Pumpkin Banana Bread

by Courtney on November 16, 2011

Alright, let’s talk about that “special bread” I’ve been mentioning for the past two days.

I know I was a little bit of a tease and honestly, I promise I would have given it to you sooner…but first, I had to remember the ingredients that I used and actually write them out. Whoops.

This bread actually incorporates two of my favorite healthier bread recipes in a way that just works: a yummy fusion of banana + pumpkin bread.

I’m warning you that they incorporate my “healthier” bread recipes because I don’t want you to end up like Jay did when he took his first bite and was disappointed that it didn’t taste like his mom’s pumpkin bread.

“Of course it won’t honey. It doesn’t have a cup of oil in it.”

Oil and all though, my mother-in-law does make an amazing pumpkin bread. It’s not healthified in any way, shape, or form, but it’s a holiday treat and I always savor every last bite. Actually, it usually doesn’t take Jay and I more than a couple of days to finish off the loaf.

But now, lucky for me, I’ve got a new bread in town that can be enjoyed more than once a year and can keep me AND my waistline happy. So I guess I can’t feel *too* bad about finishing off the loaf all by myself in one week, right?

*****

Enjoy a slice cold, or reheated in the microwave for 15 seconds, topped with pumpkin butter, or with peanut butter.

Either way, it’ll taste delicious!

1 Danielle November 16, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Yum! I’ve had uber-ripe bananas in the freezer for a while waiting for the perfect recipe and I think I just found it! Making these tonight. :)
Danielle recently posted..Peanut Butter Chocolate Candy Cookie Bars

2 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile November 16, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Two of my favorite things as well! Once I get some super ripe bananas, I’ll totally be making these :)

3 Danica @ It's Progression Not Perfection November 16, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Courtney, this recipe looks fantastic! I really wanted to do some baking tonight anyway, so maybe this will be in the mix…however, do you know of what I could use in place of the yogurt?
Danica @ It’s Progression Not Perfection recently posted..Benefits of Morning Workouts

4 Courtney November 16, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Hmmm, maybe applesauce? Or oil? I’m just not sure how the consistency would be effected since the yogurt makes it so moist. If you give it a try, let me know!

5 Hope November 16, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I’ve been wanting to make pumpkin banana bread! You absolutely read my mind! Over the weekend, I made peanut butter banana bread and it turned out amazing! It was the first time I ever made bread. Now I’m itching to make another loaf. I’m definitely trying out your recipe! :)
Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: The Wedding Ring…

6 Carol @ LuckyZucca November 16, 2011 at 2:12 pm

This looks delicious Courtney! I love pumpkin flavored things and banana bread, so I think this is a great combo! Thanks for sharing!
Carol @ LuckyZucca recently posted..Ho-Hum

7 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat November 16, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I made Holly’s recipe after you posted it, and now I want to make this version too! The yogurt really helps make it taste like a regular quick bread. Looks delish! :)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday – Bologna (Italy, not the lunch meat) Edition

8 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 16, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I came up with a Pumpkin Banana Bread recipe somewhat recently too (you can view it here: http://www.myfoodnfitnessdiaries.com/2011/10/04/pumpkin-banana-bread/) that I’ve been LOVING lately!! Both the bananas and the pumpkin together make the bread so moist and soft! I love it with peanut butter. I want to try out your recipe too – looks delish!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW {What I Ate Wednesday} #9: I Love Chocolate

9 Courtney November 16, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Oooo yes, yours looks and sounds delicious too! Great minds think alike, right? ;)

10 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine November 16, 2011 at 2:43 pm

You just proved it doesn’t have to have oil in it to be delicious, oil does help though!
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..WIAW – Foodsession Style

11 Courtney November 16, 2011 at 2:48 pm

It definitely helps the flavor…just not my pants fitting. ;)

12 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 16, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Looks delicious! I feel like I always have to preface my baked goods with “this is healthified” to my husband otherwise he expects some sugar laden treat!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Baked apple oatmeal

13 Jackie @ That Deep Breath November 16, 2011 at 3:35 pm

yum!! This may have to be my first pumpkin bread of the season!!
Jackie @ That Deep Breath recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday #18

14 Shannon November 16, 2011 at 4:09 pm

My brother thinks this bread looks delicious.
Shannon recently posted..Where can I go or what can I do for inspiration?

15 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 16, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Yum! I’m pinning this! :-)
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Tuesday

16 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health November 16, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Oh yum that looks fabulous!! Thank you for making it up..and for sharing :)
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Natural Vitality Review and Giveaway

17 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie November 16, 2011 at 5:05 pm

i made chocolate chip pumpkin bread (healthy) last year and i thought it tasted better than fattening kind! maybe our taste buds just get used to it :)
alyssa – fashion fitness foodie recently posted..Detox Soup

18 Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 16, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I don’t like bananas but i LOVE pumpkin! Yumm!
Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Carrot Cake Recipe (Healthier)

19 Jess @ Jess Go Bananas November 16, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Fabulous!!! I cannot wait to try this out! :D
Jess @ Jess Go Bananas recently posted..I Got Some Chips!

