Why The Night Got Cut Short

by Courtney on November 6, 2011

Last night was a really big night for my dad and I was could not have been more proud of him!

Depending on how long you’ve been reading STSL, you may or may not know that I come from a family of bowlers. Although Jay and I have taken the past couple of years off, all of us at one point were quite the bowling crew. My appreciation for bowling definitely came from my parents, who taught me from a young age, and my dad, especially, has encouraged me ever since.

I’ve even had the opportunity of bowling with my dad in a tournament on TV (which we won!) which was not only quite an accomplishment, but also an honor.

My dad always told me that if you work hard enough at something, you can achieve it, and last night was a perfect example of his success and determination. Last night, my dad was honored and inducted into the Troy Bowling Hall of Fame!

WOOO HOOO!! He even had to give a speech which, in my opinion, was way better than the speeches of the other two guys who were inducted. Then again, maybe I am a little biased.

Either way, I was so super proud of him – Congratulations, Big Guy! Smile

*****

Before the induction and speeches actually began, we all arrived for the cocktail hour and enjoyed just hangin’ around and enjoying each others’ company.

We had quite a fun table!

Mom & Dad

Me & Jay

Scott & Kara (who you may remember as my coffee fairy at the airport)

Dan & Meg

(P.S. – I was super excited to see Meg again – I hadn’t seen her since our Ice Cream Tour!)

The boys, of course, were feeding off of each others’ goofiness. Winking smile

IMG_9633IMG_9647

During the cocktail hour and dinner, I enjoyed a couple of glasses of pinot grigio. It still wasn’t the best wine I’ve ever tasted, but it was better than Friday night.

For dinner, I had ordered the chicken, which was your standard, stuffed chicken with mashies and veggies. I added a roll, ate most of the chicken and veggies, and about half of the stuffing and mashies.

You know, I had to make sure to save room for a little dessert. I had half of the chocolate cookie but devoured that bar thing. Our entire table was trying to figure out what in the world the bar thing was – it was like a spice cake, but like a blondie, and there was raisins in it, and some sort of maple frosting. Whatever it was, the general consensus was that it was delicious.

After dinner, we hung out for a little longer and danced around at our table to the DJ’s music.

Unfortunately, I ended up having a little breathing incident and had to cut the night short. Earlier in the day, Jay had done a bunch of cleaning around in the basement, which stirred up a lot of dust. Whenever that happens, my asthma tends to act up quite a bit, and even though I was out of the house for a while, it was still giving me problems.

Usually if I’m having a slight asthma attack, I just try to push through it, but last night was really, really uncomfortable and was only getting worse, so I knew it was time to go. Jay and I said our goodbyes a little early, headed back home, I took my inhaler, and curled up into bed. I typically try not to complain about my asthma, but yesterday was just one of those days where I was really angry about it…damn lungs.

*****

Luckily, by the time I woke up this morning, I was feeling much better (thanks for checking in on me, Heather!), so I headed out to the gym for a BodyPump class. I actually got there early enough to do a little cardio, but considering last nights’ breathing troubles, I kept it easy with about 25 minutes of incline walking.

After BodyPump (which was back to the latest release and AWESOME) I headed home to make some breakfast. Another egg, provolone, and raspberry jam English muffin sandwich. I made some extra eggs today to have on the side, too.

I enjoyed my sandwich while reading through the Sunday paper and clipping some coupons. You guys know I love my coupons!

Now Jay and I are headed out to pick up a few items for the house and (hopefully) a latte for myself. Winking smile

Questions for the Morning:

Have you ever struggled with asthma/breathing troubles of any sort?

Did you grow up doing any sports with either your parents and/or siblings?

1 Hope November 6, 2011 at 11:19 am

Congrats to your dad! What a great honor! :)

I can definitely relate to your asthma. I’ve had asthma since I was a child. It’s allergy and exercise induced. I keep an inhaler in my pocketbook at all times, just in case. It has gotten SO much better since I’ve become an adult. When I was younger we had a nebulizer in my house so I could take treatments because it was so bad. I hope yours gets under control soon. It’s definitely not fun! I haven’t had an attack in a year. I’m happy about that.
Hope recently posted..A Bridesmaid Dress Kind Of Weekend…

2 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 6, 2011 at 11:31 am

Congrats to your dad!

