Fashion Friday: Favorite Hair Products

Happy Fashion Friday!

Today’s Topic: My Favorite Hair Products

I figured that since I shared some of my favorite hair tools with you a couple of weeks ago, today would be a good day to share some of my favorite hair products. I often get asked what I use in my hair and honestly, I have a pretty straightforward routine:

Shampoo, Condition, Protect, Blow Dry, Style (occasionally), and Hairspray (sometimes)

Depending on how much time I feel like devoting to my hair on a certain day will dictate how many of my products that I use. I actually have quite a variety of products in my arsenal, thanks to my mom being a hairdresser and letting me try out new stuff every now and then. Some of the stuff is great, but I have no idea how to use it right, so let me give ya the rundown on the goods that I use on more of a regular basis.

*Redken Extreme Anti-Snap

source

I started using the Extreme Anti-Snap probably a little over a year ago and it’s just great. It provides heat protection, reduces friction from brushing and helps prevent breakage and split ends. To Use: Apply a small amount to ends of damp hair, comb through, and blow dry/style as usual.

*Redken Forceful 23 Super Strength Finishing Spray

source

Okay, so my hair is as limp as it comes. It does not have one single ounce of natural curl or wave to it, and as soon as the humidity and dampness arrives, it gets just plain old limp and lifeless. That being said, I need a hairspray that is super strong, but without all the stickiness, and this Forceful 23 has long been one of my favorites. Another favorite of mine, if the Redken 23 isn’t available is the Redken Quick Dry 18 Instant Finishing Spray.

*Paul Mitchell Extra-Body Daily Boost

source

This Extra-Body Daily Boost root lifter is one of those products that I really only use on days where I feel like attempting to give my hair a little extra “oomph.” It gives fine hair, such as my own, some extra body at the roots, which is something I will always be envious of with anyone it comes naturally to. One thing I have found with this product, however, is that if I use it too many days in a row (3+) I’ll start to get product buildup and it actually ends up doing the opposite, making my roots sticky and gross. To Use: Spray at roots of damp hair and rub in using fingers. Blow dry and style as usual.

*Pantene Heat Protection & Shine Spray

source

This heat protection spray comes from their line of products for fine hair, which is usually what I’m looking for. It helps protect hair against heat styling damage while leaving hair soft and healthy looking. If I’m not planning on using my straightener or curling iron, I usually don’t end up using this (even though I probably should, with all the blow drying I do). To Use: Shake well before using, and apply liberally section by section to hair that is going to be flat-ironed or curled.

As far as shampoo and conditioner go, I’m really not super loyal to any particular product. I’ve been known to use everything from high-quality Redken products to the $1.97 bottle of Suave that I can grab at Wal-Mart. Yes, I do notice somewhat of a difference when I use the high-end products, but lately, it just hasn’t been worth the splurge.

I’m currently using: Pantene Flat to Volume Shampoo & TRESemme 24 Hour Body Conditioner.

*****

Now, let’s hear some of your favorites!

Question for the Afternoon:

What hair products are you currently using/loving?

Comments

I need to find some dry shampoo-with all my sweatyness teaching all the time–I only wash my hair every other day (i still shower daily, no worries! Hah).

I use a shampoo and conditiioner that are all-natural and contain 100% CPTG essential oils. Smells amazing and my hair is shiny and looks so healthy! Hallelujha!

-love Redken though!
    Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Focus On: Triceps Dips

I have a TON of products in my arsenal, being *blessed* (if you can say that) with curly hair:

L’Oreal Everpure Smooth Shampoo/Conditioner
    Tigi Bedhead Curls Rock Styling Creme
    Aussie Sun Touched Shine Hi Hold/Hi Shine Hairspray
    Organix Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage Serum

Phew, holy cow I use all of that every. single. day. And once a week I do a clarifying shampoo (usually Neutrogena) and deep conditioner (Usually Aussie 3 minute miracle)

I use live clean shampoo and conditioner because it is sulfate free and helps to keep my color better and longer.
    I product I recently started using and loving is GOSH dry shampoo – I only wash my hair every other day but for days I do not wash it and workout this is a must , especially with bangs!
    Lindsey recently posted..Foodie Friday!

oooh fun question!

My favorite without a doubt is Curls Rock by Catwalk. I have the kind of hair that is part wavy, part straight, part curly and very think. Curls Rock actually makes me look like I have thick beautiful curly hair. I love it.

