Why The Night Got Cut Short

Last night was a really big night for my dad and I was could not have been more proud of him!

Depending on how long you’ve been reading STSL, you may or may not know that I come from a family of bowlers. Although Jay and I have taken the past couple of years off, all of us at one point were quite the bowling crew. My appreciation for bowling definitely came from my parents, who taught me from a young age, and my dad, especially, has encouraged me ever since.

I’ve even had the opportunity of bowling with my dad in a tournament on TV (which we won!) which was not only quite an accomplishment, but also an honor.

My dad always told me that if you work hard enough at something, you can achieve it, and last night was a perfect example of his success and determination. Last night, my dad was honored and inducted into the Troy Bowling Hall of Fame!

WOOO HOOO!! He even had to give a speech which, in my opinion, was way better than the speeches of the other two guys who were inducted. Then again, maybe I am a little biased.

Either way, I was so super proud of him – Congratulations, Big Guy! Smile

*****

Before the induction and speeches actually began, we all arrived for the cocktail hour and enjoyed just hangin’ around and enjoying each others’ company.

We had quite a fun table!

Mom & Dad

Me & Jay

Scott & Kara (who you may remember as my coffee fairy at the airport)

Dan & Meg

(P.S. – I was super excited to see Meg again – I hadn’t seen her since our Ice Cream Tour!)

The boys, of course, were feeding off of each others’ goofiness. Winking smile

IMG_9633IMG_9647

During the cocktail hour and dinner, I enjoyed a couple of glasses of pinot grigio. It still wasn’t the best wine I’ve ever tasted, but it was better than Friday night.

For dinner, I had ordered the chicken, which was your standard, stuffed chicken with mashies and veggies. I added a roll, ate most of the chicken and veggies, and about half of the stuffing and mashies.

You know, I had to make sure to save room for a little dessert. I had half of the chocolate cookie but devoured that bar thing. Our entire table was trying to figure out what in the world the bar thing was – it was like a spice cake, but like a blondie, and there was raisins in it, and some sort of maple frosting. Whatever it was, the general consensus was that it was delicious.

After dinner, we hung out for a little longer and danced around at our table to the DJ’s music.

Unfortunately, I ended up having a little breathing incident and had to cut the night short. Earlier in the day, Jay had done a bunch of cleaning around in the basement, which stirred up a lot of dust. Whenever that happens, my asthma tends to act up quite a bit, and even though I was out of the house for a while, it was still giving me problems.

Usually if I’m having a slight asthma attack, I just try to push through it, but last night was really, really uncomfortable and was only getting worse, so I knew it was time to go. Jay and I said our goodbyes a little early, headed back home, I took my inhaler, and curled up into bed. I typically try not to complain about my asthma, but yesterday was just one of those days where I was really angry about it…damn lungs.

*****

Luckily, by the time I woke up this morning, I was feeling much better (thanks for checking in on me, Heather!), so I headed out to the gym for a BodyPump class. I actually got there early enough to do a little cardio, but considering last nights’ breathing troubles, I kept it easy with about 25 minutes of incline walking.

After BodyPump (which was back to the latest release and AWESOME) I headed home to make some breakfast. Another egg, provolone, and raspberry jam English muffin sandwich. I made some extra eggs today to have on the side, too.

I enjoyed my sandwich while reading through the Sunday paper and clipping some coupons. You guys know I love my coupons!

Now Jay and I are headed out to pick up a few items for the house and (hopefully) a latte for myself. Winking smile

Questions for the Morning:

Have you ever struggled with asthma/breathing troubles of any sort?

Did you grow up doing any sports with either your parents and/or siblings?

Comments

Congrats to your dad! What a great honor! :)

I can definitely relate to your asthma. I’ve had asthma since I was a child. It’s allergy and exercise induced. I keep an inhaler in my pocketbook at all times, just in case. It has gotten SO much better since I’ve become an adult. When I was younger we had a nebulizer in my house so I could take treatments because it was so bad. I hope yours gets under control soon. It’s definitely not fun! I haven’t had an attack in a year. I’m happy about that.
    Hope recently posted..A Bridesmaid Dress Kind Of Weekend…

Congratulations to you dad!! That’s so awesome :)

Sorry to hear about your asthma – I don’t have asthma per se but I do experience breathing problems here and there due to my anxiety that flares up once in awhile in feeling that I have to take a deep breath. Very frustrating so I know how you feel.

Btw, love love your hair here again, and your blue shoes with that dress is gorgeous! Is it a curling iron again like yesterday? I did that last Saturday but I like yours better ;)
    Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Friday Lovin’

Congratulations to your dad! That’s an awesome achievement. Scott’s fam is big into bowling and several of his relative have multiple 300 rings. He is getting me more into it, but I think I need to get my own shoes and ball to really improve, haha.

Sorry to hear about your asthma. I have never had to deal with it but know so many people that do and I know it is frustrating, sometimes scary, and hard to deal with.
    Krissie J recently posted..Another 5K Ahead

4. Shannon says

Congratulations to your dad! That’s such a great honor. :)

1. I haven’t struggled with breathing problems of any sort.
    2. I played soccer in second grade for APYSL with my brothers and sister. I quit in third grade because I didn’t really like it that much.

Bowling is so much fun; I haven’t gone since I went w/ my Girl Scout troop last year. I need to go back soon.

Wow! That’s pretty awesome that your dad got inducted into a hall of fame, so congrats to him :) I’ve never suffered from a breathing problem, but I have family with issues. I never did anything with my entire family, but I got my younger sister into volleyball and tennis, both of which she rocks at (and will totally kick my a$s).
    Lena @ Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Grown Up Tea Party

You have asthma..? No way!! I would definitely not have guessed that. Do you have exercise induced or just regular? I’m curious how you do all the working out you do because my exercise-induced kicks my butt if I do any kind of sprinting or “short bursts” of exercise.
    Heather recently posted..Moments

• Courtney says

Yup! I have regular asthma – I grew up with it pretty bad, but then it gradually went away as I got older. Then we got our cat and it all went back downhill from there. Most days I say he’s worth it but some days….. ;)

At one point in high school, I had athletic-induced asthma when I was playing sports. It would get very hard to breathe and I would feel like something was sitting on my chest. When I went to the doctor about it, he basically accused me of wanting to get out of PE! The nerve… No asthma probs now. So sorry that you have to suffer it.

That’s awesome for your dad!
    I have asthma too. I’ve got about 5 different inhalers stashed around so I’m always near one just in case. The severe cold and my allergies induce it so it tends to act up at my parents house who have 3 dogs (I’m allergic to them) since they’re always jumping around and stirring up the air. I keep one in my purse, workout bag, work/computer bag, toiletry bag for traveling and an extra in my medicine cabinet!
    Glad you’re feeling better today. there’s nothing more uncomfortable than feeling like you can’t get enough air.
    Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Cranberry almond whole wheat pancakes

Congrats to your dad! I was on a bowling league in third and fourth grade :). My parents used to bowl on a league when I was little, too. It was nothing competitive- just for fun! My grandma (she’s 80) still bowls on a league twice a week though! I’ve gone bowling with her, and it’s so much fun!

I have allergies and have to get allergy shots, so certain things trigger me too. If I’m around mold or (freshly cut) grass, I have to be careful, or it will make me feel pretty sick.
    Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Indy Food Truck Festival