Pumpkin Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

by Courtney on November 2, 2011

About a month ago, I was over at our friends Brian & Mal’s apartment for a Sunday afternoon of football, beer, Mal’s Chili, and friends.

On this particular Sunday, Mal didn’t just make her chili; she also made a batch of Oatmeal Carmelita bars that totally knocked my socks off. Literally, they were just amazing, and I was totally psyched when she already had a copy of the recipe ready for me because she knew I would ask.

She knows me too well.

So for the past few weeks, I’ve been meaning to make those bars, but wanted to try putting my own spin on them. Being the fall season and all, I thought it might be fun to work with the recipe a bit to include one of my favorite ingredients…pumpkin.

To be honest, I wasn’t quite sure how the recipe would turn out by adding the pumpkin. But with a couple quick adjustments to the other ingredients, things worked out like a dream.

The dough with the pumpkin bars is slightly more sticky than the original, resulting in a less crumbly topping and a softer crust. You can see the difference here…

Original                                                                         Pumpkin

IMG_8599IMG_9535

The pumpkin flavor actually is not all that dominant, so you might be able to try adding some more pumpkin pie spice to the recipe if you’re looking for more of a pumpkin flavor. Either way, it works for me.

After taking one bite of these, I knew that there was NO way I would be able to keep them in the house without devouring them, so I packed them up this morning and brought them with me to work. You know what they say, sharing is caring. :)

Now I’m wondering if these might be a good recipe to make for The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap? Either way, these will most definitely be making their way into my holiday baking round-up.

And maybe they’ll end up in yours, too? ;)

Yum.

1 Nicole November 2, 2011 at 1:33 pm

OMG these look amazing. I will definitely be making these! Thanks for the great recipe :)

2 Khushboo November 2, 2011 at 1:35 pm

These look a dream…is it bad that I’m imagining them being topped with vanilla ice cream??
Khushboo recently posted..Done & dusted

3 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles November 2, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Sharing is caring :) I bet they went fast!!! Yummm! They look so chewy!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Cold Season Tip— Sore nose season fix…

4 Mallory @ It's Only Life November 2, 2011 at 1:47 pm

those look incredible courtney! i find that whenever i bake…ANYTHING… i can’t keep it in the house. it’s a problem actually- cause what’s the point if you can’t keep it around? i swear i just have this compulsion to keep eating the stuff. i should probably work on that!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Happy Thanksgiving?

5 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine November 2, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Wow they look AMAZING. I love pumpkin and caramel it’s a great combo!

6 Kristi @lifesprinkles.com November 2, 2011 at 1:49 pm

These look fantastic!! I’m going to have to try :)

7 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 2, 2011 at 1:51 pm

These look amazing! I’m all for anything with pumpkin in it :)
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Reese’s has nothing on me

8 Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled November 2, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Then we all know that you care about us! This looks so good and gooey. Love it!

I also love that you used butterscotch chips in there. Those are the bomb!
Rosa – Fitness, Food, Fulfilled recently posted..First What I Ate Wednesday of November

9 Courtney November 2, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I would have added more but it was all I had. Next time, I’ll probably do half chocolate and half butterscotch.

10 Lena @Fit on the Rocks November 2, 2011 at 2:11 pm

When I make a yummy new creation, I ALWAYS take it to work or pawn it off on friends. Otherwise, I’ll be eating the entire thing within a day or two.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..The Sunny Side of Things

11 Courtney November 2, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Haha…which is exactly what happened with Jay and I and the apple crisp I just made. Gone in three days. Woops!

12 Ruthie Hart November 2, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I wish we could be real life friends! You and your friends make the best treats!!!!!!!!!!!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..You Had Me At Woof

13 Courtney November 2, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Awww that would be fun!! :-D

14 Shari @ The Daily Dish November 2, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Wow Courtney. These look awesome! Thanks for sharing. :)
Shari @ The Daily Dish recently posted..What A Dream

15 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill November 2, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I love gooey treats so these sound fabulous….YUM! I would totally make these right now if I didn’t need to be in a bathing suit in less than a week!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Nordstrom Sale Lunatic

16 Chelcie of Chelcie's Food Files November 2, 2011 at 2:40 pm

these look SO good! in my opinion giving away baked goods is the only way to prevent eating them throughout the entire day! i’m sure the people at work were very appreciative!
Chelcie of Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..Oats in a PUMPKIN BUTTER Jar

17 Courtney November 2, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Those look amazing!! Question for you… when it says to cool them on a wire rack for an hour, I always make such a mess trying to get it out of the baking dish in one piece. Any suggestions?

