I Know What He Is Talking About

Last night after slipping into my carb comma from our pancake dinner, Cody and I enjoyed a little more cuddling. This guy seriously just cannot get enough of my lap these days.

And the positions he gets himself into? Seriously, hilarious.

P.S. – Have you noticed my repeated cozies outfit for the umpteenth time in a row? I almost feel bad about my constantly looking like a scrub after 5pm, but then again, I really don’t feel bad at all. Winking smile

*****

Fast-forward to this morning and I am going to tell you that I survived one of the most intense workouts that I’ve done in a long time. And by long time, I mean since about January 21st

This morning, I was thrilled to see that the Rock Hard Total Body video was BACK! Not only do I love this video for the killer workout that it gives me, but I also found it extremely interesting to do this time around, since I’ve been studying for the NASM exam. Many of the things that Marco Reed would talk about during the workout were things that I’ve been studying, so I could totally relate on a whole different level.

source

For example, the Rock Hard Total Body video is considered to be anaerobic interval training, or as many others know it, HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). The word ‘anaerobic’ literally means “without oxygen,” and when you’re working at such a high intensity, your cardiovascular system can’t deliver the oxygen to the muscles fast enough.

For that reason, anaerobic moves (or HIIT) should only be done for short periods of time; each move in this video is completed for 45 seconds, with 15 seconds active recovery, which allows for maximum muscle recruitment, ultimate fat-burning and muscle building potential. Needless to say, I already know I’m going to be sore tomorrow!

Ok, whew. Kind of long-winded there. Let’s talk about breakfast…

Does something look familiar to you??? Winking smile

It probably does, since this was my week-long repeat breakfast from a few weeks ago. The bread may look exactly like the original bread I was eating before, but it’s actually a totally new experiment of mine, which I worked on yesterday. I’m thrilled with how it came out so I’ll be sure to share it with you as soon as I write it all up. It’s amazing.

On the side, I enjoyed my ketchup-covered scrambled eggs, because that’s the only way to eat ‘em…unless they’re covered in raspberry jam, of course.

And another mug of coffee with my new Silk Pumpkin Spice. I actually used to drink my coffee with soy milk all the time, but I ended up getting out of the habit, and I think I know why.

As yummy as the flavor is from the soy milk, and even though it tastes nice and creamy, I miss the way that it doesn’t lighten up the coffee. It seems like no matter how much I add, the color doesn’t really seem to change much, which in turn, plays mind tricks on me. I know that it tastes creamy, but it doesn’t look creamy, so it throws me all off.

Anyone else have any idea what I’m talking about?

*****

Okay, I apparently could talk the ear off an elephant this morning, so it’s time to wrap it up and get headed to work. Guess what…cookie recipe comin’ atcha this afternoon!

Questions for the Morning:

Do you think that you’ve learned more about exercise the more you do it?

Are there certain things about exercise you wish you knew more about?

Comments

Ive definitely learned more about exercise over the years! Interesting about only doing 45-second bursts. My intervals tend to be slightly longer but I think I’m going to reduce them and amp up the speed even more. Have a great day!
    Khushboo recently posted..You do you, I’ll do me

I’ve definitely learned a lot about exercise the more I do it and the more I research it. I think our bodies are amazing and with the right training, we can do so many things. I actually added some fitness books to my Christmas wishlist. I really want to read The New Rules of Lifting for Women.

I’m in my cozies as soon as I walk through the door. Who doesn’t love to be comfy at home?
    Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..H is for Holidays

One time my mom and I went to a vegan restaurant where they only had a soy creamer-needless to say, my mom poured in the whole serving they gave us thinking that it would turn lighter the more she poured in!!! She was not happy-she wanted her light coffee! lol
    Jess @ Jess Go Bananas recently posted..Amazing!

I have learned a lot about working out in the last couple of years for sure and I just keep learning :) I wish I knew more about which moves worked better than others and what moves compliment what – if that makes sense.
    PS I am in my PJs everyday right after the gym too :)
    Lindsey recently posted..Early Christmas Gift!

I’ve learned a lot since I started circuit training and pump FX. Mainly how important having the correct stance is to each of the exercises you do. I see so many people tackle it in the wrong way and straining their backs / necks, it makes me cringe.
    I am totally anal about having the correct position when doing moves like press ups, planks and lifting weights. My husband takes the mickey out of me all the time.
    I’d love to learn more about stretching and cool down’s. I tend to shy away from cooling down after a gym session for fear I look like a wally.

PS I thought the coffee was just really strong so I know what you mean. Makes me think it would taste bitter when I’m sure its not ;)
    AnnetteCook recently posted..Christmas secrets

Oh I absolutely think I’ve learned more about exercise the more that I do it! And I was an exercise science major and I got to learn all of the nifty stuff that happens on the inside when we exercise! I totally know what you mean about putting soymilk in coffee- I don’t like that it doesn’t get lighter!! It makes me not want to drink it haha. What do you put in your coffee now?
    Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Natural Vitality Review and Giveaway

I would definitely love to learn more about exercise and energy expenditure- i’m a science nerd for sure. like, if you run every day and your body gets “used” to it, do you burn less calories? does it take less energy to do what was once very laborious? stuff like that is intriguing to me! (i’m not asking you, just hypothetical, but if you have any insight id love to hear! :D)
    Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Hangover Without Alcohol

• Courtney says

Yes! That’s actually along the lines of the Principle of Specificity (also known as SAID). Basically, it explains how the body will adapt to the specific type of demands that are placed on it. So if someone repeatedly runs long distances and has built up that endurance then the body will more easily be able to adapt and in turn, burn less calories. If that same person were to suddenly incorporate weight training into their workouts, it would be a new demand for the body, so it would be more difficult for the body to adapt to it. (Hopefully that makes sense and you don’t mind the answer!) :)

I’ve learned so much about exercise in the last several years, but more importantly, I’ve started actually implementing a lot of what I’ve learned into my workouts. For instance, I used to not take rest days, but when started doing it (mostly because I was physically exhausted), I started seeing better results. And doing weights? So great for the metabolism.
    Rosa – Fitness, Food, Fulfilled recently posted..Up At Night

9. Alyssa says

I think I’ve learned a lot about exercise from different blogs, and then realize what they’re talking about when I go out to do it myself! I think I’ve learned a lot from trial and error.

And YES I know exactly what you mean about the soy milk! Especially when my coffee is dark and the milk starts to curdle…not pretty.

10. Katie says

It’s so funny that you mention the coffee non-lightening experience; just this morning, I added almond milk to my coffee for the first time and was thrown off by the lack of color change. I had not been expecting that!

I totally feel you on the soy creamer! I use it all the time now because regular upsets my stomach, but as long as it tastes good I try to ignore the darkness. I love learning about exercise things and I do feel like I have learned more over the years!
    Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..Catching Up

I’ve definitely learned so much more about exercise over the years – I especially love it when fitness instructors mention interesting facts like the one above. My spin instructors always talk about going to your anaerobic threshold and doing HIIT training – very interesting stuff!

And I am totally with you on loving my coffee “light”. I hate it when my coffee doesn’t have that “light” color to it, it totally throws me off even if it tastes creamy! ;)
    Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..A Very Special Weekend