A Healthy Decision

by Courtney on November 3, 2011

Ahhhhhhhh……it’s amazing how much better I feel when I actually get 8+ hours of sleep!

Last night before going to bed, I made the decision to skip out on today’s usual BodyPump class in favor of some extra zzz’s. I haven’t really been loving the use of the old track in BP lately, and I knew that my body was craving the extra sleep more than it was the iron pumping. I’m pretty sure it was probably the best decision I’ve made all week. Well, except maybe for these.

To be honest, it hasn’t been easy to stick with my goal of getting to bed earlier and getting my 8 hours every night. Some days I’m all about extra sleep, but other days, I’m all about extra QT with my boys. That being said, I’m thinking that this will be a good month to really focus on it. November and December tend to be the craziest months for me (and many of you, too, I’m sure), so if I’m looking at how I want to try to stick with healthy habits during the holidays, sleep definitely needs to be included. Nobody wants to deal with a sleep-deprived, crabby Courtney…trust me!

Breakfast

Yup. Still workin’ through those English muffins…

Today’s English muffin went sans eggs and cheese but included peanut butter, banana slices, cinnamon, honey, and chia seeds. I hadn’t done this combo in a while, so it was quite tasty.

*****

Deals & Steals on Home Décor? Yes, please!

I’m tellin’ you guys – I end up getting more fun and interesting information from watching Good Morning America in the mornings than I do any other program.

Well this morning, they had on a segment that included deals on some awesome items to enhance the kitchen and home, and I ended up coming across a few that I just had to share.

1. Sticks and Stones: Personalized Alphabet Photo Keepsakes - 50% OFF w/ promo code GMA.

About two years ago, I was at a craft show and ended up buying one of my own and I absolutely LOVE it.

Personalized Alphabet Photo Keepsake

I’ve gotten quite a few inquiries on where I bought it and get compliments on it ALL the time. They can get a bit pricey, which is why I kept ours small; but with a promo code of 50% off, you might be able to find some great deals. I think this would make a perfect gift!

2. Chalkboard China: Chalk-Friendly Tableware and Gifts50% OFF w/ promo code GMA.

chalkboard paint platesource

There are SO many cute ideas on this site! I love the look of chalkboard paint, as I’ve shown you guys before, but in case DIY isn’t really your thing, this site has some great stuff that would make for some awesome gift ideas (and wedding ideas, too!).

There’s a ton of other awesome deals on the GMA site, so definitely go check ‘em out!

(P.S.- no affiliation here – I wish – just sharing the wealth) Winking smile

*****

Alrighty folks, it’s about time to go get ready for that little thing called work. Catch ya later!

Questions for the Morning:

How much sleep did YOU get last night?

How early do you start your holiday shopping?

Do you enjoy buying home décor or do you dread it?

1 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat November 3, 2011 at 9:10 am

I’m so excited for our house to be finished so that I can start decorating. Thanks for the ideas!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Lightened Up – Mexican Feast

2 Lindsey November 3, 2011 at 9:12 am

I slept about 7.5 hours, could have slept another 45 minutes or so but I decided to wake up :)
I start my holiday shopping in September and like to finish in November. I absolutely DREAD going into stores after December 1st. I am about 70% done right now!
Love being home decor! After 4 years in our house I have finally started to slow down buying it, and feel like the house is fairly complete finally!
Lindsey recently posted..November Goals!

3 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 3, 2011 at 9:14 am

Good for you to get in some extra needed sleep! I definitely did NOT get enough sleep last night. It wasn’t because I went to bed late either, which frustrates me even more. I went to bed at 10:30 with my alarm clock set for 6:30 this morning (my normal sleeping schedule). Sadly, my husband had to wake up at 4:30 am for an extra early job he had to get to for work. Usually I am able to fall back asleep when his alarm goes off that early, but not this morning. My mind immediately started racing and for whatever reason my stomach was growling, so I ended up just getting up. Needless to say, it’s going to make for a long day! ;)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Why Do YOU Exercise?

4 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life November 3, 2011 at 9:14 am

I fell asleep with my son last night while putting him to bed so I ended up with 10+ hours of sleep which was too much and I actually woke up feeling groggy. You can never win!
I’ve already started looking for gift ideas and know what I want to get for some people on my list. I still haven’t made any purchases though.
I looooove home decor. I could spend hours in places like home goods and pier 1. I can’t wait til I have my own house so I can go all out on the decor!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Frankenbaby does Halloween

5 Kayla @ Sprouty Buns November 3, 2011 at 9:21 am

I got 7.5 hours last night! I wake up at 5 every morning so I’m usually more than ready for bed come 9/930. The only bummer when an early bedtime is I miss all the good shows! Going to rely on reruns to get me through Top Chef: Texas :)
Kayla @ Sprouty Buns recently posted..Where I Find Warmth

6 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill November 3, 2011 at 9:21 am

I got about eight hours of sleep last night, but I went to bed much later than usual. I hate when I wake up still feeling tired!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Nordstrom Sale Lunatic

7 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health November 3, 2011 at 9:24 am

Oh my gosh I love those photo letters!! Maybe I’ll have to use that as an xmas gift for someone :). I actually got almost 10 hours of sleep last night haha…it felt amazing!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Eating Veggies

8 Cecilia November 3, 2011 at 9:28 am

I had about 7 hours of sleep.. I didn’t want to go to bed last night.
I usually start at the beginning of December but this year, I already bought one present and am thinking about getting the rest sooner rather than later.

