All Fired Up

by Courtney on November 7, 2011

I love it when Jay grills.

Honestly, I think I’m going to tell him not to bother storing the grill for the winter and I’m just going to continue to make him brave the cold to grill amazing dinners for us. That’s fair of me to ask, right?

Well luckily for me, it hasn’t yet gotten to that point yet, so we took advantage and fired up the grill for tonight’s dinner.

Our “marinade” of choice this evening came in the form of Newman’s Own Light Caesar dressing, which we had opened up last week. Turns out, this dressing is not only killer on salads, but also a great chicken marinade as well, FYI.

As always, our chicken was grilled to perfection, thanks to the Master. I opted to have half of a breast since they were a bit large (must be nice…I wouldn’t know) and already have the other half prepped for tomorrow’s lunch.

On the side, I quickly sautéed up a large zucchini in a little EVOO, salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar. This is definitely our favorite way to prep zucchini now…it’s SO good!

We also had the pleasure of enjoying some mashed sweet potatoes, courtesy of Simply Potatoes. A few weeks ago, I received a some coupons to try out the Simply Potatoes brand through the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program. When I spotted them in the store and saw the sweet potatoes, there was really no question.

I opted for the quick, microwave method of preparation and I must say that I was beyond impressed with these potatoes. They had amazing flavor, a perfectly creamy texture, and didn’t even require any extra butter, salt, or other toppings. I actually found myself scraping the inside of the container as I was putting away the leftovers (Jay and I probably ate about half of the package for dinner tonight).

FYI: In case you’re interested, you can actually go on to their website and enter to win free potatoes for a year. They choose a new winner each month, so if you want in on these delicious ‘taters, then have at it!

*****

I did a pretty good job of tackling the rest of my to-do list this afternoon; I got some studying done AND I got my soup made, which smells AMAZING (there will be a recipe to come this week!), so I’m going to be spending the rest of the evening hanging out with the boys. Perfect way to end a great day, if ya ask me.

Question for the Evening:

Do you use your grill year-round or only during the warmer months?

If you don’t have a grill, what’s your favorite way to cook?

1 Savannah @ Sweet and Savvy November 7, 2011 at 7:52 pm

I will definitely have to try sauteing zucchini with balsamic! Sounds wonderful!
Savannah @ Sweet and Savvy recently posted..You Get Out What You Put In

2 Amanda November 7, 2011 at 7:55 pm

sounds delicious!!!
Amanda recently posted..Heart Bootcamp

3 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 7, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Mmmm I love mashed sweet potatoes! I’ll have to keep an eye out for these at the store!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Meatloaf Mashup

4 Blog is the New Black November 7, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Agreed, nothing beats a deliciously simple grilled dinner!
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Adobo Pork Carnitas

5 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 7, 2011 at 8:14 pm

I love using the grill for cooking! It gets used at least a couple times a week during the summer. During the colder months, I usually forget or it’s too cold to go outside, but every once in awhile we’ll brave it. I love how tasty it makes meats and veggies, not to mention it’s easy to clean up!

Those mashed sweet potatoes look so good!! I made homemade mashed sweet potatoes awhile back that I loved, but you can’t beat how easy the ones you bought look!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..One Of Those Days

6 Shannon November 7, 2011 at 8:15 pm

The grill is used only in the summer months. It’s now put away in the shed. :(

7 Hope November 7, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I love using the grill! In the winter we usually use our Rachael Ray grill pan. I love that thing! :)

Those mashed sweet potatoes look really good. I’m going to have to look for them in the supermarket. Thanks for the link for the contest. I entered. :)
Hope recently posted..5 Years Of Service…

8 Mallory @ It's Only Life November 7, 2011 at 8:27 pm

LOL to your little side chicken breast comment…it totally took me a minute to get that. i’m with ya, sister. Delicious looking meal!!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..The Most Gorgeous Run

9 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 7, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Oh I about died when you said you wouldn’t know what it was like to have large breasts. I hear ya sister.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..black bean and butternut squash soup

10 Kristine @ Running on Hungry November 9, 2011 at 12:56 am

I was JUST about to comment on that! I laughed out loud reading that line. Couldn’t agree more.
Kristine @ Running on Hungry recently posted..Week 14 to 26.2

11 Heidi November 7, 2011 at 8:36 pm

I live in Canada where it gets quite cold and snowy. We have never put our BBQ away and grill all winter long! Be brave, it’s not that bad! :-)

12 Jodi November 7, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Your dinner tonight is perfect. I haven’t always been a huge fan of balsamic, but as I get older, I’m starting to really like it.

