheesecake Factory. Hope you have an awesome Saturday Courtney! <3
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..New Rocco DiSpirito Book Giveaway

4 Lindsey October 22, 2011 at 10:33 am

Some chains are okay, but I like the smaller, local type of restaurants better for sure. My favorite chain here is Moxies, best Chicken Citrus Salad ever!
Lindsey recently posted..Foodie Friday

5 Jenny October 22, 2011 at 10:38 am

I hate chain restaurants. I just feel like there is nothing substantial about them and no quality food (not to rain on your chili’s parade there!). If I had to go I try to stick to things like Cosi and Panera and even Chipotle actually (tons of healthy options there!)
Jenny recently posted..Cuckoo for Coconuts

6 Courtney October 22, 2011 at 10:56 am

Haha, no worries! I totally agree with you on Panera and Chipotle, though. YUM!

7 Katie October 22, 2011 at 10:52 am

I saw PA3 last night too and loved it! I was wearing a scarf and, I have to admit, watched some parts of the movie hiding behind my scarf! Those last fifteen minutes…oof. I love scary movies, and Halloween season is my favorite time of year!

As far as chain restaurants go, I like them sometimes, especially for specials (like the awesome one you mentioned) or when a totally random craving hits, such as the lettuce wraps at PF Chang’s. Yum!

Have a wonderful day!!
Katie recently posted..This is happening in about an hour and a half

8 Courtney October 22, 2011 at 10:55 am

I had my hands covering my face for the majority of the movie…no worries ;)

9 Lily October 22, 2011 at 10:52 am

My boyfriend and I LOVE ruby tuesday’s haha. We are kind of obsessed! But we also love trying out small local places and supporting local businesses! And we feel there are usually more unique offerings at local places!

10 Courtney October 22, 2011 at 10:55 am

Ruby Tuesday’s is probably our favorite chain restaurant EVER! :)

11 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 22, 2011 at 10:56 am

We typically try to avoid chains too but sometimes they just happen b/c they’re easy. Chili’s is a definite favorite. Applebees is one of the worst in my opinion.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Quinoa crack balls

12 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats October 22, 2011 at 10:59 am

Chain restaurants aren’t really my thing. I do enjoy PF Chang’s though. If I am going to eat out I really prefer quality in the food and I just don’t feel like it is there with the majority of chains. It also just doesn’t really have the best atmosphere in my opinion.
Abby @ Abz ‘n’ Oats recently posted..free day

13 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 22, 2011 at 11:02 am

Ah, I’m with your friend; definitely not a fan of scary movies! I enjoy a good chain restaurant meal from time to time!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..The Best Cold-Weather Foods

14 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 22, 2011 at 11:07 am

I have to say, I was pretty bummed to hear the candy corn M&Ms were nothing special… I am glad you told us how they really were though before I went to go buy a big bag!

I don’t mind quality chain restaurants… Some of my favorites are Texas Roadhouse, Olive Garden, and Macaroni Grill. The privately owned/hole in the wall places usually always win though!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Fitness Fashion Guest Post

15 Aine @ Something to Chew Over October 22, 2011 at 11:13 am

I saw the first Paranormal Activity and that was enough for me!
Aine @ Something to Chew Over recently posted..Almond Granola

16 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 22, 2011 at 11:16 am

My favorite chain restaurant is Cooper’s Hawk. It has a great gluten free menu!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..just relax

17 Courtney October 22, 2011 at 11:17 am

I’ve never heard of Cooper’s Hawk?!?
P.S. – I was thinking the SAME exact thing you were with those pumpkin spice almonds. Thanks for take the guesswork out of it for me….I’ll just be using your recipe. :)

18 Maria@La_Piattini October 22, 2011 at 11:36 am

Mmm Chilis chips and salsa are so good! Luckily there is one nearby and I often get gift cards for there from my students- sweet! I also really like TGI Fridays. But like you and Jay, we like to try various local restaurants when we decide to eat out rather than chains.
Maria@La_Piattini recently posted..Nature’s Path

19 Claire October 22, 2011 at 11:40 am

Eek, was it terrifying?! I watched the 1980’s Halloween II with my boyfriend last night and am pretty sure it had an impact on my sleep cycle haha. That looks like a great assortment of fun foods (all gluten free, I likey!). Glad it was a fun little Friday! You made it out further than me…it was wine, movie, fireplace and couch time around my neck o’ the woods ;-) The perks of aging hehe
Claire recently posted..Shabby Apple

20 Courtney October 22, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Terrifying, yes! :-D
Your night in still sounds perfect to me!

21 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles October 22, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I’ll take what I can get! We don’t have ANY sort of eating joints around here- unless you count my kitchen ;)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Pumpkin + Granola = Good Idea!

22 Kristen October 22, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Hi Courtney!
I was going to see Paranormal 3 last night but I was too exhausted from my first ever Parent-Teacher conference week (I know you can relate to this!)
I’m going tonight though, & I’m super excited!!

23 Courtney October 22, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Ohh yes, I can totally relate. Congrats on making it through! :)

24 Kathryn October 22, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I enjoy some chains. My fave right now is Culver’s. I know it’s a bit more fast food than sit down, but they’ve got some AMAZING food. My fave is their Cashew chicken salad. YUM!

25 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill October 22, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I’m so bummed to hear that the candy corn M&M’s weren’t that great! They’re a good idea, in theory!

I actually haven’t seen the Paranormal Activity movies yet, though I do love scary movies!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Photo Shoot, Take One

26 Nicole October 22, 2011 at 7:55 pm

want a laugh? speaking of paranormal activity….the third one was awesome!…….however, the camera angles got to me soo much when I went to see the first one in theaters, I actually vomited. In the theater…
Talk about embarassing, but now I laugh about it…..or something like that :)

27 Courtney October 22, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Oh NO, really?!? I agree, some of the camera angles were a little rough to watch a few times for me, too. I hope the theater wasn’t too full!

28 Tara Deal October 22, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I saw the first Paranormal Activity and actually really like it! I have always been a sucker for scary movies (I loved the Saw series!) so it looks like I need to get caught up on all of the Paranormal Activity series!
Tara Deal recently posted..Next Stop…London

29 Shannon October 22, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I like some chain restaurants but not all. The ones I like include:
Friendly’s (so disappointed that they are bankrupt and closing some restaurants :( )
Dunkin’ Donuts (addicted to the strawberry & vanilla frosted donuts)
Fuddrucker’s (mad that they moved to Clifton Park)
99 Restaurant & Pub
Panera Bread (love, love, love their macaroni & cheese w/ their baguette- best dinner ever!)

30 Katie @ Plates and Paste October 22, 2011 at 11:53 pm

I too try to avoid chains but will eat at them if I have to. Chilis and TGIFridays aren’t bad. I like bone fish Gill and Panera. Last week on a mini road trip we were desperate for a quick dinner and we got Macdonalds…and dare I say it wasn’t bad. I still think they have a great French fry and the crispy chicken club was beyond indulgent.
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..Portland Eats A.K.A. Pork Belly, Pickled Vegetables and Cocktails

31 Hope October 23, 2011 at 9:43 am

I do like some chain restaurants. I like PF Changs, Bonefish Grill, Panera Bread, and the Cheesecake Factory. :)
Hope recently posted..Raw Chicken At The Outback…