I love your shoes! :-)
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..My First Meet-Up

3 Khushboo November 6, 2011 at 11:39 am

Congrats to your dad! He would cringe if he saw my bowling skills..or more like “lack off”! Sorry about your asthma but good call on going home rather than unnecessarily push yourself!
Khushboo recently posted..Hands-off MY sandwich

4 Shayla @ The Good Life November 6, 2011 at 11:45 am

Congratulations to you dad!! That’s so awesome :)

Sorry to hear about your asthma – I don’t have asthma per se but I do experience breathing problems here and there due to my anxiety that flares up once in awhile in feeling that I have to take a deep breath. Very frustrating so I know how you feel.

Btw, love love your hair here again, and your blue shoes with that dress is gorgeous! Is it a curling iron again like yesterday? I did that last Saturday but I like yours better ;)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Friday Lovin’

5 Courtney November 6, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Thanks, Shayla! I actually did it with my straightener (which is what I did the other day, too). It’s the only way I can seem to get the curls to stay!

6 Shayla @ The Good Life November 6, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Ahhh yes you did use a straightener!! Pretty impressive! Hmmmm a hair tutorial video perhaps?! ;)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..Friday Lovin’

7 Camilla November 6, 2011 at 12:07 pm

congratulations to your dad! that’s so awesome :) love your hair & i’m glad you’re feeling better! :D

8 Courtney November 6, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Thanks, Camilla!

9 Alaina Johnson November 6, 2011 at 12:14 pm

congrats to your daddy!
I never had asthma or anything but I would probably freak out and make it worse! hope you feel all better!
Alaina Johnson recently posted..Fun and Relaxing

10 Krissie J November 6, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Congratulations to your dad! That’s an awesome achievement. Scott’s fam is big into bowling and several of his relative have multiple 300 rings. He is getting me more into it, but I think I need to get my own shoes and ball to really improve, haha.

Sorry to hear about your asthma. I have never had to deal with it but know so many people that do and I know it is frustrating, sometimes scary, and hard to deal with.
Krissie J recently posted..Another 5K Ahead

11 Courtney November 6, 2011 at 4:58 pm

YES! You definitely need your own shoes and ball – it makes a world of difference ;)

12 Chelcie of Chelcie's Food Files November 6, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Congrats to you dad!
I’m sorry about your asthma:( I thought I had asthma when I was younger because I had a really cough, so I had an inhaler for a little while but luckily I didn’t end up needing to continue using it..and I love your dress and shoes by the way:)
Chelcie of Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..Grocery Shopping Tips

13 Courtney November 6, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Thanks, Chelcie!

14 pat November 6, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Nice apple shirt! : )

15 Courtney November 6, 2011 at 4:57 pm

It is pretty stylish, isn’t it? ;)

16 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles November 6, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Congrats to your dad and it looks like you had a wonderfully fun night, even though it got cut short. Bummer, bummer. I have the days were I just get mad about my bodies shortcomings, some days it just totally gets in the way. I bet you dad was still super glad that you two were there though!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..What dreams are made of! –First time for everything!

17 Savannah @ Sweet and Savvy November 6, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Congrats to your daddy! That is awesomee! :)

And I have asthma, nothing too bad, but it sure is a hindrance! :(
Savannah @ Sweet and Savvy recently posted..Healthy Snacky Snacks

18 Shannon November 6, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Congratulations to your dad! That’s such a great honor. :)

1. I haven’t struggled with breathing problems of any sort.
2. I played soccer in second grade for APYSL with my brothers and sister. I quit in third grade because I didn’t really like it that much.

Bowling is so much fun; I haven’t gone since I went w/ my Girl Scout troop last year. I need to go back soon.

