Drink For A Good Cause

by Courtney on October 25, 2011

A few weeks ago, I ended up receiving a perk from Klout which entitled me to a $25.00 gift certificate to use toward One Hope Wine.

In case you’re wondering what the heck Klout is, basically it is a measure of a person’s social media influence (i.e. Twitter and Facebook) which also determines different topics that people are “influential” about. From there, people who are signed up for Klout will occasionally receive “perks” or offers, which coincide with the topics that he/she may be influencers of.  That’s about as detailed as I’m going to get on the Klout description though, since I still really don’t fully grasp the concept myself, so if you want to find out more, you can check out their website.

So anyways, back to that wine…

When I first noticed that I had received the perk, I wasn’t totally sure on whether or not I was going to take advantage of it. Typically, I just buy my wine from the store down the street, and paying more than $15.00 for a bottle is rare for me. However, once I checked out the website, I realized that this company really had a lot to offer, so I wanted to share it with you all today.

Each bottle of wine that One Hope sells has half of its proceeds donated to a specific cause, and with October being Breast Cancer Awareness Month, I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to donate to the cause.

According to the website,

ONEHOPE was started by eight friends who turned what started as a personal mission to help out a friend with her fight against cancer into a thriving business which is founded on a very basic, but compelling principle: giving back is good business. The eight founders started the company working out of their living rooms and selling wine out of the back of their trunks. Since the inception of the company in June 2007 the company has grown from 0 to well over 20,000 cases sold.”

In addition to a portion of the proceeds of each bottle going toward the specific cause of that variety of wine, the customer also gets a chance to have a smaller portion of the proceeds from the sale go toward a different charity of his/her choice.

one hope

I absolutely loved this feature, which was what immediately sold me on utilizing my perk. When I ordered my bottle, I chose to have a portion of my sale go toward the Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation. This has long been a favorite charity of mine, so in case you’ve never heard of it, definitely check it out.

Before I even realized that the wines each represented a different cause, I already knew that I would choose the Chardonnay, so it turned out to be a win-win!

The Chardonnay was actually co-created with winemaker Rob Mondavi, Jr., which is another favorite of mine, so I’m excited to try it out. Jay and I haven’t yet had an opportunity to open it, but I really just wanted to let you guys know about it before the month of October comes to a close (it’ll be over before we know it!).

Either way, I think it’s just a totally awesome way to support your own charity of choice while enjoying a couple glasses of vino.

2009 One Hope California Chardonnay

Don’t worry, I’ll be sure to let you all know how it is once we break into it!

*As a side note, I was not compensated in any way for writing this post. The Klout perk that I received is not at all related to my blog, and while I did get a discount on the wine because of that, I was not asked to write about it in return. This post is merely just my way of sharing something that I truly like and believe in!

Questions for the Afternoon:

What is your wine of choice (if any)?

What charity would you choose to donate to if you were to purchase a bottle of wine from One Hope?

1 Kathryn @ Flopoodle October 25, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Klout sounds like a really interesting concept! I don’t have a fave winery but I love Sauvingnon Blanc even though I can never spell it correctly ;)

I love donating to breast cancer causes and animal rights groups. Can’t do enough for the furry ones in the world who don’t have their own voices!

2 Mallory @ It's Only Life October 25, 2011 at 2:41 pm

what a great cause. my favorite wine is a white zinfandel – so sweet and fruity, it basically tastes like juice. haha.
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Weekend Recap

3 Lena @ Fit on the Rocks October 25, 2011 at 2:49 pm

That is a really cool concept! I love when companies give back, which is why I’m a fan of TOMS (although I know some people are concerned with their impact on local businesses). I’m personally a cabernet kind of girl ;) There are so many organizations, I’m not sure which one I would want to donate to…definitely need to look into this.
Lena @ Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Please Don’t Go

4 Liz @ Tip Top Shape October 25, 2011 at 3:15 pm

My main wine of choice is the one my grandpa makes. He’s a wonderful Italian like that, lol. However, Aldi’s Winking Owl wine is surprisingly good. It clocks in at under 3 dollars (which college students REALLY like) and is palatable. Would definitely recommend it…unless you happen to have some of my grandpa’s on hand!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Oy to the Vey

5 Courtney October 25, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Unfortunately for me, I don’t have an under $3.00 bottle of wine OR your grandpa’s wine – sounds like I’m missing out! ;)

6 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles October 25, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Anything delicious. I’m not picky about the kind, just the taste. No oak for me please. This is AWESOME- giving back is the best!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Fro-yo(U) & P.T. Conference week

7 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 25, 2011 at 3:40 pm

This is so awesome – I’m definitely going to look into it. I would definitely choose to donate toward breast cancer since both my stepmom and mother-in-law have had it in the past. My favorite wines are chardonnay and zinfandel. Barefoot wine is one of my favorite brands.
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..How Much Is A Serving?

8 Erica October 25, 2011 at 4:01 pm

i love sweet wines like reislings and moscato…and this sparkling red called magicale bruscheto or something like that.

i think i would pick the breast cancer wine. :)
Erica recently posted..weekend recap: dog days of fall

9 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 25, 2011 at 4:51 pm

That’s such an awesome concept! I love Riesling, but I’ll drink any white wine!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Cheeseburger Skillet Pie

10 Hope October 25, 2011 at 5:54 pm

This is a great concept! I really like it. I also love that it has my name in it. That makes it even better. :)

I really love drinking Cabernet, Pinot Noir or Malbec. I will occasionally drink white wine but I usually stick with red.
Hope recently posted..A Pizza Filled Sunday…

11 Lindsay Loves Veggies October 25, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Merlot is my wine of choice, so I guess I’d be donating to AIDS! Always a good thing! Is it an online only retailer, or are they also in stores?

12 Alaina Johnson October 25, 2011 at 6:44 pm

this is a fantastic idea! i love it and I am currently sending the links to friends and family. I am positive that all of my money and my families would go to autism awareness! so close to my heart since I am a special educator!
Alaina Johnson recently posted..Start of the Week Inspiration

13 Alexa @ Simple Eats October 25, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I would definitely donate to a charity with children with cancer…it breaks my heart!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Stuffed

14 Hope October 25, 2011 at 7:16 pm
15 Courtney October 25, 2011 at 7:56 pm

OMG this is amazing!!!

16 Chelcie of Chelcie's Food Files October 25, 2011 at 7:40 pm

That is such a good idea! selling wine bottles for charity, I am definitely a fan! I love Rose wine..when I was in france I drank a lot of it this summer..but I’m still not a red wine fan
Chelcie of Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..Mexican Fiesta!

17 Kristine @ Running On Hungry October 26, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Hey Courtney! I love that you posted this because I actually know the co-founder/VP of One Hope (we went to college together and were sorority sisters for a couple of years) and they are a FABULOUS company. I always love to see others discovering their wine too!

Not sure if you like reds, but the Pinot Noir Reserve is amazing too :)
Kristine @ Running On Hungry recently posted..What I Love About Mondays…

18 Courtney October 26, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Oh that’s awesome!! I’m so glad :)
I’ll definitely keep the pinot noir in mind – I’m starting to like more reds, and I would love to continue to support the company

19 wine tasting March 7, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Thanks for these kinds of a fascinating blog site entry!

I really liked finding out more details on your subject matter make any difference, although
it really is not something which I might normally have an interest in mastering more about!
wine tasting recently posted..wine tasting