Let Me Give Ya The Skinny

by Courtney on November 8, 2011

I love all the different colors I packed up with me for lunch and snacks today. For some reason, I always feel like a meal is that much more enjoyable when there’s more colors on my plate. Anyone else with me on that one?

The main star of today’s lunch includes some leftovers from last night’s dinner. I paired the other half of my chicken along with the rest of the sautéed zucchini and some romaine to make for a little grilled chicken salad.

Since the salad isn’t huge, I also packed up a lemon Chobani, a delicious Cortland apple (they are SO good right now!) and some carrots and spinach artichoke dip.

Last week, I briefly mentioned this snazzy little Greek yogurt dip to you all and even had a couple of you ask me about it specifically. Some of you have seen it in the grocery store and are wondering whether or not it’s worth a buy. Well, let me give ya the skinny on this stuff.

First of all, I was offered an opportunity a few weeks ago through Clever Girls Collective to sample one of the Marzetti Otria® Greek Yogurt Veggie Dips. As always, I’m going to be totally honest with you all with my review so don’t you worry one bit about that.

There are currently five different flavors of the veggie dips, including Garden Herb Ranch, Cucumber Dill Feta, Chipotle Cheese, Salsa Cilantro, and Spinach Artichoke. After checking out all five, I decided to give the Spinach Artichoke a shot. What’s funny is that it wasn’t until after I bought it that I realized that I had actually already tried this same exact one. Whoops…so much for variety!

Nutrition-wise, there’s nothing jaw dropping; it’s pretty similar in fat and calorie content to my usual hommus that I enjoy with veggies, and the ingredient list is so-so – I’ve seen better and I’ve seen worse. Much worse.

marzetti otria greek yogurt veggie dip

Flavor-wise, I love this stuff. To be totally honest with you, I’m not always a huge fan of Greek yogurt dips. While I love Greek yogurt as-is, sometimes once it gets into “dip” form, the tanginess of the yogurt tends to turn me off.

However, this particular variety has a enough flavor from the spinach and artichokes to give it more of the creamy flavor that you would expect from a regular dip. It’s fairly creamy and actually reminds me a bit of  the consistency you would get from a dip made with low-fat or fat-free sour cream, so if that’s not your thing then this dip may not be for you. Hopefully that makes sense?

While I can’t speak for all of the flavors, since this is the only one that I’ve tried, I can definitely tell you that I have been enjoying this stuff with my carrot and celery sticks like it’s nobody’s business. Jay has even been enjoying it occasionally too, so we both decided to give it two thumbs up! (Or four, I suppose, depending on how you look at it…)

*****

This evening after work, I have a fun night planned, including some delicious-sounding food, dessert, and some face time with two very special ladies. I’ll be sure to fill ya’ll in later!

Questions for the Afternoon:

Do you like your veggies “naked” or dipped in something? What’s your favorite dipper?

Disclaimer: I was one of the bloggers selected by T. Marzetti Company and Clever Girls Collective to host a Marzetti Otria Greek Yogurt Veggie Dip review. They provided me with product to test and compensation for my time. However, my opinions are entirely my own.

1 Corey @ Family Fresh Meals November 8, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Sometimes I like naked, sometimes dipped! hehe I LOVE dipping veggies in salsa. I am addicted to the organic salsa from costco. mmmmmm
Corey @ Family Fresh Meals recently posted..Carrot Cake & Cupcakes

2 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn November 8, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Agreed. SO much better with color. Especially the seasonal New York State apples!! I’m kind of a chobani snob. I only get the plain and then add stevia/other flavorings. Ya I know. Maybe if I add a tadddd bit of lemon juice?
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..For the Strong in Heart

3 Michelle@Peachy Palate November 8, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I like them both ways, cold and roasted with a honey mustard dressing…if I had to pick a favourite dip it would be roasted red pepper hummus or a peanut and tahini dip…you can’t go wrong with a tub of cottage cheese either!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Back to Butternut

4 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat November 8, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I like hummus for most veggies, but peanut butter for carrots! :)

5 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 8, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Thanks for the review! I’ve been wondering how good this stuff actually is. I LOVE dips, probably a little bit TOO much. Most raw veggies are pretty boring to me without some sort of dip on them. My favorite vegetables to dip are broccoli and carrots!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Introducing… Trainer Tuesday!

6 Heather November 8, 2011 at 2:46 pm

currently got the same dip in my fridge….may need to break into that tonight, eh?
Heather recently posted..Gluten Free Cocoa Crispy Treats

7 Brigitt November 8, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I’ve seen this, but I haven’t tried it because I still haven’t fallen in love with greek yogurt! I do, however, like sour-cream based dips and I do prefer my veggies in dips so maybe I’ll have to give it a try!
Brigitt recently posted..Great Finds From the Free Table

8 Jillian @ sprinkle massacre November 8, 2011 at 2:49 pm

How funny! I am eating celery with the Cucumber Dill version as I am reading this! I like it. I am so indecisive though, so I brought hummus, too! :)

9 Laura November 8, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I totally feel like my meal is way more exciting (and healthier!) when I have a variety of colors. As for veggies, I like them enough that I don’t *need* dip, but I will eat more if there’s hummus involved. :)
Laura recently posted..Peace

10 Chels R. November 8, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I’m a hummus girl myself…but that dip looks yummy! I’ll definitely have to try it!
Chels R. recently posted..Back to life…back to reality.

