Below 60

Earlier this morning, I had to run out and take care of a few errands which happened to include a few stops to pick up some items for our Halloween costumes.

This Saturday we have a Halloween party to attend with some of our favorite Halloween party-goers, so we’re working on finishing up our last minute details. Any guesses on what we might be? Winking smile

By the time I got home and put away some of the groceries I also picked up, I happened to make a quick glance at our thermostat. Now, it’s no secret that the temperatures are starting to dip up here in the northeast, but all morning I had been feeling extremely chilly. Well, now I realize why…

Below 60 degrees in here?!? Yikes.

Jay and I are trying really hard not to turn on the heat until November 1st, since we’re both sort of cheap and hate paying for it. But if it’s going to continue to stay this cold up in here, I may have to change the plan; especially after looking at the weather forecast for later in the week…

weather

Brrrrr and yuck!

Lunch

I had originally planned on having a yogurt mess, but right now I’m currently too chilled to the bone to consume anything cold. Lucky for me, I had a nice, hot alternative.

Pumpkin Black Bean Soup, woop!

I froze about half of the batch from the last time I made it and ended up taking it out late last week to have for lunches or last-minute dinners (I had some for lunch on Friday). Today definitely seemed like a perfect day to dig in to the “second” batch, so I enjoyed a big ‘ol bowl of it, along with another slice of pumpkin gingerbread.

I’m pretty positive I’ll find a way to add a slice of that at every meal until it’s gone.

Pumpkin Update

Remember when I showed you guys our pumpkins from yesterday’s Fall Festival?

Well, I left out one very important detail, which Sarah quickly reminded me of this morning. You guys see the three pumpkins on the bottom step? Believe it or not, they are actually FAKE pumpkins.

IMG_9271 - Copy

Sarah and Jeff couldn’t find any real pumpkins on their way over yesterday, so they ended up grabbing a couple of foam pumpkins at the local craft store. You can see Sarah’s fake one here…

IMG_9259 - Copy

The fake pumpkins can actually be carved out with the same tools you would use on a regular pumpkin, only

• You don’t have to deal with the icky pumpkin guts
  • You can keep it forever!

Pretty cool, right? Just a little FYI for those of you who commented on your aversion to the icky punkin’ innards. Smile

I’ve got some serious studying to take care of this afternoon, so I gotta run…catch ya later!

Question for the Afternoon:

What are the temperatures like where you are this week? Would you rather they were warmer or cooler?

Comments

it’s 85 right now and supposed to stay this way all week but sadly raining most the week too…
    I LOVE warm weather!
    not so big on the rain part though
    We did get down to 65 here few nights ago and I frrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroze but enjoyed having doors and windows open to get nice fresh air…
    though my teen loves the cold and is upset its so hot today..we are polar opposites when it comes to temps!
    Tara Burner recently posted..Eating too much sugar? Ways to cut back

I’ve never heard of foam pumpkins, but that is such a good idea! I like the process of carving a real pumpkin (guts and all), but the foam ones would be good if you are pressed for time and want to carve a whole bunch!

I have tried to limit my use of heat too. I turned it on last night, but might switch it off again. I’m broke, yo!
    Emma @ Microcosm of Life recently posted..Spicy Chili, Refreshing Drinks

That’s just like my house at the moment! We haven’t turned on the heat to anything above the 60s and I always complain about freezing, but my dad just tell me to add another pair of socks and sweater. Yea, that’ll help.
    Huh, I was wondering why the bottom pumpkins had a whiter glow than the orange glow of the others. But that is a creative idea. I’m definitely going to have to try that!
    Bethany @Bethany’s Befuddled Brain recently posted..Paula Dean and a Stick of Butter

Ohh I give you guys props for holding out till now! I used to be so bad with heating in London- mine would go on in September ha…needless to say, opening up the electricity bill during the Winter was quite an ordeal!
    Khushboo recently posted..My weekend GO-Away

Our temps for the week are going to be in the mid 70s and then possibly dropping down into the 60s by the end of the week. I’m so excited for the cooler weather! Last week we were in the 80s so I don’t mind the drop in temp!

