Just Can’t Stomach It

by Courtney on November 6, 2011

Hey folks! Hope your weekend is winding down nicely and that you’ve been having a blast like I have.

You know, I didn’t really mention it earlier, but I forgot to say just how excited I was to get that extra hour of sleep last night. I swear, sometimes even just that one little hour makes a world of difference!

Unfortunately, I forgot that along with that extra hour comes the 5:00pm darkness.

source

I have since been totally thrown off and feel like I should be crawling into bed right about now. I wouldn’t go as far to say that I get depressed when the seasons change, but I definitely do feel the effects of it. What can I say – I like my sunlight!

*****

This afternoon, Jay and I had some homeowner-ish responsibilities to take care of, including a trip to Home Depot. We picked up some new trim to finally finish up some minor details in the kitchen, along with a new front door.

We’ve had our eye on this door for a while now, and noticed today that it had dropped in price for the second time. It was officially time to sweep in for the purchase!

Whenever there’s a trip like today’s involved, there’s almost always a fun caffeinated beverage to accompany me. I made a quick pit stop at Starbucks on our way there and picked up a Skinny Peppermint Mocha.

Unfortunately, it seems as though I just cannot enjoy the peppermint mocha anymore. As much as I loved it at the beginning of the season last year, I just can’t seem to stomach it after the whole sickness incident last year.

It was one of the last things I had consumed and now that’s all I can associate those flavors with. Blech! It’s such a sad thing, too, because I still have a really hard time thinking about eating one of my favorite Thanksgiving-leftover sandwiches. Hopefully I’ll get over that one because that is one hell of a sandwich!

*****

The rest of the afternoon consisted of some grocery shopping, some dancing for joy over our Jets victory (WOOT!), and a quick and easy dinner of soup and toast.

I came across a leftover batch of my favorite, homemade Minestrone Soup in our freezer this morning, so I took it out to thaw for tonight’s dinner. I honestly cannot tell you how much I adore just thawing out leftovers. I really need to do this more often.

On the side, we finished up the rest of our Garlic & Rosemary bread, toasted with a little butter.

Just check out those chunks of garlic!

Hey, at least we’re both sportin’ the garlic breath at the same time, right? Winking smile

Now I’m hoping to get in a good solid hour or two of studying before calling it a night. Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Questions for the Evening:

What do you prefer for daylight savings time: “falling back” or “springing ahead?”

Do you have any aversions to certain foods because of a past incident/illness?

1 Caitlin November 6, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Love soup and crusty bread, especially when it involves GARLIC. Your nails look great with the Starbucks cup – I tweeted my red wine colored nails with my red wine on Friday night, it must be a nail-beverage matching kind of weekend ;-) and I can so relate to that Daylight Savings = SAD thing.
Caitlin recently posted..Tennessee Recap: Part Four

2 Savannah @ Sweet and Savvy November 6, 2011 at 7:03 pm

I loved having an extra hour today… but I will take all the sunshine I can get! The fact that it is dark out right now is definitely bumming me out.
Savannah @ Sweet and Savvy recently posted..Healthy Snacky Snacks

3 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 6, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I prefer fall back since we get an extra hour in the day, but I don’t like the fact that it causes the days to seem so much shorter. I hate losing an hour for spring forward, but I like knowing that summer is right around the corner! I guess they both have their pros and cons!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Encouragement

4 Rachael November 6, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I enjoy springing ahead, the darkness at 5:30pm is just depressing! And I haven’t been able to eat chinese food since my senior year in high school. I got the flu the day after I had chinese food and still to this day even the smell makes me a little uneasy! Love your blog by the way :)

5 Heather @ For the Love of Kale November 6, 2011 at 7:23 pm

I hope you learn to love your sandwich again! That totally stinks. I had a pixie stick incident when. I was eight and now I can’t even look at them without wanting to vomit. Haha.
Heather @ For the Love of Kale recently posted..Mind.Body.Barre: Making the Video