It’s always nice to share dinner-work with the hubs!
Jodi recently posted..Weekend and The Help

13 Laura@mypurposefullife November 7, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Grilling is definitely one of my favorite (if not my favorite) ways to cook. Right now I live in NYC so I sadly don’t have a grill, but when I lived at home in New Mexico, and still now when I’m there during holidays, my parents definitely grill year round. I’m sure I will too once I move out of NYC and have a grill. P.S. loved your comment about cutting the chicken breast in half cause it was too large, but you wouldn’t know! Haha! Right there with you. :)
Laura@mypurposefullife recently posted..Ignorance is Bliss: Factory Farming

14 Courtney November 7, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Hahaha, glad you caught on to that! ;)

15 Krissie J November 7, 2011 at 9:30 pm

They are not fun when a shirt fits you fine in the waist and the buttons are screaming, “DO NOT LET GO!!!!” because you’re a little top heavy. Blessings and curses happen on both ends of the spectrum. ;) We used to grill in the winter during college all the time. I would definitely brave the cold to grill as long as it wasn’t snowing or raining.
Krissie J recently posted..Race for Hope 5K

16 Courtney November 7, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Hahaha, I guess the grass is always greener, right?

17 Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 7, 2011 at 9:34 pm

What a yummy looking dinner! I love when my husband grills. SO manly :)
Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..A Rule For More Muscle

18 Catherine November 7, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Hahahaha i just spit my water all over my desk! when i use those silicon “stuffers” i refer to them as my chicken cutlets! hahaha

19 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 7, 2011 at 9:37 pm

We don’t put our grill away in the winter, just cover it. sometimes, if there’s not a foot of snow outside on the deck, I’ll bundle up and use it. sometimes… We have the exact opposite of the normal gender stereotypes in this house. I do all the grilling :)
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Philadelphia half marathon training week 8

20 Lindsey November 7, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Only in the warmer months! Which is usually May-September only :(
I love my crockpot for easy meals :) And warm comforting meals for the cold winter months!
Lindsey recently posted..Finding Motivation

21 Tracy @ Tracy's Treats November 7, 2011 at 10:05 pm

I’ve got some balsamic in my pantry right night….I should try adding it to zucchini too!
Tracy @ Tracy’s Treats recently posted..Salad on a Pizza and Lunchboxes

22 Khushboo November 7, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Hahah love the breast comment :)…right there with you!
Khushboo recently posted..Crossing boundaries

23 Candice November 8, 2011 at 1:43 am

The grill is thee best way to cook chicken hands down.. I despise winter for the fact its not as enjoyable to cook.. I have baked my chicken the past two weeks because of it!
Candice recently posted..Tasty Tilapia

24 Clare @ sweetnsimple November 8, 2011 at 2:01 am

Keen to try that sauteed zucchini too, and I love mashed sweet potato! I use a grill all year round, I think it is one of the best ways to cook :)

25 Tracy November 8, 2011 at 6:09 am

We grill out all year long – but live in Atlanta! Much different than upstate NY! I’m going to look for those potatoes next time I’m at the store, they look great!

26 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy November 8, 2011 at 7:19 am

Hahaha…I wouldn’t know either :). My dad always does all the grilling, but we usually stop after Labor Day.

27 Cat @Breakfast to Bed November 8, 2011 at 9:08 am

we’re about to move into our first house here in brooklyn, and I plan on using my grill EVERYDAMNDAY because I can.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Does a Succubus Bake?

28 Anna Crouch November 8, 2011 at 10:43 am

Girl, you don’t know what small boobs are until you have to shop in the little girls section to find your size. I “know a friend” who has experience :)