Not Nervous, Just Excited

by Courtney on October 29, 2011

Last night was exactly the kind of Friday night that I needed. After a looooong week, there wasn’t much that sounded better than ordering a pizza, drinking some wine, and renting a movie from Redbox…so that’s exactly what we did.

I finally got a chance to open up my bottle of One Hope Chardonnay, and it was really, really good. Definitely good enough to get me to want to order another bottle, especially since it goes towards such a great cause.

For pizza, we ended up trying a new place that was pretty decent, but not as good as a couple of our other favorites. We went with a roasted red pepper, sliced tomato, and garlic specialty pizza which we asked have sauce added to, but I guess they forgot. It had good flavor but was pretty greasy; lots of paper towel blotting was goin’ on.

We also ordered a small container of pasta salad which is, hands down, the best I’ve ever had. Whatever kind of dressing they put on this stuff is out of this world. I really want to figure out how to recreate it…without the nasty olives. Winking smile

Before we watched our movie (we rented Insidious from Redbox – my choice, of course, not too bad) I spent some time looking through a few magazines for ideas for Thanksgiving…

I don’t think I’ve mentioned it to you guys yet, but I’m actually cooking my first Thanksgiving dinner this year for our families. I wouldn’t say that I’m nervous, but I’m definitely excited and really just want to make sure that everything is perfect.

I’m also thinking that I may have to invest in an actual turkey roaster since my makeshift one takes up quite a bit of space. Does anyone have a good one they’d recommend?

*****

This morning, Jay and I enjoyed sleeping in for a bit before getting up and making breakfast. Typically, I don’t worry about sharing what he has if it’s different from mine, but he really impressed me today with his grilled egg and cheese sandwich. Does this thing not look amazing or what?

Originally, I was planning a bowl of cereal, but seeing and smelling his egg and cheese sandwich immediately shifted my craving.

I made my own egg and cheese sandwich using our microwave egg cooker, which is quite possibly one of my favorite kitchen gadgets ever.

I used a slice of provolone, a toasted Arnold Honey Wheat Sandwich Thin, and some raspberry Polaner All-Fruit spread. Yes, I put jelly on my egg sandwich, and I have Julie to thank for that one. Girl, you were really onto something!

This is a fantastic combo. Try it.

Now, Jay and I have some serious work to get done around the house. I’m really hoping that we’ll still be able to make it to our Halloween party tonight, but the weather forecast is not looking too cooperative for what would be an hour drive tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed that it all works out!

Questions for the Morning:

Have you ever cooked a full Thanksgiving (or holiday) dinner? Would you want to?

Egg and cheese sandwich with jelly – yay or nay?

1 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 29, 2011 at 11:36 am

I’ve never cooked a big meal like that! My husband & I still live in an apartment — much too small for either of our families. I’m excited to see what you whip up; I’m sure it will be amazing!

PS – The weather is bad in PA too! 6-10 inches forecasted!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..The Wedding: Pre-Ceremony

2 Cherie @ Cherie Runs This October 29, 2011 at 11:38 am

I had a very similar night like that last night! {Mostly to celebrate the passing of the NASM-CPT exam!} Sometimes those “staying in and watching movies, ordering pizza and having wine” nights are VERY necessary! I did cook a full Thanksgiving meal last year for my dad, two sisters and hubby at our house. It was splendid! Good luck on yours!!
Cherie @ Cherie Runs This recently posted..Cherie Runs Exams

3 Courtney October 29, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Congratulations, Cherie! If you have any helpful hints/tips, I would LOVE to hear them! I am really stressing over that test…

4 Cherie @ Cherie Runs This October 30, 2011 at 12:14 am

I was super stressing too. Definitely study the chart on pg 169, know reps/tempos, a lot about stabilization, the exercises for the levels, and things from the handbook–mine had a lot of questions from there… Take the practice exam a few times–I actually had a few questions on my test that came right from it! You’ll have more than enough time to take it–pace yourself–the test lets you flag any answers that you’re not sure of so you can go back and look over them before you submit it. Good luck–I’m sure you’ll do just fine!
Cherie @ Cherie Runs This recently posted..Cherie Runs Exams

5 Jackie @ That Deep Breath October 29, 2011 at 11:39 am

That must be so exciting to be in charge of Thanksgiving dinners! I would absolutely love that, but I know I would get stressed out so planning/cooking ahead is key!
Jackie @ That Deep Breath recently posted..Pumpkin Butterscotch Chip Brownies

6 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 29, 2011 at 11:40 am

Haha, I just clicked back to see your “makeshift” one and almost died laughing. That’s impressive creativeness Courtney! I hosted Thanksgiving the first year we were married and bought a $20 Oneida one from Bed Bath. Totally worth it and I use it all the time for roasting chicken now. One thing to be prepared for is all the DISHES! I love thanksgiving but boy are the dishes out of control which you seem to notice a lot more when it’s in YOUR kitchen!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Snowy Saturday