6 Tara Burner November 6, 2011 at 7:26 pm

I need the sunshine at night…this getting dark at 5pmish thing bites!
Others say it’s great for running in morning in daylight, only prob is I run at 430 so no matter what it’s dark!
I need longer hours of sunlight in the evening…
I’ll discombobulated and of course I was up at 335 this morning since it would’ve been 435! that whole “sleeping in” thing doesnt work for me..my body doesn’t go by a clock!
Tara Burner recently posted..Scentsy Plug-in Warmers & Scents for the Holidays

7 Amanda @ Let Me Be What's Underneath November 6, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I definitely prefer springing ahead….I hate when it gets dark out at 5 p.m. :(
Amanda @ Let Me Be What’s Underneath recently posted..Quotable Sunday

8 Corey @ Family Fresh Meals November 6, 2011 at 7:59 pm

The time change really sucks with my 2 little ones…. they don’t understand the change and get up at the same time. Yuck!
Question about the soup. Love your recipe…. have made it before. I love how easy it is to make. When you freeze it, what do you freeze it in and how long can you keep it in the freezer for? 3 months? 6 months? I need to get better at making and freezing stuff.
Corey @ Family Fresh Meals recently posted..Sunday Funday : Recipe of The Week

9 Shannon November 6, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I have never eaten minestrone soup before- I may just have to try it now.

1. I prefer “falling back”, mostly because I get an extra hour of sleep. Yayyyyyy! :) However, it does feel really weird going to 7:30 mass at what it feels like 8:30; the whole mass I felt like I should be home, reading the newspaper (love unwind, Kristi’s column, the Advocate, A page stories, and the restaurant review).

2. I got sick over eating too many Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and I also got sick after eating an Auntie Anne’s pretzel (mostly because I had one of my migraines). I recently went back to eating Reese’s and realized how much I missed them! Auntie Anne’s also taste very good; I don’t have them often but I missed those too.
My mom can’t have Auntie Anne’s pretzels- at all. When she was pregnant with me, and my 2 brothers (yes, I’m a triplet!) , she ate one and got sick afterward. Just the smell does her in- even after 15 years!

10 Mandee November 6, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Oh yeah I def had my own peppermint mocha type incident. Let’s just say I didn’t eat grilled cheese for literally 20 years. The thought of it would make me gag and sometimes still does!
Mandee recently posted..Spooky spidery candy corny cupcakes!

11 Lindsay @ biking before bed November 6, 2011 at 8:34 pm

I much prefer the “fall back.” I find it much easier to get up and workout and go to work when it is light out. The dark evenings are a bummer though. I got really sick after eating hot dogs when I was about 5. I still can’t eat them without getting queasy.
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..Boots and Butterfingers

12 dee November 6, 2011 at 8:50 pm

i love the peppermint mocha (with soy!) :) and I prefer cooler seasons over hotter (you can only take off so much!) So I like falling back and getting that “extra hour” of sleep. As for foods I can no longer bring myself to eat? Pot pie :( my mom used to buy the mini frozen ones and stash them in the freezer for when I get home from school and am starving (elementary school appetites never end!)..anyway! I’d come home and heat a pot pie in the oven for the scheduled time..sometimes a few minutes longer..by then I’m realllyyy hungry. So I take it out, put a fork full in my mouth, and.. COLD!! So I had to put it in for looonger..and at that point, my stomach was screaming louder than a banshee. I hated it :( I gave it so many chances, and now I guess I’ve learned my lesson :( when I’m hungry, I’m huuungry! And now I cannot eat pot pie..

13 Briana November 6, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Definitely springing forward! Early nighttime darkness makes me lazy and tired. When I was younger I ate wayyyy too many of those giant goldfish crackers and got sick so now I can’t eat them. But it’s weird because I can eat the small ones (and a good thing because they are delicious)! I was so excited they finally got a skinny peppermint mocha but I hate to say that I was a little disappointed…

14 Kathryn November 6, 2011 at 9:18 pm

We live in AZ, so we actually don’t observe daylight savings time (yay!). Of course, we still have to keep track of it due to friends and family living out of state.