19 Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 6, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Your parents are so cute!! Congrats to your dad! I’ve never had any breathing problems, but I feel for the people who have those difficulties. My cousin had a lot of problems with asthma growing up, so it made it difficult for him to participate in sports. What a bummer! :/
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Whatcha Reading Weekend: Round 6

20 Lena @ Fit on the Rocks November 6, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Wow! That’s pretty awesome that your dad got inducted into a hall of fame, so congrats to him :) I’ve never suffered from a breathing problem, but I have family with issues. I never did anything with my entire family, but I got my younger sister into volleyball and tennis, both of which she rocks at (and will totally kick my a$s).
Lena @ Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Grown Up Tea Party

21 Maria@La_Piattini November 6, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I’m happy to hear that you are feeling better! I do not have asthma, but can imagine it would be very scary.
Maria@La_Piattini recently posted..Objective Update and Giveaway Winner

22 Heather November 6, 2011 at 1:55 pm

You have asthma..? No way!! I would definitely not have guessed that. Do you have exercise induced or just regular? I’m curious how you do all the working out you do because my exercise-induced kicks my butt if I do any kind of sprinting or “short bursts” of exercise.
Heather recently posted..Moments

23 Courtney November 6, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Yup! I have regular asthma – I grew up with it pretty bad, but then it gradually went away as I got older. Then we got our cat and it all went back downhill from there. Most days I say he’s worth it but some days….. ;)

24 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries November 6, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Looks like you had a great night! Congratulations to your dad :) I’ve never been the BEST bowler (and by that I mean I throw gutter balls like it’s my JOB ;) ) but I always loved the sport!
Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..Home is Where the Heart is

25 Jess @ Jess Go Bananas November 6, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Glad to hear you are a-okay! My cousin has asthma and doesn’t pay as much attention to it as he should!
Jess @ Jess Go Bananas recently posted..Race Recap!

26 Lauren B. November 6, 2011 at 3:24 pm

At one point in high school, I had athletic-induced asthma when I was playing sports. It would get very hard to breathe and I would feel like something was sitting on my chest. When I went to the doctor about it, he basically accused me of wanting to get out of PE! The nerve… No asthma probs now. So sorry that you have to suffer it.

27 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 6, 2011 at 3:29 pm

That’s awesome for your dad!
I have asthma too. I’ve got about 5 different inhalers stashed around so I’m always near one just in case. The severe cold and my allergies induce it so it tends to act up at my parents house who have 3 dogs (I’m allergic to them) since they’re always jumping around and stirring up the air. I keep one in my purse, workout bag, work/computer bag, toiletry bag for traveling and an extra in my medicine cabinet!
Glad you’re feeling better today. there’s nothing more uncomfortable than feeling like you can’t get enough air.
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Cranberry almond whole wheat pancakes

28 Courtney November 6, 2011 at 4:56 pm

It definitely is the worst feeling, isn’t it? They need to find a cure ;)

29 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy November 6, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Congrats to your dad! I was on a bowling league in third and fourth grade :). My parents used to bowl on a league when I was little, too. It was nothing competitive- just for fun! My grandma (she’s 80) still bowls on a league twice a week though! I’ve gone bowling with her, and it’s so much fun!

I have allergies and have to get allergy shots, so certain things trigger me too. If I’m around mold or (freshly cut) grass, I have to be careful, or it will make me feel pretty sick.
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Indy Food Truck Festival

30 Courtney November 6, 2011 at 4:55 pm

YES – grass is a killer for me. If I even sit in it, I actually break out in rashes. It’s gross.

31 Mallory @ It's Only Life November 6, 2011 at 4:42 pm

congrats to your dad! :) my co-workers and i are forming a little bowling competition (9 of us, so 3 teams of 3)… we are getting pretty pumped!

btw, your dress and those SHOES are both awesome! i love your style
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..The Most Gorgeous Run

32 Courtney November 6, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Thanks, Mallory!
Btw, your bowling competition sounds like so much fun!!

33 ashley November 6, 2011 at 4:49 pm

is it just me or is the latest bodypump tricep track KILLER?????

34 Courtney November 6, 2011 at 4:54 pm

It is DEFINITELY killer. WOW!

35 melissa November 6, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Your hair looks great! Are you just curling it?

36 Courtney November 6, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Thanks! I used my straightener, actually.

37 Jodi November 7, 2011 at 8:31 am

Your dad’s speech was the best, for sure. :-) Maple frosting? I must try this immediately..

That sucks about your asthma, but at least your back in full swing now!
Jodi recently posted..It’s Missing…