7 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 29, 2011 at 11:42 am

and by “Creativeness” I’m pretty sure I meant creativity ;) haha
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Snowy Saturday

8 Courtney October 29, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Haha, glad you liked it, Gina ;)

9 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life October 29, 2011 at 11:50 am

This snow is messing up everyone’s Halloween plans! I don’t like it al all! :(
I’ve never tried jelly on my egg sandwiches, but it reminds me of my grandpa who used to eat jelly, American cheese and tomato sandwiches.
Fingers crossed that we get to party it up tonight!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Candy Corn Fudge

10 Megan October 29, 2011 at 11:52 am

I HAVE tried jelly on my cheese & egg sandwich…also because of Julie!

And I’ve never cooked a full Thanksgiving dinner, but I’ve certainly helped…mainly in the dessert department!

11 Diana October 29, 2011 at 12:12 pm

When I studied abroad in college, I attended two potluck Thanksgivings – one in Vienna where I studied and one in London where my boyfriend was studying. I hunted all over the city to find canned pumpkin (apparently the pumpkin obsession hasn’t made it overseas….weird, I know) for my 4 pumpkin pies! Since then, I’ve just been an ‘eater,’ not a ‘maker.’
Diana recently posted.."I want to do creepy things allll weekend"

12 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 29, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Your evening last night sounds PERFECT! That’s my ideal Friday evening after a long week.
I have no doubt you’ll do a fantastic job with the Thanksgiving dinner! I’ve never done a full Thanksgiving dinner before, but I’d love to some time. Thank goodness for all of the fantastic magazines and websites out there that have so many wonderful ideas.
Egg and cheese sandwich with jelly – definitely a YAY! I tried it for the first time a few weeks ago and loved it! The savory and sweet combo was perfect.
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Miracle of the Century: The Hubby Cooks

13 Kristin October 29, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Egg and cheese sandwich with a laughing cow cheese wedge and raspberry jellchumash breakfast (and sometimes lunch now) my absolute favorite! So so amazing!

14 Liz @ Tip Top Shape October 29, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Eeww, nay to the jelly! lol I’ve never tried it, though, so perhaps it is too soon to judge. That is very exciting that you are cooking your first Thanksgiving dinner!! I know I would definitely be nervous doing it, but there is nothing better than watching all the people you love enjoy your food. Good luck!!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Soba Noodle Stir-Fry with Peanut Sauce

15 Stacey October 29, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Love me some cheese and jelly and ______, the possibilities are endless! Thx to pbfingers! Good luck w thxgiving din din!

16 Maria@La_Piattini October 29, 2011 at 1:46 pm

That’s so exciting that you’re cooking your first Thanksgiving dinner! I would be really nervous too. Random Q but did you register for china when you guys got married? I can’t decided if I should, but it would be perfect for such an occassion.
Maria@La_Piattini recently posted..No Football For Me

17 Courtney October 29, 2011 at 3:59 pm

No, we didn’t register for fancy china. We chose a set of dishes that we thought would be nice enough for any occasion but also good for everyday too. I also have a set of my grandma’s china that I could use if I wanted but honestly, we just didn’t think it would be worth it for us. We’re not super fancy ;)

18 Kaeleigh October 29, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I cooked my first Thanksgiving dinner this year too, my suggestion would be to make as much ahead of time as possible so you’re not scrambling the day of. Things like cranberries, pie and even sweet potatoes can be cooked a day or two in advance no problem.

19 Courtney October 29, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Yes, my mom has always done the same thing, so I plan on following suit!

20 Brittney @ Brittney Breathing October 29, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Good luck with cooking Thanksgiving dinner!!! I would love to do that some time, I don’t think I’m up for the challenge quite yet though. And I recently tried the egg & jelly combo and LOVE IT!! Especially with strawberry jam, yum!

21 EG Gal October 29, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Ok…dying to know where the pasta salad is from. I love trying different macaroni and pasta salads from different places.

22 Courtney October 29, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Patricelli’s Deli in downtown Troy

23 Lena @ Fit on the Rocks October 29, 2011 at 4:10 pm

One of my friends was spending Thanksgiving alone last year, so I flew out to see her, and we both made our first Thanksgiving meal! We ended up making cornish hens instead of a turkey since it was only the two of us, but we were really proud of ourselves lol. I say yay on the jelly. It’s really good!
Lena @ Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Preventing ‘Puke Face’

24 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine October 29, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I love roasted red pepper pizza. Delicious.
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Target 20938012938, Lauren -23049823

25 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me October 29, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I’m always intimidated when hosting parties or get-together’s but it all always works out. I don’t know why I get so nervous haha
Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..Snowy Night In

