Bumper to Bumper

by Courtney on November 14, 2011

Holy cow, what a morning. Whew! Luckily, it was nothing but a little inconvenient, but first, let me catch ya up to speed on this weekend.

Down For The Count

Little of This, Little of That

Change of Pace

Now, back to this morning. In typical Monday-morning fashion, I rolled out of bed nice and early to head to BodyCombat. Today’s class seemed to focus a lot more on upper body than lower body, which I really enjoyed, and I have a feeling that my shoulders will be sore tomorrow.

After class was over, I left the gym and made a pit stop at the grocery store. I used to do this a lot over the summer and seemed to somehow get out of the habit; but honestly, grocery shopping at 6:45am on a Monday morning is fantastic. The store is empty, the shelves are freshly stocked, and there’s no waiting in line. It’s perfect!

I got myself in and out of the store within a half hour (impressive for me) and then headed home. By this time I was pretty hungry, so I was ready to get back and make some breakfast. Well, wouldn’t ya know that traffic was backed up in every single direction that I could possibly take to get home. It was bumper to bumper for everrrr.

As it turns out, apparently there was a propane truck that had overturned, causing lane closures on a majorly busy highway, during morning rush hour. My usual 12 minute drive home took me 46 minutes today. Forty-six minutes…three times my normal commute…which is not easy to handle when you’re hungry and have to pee!

Luckily, me and my bladder made it back in time, and I whipped up a quick breakfast.

I stocked up on some more waffles this morning, so there was no question in my mind on what was going to be on the menu today.

I love me some wafflewiches. Smile

I also picked up another new-to-me item this morning: Silk Pumpkin Spice soymilk.

I’ve had my eye out for this for a while now and today is the first day I actually found it. It’s super creamy, has a great pumpkin flavor, and is tasting mighty delicious in this morning’s mug of coffee. I’ll bet it’d be great just heated up and enjoyed on its own. Yum!

I have a few things to do today, including a trip to the DMV. Hopefully it’s nice and quick like last time. Happy Monday!

Questions for the Morning:

WOULD YOU RATHER…

• Drink coffee without sugar –OR- pancakes without syrup?
  • Be stuck in traffic with no radio –OR- with no heat/AC?
  • Have a more intense workout for your upper body –OR- your lower body?

1 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 14, 2011 at 9:24 am

-Coffee without sugar, I drink it that way anyway :)
-no radio ( i HATE being cold)
-upper body. Sore legs are the worst, especially when you need to squat to get on the toilet bowl! haha
Have a great Monday!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Philadelphia half marathon training: week 9

2 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 14, 2011 at 10:31 am

Those are my answers to the T! I knew we were friends for a reason. ;)
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..No Wining & No Whining

3 Kim @ The Family Practice November 14, 2011 at 9:25 am

I don’t put anything in my coffee but I might have to give that a try!! I bet it would be good steamed/foamy – yum yum yum!
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..Perfect Pumpkin Pie – with Chobani

4 Khushboo November 14, 2011 at 9:32 am

I’m on a huge waffle kick lately! It’s the only thing I seem to want to eat in the morning! As an alternative topper, try stirring jam/jelly into Greek yogurt- delicious!
Khushboo recently posted..You do you, I’ll do me

5 Lindsey November 14, 2011 at 9:49 am

Pancakes without syrup, I am not a huge syrup person anyways!
Stuck in traffic with no radio for sure! I hate hot, stuffy cars!
Upper body!
I need to find that pumpkin soy milk! Its my new mission ;)
Lindsey recently posted..Where To Start?

6 Traci November 14, 2011 at 9:51 am

Coffee with sugar, but that’s kind of cheating for me because I don’t put sugar in my coffee. And no radio & upper body. As much as I love feeling the burn in my legs and knowing I’m getting a good workout, I hate waddling around.

That breakfast looks delish! You’re making me want to try that combo.

7 Steph @ StephSnacks November 14, 2011 at 10:03 am

I hate when that happens.. especially when I am hungry and have to go to the bathroom! I am going to keep my eye out for that creamer. It looks fantastic.
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Pinterest Dreams

8 Heather November 14, 2011 at 10:05 am

Drink coffee without sugar! (I take mine black!)
Be stuck in traffic with no radio! (I use my iPOD ;-))
More intense workout for your upper body! (I loooove working my arms – it makes me feel especially strong!)

