Triple Whammy

Last night was a double whammy; I got to eat delicious food AND I got to hang out with Heather and Jen. Sweet!

Actually, I guess you could even call it a triple whammy because I also got to see cutie-pie Benson. I couldn’t believe how much bigger he had gotten since the last time that I saw him.

Kids kittens these days, they just grow up too fast!

Heather invited Jen and I over, along with a couple other friends of hers, for a delicious spread of appetizers, dinner, and dessert.

Soon after arriving, we spent some time chatting and catching up on life while nibbling on some cheese and crackers. Heather had recently attended a holiday entertaining class and I must say that she did quite a nice job at putting together these cheese platters. Who knew you were supposed to keep soft cheeses together and then progress to the harder cheeses?

That orange cheese up there on the left was some sort of apple-cinnamon cheddar and it knocked my socks off. The gooey-looking cheese on the right, however, made me think more of smelly socks. Wheeeewy!

The main dish for dinner was a sweet and hot slow cooker pork dish, made with Lucky Leaf apple pie filling. Lucky Leaf had actually provided Heather with the ingredients for last night’s dinner, so they made an appearance not only in dinner but in dessert, too.

Heather also prepared some tilapia with a blueberry-ginger marinade, so I decided to try a little of both, along with some salad. Everything was super delicious and I’m actually thinking that I might have to make this pork recipe at home now. I’m all about the slow cooker!

For dessert, we had parfaits…and ohhhh, were they delicious.

Layers of fresh pound cake, chocolate pudding, Lucky Leaf cherry pie filling, and whipped cream in glass is like a tiny piece of heaven for me. It was incredibly delicious.

All of us also helped in the preparations for a caramel apple cheesecake, but unfortunately, it wasn’t going to be ready on time by the time I left, so I’m counting on Heather to let me know how it is (you hear that, Heather!). Winking smile

It was great to be able to hang out with those ladies last night, and I’m hoping that I’ll get to see them again soon. Thanks again, Heather, for entertaining!

*****

Workout

This morning, I woke up and decided it was going to be a running day. I laced up my sneaks, hopped on the treadmill, and completed 4 miles in about 36 minutes. Not too shabby for this old lady, mwahaha.

After some solid stretching and a shower, it was time for breakfast. I still can’t even believe it but I could.not.wait to get back to this sandwich again today.

It’s currently my #1, and at the rate I’m going, I’m sure it’s just a matter of time before I overdo it and get sick of it. But for now…I will continue loving it.

Time to get ready for that work thang, but be on the lookout for a new recipe this afternoon. It’s a good one!

Questions for the Morning:

WOULD YOU RATHER:

• Eat strong, stinky cheeses –OR- mild, subtle cheeses?
  • Cook dinner in a slow cooker –OR- in the oven?
  • Eat apple pie –OR- cherry pie?

Comments

Looks like a fun evening full of great eats!!

I’d rather:
    -Eat mild, subtle cheeses. The smell of the strong ones turn me off.
    -Cook dinner in a slow cooker! I’m a huge fan of slower cookers. So simple and so delicious!
    -Eat cherry pie. This one is tough because I love apple pie too and would never turn it down, but there’s something about a good cherry pie that is just amazing.
    Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW {What I Ate Wednesday} #8

All of that food looks delicious! The apple cinnamon cheddar cheese sounds so interesting!

I would rather have a mild subtle cheese. Cook dinner in the slow cooker. I love how tender it makes chicken or beef. I like apple pie but I have to go with cherry pie! There is something about the cherry pie filling that is delicious :)
    Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Meet My Bridesmaids…

3. H says

Bet you had a good time.

However I’ve got to say this – someone CANNOT be a vegetarian if they eat fish! They are a pescetarian.

• Courtney says

Whoops, you’re totally right! I edited that because I’m not really sure what she calls herself. Thanks for the heads up!

• H says

No problem – helps avoid confusion that’s all. One time my friend was chatting to a colleague and he said that his wife was ‘a strict vegetarian- she doesn’t even eat chicken’ LOL!

I’ve gotta try making parfaits some time! 😀

4. Yaara says

Your eggs always look soo fluffy and delicious. How do you get them that way? Do you have a special pan or microwave egg cooker?

5. Traci says

Definitely mild cheeses (brie, I’m looking at you!), oven (there’s something so comforting about something warm and delicious-smelling in the oven), and apple pie with lots of cinnamon!

Sounds like a fun night. That apple cinnamon cheese sounds really unique – I want some!

Mild subtle cheese for sure!
    I love my slow cooker :) Saves so much time!
    Cherry I guess but really the only pie I like and eat is pumpkin! And even then I don’t eat the crust (I am odd, I know!).
    Lindsey recently posted..Finding Motivation

Holiday entertaining class!?!?!?!?! Tell me more!!! I’d love to take a class like that. I’ve always been considered the domestically challenged one, and now that I am a home owner my family thinks I miraculously turned into this domestic woman that knows entertaining etiquette! Where can I find a class at?
    Nancy @ BeYoutiful Fitstyle recently posted..Amusing and Eventful Morning

Mild cheese all the way- I love goat but HATE blue!
    I’d rather cook dinner in whatever way gets yummy food in my belly!
    Apple pie- but don’t forget the vanilla ice cream. It’s a must! Actually, any dessert calls for ice cream in my opinion.

Gorgeous ladies!! And what delicious food – there’s nothing better than cheese and crackers 😉 I’m slooowly getting on the stinky cheese bandwagon, but I still definitely favor the mild cheeses.

Ok, I’m gonna have to try this egg sandwich – between you and Julie you’re putting my yogurt messes to shame and got me drooling over here! And I’ve never ever tried it with jam, must make that happen :)
    Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..How to Enjoy Holiday Eating, Without Fear

Trackbacks