Years ago I thought I was over the flu and ate a bunch of beef jerky. Well, I wasn’t done being sick and I couldn’t even look at jerky without feeling sick for about a year or so. Had a similar incident with oreos. Had some as an after lunch dessert, wound up coming down with the flu…yeah, that one only took about 6 months, though.

I hope you’ll be able to enjoy those items again soon!
Kathryn recently posted..Family and Fun

15 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 6, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I’m with you, I get in a serious funk with the early darkness. I heard someone refer to it as seasonal affect disorder which I’m rolling with b/c it sounds better than depression. I hate still being at my desk for work and it literally being dark outside!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Cranberry almond whole wheat pancakes

16 Erica November 6, 2011 at 9:58 pm

I had really bad food poisoning (think bags of I V in the ER bad) after eating Mexican food from the mall food court. after that I couldnt eat Mexican for the longest time! To this day I still cant really handle fresh salsa. :/
Erica recently posted..professional wedding pics: the details

17 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill November 6, 2011 at 10:26 pm

I definitely prefer to fall back–it seems more beneficial at the moment!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Twitter Freak and Wedding Bells

18 Lauren November 6, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I love an extra hour of sleep! Your soup looks great : )
Lauren recently posted..Welcome To My Blog!

19 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries November 6, 2011 at 11:08 pm

I just moved to the Northeast and I can’t BELIEVE how early it gets dark! I’m from Florida so I’m used to it being light out until at least 7:00 PM during the fall. Now my body clock is ALL thrown off ;)
Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..Home is Where the Heart is

20 Lena @ Fit on the Rocks November 6, 2011 at 11:21 pm

I like “falling back” for just the first day because of the time, but then it sucks having the sun go away :( I can’t eat rice crispy treats (and formerly peanut butter) because I ate so much when I was younger that I got really sick and couldn’t stomach the tastes afterward. I have since been able to slowly incorporate peanut butter, but I would take almond butter over it any day.
Lena @ Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Sunday Run Day

21 RunEatRepeat November 7, 2011 at 12:00 am

I’ve eaten and entire loaf of bread like that in 2 days. Alone. I probably smelled, but it was totally worth it :)
RunEatRepeat recently posted..Easy Tortilla Soup and Soda Stream Review

22 Khushboo November 7, 2011 at 12:05 am

Not sure what your Thanksgiving sandwich involved but you would love the sandwich I recently made…cream cheese, strawberry jam/fruit preserves, turkey, and lettuce…try it!
Khushboo recently posted..Hands-off MY sandwich

23 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy November 7, 2011 at 7:31 am

As much as I don’t like losing an hour, I think I prefer springing forward because I know the days will be longer. I like my sunlight too :).
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Indy Food Truck Festival

24 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 7, 2011 at 7:53 am

I was ready for bed at like 6:00PM last night! But it was nice to have sunlight on my drive into work this morning!

That stinks about the peppermint mocha! I had one on Friday & it was delish!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..The Wedding: Reception, Part 2

25 Hope November 7, 2011 at 8:05 am

That soup looks delicious! I love the soup crocks. I really need to get those. :)

I like turning the clocks back but my sleep routine was completely thrown off yesterday. I ended up getting up at like 6 in the morning and couldn’t fall back to sleep.
Hope recently posted..5 Years Of Service…

26 Jodi November 7, 2011 at 8:27 am

I can totally relate to the food aversion. I got sick one time right after eating fudge, and now I cannot go near it. And that happened when I was like 11.

Soup is the perfect cool-weather dinner—it’s easy and comforting.
Jodi recently posted..It’s Missing…

27 Becky @ Fit Chick on the Fly November 7, 2011 at 8:28 am

I love the bright mornings, because getting up for the gym seems a bit easier. But the early darkness is depressing and no fun!
Becky @ Fit Chick on the Fly recently posted..Bench Press Galore

28 Nicole S November 7, 2011 at 2:07 pm

awww I can totally relate – the last thing I ate before getting the flu in 2009 was sushi. No can do now ;(