Home decor is hard for me… I just can’t picture how my house should look like.
Cecilia recently posted..Goals:
Weight train/BodyPump at least 2 times per week
Run at…

9 Marla November 3, 2011 at 9:33 am

I got about 8 hours last night. I wasn’t feeling well so I went to bed early.

I usually start my Christmas shopping early but am always scrabbling around at the end! How does that happen every year?!? haha

I don’t have a house right now but we are currently hunting for one. I can’t wait to start decorating! I’ve been all over Pinterest lately so thanks for these tips!
Marla recently posted..Thankful Thursday

10 Ashley @ Good Taste Healthy Me November 3, 2011 at 9:33 am

Thanks for sharing the links. I only had about 6 hours of sleep so I am really tired today. But I’m trying to get my body on a new schedule with morning workouts. So I just need to get acclimated, which means I will be tired for a week or so. Oh well!
Ashley @ Good Taste Healthy Me recently posted..October Recap and November Goals

11 Cara @ EAT. PRAY. RUN. November 3, 2011 at 9:44 am

So I may slept 12 hours last night…which is good because I slept 2 hours the night before taking a red-eye flight home to South Carolina! Well worth it ;)
Cara @ EAT. PRAY. RUN. recently posted..A Nerd’s Favorite Fall Things

12 Jess @ Jess Go Bananas November 3, 2011 at 9:46 am

Yay for extra sleep! Last night I think I got around 7.5 hours…wish I got 8 though!!!
I have never tried chia seeds as “sprinkles” before but now I really want to! :D
Oh the joys of Holiday shopping…I have made my list of what I am going to get people AND what I want!
Jess @ Jess Go Bananas recently posted..Early Xmas Gift

13 Katie @ livehalffull November 3, 2011 at 9:55 am

This is something I have been really struggling with! I just moved in with my fiance and have been so bad at going to bed on time! He works 10-7 and I work 9-5 so we stays up later than me. I have found myself wanting to stay up and spend time with him, but a crappy fiance is not a very happy one! Must got to bed on time tonight!!!

14 Cat @Breakfast to Bed November 3, 2011 at 10:08 am

Did you know the Today Show does the same thing with like 80% off deals? It’s called Jill’s Steals and they are SOOOOOOO FAB
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..30 Batches, Number One.

15 glidingcalm November 3, 2011 at 10:10 am

mmm that breakfast looks soo good! I need to add chia seeds more often!!

and yes, I agree, chalkboard paint is too precious!! love those cute ideas!! :D

16 Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer November 3, 2011 at 10:19 am

I have one of those signs with our last name. I never found a good place to put it, so it remains un-hung. :( I think it’s time I find it a good home in our home though.
Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer recently posted..Dueling Gymnasiums

17 Krissie J November 3, 2011 at 10:24 am

I slept for 10 hours last night. It was amazing. I could sleep for another 10, though. Hah.
Krissie J recently posted..Happy Halloween 2011

18 Lindsay @ lemon lime sunshine November 3, 2011 at 10:25 am

girl i got about MAYBE 3hrs of sleep last night! I for some reason could not seem to fall asleep so i laid there reading a book for hours until i could finally close my eyes and sleep. as soon as i did that….the alarm went off :(

hope things are going well with your studying/training for ur PT certification!
Lindsay @ lemon lime sunshine recently posted..Thanksgiving in October, November walks, and a fat man

19 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! November 3, 2011 at 10:25 am

Wow I love Your J ♥ C… i just loev that idea and may be on the hunt to do something similar to that, what a cute idea!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Early Christmas Spirit

20 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles November 3, 2011 at 10:27 am

Good morning America is THE BEST! I <3 GMA and am glad to know that I am not the only one…. I totally bought the wine sampler from a few weeks ago. Probably shouldn't have done that one ;)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Cold Season Tip— Sore nose season fix…

21 Liz @ Tip Top Shape November 3, 2011 at 10:41 am

Wow–I slept nine hours last night. Didn’t realize that until I counted it out!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Things I’m Loving

22 Ruthie Hart November 3, 2011 at 10:47 am

I don’t know how you and Julie (PBF) get up so early to work out! I NEED my sleep like no other!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..Thursday Randoms

23 Tina November 3, 2011 at 10:49 am

I need to get to bed earlier myself! I need at least 8 hours, but probably get around 6 or 7.
Tina recently posted..Looking Back

24 Khushboo November 3, 2011 at 10:50 am

I wasn’t feeling great yesterday so I slept like a log thanks to the medication- woke up feeling SO refreshed! Sleep is the cure to anything…almost :D
Khushboo recently posted..Tales of the scales

25 Mac November 3, 2011 at 10:51 am

My uncle has letters like that up at his cabin that spell out his last name and I love them! I’ve checked them out at some places and they are expensive, someday when I have a real house though I’m going to get some :)
Mac recently posted..Fitness Challenges

26 Mila @ loftyappetite November 3, 2011 at 10:58 am

I love when you share the GMA segments! I am currently trying to fill up some empty wall space so these ideas really caught my eye. I went to that website, but then I thought i’d check on etsy first! I have to share that you can get the same thing on etsy for a quarter of the price! they are in the $20-$50 range (depending on size). just search “alphabet letters photography” and there are a ton of sellers! just thought I’d share in case anyone else loved it as much as me!
Mila @ loftyappetite recently posted..Pinterest projects

27 Lauren B. November 3, 2011 at 11:13 am

Thanks for the tip on the Sticks & Stones… it’s gonna make a perfect Christmas present!

