Fashion Friday: Favorite Hair Tools

Happy Fashion Friday!

Today’s Topic: My Favorite Hair Tools

I blame it on all the extra time I’ve been spending in a salon, but between that and this morning’s up-do talk, I thought it might be fun to focus today’s Fashion Friday on hair; specifically, some of my essential hair tools. So, here we go!

Ionic Blow Dryer

I try not to blow dry my hair every day, just because I know it’s so harsh on hair. Unfortunately, once the temperatures start to dip, the likelihood of me walking out the door with wet hair is slim to none. That being said, it’s just one of those things I suck it up and do.

Ionic hair dryers produce negatively charged ions, which cause the cuticle to remain flat, “trapping” moisture, eliminating frizz, and giving hair more body. They’re also said to help dry hair quicker, thus causing less heat damage.

Flat Iron

When I first started using a flat iron, I really only used it to “straighten” my already pin-straight hair. (You may think I’m lucky – I guess the grass is always greener, right?). Now, one of my favorite ways to use the flat iron, when I have time, is to make curls with it. It actually holds curls in my hair 10x better than a curling iron would do, but since I’m still practicing, it takes a little extra time.

A favorite of mine: Babyliss Pro Volare V1 Straightening Iron, 1-Inch

Curling Iron

Sometimes, I’ll use a large, 1-1/2 inch barrel curling iron just to curl the ends of my hair. This just adds a little extra and is perfect when I have an extra 5 minutes to work on the ‘ol mane.

Large Round Barrel Brush

This is a great brush to have, not only for creating curl, but also for smoothing and straightening hair while blow drying. The size you want to use will vary depending on the length of your hair; for my hair, I use one with about a 1-1/2 inch wide diameter barrel. Using a round brush can be quite tricky and I actually have yet to master it…but I’m getting there!

Paddle Brush

This is the kind of brush that I use for everyday brushing and detangling. Nothing fancy – I’m pretty sure I bought mine from Target a couple years ago.

Wide-Tooth Comb

This is a MUST for when I am detangling my hair after taking a shower. FYI: Never use a regular brush on wet hair!! It will pull strands, causing them to break very, very easily.

Fine Tooth Comb

On the rare occasion that I actually want to put a little extra effort into my hair, I’ll use one of these to tease the crown area of my head. This adds just a little extra volume to the top of my head, giving an overall fuller look to my otherwise flat, boring hair.

*****

Question for the Afternoon:

What are your favorite/essential hair tools?

Comments

1. marci says

I am SO challenged when it comes to using a curling iron, i always end up with a weird kink at the bottom :( however, i just purchased a curling wand that i am in LOVE with!

• AL says

i agree! i could never figure out how to use a regular curling iron, and if any one ever used on on my hair, it would fall out within a couple of hours. with the curling wand, not only do my curls last overnight, I don’t have to use any hairspray!! i also have pin straight hair.

2. Vanessa N says

I use a blow dryer in winter months – other than that, I pretty much only use a wide tooth comb to detangle after showering. Boring? Probably – but my hair is super straight and appreciates the fact that I leave it alone for the most part :)

your hair looked so awesome in those updo pictures! she did a great job!

my hair must-have tools are 1) elchim blow dryer and 2) clampless curling irons. the elchim is THE Best blow dryer i have ever used. it gets HOT on the highest setting and is so powerful. they use it in my salon, but i was lucky enough to get it on overstock.com! i have an enzo milano curling iron, which is amazing, but you can also remove the clamp on any regular old curling iron. i got some weird ed hardy wanna be iron on sale at walmart for $8, took the clamp off, and it works SO WELL! i love youtube–it’s taught me everything i know!
    Mandee @ Mandeelicious recently posted..Spooky spidery candy corny cupcakes!

i watched julie’s cute demo of her curling her hair with a straightener, but i have yet to try it. she makes it look easy! maybe you could do one too? i feel like i should probably just give it a go one of these days… even though I may end up with no hair afterwards! LOL!
    Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Post-Halloween Candy Binge

I use a wide-tooth comb for brushing through my wet hair and (usually) blowdry my hair with an ionic blowdryer. On the rare occasion that I feel like doing something with my hair, I rely on my flat iron and a wide barrel curling iron :)
    Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Say Freeze

I don’t use any tools on my curly hair. It only ends in frustration on my part and (perhaps) a broken device. Haha. Nothing works well on this mane so I decided back in HS to embrace my natural curls and not fight them…for me it’s shower, mousse, and out the door.
    Faith recently posted..Twitter is for the birds

I am totally with you on all of these tools! My must haves are definitely the round brush and the curling iron! The iron works wonders when your really rushed, but need to look a little spruced up.
    Jodi recently posted..It’s Missing…

8. Shannon says

I love Paddell Brushes for brushing my hair before heading out to the bus, a Wide Toothed Comb for after a shower, and fine toothed combs for picture day/when I want to look nice.

I don’t really have a need to use a flat iron since my hair is quite straight.

Great post, Courtney! :)

I swear by hair rollers..they add so much volume and are so efficient! I heat them up while I shower, put them on and leave them in while I eat breakfast and then 15 minutes later, my hair looks great!
    Khushboo recently posted..Tales of the scales

Paddle brush, blow dryer and GHD’s for me.
    I use some expensie protective produts too – but I’m never really sure if they make a difference or not. I think it just makes me feel like I am being better to my hair!
    AnnetteCook recently posted..Fun Fry-Day

11. Julie says

can you do a vlog on using the 1 1/2 inch curling iron? I have a 1in one for curls, but I don’t know how to do the looser curls with the larger barrel

12. Elane says

In curling hair. I have seen some cool video demo on YouTube. One can take their hair curled by only using a sock. Here is how to get them curled:
    First you cut up the other closed end. Second, you curl it like that of a donut. Third, you place your (ponytail style hair) hair on it. then curl it on the donut sock. Fourth, you sleep with it. The morning, you take out the sock and pronto, you have nice curly hair. It is safe, you won’t be using curling iron. Advantage? You won’t have the risk to be burned since it doesn’t use any thing but that of a sock only. You save energy as well. It is hassle free since you can sleep it overnight.
    Elane recently posted..how to stop hair loss

Trackbacks