9 Lauren November 14, 2011 at 10:09 am

Loving that Pumpkin Spice soy milk in my pumpkin coffee! :)
Lauren recently posted..Locked Up

10 Hope November 14, 2011 at 10:11 am

I would rather have coffee without sugar. I typically don’t put sugar in my coffee anyway.

I would rather be stuck in the car with no heat/ac. I cannot sit in silence in the car.

That pumpkin spice soy milk looks yummy! :) Happy Monday!
Hope recently posted..The Start Of A Busy Week…

11 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles November 14, 2011 at 10:15 am

I always spend longer than I expect in the store… oops!
Coffee without sugar- I drink it like that anyways ;)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Lemons to Lemonade…

12 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries November 14, 2011 at 10:16 am

- Pancakes without syrup..I guesss ;)
- I’d rather have no radio – I could always play music from my iPhone and I hate being way too cold or way too hot!
- And after the half marathon this weekend (!!) I can barely walk – so I think an upper body workout has my vote today
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..I Think this Makes Me a “Runner”

13 Kathryn November 14, 2011 at 10:26 am

*Pancake without syrup, I have other things I enjoy putting on my pancakes so I wouldn’t be super sad to be without.
*No radio. In Phoenix, in the summer, you can come close to heat exhaustion if you aren’t moving and don’t have a/c in your car.
*I have 2 younger kids who enjoy being picked up…often. I’d rather have a sore lower body. If my upper is sore, I don’t feel comfortable picking up the kids.
Kathryn recently posted..Have you started making plans for the upcoming holiday season?

14 Shanna, Like Banana November 14, 2011 at 10:28 am

Being stuck in traffic *and* having to pee is the absolute worst!

WYR:
I’ll take coffee without sugar, because I use creamer anyway ;)
I’d rather drive w/o a radio than AC/Heat
I’ll go with lower body for the workout
Shanna, Like Banana recently posted..Weekend of Gifts

15 Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer November 14, 2011 at 11:02 am

The Mint Chocolate Silk is also delicious, I recommend picking that one up too!
Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer recently posted..Happy Birthday Sara

16 Kelly November 14, 2011 at 11:16 am

Pancakes with no syrup (that’s how I eat them anyway…most of the time)
No radio…I can’t stand to be hot! In Texas AC is a must.
Intense lower body…although I love to work my arms but I feel like overall I get a better workout when my big muscles are working!
Kelly recently posted..weekend in review

17 Liz @ Tip Top Shape November 14, 2011 at 11:29 am

Ohhh!! I must find that! Have you tried the chocolate peppermint stick? I think it’s by West Soy and it is absolutely delicious!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Ways To NOT Get The Girl

18 Cat @Breakfast to Bed November 14, 2011 at 11:58 am

there is a chocolate peppermint coconut milk. OHMAHGAWD. YOu’ve gotta try it.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Swine and Virgins

19 Mallory @ It's Only Life November 14, 2011 at 12:07 pm

you definitely turned me on to Van’s waffles! i can’t believe how hearty they are compared to eggos (a childhood fav)– and for less calories too!

thanks!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Hangover Without Alcohol

20 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health November 14, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I would rather drink coffee without sugar for sure! And definitely be stuck in traffic without the radio…if I was really desperate I could sing to myself haha. I just recently bought the Silk Nog and it is amazing…if you like egg nog you should definitely give it a try!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Weekend in Florida

21 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 14, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I would rather drink coffee with no sugar! I love syrup on pancakes!

Sorry traffic blew this morning – that’s always so frustrating!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..maple roasted squash rounds with rosemary

22 Grecia November 14, 2011 at 1:02 pm

ooh I have been wanting to try that soy milk flavor as well as the mint chocolate one. They look really delicious!

