Triple Whammy

by Courtney on November 9, 2011

Last night was a double whammy; I got to eat delicious food AND I got to hang out with Heather and Jen. Sweet!

Actually, I guess you could even call it a triple whammy because I also got to see cutie-pie Benson. I couldn’t believe how much bigger he had gotten since the last time that I saw him.

Kids kittens these days, they just grow up too fast!

Heather invited Jen and I over, along with a couple other friends of hers, for a delicious spread of appetizers, dinner, and dessert.

Soon after arriving, we spent some time chatting and catching up on life while nibbling on some cheese and crackers. Heather had recently attended a holiday entertaining class and I must say that she did quite a nice job at putting together these cheese platters. Who knew you were supposed to keep soft cheeses together and then progress to the harder cheeses?

That orange cheese up there on the left was some sort of apple-cinnamon cheddar and it knocked my socks off. The gooey-looking cheese on the right, however, made me think more of smelly socks. Wheeeewy!

The main dish for dinner was a sweet and hot slow cooker pork dish, made with Lucky Leaf apple pie filling. Lucky Leaf had actually provided Heather with the ingredients for last night’s dinner, so they made an appearance not only in dinner but in dessert, too.

Heather also prepared some tilapia with a blueberry-ginger marinade, so I decided to try a little of both, along with some salad. Everything was super delicious and I’m actually thinking that I might have to make this pork recipe at home now. I’m all about the slow cooker!

For dessert, we had parfaits…and ohhhh, were they delicious.

Layers of fresh pound cake, chocolate pudding, Lucky Leaf cherry pie filling, and whipped cream in glass is like a tiny piece of heaven for me. It was incredibly delicious.

All of us also helped in the preparations for a caramel apple cheesecake, but unfortunately, it wasn’t going to be ready on time by the time I left, so I’m counting on Heather to let me know how it is (you hear that, Heather!). Winking smile

It was great to be able to hang out with those ladies last night, and I’m hoping that I’ll get to see them again soon. Thanks again, Heather, for entertaining!

*****

Workout

This morning, I woke up and decided it was going to be a running day. I laced up my sneaks, hopped on the treadmill, and completed 4 miles in about 36 minutes. Not too shabby for this old lady, mwahaha.

After some solid stretching and a shower, it was time for breakfast. I still can’t even believe it but I could.not.wait to get back to this sandwich again today.

It’s currently my #1, and at the rate I’m going, I’m sure it’s just a matter of time before I overdo it and get sick of it. But for now…I will continue loving it.

Time to get ready for that work thang, but be on the lookout for a new recipe this afternoon. It’s a good one!

Questions for the Morning:

WOULD YOU RATHER:

• Eat strong, stinky cheeses –OR- mild, subtle cheeses?
  • Cook dinner in a slow cooker –OR- in the oven?
  • Eat apple pie –OR- cherry pie?

1 Steph @ StephSnacks November 9, 2011 at 9:19 am

All of that food looks delish! Especially the pork slow cooker recipe and the dessert. I’d definitely take apple pie over cherry pie to be honest ;)
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..August

2 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 9, 2011 at 9:20 am

Stinky cheeses, oven, classic apple!

That picture of the parfait had me staring at it for a good minute or two trying to figure out if it was a trick glass that leaned or the camera angle. Doesn’t it look like the glass is leaning!?
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Pumpkin chocolate cake with pumpkin frosting & Chickbands giveaway winners!

3 Courtney November 9, 2011 at 9:34 am

Hahaha, it must be my snazzy photography skills ;)

4 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat November 9, 2011 at 9:22 am

I love strong cheeses – why bother with plain ones? Apple cinnamon cheddar sounds amazing!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..What I Ate: Venice Edition

5 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 9, 2011 at 9:23 am

Looks like a fun evening full of great eats!!

