The Littlest of Things

by Courtney on October 25, 2011

Sometimes I feel like my days go by so quickly that I don’t get the chance to really focus on the things that can always quickly put a smile on my face. It doesn’t have to be anything major, really. Usually, it’s just the littlest of things that can make me appreciate my day that much more.

Like starting my day with ketchup smiley faces in my eggs.

Or eating an amazing yogurt mess with lunch…

which was made up of vanilla Chobani, pumpkin, banana slices, Love Grown Foods granola, and Quaker Oatmeal Squares.

Or getting stuck at the umpteenth red light on my way home from work, only to realize that it must have been “meant to be” because my current most favorite song came on the radio and ended just as I was pulling in my driveway.

Or being greeted with this little face as I walk in the door; Cody always has a way of effortlessly putting a smile on my face.

Or getting the link to the recipe for the pumpkin dinner rolls that my friend Andrea made for our Fall Festival this past Sunday (^^click above to get the recipe).

Or the simplicity of unwinding from my day by lighting one of my favorite fall-scented candles, snuggling into my cozies, and lounging on the couch…

with a nice glass of wine.

Oh yes, sometimes it is the littlest things, isn’t it?

I decided at about 3:00 this afternoon that coming home to a glass of wine was an absolute must. I guess I can sort of blame it on my afternoon post, but this glass actually is still not my bottle of One Hope Chardonnay.

I had this bottle of Tug Boat White in my fridge that was already opened, so that has to get finished up first. This bottle is amazing though, and is actually one of the ones that I bought this summer while out in wine country for Sarah’s Bachelorette Party.

Dinner

Tonight’s dinner came together pretty easily, and was quite tasty, despite the fact that it may just be the ugliest food I’ve posted in quite a long time on here. Sorry ‘bout that one.

We prepped our sweet potatoes the same way that we did last time, which turned out just as delicious.

To keep things easy, we paired our baked sweet potatoes with some chicken sausages and a small can of beets for me. Yes, I occasionally eat vegetables out of a can…no big deal.

Now if I could just convince Jay to take care of dish duty tonight…that would definitely be another one of the little things to make my day. Smile

Question for the Evening:

What was one of the little things that made your day today?

1 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy October 25, 2011 at 7:56 pm

My friend forgot about our plans to go walking together tonight, but I took a difficult spinning class last night anyway, and enjoyed resting my legs and blogging instead :).
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Pretzel Cookies w/ Chocolate & PB Chips

2 Claire October 25, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I am doing the after work wine, too :-) One of the things to make my day was taking my car to get service this morning and getting a ride TO and FROM work in the shuttle service. No dealing with hectic parking :-)
Claire recently posted..We Encourage Tuesdays: Wisdom

3 Julie @SavvyEats October 25, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Yay little things! You should upload this to my Little Things link-up! http://www.savvyeat.com/50-days-of-the-little-things-week-2/

4 Courtney October 25, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I was planning on it! Totally thought of you when posting this, Julie. Xoxo

5 pat October 25, 2011 at 8:04 pm

A hug and a big smile from a troubled first grader who was happy to see me put a smile on my face today : )

6 Courtney October 25, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Awww, that’s really sweet! I’ll give you a big hug when I see you at work tomorrow, Mom. :)

7 Jessica October 25, 2011 at 8:04 pm

So true! It’s often the little things that really make the difference in my day. This mining I scored a seat on a packed subway- such a nice treat!

Enjoy your wine (and the rest of your evening)!

8 Erica October 25, 2011 at 8:05 pm

i got my sephora order in the mail today. getting packages in the mail always makes me happy :)
Erica recently posted..weekend recap: dog days of fall

9 Erin @ The Grass Skirt October 25, 2011 at 8:05 pm

The sweet potato looks so good, and I love beets from a can too. :) A little thing that made my day was getting to have dinner with my parents tonight. It is always a nice little pick-me-up.
Erin @ The Grass Skirt recently posted..A happy disappointment

10 Courtney October 25, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Dinner with parents is always great!

11 Shayla @ The Good Life October 25, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Haha I can never make my chicken sausages to look pretty either…it’s just one of those foods ;)

I love it too when a fav song of mine finishes up right when I get home, or it starts up right when I get in the car :)

A little thing that made my day today was playing with my coworkers baby at work since she couldn’t get babysitter for the day – it was an awesome way to “work” today ;)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Facing Fear Foods

12 Liz @ Tip Top Shape October 25, 2011 at 8:15 pm

A delicious salad beast for lunch. It was so good–I wanted another as soon as I finished it!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Oy to the Vey

13 Lisa Fine October 25, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Oh, man. Seeing your cereal bowl reminded me that I have canned pumpkin in the cupboard, and plain kefir in the fridge. I think it’s time for a smoothie bowl!

Today I bought a new pair of boots that I’d looked at ages ago, but didn’t buy until today. I’m normally not much of a shopper, but when I see something I like I tend to just go for it, and I’m really excited to wear them tomorrow. :)
Lisa Fine recently posted..My Favorite (Mostly Natural) Body Products, Part I

14 Lauren October 25, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Sometimes, it’s so easy to overlook the small things because we are always expecting happiness in the big things. So good to remind ourselves that it’s the small stuff that matters most of the time, we just need to celebrate those small moments more. :)
Lauren recently posted..Another Fall Salad

15 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 25, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I love this post. It’s a great reminder to remember the little things throughout the day that are often times not even recognized or noticed. One of the little things that made my day today was the card I found under my pillow this morning from my husband “just because”. :)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Cravings…

16 Brittany October 25, 2011 at 8:28 pm

I totally agree!! The little things always make the biggest difference ;D
I am craving some yummy candles ! I love them!
Brittany recently posted..Best and Worst Halloween Candy

17 Faith October 25, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I LOVE those Yankee seasonal candles! I just bought two for Christmas at the Yankee candle outlet.
Faith recently posted..Picture Countdown To Indiana :)

18 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 25, 2011 at 8:51 pm

A Reeses pb pumpkin was a little thing that made my day… or at least made my dessert!