23 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 14, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I’m sorry to hear about your long commute this morning! One thing that really makes me bonkers is traffic, so I feel your pain, especially when you’re hungry and have to pee. ;)

I’d rather:
-Drink coffee without sugar. I’ve learned to not like my coffee super sweet anyways. Plus, I love me some maple syrup!! :)
-Be stuck in traffic without radio. I’d just probably just call someone.
-Have a more intense upper body workout. This one was a tough one to choose for me, but my arms are not one of my favorite parts, so it always feels good to work them out hard.
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Giving It Another Shot

24 Erica November 14, 2011 at 2:02 pm

1. coffee with no sugar…what’s pancakes without syrup?!?!
2. no radio.
3. hmmm that’s a tough one. i’m currently suffering from an intense lower body workout. but i know when the arms are sore, driving is a pain! (literally)
Erica recently posted..professional wedding pics: just the two of us

25 Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 14, 2011 at 2:07 pm

eggs and jam is THE best combo ever!!!! YUMM.

I hate being hungry and having to pee—worst feeling.EVer.
Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Celebration Workouts

26 Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled November 14, 2011 at 2:14 pm

OMG, isn’t traffic the worst? I sit in it every day and just can’t seem to get used to it.

I always eat my pancakes with butter and/or jam. I’m just not a syrup person at all. And no sugar in my coffee? Not happening. I love it overly sweet. Bitterness is not allowed!
Rosa – Fitness, Food, Fulfilled recently posted..Monday’s Great Marinade Recipe

27 Lena @Fit on the Rocks November 14, 2011 at 2:45 pm

1) GOOD coffee without sugar
2) Without radio. My heating/cooling system has been broken for awhile (don’t want to fix it since I plan on switching cars soon-ish) and sitting in a car, in traffic, in 105F is MISERABLE.
3) Upper body. My lower body is actually pretty strong, but my upper body strength is lacking.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Long Run Sundays: Uphill Both Ways

28 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile November 14, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I hate traffic! Esp on an empty stomach, no good.
1.Drink coffee without sugar ! I usually do that anyway or use stevia.
2.Be stuck in traffic with no radio. I’d die without AC!
3.This is a tough one. My legs are stronger but I do a lot of arms lately and have gotten some good definition. I love the feeling after a great leg workout though!

29 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat November 14, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Coffee without sugar (it’s all about the caffeine!), no radio (I can’t stand to be cold), and upper body – my lower body gets worked enough from all my cardio! :)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Miscellaneous Monday

30 Carol @ Lucky Zucca November 14, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Sorry it took you so long to get home! That stinks! I hate when I’m on a roll and then get stuck in traffic. Glad you made it home safe though!
1. Pancakes! I don’t like syrup (I know, I’m “weird”)
2. No radio depending on the time of year. Right now though, no heat/AC! I’d just roll the windows down & enjoy the fresh air!
3. I’d rather do a lower body workout! That’s where most of my fat blasting needs to happen! hehe
Carol @ Lucky Zucca recently posted..Wish Lists

31 Rebecca November 14, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Sorry to hear you got caught up in traffic. The combination of needing to pee and being hungry is the worst too! But such a great looking breakfast makes it worth it :)

1-I always drink my coffee without sugar with almond breeze. 2-My radio is/has been broken for a while, so I’m ok with it now. 3-Lower body workout for sure
Rebecca recently posted..Sunday Things

32 Shannon November 14, 2011 at 4:33 pm

1. Pancakes w/out syrup- I already do this but replace syrup with butter and sugar or just leave pancakes plain.

2. Get stuck in traffic with no radio

3. Lower body workout- my left knee is very weak and it hurts whenever I walk so that extreme workout would definitely wake it up.
Shannon recently posted..Veteran’s Day

33 Pamela November 14, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Yum – Pumpkin spice soy milk! I will have to look for this at my grocery store. It would be great in coffee or a homemade pumpkin spice latte! :) I would rather have pancakes without syrup. I love my coffee sweet!
Pamela recently posted..Chicken Stuffing Casserole

34 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats November 14, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Eww having to pee + being stuck in traffic is the worst! I would rather have pancakes without syrup, be stuck in traffic with no radio, and have an intense upper body workout! I love lifting arms! :)
Abby @ Abz ‘n’ Oats recently posted..Live Fit Trainer Week One

35 Leah November 16, 2011 at 9:30 am

Courtney,

I just wanted to ask if you have done any research on soy milk. I used to drink it all the time, but it appears as though it’s not that healthy or safe. :( You may want to check it out.

Leah :)

36 Courtney November 16, 2011 at 10:17 am

Thanks, Leah. I have read up a bit on soy milk, but I honestly very rarely drink it so I tend not to worry about it too much. :)