18 Courtney November 2, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Ohhhh, don’t take them out! Sorry, I should have clarified. Just put the whole pan on the cooling rack, which will help them cool quicker than if they were on a solid surface.

19 Courtney November 2, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Ooh even better! Thanks :)

20 Courtney November 2, 2011 at 4:10 pm

PS.. it’s always a little weird talking to another Courtney, isn’t it?! haha

21 Courtney November 2, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Haha, a little bit! :)

22 Hope November 2, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Oh my lord! These look absolutely incredible! I am definitely adding this to my list of treats to make! It would taste incredible warm with some vanilla ice cream on the side! I cannot wait to try these! :)
Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: The Shoes!…

23 Courtney November 2, 2011 at 3:47 pm

That is a fantastic idea…and I juuuuuuust so happen to have vanilla ice cream in my freezer right now. Uh oh.

24 Brandi November 2, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Yum! Thanks for posting this recipe….:) I can’t wait to make these!

25 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile November 2, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Yum!!! These look perfecttt. I am always down for a new pumpkin recipe ;D

26 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 2, 2011 at 3:16 pm

These bad boys look heavenly! They’d be dangerous sitting in my kitchen too…
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..November Goals

27 sherri November 2, 2011 at 3:20 pm

OMG…Oatmeal Caramelita Bars are a favorite in our house. When my kids were younger they called them “yummy goodness” so that’s our name for them. Definitely trying the pupmpkin version

28 Liz @ Tip Top Shape November 2, 2011 at 3:45 pm

These look amazing!!! Love that you pushed them on your coworkers–I do that all the time. I’m curious about how you adjusted the ingredients. I’m awful at messing with baking recipes (I bake a lot but always with a recipe) and would love to know what you changed. I’m assuming it was upping the dry ingredients…
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Pasta with Squash and Honey Cinnamon Compote Butter

29 Courtney November 2, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Yup! That’s basically what I did – you can see the original recipe ingredients in the link that I provided in my recipe to compare

30 Kelley November 2, 2011 at 3:56 pm

THESE LOOK AWESOME :) I will have to give them a try!

31 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 2, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Woah, these look completely amazing!!!

32 Savannah @ Sweet and Savvy November 2, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Um. wow. This incorporate pretty much all my favorite things. :)
Savannah @ Sweet and Savvy recently posted..The Thankful Challenge (WIAW)

33 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health November 2, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Wow, those look like something that would just melt in your mouth and taste absolutely amazing!!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Eating Veggies

34 Claire November 2, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Those look like they live up to the title “sweet tooth”!!! Yummy :-)
Claire recently posted..Encourage Tuesdays: positivity for the people

35 Clare @ sweetnsimple November 2, 2011 at 5:23 pm

oh my.. WOW these look unreal ! never would i have thought of pumpkin, caramel and chocolate together, but keen to try !

36 Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com November 2, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Okay I swore I was done with the pumpkin baked goods but I think I’m going to have an make an exception for these! They look fantastic!!!
Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com recently posted..What I Want Wednesday

37 Tessa @ Amazing Asset November 2, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I have only one word for this: Bookmarked :D
Tessa @ Amazing Asset recently posted..WIAW- Get Your Iron On

38 Alexa @ Simple Eats November 2, 2011 at 6:58 pm

I am dying over these. DROOOL. Take my face off the keyboard.
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Hey There, November.

39 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy November 2, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Yum! I opened this post when I was at work, and it made me so hungry! I had to wait until now to comment though…they still look just as good :).
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Tis the Season… for November Goals

40 Jodi November 3, 2011 at 8:46 am

These look delicious!! I might actually bring these bars to our Thanksgiving dinner.
Jodi recently posted..Back in the Saddle

41 Alexa November 3, 2011 at 5:23 pm

i bought the ingredients to make these today! so excited =] especially with the pumpkin kick!

42 Alexa November 4, 2011 at 6:11 pm

these just came out of the oven! can’t wait to eat them =]

43 Michelle @ Blogitness November 5, 2011 at 9:59 pm

I just came across these now and am very tempted to start baking at 10pm!!
Michelle @ Blogitness recently posted..Latest Obsession: Three Dollar Sandwich Maker

44 Julie November 11, 2011 at 8:20 am

I just made these last night and my friends and I LOVED them! The only thing I chagned was that I may or may not have added a few extra chocolate/butterscotch chips…what can I say, my sweet tooth knows no measurements! ;) Totally gooey and delicious…now I’m thinking I may need to do what you did and bring some to work, or else I might have to buy new pants! Haha.