26 Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies October 29, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I’ve never cooked an entire holiday meal myself before, but I think next year when I’m done with school, I want to try it. Both of our families live in AZ, and since we’ll be in AZ next year, it would be a good excuse to all get together! :)

I’ve never tried jelly+eggs, but I suppose it’s an idea!! I’m not really an adventurous eater though lol :)
Melissa @ Will Work for Veggies recently posted..Ghetto Grad School Halloween

27 Andrea @ Andrea out loud! October 29, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I just cooked my first full thanksgiving dinner 2 years ago and i liked it a lot, but luckily was only cooking for a couple people or i probably would have been a stress case. I love cooking for others but I get a little crazy if its a bigger group!
And I just started eating egg n jelly sandwiches! I was missing out! I havent tried out adding the cheese yet though…. soon. baby steps :)
PS. that pizza looks AMAZING
Andrea @ Andrea out loud! recently posted..Cinnamon Roll Cookies & New Kicks

28 Lindsey October 29, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I did this year :) But I did not do turkey…salmon and ham instead. But I do cook turkey for Christmas :) It is so much fun doing Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners! I enjoy it a lot.
I think egg, cheese and jelly are a yay :)
PS I hate olives too! Yuck!
Lindsey recently posted..Did You Know!?

29 Hope October 29, 2011 at 7:18 pm

The past two years I have cooked a big Thanksgiving dinner. The first Thanksgiving I ever cooked was for my family and my fiance’s family. It turned out beautifully. Then last year I cooked Thanksgiving just for my family. It’s so rewarding after all is said and done. :) I’m sure yours will be great!

Egg and cheese with jelly sounds yummy! I have yet to try it but I would like to.
Hope recently posted..A Seasonally Inspired Evening…

30 Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 29, 2011 at 7:27 pm

I have not yet made Thanksgiving dinner for the family … you are a braver woman than I! ;) For now, I just like helping by making the dessert and some of the sides!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Dinner through the eyes of a child.

31 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats October 29, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Woo hoo! Olive haters unite! :) I think jam, egg, and cheese sandwiches are amazing! They are even better on a cinnamon raisin english muffin!
Abby @ Abz ‘n’ Oats recently posted..friday favorites–my wish list

32 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile October 29, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I’ve helped with some sides and some cooking but not a full meal by myself. I would LOVE to though. I love entertaining and cooking for people :)
Jelly on my egg sandwiches are my FAVORITE. sososo good I can’t eat it without it now :D

33 Shannon October 29, 2011 at 11:15 pm

No. Our family goes out to dinner at Red’s Restaurant in W. Coxasckie. Every year at the restaurant, there is a Thanksgiving buffet and it’s always mighty tasty! :D This year, the family is debating getting a Fresh Market Thanksgiving dinner to-go. That store always has AMAZING food!

Egg & cheese sandwich w/ jelly- nay for me. My brother loves egg & cheese sandwiches for breakfast.

34 Khushboo October 30, 2011 at 12:46 am

Cheese, jam and eggs is so good, especially the stronger cheese the better! My friend and I cooked a whole Thanksgiving meal for the rest of our group a couple of hours which was actually a lot of fun, and not too stressful. My biggest piece if advice is to cook a few dishes (or at least semi-cook) a day or 2 beforehand!
Khushboo recently posted..I am lazy

35 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 30, 2011 at 9:01 am

Haha, it sounds like the whole blogworld has had a pretty chill Halloweekend- your Friday sounds perfect.

I cooked Christmas dinner for 25 people last year and will do it again this year. It’s a lot of work, but also a ton of fun!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Kitchen Pharmacy

36 Courtney October 30, 2011 at 12:02 pm

OMG, Gabriela! I was so excited to see your name on here!! We need to catch up – it’s been way too long! :)

37 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries October 30, 2011 at 9:48 am

Oh my gosh, I’d be SO nervous to host Thanksgiving. We live in a small apartment right now, so we don’t have enough space to even entertain that idea yet (thank God.) I’m positive your Thanksgiving will be absolutely perfect!
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Real Haunted Houses

38 Stephanie @ StephSnacks October 30, 2011 at 11:12 am

Your Friday night sounds so nice and relaxing. I have never had to cook a really big meal for my family but I just had a huge party for my sisters 21st birthday… does that count? Definitely not! But I know you’ll do just fine :)
Stephanie @ StephSnacks recently posted..WIAW

39 Christy October 31, 2011 at 9:07 am

We have hosted every year since we got our house. Last year we had 27ppl in attendance. Thank god for our sunroom. That becomes a very large dining room.

40 Courtney October 31, 2011 at 9:10 am

That’s awesome!

41 Katie @ Plates and Paste October 31, 2011 at 10:35 am

Wow, I have to say I’ve never tried jelly on an egg sandwich. Sounds a bit off putting, but I can see the whole salty/sweet thing. I always try everything once so I’ll have to give it a shot!
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..Mish Mash Tuna Salad