11 Hope November 8, 2011 at 3:03 pm

That dip looks and sounds fantastic! I haven’t seen in that the supermarkets near me yet. I am going to have to look for it. I love dipping veggies in hummus or a sour-cream based dip. I like the tang that the sour cream gives the dip especially a veggie dip :) Have fun tonight!
Hope recently posted..Make New Friends But Keep The Old…

12 Rachelle November 8, 2011 at 3:08 pm

I like to dip them. My favorite dippers are tzasiki and roasted red pepper hummus. I also like a package of onion soup mix’s with sour cream since I grew up having this dip at special occasions.

13 Chelcie of Chelcie's Food Files November 8, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I haven’t tried those dips yet but they look so good! i like my veggies a LOT better with dips..especially when it comes to baby carrots!
Chelcie of Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..Busy Day!

14 Erica November 8, 2011 at 3:19 pm

i LOVE dipping veggies! classic ranch dips!!! i’m so unhealthy! ;p
Erica recently posted..ups and downs…

15 Shaina Reynolds November 8, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I’ve had the Chipotle Cheese and LOVED it! But have yet to find it in any grocery store near me. :-( I am not much of a spinach and artichoke fan so I may not go for that dip. I like to make my own homemade dips with plain chobani as the base!

16 Jodi November 8, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I have actually been contemplating trying this since I’ve seen it on STSL a few time. I am , however, completely addicted to hummus. (In a bady way.) I always prefer that for my dip of choice.
Jodi recently posted..Rack your Brain….for me

17 Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled November 8, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I love my veggies naked, but every once in a while, a dip or sauce is also good. The Chipotle Cheese sounds interesting too. I’d be curious to try that one.
Rosa – Fitness, Food, Fulfilled recently posted..Grilled Burrito

18 Kelly November 8, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I either use hummus or go naked.

Huh…now read that sentence and pretend you don’t know the context….haha…exactly!
Kelly recently posted..getting festive with it

19 Jen@FoodFamilyFitness November 8, 2011 at 4:14 pm

The more colorful my plate is, the happier I am :)
I saw those dips at Kroger the other day, but wasn’t sure if they were worth the price. I’ll have to get some next week, I’m a dipper for sure!
Jen@FoodFamilyFitness recently posted..Finding My Place

20 Lauren B. November 8, 2011 at 4:30 pm

I am SUCH a dipper! My absolute favorite dip is my homemade guac, but I also really love my roasted red pepper hummus, too. TJs salsa is incredibly good too. I’ll dip my stuff into just about anything (TWSS). :)

21 Candice @ Sailing on Paper November 8, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I definitely have to dip my veggies! I always eat more veggies when they’re dipped in something–but that also means I eat more dip! I think it’s worth it it, though.
Candice @ Sailing on Paper recently posted..Reaffirming Goals

22 Lena @Fit on the Rocks November 8, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I am definitely going to have to find that dip the next time I buy groceries! I like certain veggies (like bell peppers and tomatoes) without the dip, but I love dip with carrots, broccoli, and celery. Yummy!
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Should You Hire a Personal Trainer?

23 Liz @ Tip Top Shape November 8, 2011 at 6:08 pm

I usually eat my veggies without dip but I recently made Mama Pea’s hummus and have been drenching everything in it! This dip sounds fantastic! Love artichoke spinach!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Xoco

24 Shannon November 8, 2011 at 6:08 pm

I like veggies plain (except carrots, they break off my teeth) ; but sometimes I like to dip them in my mom’s veggie dip. It depends if I’m in a dip mood or not.
Shannon recently posted..The five things I’m (most) thankful for

25 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile November 8, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Yum!! It totally depends on my mood if I want naked or dipped. I like them both ways!

26 Heather November 8, 2011 at 8:10 pm

I’m a hummus lover through and through. Nothing like baby carrots dipped in hummus!
Heather recently posted..The Victoria’s Secret Diet

27 Paige @ RUnning Around Normal November 8, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I’ve actually tried that dip before – I really liked it! I think I bought it one time when we had friends over to watch football :)
Paige @ RUnning Around Normal recently posted..Intimidating Workouts

28 Carissa @fit2flex November 8, 2011 at 9:39 pm

I am for sure a raw veggie nibbler. That’s how my mom gave them to me as a kid so I love the that way, especially peppersm I do use dips at parties to avoid snacking on other, unhealthy items.
Carissa @fit2flex recently posted..Is milk bad for you?

29 Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog November 8, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I never tried this dip before! I’ve always loved dipping my veggies in hummus, but I might just give this a try. :)
Kim @ Eat, Live, and Blog recently posted..Something New

30 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill November 8, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I am always on the run when I am eating raw veggies, so I usually prefer them plain!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..We Made It To Curacao!

31 Marian November 8, 2011 at 11:30 pm

I have to agree more colors = a more satisfied tummy and mind for me! It also goes along with putting stuff on a plate and sitting down too! :)

32 Khushboo November 8, 2011 at 11:40 pm

I don’t mind them naked (TWSS) but I do prefer having raw veggies with dip, especially hummus or baba ghanoush (aubergine dip)!
Khushboo recently posted..Do your boss a favor

33 Katie November 9, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I had never seen this dip until you last posted about it, and right after that I saw it at the grocery store. I picked up the ranch flavor and loved it! I typically eat my veggies “naked” but I like to jazz it up once in awhile. I usually go the hummus route so this was a nice change of pace!
Katie recently posted..Brand-New Journey