I’d rather:
-Eat mild, subtle cheeses. The smell of the strong ones turn me off.
-Cook dinner in a slow cooker! I’m a huge fan of slower cookers. So simple and so delicious!
-Eat cherry pie. This one is tough because I love apple pie too and would never turn it down, but there’s something about a good cherry pie that is just amazing.
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW {What I Ate Wednesday} #8

6 Hope November 9, 2011 at 9:24 am

All of that food looks delicious! The apple cinnamon cheddar cheese sounds so interesting!

I would rather have a mild subtle cheese. Cook dinner in the slow cooker. I love how tender it makes chicken or beef. I like apple pie but I have to go with cherry pie! There is something about the cherry pie filling that is delicious :)
Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Meet My Bridesmaids…

7 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life November 9, 2011 at 9:24 am

My invitation must’ve gotten lost in the mail. ;) All the food looks great. I love cheese platters and I prefer the milder cheeses. Those parfaits look soo yummy! Dinner parties are so much fun!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..On a Mexican Quest

8 Mallory @ It's Only Life November 9, 2011 at 9:25 am

i’ve been having that exact sandwich for breakfast for the past few days too!- eggs keep me full for HOURS which is great because i have a serious snacking problem! ;)
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Blog Changes

9 Carissa November 9, 2011 at 9:29 am

I love, LOVE a good girls night. But my hubby always gets jealous that he doesn’t get fun. Does Jay?
Carissa recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday – Hemp Protein

10 Courtney November 9, 2011 at 9:33 am

Nah, not really. He’s pretty good about knowing I need my time with my pals :)

11 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries November 9, 2011 at 9:30 am

That looks so fun! I’d love to find a holiday entertaining class! Did she take it through a local college or something? (Heather, if you’re reading this – gimmie the deets! :) )
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Make a Muscle, Make a Difference

12 Courtney November 9, 2011 at 9:32 am

It was through Price Chopper, one of our local grocery stores. I wanted to go SO BAD but couldn’t make it :(

13 Heather November 9, 2011 at 8:32 pm

i saw this, C!! [but Courtney answered before me :)] just wanted you to know ;)
Heather recently posted..These Days

14 Jodi November 9, 2011 at 9:32 am

I definitely do NOT prefer strong cheese. Blech.. What is the red cheese? Is that cheese? lol

Looks like you girls had a great time!
Jodi recently posted..Comfort Food Minus the Guilt

15 Courtney November 9, 2011 at 9:32 am

Haha, I think it was salami ;)

16 H November 9, 2011 at 9:32 am

Bet you had a good time.

However I’ve got to say this – someone CANNOT be a vegetarian if they eat fish! They are a pescetarian.

17 Courtney November 9, 2011 at 9:36 am

Whoops, you’re totally right! I edited that because I’m not really sure what she calls herself. Thanks for the heads up!

18 H November 9, 2011 at 9:50 am

No problem – helps avoid confusion that’s all. One time my friend was chatting to a colleague and he said that his wife was ‘a strict vegetarian- she doesn’t even eat chicken’ LOL!

I’ve gotta try making parfaits some time! :D

19 Yaara November 9, 2011 at 9:37 am

Your eggs always look soo fluffy and delicious. How do you get them that way? Do you have a special pan or microwave egg cooker?

20 Traci November 9, 2011 at 9:45 am

Definitely mild cheeses (brie, I’m looking at you!), oven (there’s something so comforting about something warm and delicious-smelling in the oven), and apple pie with lots of cinnamon!

Sounds like a fun night. That apple cinnamon cheese sounds really unique – I want some!

21 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles November 9, 2011 at 9:56 am

Fun with friends is good for the heart! :) What a yummy night that must have been!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..This is what dreams are made of…..

22 Khushboo November 9, 2011 at 9:58 am

I love these girls night outs despite being married- gives me hope :)! Looks like a fun evening, and those parfaits look pretty parfait to me! ;)
Khushboo recently posted..Do your boss a favor

23 Lindsey November 9, 2011 at 9:59 am

Mild subtle cheese for sure!
I love my slow cooker :) Saves so much time!
Cherry I guess but really the only pie I like and eat is pumpkin! And even then I don’t eat the crust (I am odd, I know!).
Lindsey recently posted..Finding Motivation

24 Kathryn November 9, 2011 at 10:03 am

Mild cheese, slow cooker, apple pie…all the way!
Kathryn recently posted..A little bit of everything

25 Lena @Fit on the Rocks November 9, 2011 at 10:04 am

I just love cheese in general! I would rather do a crock pot any day. Do almost no work and come home to a great meal? Yes, please!
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Should You Hire a Personal Trainer?

