Pumpkin Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

About a month ago, I was over at our friends Brian & Mal’s apartment for a Sunday afternoon of football, beer, Mal’s Chili, and friends.

On this particular Sunday, Mal didn’t just make her chili; she also made a batch of Oatmeal Carmelita bars that totally knocked my socks off. Literally, they were just amazing, and I was totally psyched when she already had a copy of the recipe ready for me because she knew I would ask.

She knows me too well.

So for the past few weeks, I’ve been meaning to make those bars, but wanted to try putting my own spin on them. Being the fall season and all, I thought it might be fun to work with the recipe a bit to include one of my favorite ingredients…pumpkin.

To be honest, I wasn’t quite sure how the recipe would turn out by adding the pumpkin. But with a couple quick adjustments to the other ingredients, things worked out like a dream.

The dough with the pumpkin bars is slightly more sticky than the original, resulting in a less crumbly topping and a softer crust. You can see the difference here…

Original                                                                         Pumpkin

IMG_8599IMG_9535

The pumpkin flavor actually is not all that dominant, so you might be able to try adding some more pumpkin pie spice to the recipe if you’re looking for more of a pumpkin flavor. Either way, it works for me.

After taking one bite of these, I knew that there was NO way I would be able to keep them in the house without devouring them, so I packed them up this morning and brought them with me to work. You know what they say, sharing is caring. :)

Now I’m wondering if these might be a good recipe to make for The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap? Either way, these will most definitely be making their way into my holiday baking round-up.

And maybe they’ll end up in yours, too? 😉

Yum.

Comments

those look incredible courtney! i find that whenever i bake…ANYTHING… i can’t keep it in the house. it’s a problem actually- cause what’s the point if you can’t keep it around? i swear i just have this compulsion to keep eating the stuff. i should probably work on that!
    Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Happy Thanksgiving?

• Courtney says

I would have added more but it was all I had. Next time, I’ll probably do half chocolate and half butterscotch.

• Courtney says

Haha…which is exactly what happened with Jay and I and the apple crisp I just made. Gone in three days. Woops!

2. Courtney says

Those look amazing!! Question for you… when it says to cool them on a wire rack for an hour, I always make such a mess trying to get it out of the baking dish in one piece. Any suggestions?

• Courtney says

That is a fantastic idea…and I juuuuuuust so happen to have vanilla ice cream in my freezer right now. Uh oh.

3. sherri says

OMG…Oatmeal Caramelita Bars are a favorite in our house. When my kids were younger they called them “yummy goodness” so that’s our name for them. Definitely trying the pupmpkin version

• Courtney says

Yup! That’s basically what I did – you can see the original recipe ingredients in the link that I provided in my recipe to compare

4. Julie says

I just made these last night and my friends and I LOVED them! The only thing I chagned was that I may or may not have added a few extra chocolate/butterscotch chips…what can I say, my sweet tooth knows no measurements! 😉 Totally gooey and delicious…now I’m thinking I may need to do what you did and bring some to work, or else I might have to buy new pants! Haha.

Trackbacks

1. […] football recipe. Then, I decided it was time for some baking. It’s been a while. I stole this Pumpkin Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar recipe from Courtney. OH MY delicious. I had to bring […]