19 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 25, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Something that made my day today was laying in bed talking with the husband and just relaxing for five minutes. We are always so busy and go go go that we need to slow down and relax every once in a while!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fall family fun

20 Rachel @ Never Retail October 25, 2011 at 9:56 pm

My friend brought thin mint cookies to our meeting tonight. Definitely made an 8pm meeting much more bearable. I don’t think they were the real girl scout ones but they were just as delicious :)
Rachel @ Never Retail recently posted..Trendy Tuesday: Crossbody Bags

21 Brandi October 25, 2011 at 10:13 pm

This is a great post! I can remember teaching Children’s Church one Sunday and at the end of class one of the little girls wanted to pray. “Thank you God for the feet that we have to walk around on,” was how she started it. It was so simple, yet profound for a 6 year old. :) As for today, it would have to be finishing a run when I thought that I couldn’t. :)

Have a great night!

22 Heather B October 25, 2011 at 10:31 pm

You just made my day by posting that link to the pumkin rolls! Glad you ha a good day!!

23 Corrie Anne October 25, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Staying in by the fireplace and hanging with my husband totally made my day!
Corrie Anne recently posted..Caprese Egg Wrap

24 Mallory @ It's Only Life October 25, 2011 at 10:34 pm

sex and the city while baking pumpkin bread made my day! (night).. and that tomorrow’s wed, which means the week is nearly halfway over (i’m being a tad optimistic here)

cody makes me miss my orange tabby back home (nicky)! so cute.

25 Lauren October 25, 2011 at 11:06 pm

I love fall scented candles, they always put me in the holiday mood! Your yogurt mess combination looks very delicious!

26 Liz @ iheartvegetables October 25, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Ahhh I have so many sweet potatoes from my garden that I need to eat!
Liz @ iheartvegetables recently posted..What Crazy People Do

27 Lena @ Fit on the Rocks October 26, 2011 at 12:48 am

A little thing that made my day was seeing the first snowflake of the season fall onto my windshield as I drove home from work. It makes me sad because it’s cold, but it means I’m one step closer to being able to hit the slopes!
Lena @ Fit on the Rocks recently posted..‘In Time’ Movie Screening

28 Khushboo October 26, 2011 at 1:16 am

My ipod dying me just as my workout was ending made my day–> talk about luck!
Khushboo recently posted..Weighing up my options

29 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries October 26, 2011 at 6:59 am

A little thing that made my day was when I walked outside, the wind blew just the right way and all these colorful leaves were floating everywhere and it was beautiful. It made me smile :)
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Tweet That?

30 Hope October 26, 2011 at 8:06 am

I love fall candles! They are the best. That sweet potato looks delicious! :)

A little thing that made my day yesterday was spending the day with my sister. I love spending time with her. Not only is she my sister but she is my best friend too.
Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Bridal Hair & Makeup…

31 Katelyn@ Foodie Goes to School October 26, 2011 at 9:16 am

Just made the same breakfast you had! SO DELISH. Question…how long does canned pumpkin stay fresh in the fridge?

32 Nicole October 26, 2011 at 9:25 am

Pumpkin rolls look delish! I’ve been feeling all things pumpkin as of late. Last night, I made a little fall shortcake, with pumpkin biscuits, caramelized cinnamon-apples, and cinnamon whipped cream. SO good! I may or may not have just eaten the leftovers for breakfast :)

33 Brooke @ yogapantsandpb October 26, 2011 at 10:28 am

The little things are always the best :)
I get so jealous looking at your yummy yogurt bowl! I neeeed it!
Brooke @ yogapantsandpb recently posted..what i ate wednesday: breakfast addition

34 Heather October 26, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Autumn leaves is one of my most favorite Yankee Candle scents, too! I’m also a fan of Farmers Market.

Do you sign up for Yankee Candles emails? they have GREAT coupons and deals. Nicholas and I are actually planning on a little candle-buying date soon, as a matter of fact. I can’t wait to find some scents that bring memories to mind in an instant! I’ll report back with new favorite scents!
Heather recently posted..Hi, there.

35 Courtney October 26, 2011 at 1:05 pm

I actually don’t…but I’m going to do that right NOW!

36 kristen @ livinlifeinlouie October 26, 2011 at 1:08 pm

the pumpkin rolls look delicious! How did you make yours come out like a bun? did you use a cupcake pan?

37 Courtney October 26, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I didn’t make them, but I think she just rolled them into balls and put them in a baking dish

38 Ashlee October 26, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I love coming home and lighting candles in the house. I think it makes it feel more homey (sp?) and I love the autumn scents from Yankee :)

If you want to try a local winery may I suggest Adirondack Winery on Canada St in Lake George. It is off Exit 21 on the Northway and across from Sherpard’s Park. They make their own wine and the pictures for the bottles are all taken in the area by the owners. They have a huge selection.
Ashlee recently posted..New Found Motivation

39 Courtney October 26, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Yes! I’ve been there before – Jay and I actually went last summer for a weekend away and did a tasting. They had some great wine! So glad to hear someone else who likes it too

40 Ashlee October 26, 2011 at 5:55 pm

My cousin actually owns it with his wife. My mom loves the wine and I tried it, but I am not a wine person :/ I have tried several times though.
Ashlee recently posted..New Look

41 Shannon October 26, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Constant laughing with friends at school- there’s always something funny around there! :)