Kate’s Birthday Celebration

by Courtney on October 23, 2011

Last night, since it was Kate’s actual birthday, we met up with her and Joey before their planned party for a little pre-birthday celebration at Bombers Burrito Bar. For those of you who are local, you probably already know about why people go to Bombers on their actual birthday…for the the free, massive birthday margarita!

The thing is a beast, no doubt about it.

I, myself, have even tackled the birthday margarita back in the day…

(On my 24th birthday)

100_0360

While Bombers does make a pretty mean margarita, I really wasn’t too much in the mood for drinking last night, so I passed on getting a drink of my own and just helped Kate out with a few sips. Tasty, indeed!

Since I knew there was going to be an abundance of food to snack on at the party afterward, Jay and I decided to share a BBQ Pulled Pork Burrito – aka the most amazing burrito on the face of this planet. I get it every time I go.

I also love the fact that they serve their sweet potato fries with maple syrup. Definitely a different combo, but I dig it. Winking smile

I ate all of the “innards” and passed up on most of the actual burrito part itself. The filling is where it’s at anyway.

After dinner, the four of us headed back over to Joey & Kate’s house to get things ready for the birthday festivities.

Lots of snacks (Jay and I dominated that bread dip by the end of the night…)

Joey & Iris

And, of course, birthday cupcakes! I had the pleasure of making the cupcakes for Kate’s party last night, and they turned out to be quite a hit.

We went for variety, so I baked up a batch of these, these,

and these, but with regular cream cheese frosting which I’ve decided I like better than the original combo. I had one of those during the party and it was deeeelish.

oreo cupcakes

Jay and I are enjoying somewhat of a relaxing morning now before heading out for a fun afternoon with friends. Time to go make the coffee!

Question for the Morning:

What’s the best birthday you’ve ever had? Why was it so great?

I think mine would probably have to be my 25th birthday. We had a Luau theme (in the dead of winter) and it was just an absolute blast!

DSC00931DSC00935DSC00937DSC00940DSC00938DSC00956DSC00986

Birthday + great friends & family = Awesome Smile

1 Pamela October 23, 2011 at 9:56 am

I wish we had a Bombers in my area because my birthday is coming up (Halloween)! So far, my favorite birthday was definitely my 21st, but I’m looking forward to celebrating next weekend with my fam annd going to the outlets and Melting Pot (my favorite) for my 25th! :)
Pamela recently posted..Workouts: Pinterest Circuits and Cardio

2 Shannon @ Healthiful Balance October 23, 2011 at 10:17 am

Looks like you had a great time! :)
Yum! So many yummy looking cupcakes!
Shannon @ Healthiful Balance recently posted..Rest Day & a Foodie Swap?

3 Shannon October 23, 2011 at 10:22 am

I WANT those cupcakes so bad. My mouth drooled when I saw the Oreo cupcakes; I should print the recipe.

The best birthday that I had? Hmmmm… I’m not sure. I think this year’s was pretty good. In the morning, we went to the Pet Connection adoption clinic at The Animal Hospital in Guilderland, got Coccadotts cupcakes for my birthday treat (everyone else ate cheescake from Zachary’s Pastry Shoppe in East Greenbush), went out to dinner at UNO Chicago Grille, and got great presents. I got a Kindle- I do not like e-readers but I may just give it a try; why waste a good present?

4 Ari @ Ari's Menu October 23, 2011 at 10:23 am

My 17th birthday–I’d had a really rough year and I didn’t want to do anything and my family and best friends threw me the most amazing surprise party. I LOVE birthdays and they have always been a huge deal in my family, but that one is definitely the one I will remember forever. That and the one where I was 8 or 9 and my dad surprised me and took me to Disneyland for the day!
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Hermano’s Piano Recital

5 Courtney October 23, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Aww they sound so fun! I’ve always secretly wanted a surprise party (ahem, anyone else reading…) ;)

6 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 23, 2011 at 10:48 am

That margarita is insane! I’m hoping my upcoming 30th will be the best one involving some international travel ;)
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Apple spice pancakes