28 Jackie @ That Deep Breath November 3, 2011 at 11:28 am

Wow both of those websites are awesome!! Thanks!
Jackie @ That Deep Breath recently posted..Meal Planning: For the Week

29 Jodi November 3, 2011 at 11:44 am

I LOVE the sticks and stones alphabet pics! I actually have noticed them a few times in your blog, and I wondered if you made them yourself.
Jodi recently posted..Egg-cellent!

30 Brooke @ Waiting to Rise November 3, 2011 at 11:57 am

I only got about 6 hours last night….believe it or not, that is good for me. But, I’m feeling it today. Guess the weekend will be spent catching up on some zzzz’s.

I love home decor shopping & decorating. nesting is fun..and since my home is my haven, I treat it as such!

I’m not doing the traditional holiday shopping route…just gonna make people some fun holiday treats…I can’t afford gifts!
Brooke @ Waiting to Rise recently posted..Reviewing yummy cereals…and being thankful…..

31 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn November 3, 2011 at 12:20 pm

AHHH I LOVE YOUUUU SAVING ME MONEY

32 Nichole November 3, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Breakfast looks delicious!! Warm:)

I need to start shopping like now, but I know I’ll end up dragging it out a bit longer.

Glad you got some good sleep makes the world of difference. I am aiming for 7 hours a night, but I usually end up with 6.
Nichole recently posted..Celebrity Trainers Food For Thought

33 Kim @thefamilypractice November 3, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Those chalkboard plates are fun! It would be cute to hang them up in a series above a kitchen cupboard or something. I’ll have to keep that in the back of my head. I’m getting excited about all of my holiday crafts and getting antsy to get started!
I love that you are sharing the GMA deals. I don’t get to watch TV in the morning usually but I took advantage last time you mentioned it and got one of those wine tasting sets which I’ll be taking to Thanksgiving :)
Kim @thefamilypractice recently posted..FAQ

34 Shayla @ The Good Life November 3, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Love this Courtney!! Thanks so much! This is a perfect gift idea for my brother-in-law and his family :)

And I gotta get started on Xmas shopping (now!) since my in-laws live in Upstate NY and gotta ship those gifts out as soon as possible! :)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Happy November! And Weekend Recap Part 2

35 Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 3, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I got over 9 hours last night! Finally! I NEEDED it and it feels amazing. :)

I love those photos. My friend has them for her name and they’re so cute. I’ve always wanted to try to make my own.
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies: Gluten-free Date Bars

36 Erica November 3, 2011 at 3:15 pm

i should be getting about 7-8 hours of sleep a night, but lately i’ve only been getting about 6 :( i need to start going to bed early.

i’m usually a christmas shopping procrastinator, sad to say. but this year i already have gotten started!

i loooove shopping for home decor but then i get frustrated and think “will this go w/everything else? will it fit? does it look good?”
Erica recently posted..professional wedding pics: the details

37 Shannon November 3, 2011 at 6:46 pm

1) I went to bed at 10:30 & got up at 6:45 for school so… 8 hours & 15 minutes. Oh, wait. I’ll say 10:45 or 11 because I didn’t fall asleep quite yet so…8 hours, 7 hours 45 minutes.

2) Whenever I see a good deal or a gift idea for someone, I write it down.

3) I love shopping for home decor mostly because the stuff is so pretty & creative! My mom & I have been buying kitchen supplies for me so when I go off to college in a few years, I’ll have some stuff to use (my sister collects Longaberger dishware- those dishes are pretty but somewhat pricey, Google Longaberger and check them out).

38 Tara Burner November 3, 2011 at 6:58 pm

I actually slept 4 1/2 hrs last night! which is about 1 1/2 hrs more than normal!

I don’t shop for home decor since where I am isn’t ‘home’ and want to move!

holiday shopping-I only buy for my daughter and her bday is right after Christmas too so I have to do both at same time…starting about NOW!
Tara Burner recently posted..Thankful Thursday – randomness

39 Hope November 3, 2011 at 8:03 pm

I usually end up sleeping between 6 and 7 hours a night. That is not nearly enough for me. I find myself trying to stay awake at work. I try to go to sleep early but it never happens. I should really make that priority though. Sleep is important!

I love shopping for home decor. I’m always looking for something cute to add to my home. I can’t get enough candles. I love them! :)
Hope recently posted..I Can See Clearly Now, The Rain Is Gone…