26 Cat @Breakfast to Bed November 9, 2011 at 10:09 am

stinky-oven-cherry

Oh.heck.yes.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..A Lunchlady’s Homicidal Tendencies.

27 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine November 9, 2011 at 10:16 am

I love ALL cheeses! As far as cooking dinner goes, I love the slow cooker, but it’s kind of a pain to get down from on top of my cabinets and rather heavy (I always think I’m going to drop it on my head). For pie, I love cherry!
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..WIAW – Dia De Los Muertos Style

28 Nancy @ BeYoutiful Fitstyle November 9, 2011 at 10:30 am

Holiday entertaining class!?!?!?!?! Tell me more!!! I’d love to take a class like that. I’ve always been considered the domestically challenged one, and now that I am a home owner my family thinks I miraculously turned into this domestic woman that knows entertaining etiquette! Where can I find a class at?
Nancy @ BeYoutiful Fitstyle recently posted..Amusing and Eventful Morning

29 Sarah Bittorf November 9, 2011 at 11:03 am

WOW, that parfait looks amazing. I MUST try that.

Also, I had no idea about the soft/hard cheese thing. However, whenever I eat cheese, it’s always delish (of course, being a Wisconsin girl, it’s a necessity)!
Sarah Bittorf recently posted..First try @ pork in Belgium

30 Clare @ Fitting It All In November 9, 2011 at 11:24 am

1. I’m not a huge cheese person, but increasingly strong cheeses are growing on me!
2. I don’t have a crock pot, so oven!
3. APPLE!
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Sweet Potato & Pinto Bean Chili + Green

31 Lauren B. November 9, 2011 at 11:51 am

Mild cheese all the way- I love goat but HATE blue!
I’d rather cook dinner in whatever way gets yummy food in my belly!
Apple pie- but don’t forget the vanilla ice cream. It’s a must! Actually, any dessert calls for ice cream in my opinion.

32 Liz @ Tip Top Shape November 9, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Those desserts look so cute!! I would love that–but with a different filling. Cherry is not my thing..
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Xoco

33 Heather November 9, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Still havent tasted the cheesecake! I will def. report back :) Thanks for coming over, sweet friend!
Heather recently posted..Gluten Free Cocoa Crispy Treats

34 Cait @ Cait hates Cake November 9, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I like strong cheeses – a little goes a long way! Oven, I don’t have a slow cooker. And I prefer apple pie.
Cait @ Cait hates Cake recently posted..Cooking Shortcuts

35 Erica November 9, 2011 at 2:12 pm

mild cheese, please!
slow cooker! yum!
apple pie!
Erica recently posted..professional wedding pics: getting ready & bridal party

36 Shayla @ The Good Life November 9, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Gorgeous ladies!! And what delicious food – there’s nothing better than cheese and crackers ;) I’m slooowly getting on the stinky cheese bandwagon, but I still definitely favor the mild cheeses.

Ok, I’m gonna have to try this egg sandwich – between you and Julie you’re putting my yogurt messes to shame and got me drooling over here! And I’ve never ever tried it with jam, must make that happen :)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..How to Enjoy Holiday Eating, Without Fear

37 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 9, 2011 at 4:46 pm

This looks like such a fun night! Those parfaits look super yummy!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Mystery Diagnosis

38 Amanda November 9, 2011 at 6:16 pm

APPLE Pie over Cherry any day! :)

39 Shannon November 10, 2011 at 10:46 am

1) I’d rather eat mild, subtle cheeses.
2) Cook dinner in the oven
3) I like both apple and cherry pie- either one is good w/ me! :)
Shannon recently posted..My Second Judging Stint