You guys all carved really good pumpkins! Those fake pumpkins are super cool! I never knew you could carve them!

6. Brittany says

That is the cutest little soup and plate set!!!!!! I have one, but it’s all white, and I LOVE polka dots :) We have foam pumpkins at our house – not carved, but sitting outside on the steps. I got sick of the squirrels constantly attacking the real ones!

I’m bummed… it seems like Houston’ fall weather was quick lived. Its 84 degrees today! I had to turn the AC back on. Sigh… I hope it gets cool again soon. I love the idea of carving a fake pumpkin! It would never replace my annual “real” pumpkin carving, but it would be neat to have a bunch of ready made decorations that wouldn’t rot!
    Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..Hiking and Sunday Super Club

I am definitely like you and Jay. My fiance and I have yet to turn the heat on. I’ve just been putting layers on and putting on space heater on. We are cheap and the heat is expensive! Looks like we might need to turn it on towards the end of the week.

That is a great idea for carving fake pumpkins! Then you can put them out every year :)
    Hope recently posted..A Pizza Filled Sunday…

That’s a really good idea with the fake pumpkins! I may just have to give it a shot because I don’t have time to do the real thing. It’s in the 80s here in So Florida I totally wish it was colder!!

Myself and my roomates aer the same way with our heater! Even though we live in Southern California where people think we never use heat…it gets pretty darn chilly here, especially at night! Gas heat is expensive and since we live in an old beachouse with little insulation it costs a pretty penny! All about being economical these days 😉

I’m flagging your pumpkin chili recipe…just made a crockpot full of chicken soup yesterday but was thinking chilli for my next crockpot adventure!

I just had my dad fire up our thermostat because it was extra chilly overnight and this morning. All of my pumpkin succumbed to disease and are rotting even before we got a chance to carve. :( I was thinking of picking one up at the supermarket, but I might just grab a foam one instead. Or maybe I’ll do both because I love carving!
    Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Weekend Randomness

My first guess at your halloween costume was the Life Guard On Duty skit from SNL. Not sure how you would turn it into a couples costume though since it’s Jim Carrey and Will Ferrell so I might be way off. It’s hilarious if you’ve never seen it!

We have a few fake pumpkins around our house. They’re great for decorating, because you can put them out early and don’t have to worry about them getting gross before Halloween!

For the time of the year the temps are nice but still too cold for me – day time highs are 7-10 degree Celsius. Our heat has been on for a bit!
    Fake pumpkins?! That is genius!
    I love your Pumpkin Black Bean soup, definitely a favorite of mine!
    Lindsey recently posted..Dark Chocolate Nut Clusters

14. kristen@ livinlifeinlouie says

I havent turned the heat on either!!! Im still trying to keep it off and just use blankets and a space heater when we go to bed

What a cool alternative to carving real pumpkins. I’ve never been a huge fan of having to gut out all the innards, I think it has something to do with the smell and that it’s just plain gross. Do you know where they got the foam ones?
    P.S. Cold weather sucks! I’m so not looking forward to the winter. Makes me want to go into hibernation.

16. Shannon says

It’s so cold! :( I’ve had to wear my long sleeve polo shirt all last week, and today for school. School’s cold. and stressful.

17. Shannon says

Oh, forgot the second part of the question! I’d rather have the temperatures be in the 70’s. My favorite weather forecast are temperatures in the 70’s and sunny. :)

My roommate and I are being cheap, too! We are trying not to turn it on unless it gets below 60 or wearing layers is no longer cutting it, but it’s supposed to get to a high of 35ish for the next two days with 6-8 inches of snow, so we may have to give in. P.S. it’s 80 degrees today…CO weather is seriously bipolar.
    Lena @ Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Brain-Leg Disconnection

I had no idea there was such thing as fake pumpkins that you could carve! I think it’s a great idea. The only thing I wouldn’t like is that there’s no seeds to roast! I love pumpkin seeds.
    The temps here in Salt Lake are beautiful today with it being in the low 70’s, but tomorrow it’s supposed to drop like 20 degrees! The rest of the week will be in the 40’s and 50’s which I’m not looking forward to as much. Temps in the high 60’s to 70’s are perfect to me!
    Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Monday Motivation