20 Alexa @ Simple Eats November 16, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Looks amazing! Could I use egg instead of egg substitute?
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..It’s OK If…

21 Courtney November 16, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Yup! Absolutely :)

22 Amanda @ Semi-Health Nut November 16, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Yum! I made some of this too although I called it Banana Pumpkin Bread and used totally different ingredients (besides the nanner and pumpkin lol). I will have to try this one out!

Here’s mine: http://semihealthnut.blogspot.com/2011/08/banana-pumpkin-breadfall-is-sooner-than.html

I am curious…what’s the difference between pastry flour and regular flour??
Amanda @ Semi-Health Nut recently posted..{WIAW} Eating on the Go

23 Courtney November 16, 2011 at 10:25 pm

I wish I knew a good answer for you, Amanda! Honestly, it’s the only whole wheat flour I had so I used it. I do know that pastry flour is supposed to help the quality of baked goods, but exactly how, I’m not sure. :-/

24 briana November 16, 2011 at 7:03 pm

We should sound alike! :) I made a “healthy” loaf of banana pumpkin bread with the addition of yogurt raisins and have pretty much been eating it twice a day and I will probably finish it all by myself too!

25 Courtney November 16, 2011 at 10:24 pm

oh good lord, that sounds amazing! I LOVE yogurt raisins but won’t buy them because I demolish the bag way too fast…

26 Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 16, 2011 at 8:34 pm

It may not have a ton of oil in it, but it still looks really moist! And I love the idea fo combining pumpkin and banana!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..WIAW and advice from “My” Trainer.

27 Mallory @ It's Only Life November 16, 2011 at 8:53 pm

it sure doesn’t *look* healthy, which is a good sign! :D looks awesome courtney..i’m all about pumpkin/banana breads, so this recipe will definitely be utilized!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Pyramid Treadmill Workout

28 Michelle @ Yoga Health for Life November 16, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Why have I not combined banana and pumpkin before? This combo his hitting me like a train, I can’t wait to try it! I’m making a healthy pumpkin mousse for Thanksgiving and I think this would go great with it!

29 Khushboo November 16, 2011 at 11:40 pm

“Of course it won’t honey. It doesn’t have a cup of oil in it.”–> hhahahaha, love this!
Khushboo recently posted..Would you like some cheese with that wHine?

30 Tracy @ Tracy's Treats November 17, 2011 at 12:10 am

That bread looks really good. I’m going to a Thanksgiving potluck, so I may try this! Thanks for posting!
Tracy @ Tracy’s Treats recently posted..Oodles of Noodles and Chocolate in the Mail

31 Danielle November 17, 2011 at 8:02 am

Yum! This post had me drooling. Can’t wait to try it out!

32 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl November 17, 2011 at 8:50 am

mmmmm that looks delicious – I love healthified recipes. Yes I’ll admit I can taste the difference but I don’t mind it and i genuinely like it as much as the less healthy stuff!
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Dueling Donuts: Blueberry Wildcat Cake and Go Big Red Velvet

33 Cat @Breakfast to Bed November 17, 2011 at 9:08 am

I guess it would defeat the purpose if I added chocolate chips.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Don’t Let a Naked Guy Sully Your Memories.

34 Holly November 17, 2011 at 9:47 am

YUM!! Thank you for the link- CANNOT wait to make this. Thinking of maybe making it this weekend…between studying ;)
Holly recently posted..Clothes of a Champion

35 Merrie@ MICAgalleries November 17, 2011 at 2:21 pm

This looks delicious and I have two brownish banana’s just sitting on my counter!
Merrie@ MICAgalleries recently posted..“Abbie”- In Progress

36 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 18, 2011 at 2:39 pm

This looks sooo good! Moist, rich, and perfect! I bet the yogurt in it just makes it that much better. My mom and grandma use that trick to keep things from drying out.
Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga recently posted..2011 Holiday Card

37 Hillary October 12, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I had a banana muffin failure this afternoon. Might have to give this moist-looking recipe a try :)
Hillary recently posted..#ChooseHappy

38 Courtney September 25, 2013 at 3:11 pm

If I wanted to use just plain ol’ egg in place of its substitute, how many would you suggest using?

39 Courtney September 25, 2013 at 3:13 pm

And one last thing, do you think it would be noticeably different in taste if I used a plain Chobani instead of vanilla? So many questions, particular baker here… Lol, sorry!

40 Courtney September 27, 2013 at 9:20 am

1 egg would do the trick in place of the egg substitute, and I’m sure plain Chobani would be totally fine! It’ll just be a little less sweet, so if that suits your tastes, then you’re good to go. Enjoy :)

41 brandee October 4, 2013 at 2:05 pm

I Just put this in the oven while the baby is sleeping! I can’t wait to try it :)