7 Khushboo October 23, 2011 at 11:07 am

Wow those cupcakes look delicious as per usual- you’re such a great friend! Love the sound/sight of that drink- did Kate dominate it?
Khushboo recently posted..Profile photos

8 Courtney October 23, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Haha, Kate dominated with a little help from all of us ;)

9 Tara Burner October 23, 2011 at 11:10 am

cupcakes! yum!!!!!!

birthday parties…ummmm I’ll be 44 in January and haven’t had a party…not since I was 8 :(

BUT, this year my teen daughter & I are going away to beach resort for my bday weekend…does that count?
Tara Burner recently posted..Information on calories you may not know

10 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles October 23, 2011 at 11:39 am

YAY for a wonderful birthday! Good friends deserve the best :)
….I’ll be celebrating my 25th is less than a month. So.not.ready. …..Maybe a party would help. Husband? Party, please?
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Pumpkin + Granola = Good Idea!

11 Jackie @ That Deep Breath October 23, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Wow that is one giant margarita!! Looks like you guys had fun! I haven’t had a birthday party in years…though I dont have a big one coming up for 2 more years. I might as well have one next year for fun :)
Jackie @ That Deep Breath recently posted..Playing “Catch-Up”

12 Liz @ Tip Top Shape October 23, 2011 at 12:21 pm

OMG–that margarita is insane!! Does anyone ever actually finish it? I feel like if I did, you’d have to scrape me off the floor!

My best birthday was when I was eight, I think. Can’t remember the exact age but I definitely remember the party! My parents set up a party for me at Build-A-Bear and we all got to make stuffed animals. Cake and probably a lot of prepubescent squealing happened at my house afterwards. lol
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Inter-Campus Shuttle Love

13 Courtney October 23, 2011 at 2:41 pm

The key to finishing is to go with thirsty friends…it always gets finished ;) (they load it with ice, too)

14 Kathleen @morethaneasymac October 23, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Those cupcakes look delicious!
Kathleen @morethaneasymac recently posted..Homemade applesauce

15 Courtney October 23, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Thanks, Kathleen!

16 Coco October 23, 2011 at 1:08 pm

My favorite birthday was my 17th–we were in Disney World with my family and my best friend and her family. It was awesome!
Coco recently posted..Allow Me to Explain…

17 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 23, 2011 at 2:25 pm

That margarita is insane!

18 Brenda October 23, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I’m bugging you again for a hair tutorial :) My hair looks a lot like you hair looked in the picture with your birthday margarita. Your hair now looks so shiny and it looks like you don’t use a flat iron. I would love to see what you do from wet to dry including the shampoo and products you use. Pleeeeaaaase…

19 Courtney October 25, 2011 at 11:44 am

Haha…I’ll see what I can do. Honestly, it would be a pretty quick tutorial since I really don’t do much at all! :)

20 Chelcie of Chelcie's Food Files October 23, 2011 at 4:48 pm

That looks like such a good time!:) i love birthday celebrations, and once again the cupcakes look amazing! I LOVE cream cheese frosting, so yummy!
My favorite birthday celebration was probably my 16th birthday party. I had a sweet 16 party and had the most amazing cake. Yellow cake with raspberry chocolate mousse filling and buttercream. SO GOOD
Chelcie of Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..Apple Cake with Apple Butter Glaze

21 Claire October 23, 2011 at 6:53 pm

I am currently waiting to have dinner…wrong time to look at this post! Everything looks SO darn good, Courtney! Glad you had a fun time!! Your cupcakes are just so perfect I swear :-)

22 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 23, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Wow, those margaritas are quite massive!! It looks like you guys had a fun evening. That BBQ pork burrito with the sweet potato fries sounds so good! I’m interested to try sweet potato fries with maple syrup some time…
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Sunday = Football Day

23 Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 23, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Oh my goodness, I would have LOVED that BBQ pork burrito and sweet potato fries! Yummm!! Looks like an awesome weekend with great food and even better company! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Mom’s Beef and Vegetable Soup