I love Redken products. My mom has always used them, so I guess I started to also because of her. Now that I support myself, I, like you, don’t splurge on the expensive shampoos & conditioners as much. They sure do add up! I do like to splurge a little more on hair protectant and hair sprays though. I also use a Frizz Ease serum that I put in my hair when I straighten it to take away the fly-aways and make it silky smooth.
    Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Chili For A Chilly Day

My mother in law had purchased Wen and gave me her second bottle. I wasn’t sold at first, but now, I’m really liking it. I don’t like the hefty price tag on it, but I suppose it replaces shampoo and conditioner, so I’ll have to think about it when I run out.
    Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer recently posted..How TwiHard are You?

As crazy as it sounds you should try the root lifter from Victoria’s Secret called “So Sexy”! I have super fine hair too and it works wonders! No build up either, and it smells delicious!
    Amanda recently posted..Food and Workouts

8. Sarah says

i dont use a whole bunch of products. I have never used hairspray. I have never used or needed a curling iron as i have dark curly hair already. Yes, i am very jealous of your pin straight hair. It takes me a whole lot of time to straighten my mane- about 45 minutes! I used to use a Conair that we have had since i was born! We have used since then till now( 15years!) and it has worked great. Just too bulky. As one of my friends told me when she saw it “the straightener has evolved since then” haha. Now i use an amazingly fast one that looks nice and is very portable- it is a remington and was 45 bucks-talk about value! As for shampoo and conditioner, i have tried em all. I usually use biotin and organic ones just cuz i feel better about using it. Yes, it is very expensive ( well i don’t pay for it, not 18 yet!) but i consider it an investment. I used to be head and shoulders, suave too. But a usual i love is Herbal Essences. Also i use a round brush with a gel grip (not sure wat thats for), but not a paddle. Oh and thanks for the heads up on using a brush with wet hair! I never knew that before! Have a great day Courtney!

I use a mixture of Pantene and Herbal Essences in my hair. For some reason that is the only thing that works. I have super thick and curly/wavy hair. It makes it much easier manage and it shortens the time that it takes me to blow dry and flat-iron it straight. I would love to wear my hair curly but I have yet to find products for curly hair that work.
    Hope recently posted..Celebrating 6 Years Together…

I love Redken products. My sister is a stylist so I get stuff pretty cheap, too – which is a great bonus! I love the both the Color Protection and All Soft Redken products. I’ve not heard of the Extreme Anti-Snap though! I need to try that!

I use the Herbal Essences Color Me Happy Shampoo and Conditioner. I two different color highlights in my hair and I find that this product helps keep them vibrant longer. I also use Herbal Essences Body Envy Volume Mousse before I blow Dry my hair.
    I have anti frizz stuff but I don’t usually use it. I also used to use wax when my hair was really short and that worked great!
    I am also like you in that if I need shampoo I just go to Walmart and get what I find on sale. I usually stock up on my normal product at BJ’s when they have the coupon for it.
    Ashlee recently posted..Feeling Pretty Crafty :)

My hair is getting so dry lately, I don’t know if it’s the weather or what. I need to check out some of these products! I use Tresseme anti-breakage shampoo and conditioner and I usually use the chi infusion serum that came with my flat iron (when I blow dry/flat iron). Since noticing the dryness, I’ve started using the hairdryer on warm/cool, but I think I need something more protective or a deep conditioning treatment.
    lauren recently posted..Planning Ahead – Multigrain Pizza Dough

13. Erin says

Hey :) Where do you find that Pantene heat protecting spray?? I keep looking for a mid-priced one and can’t seem to find one! I’ve checked both Pricechopper and Target (I live in Albany too).

I absolutely love Head & Shoulders’ Refresh Shampoo. The first time and every time you use it, a cool feeling is on your scalp. The scalp just cools down. It feels good.

Right now, I’m using Head & Shoulders’ Classic Clean Shampoo and Suave conditioner.
    Shannon recently posted..Calling all you writers!

15. Amy says

Being a hairdresser myself I love to switch around brands but I always stick with sulfate free. My favs are Pureology, Sudzz(its the ABSOLUTE best), and Enjoy. I do use a protein leave in by Keune though.

16. Richard Brownx says

I heard that castor oil can get your hair on recovery mode. Is it true?

I mean,I don’t like to use popular hair products because they are artificial,I prefer to use natural choices.
    Richard Brownx recently posted..Honda Oil Change Coupon

17. Mary says

Nothing beats natural remedy, it gives off the compliment and as well as the effect which you long to have and even assures a total free toxic treatment. This is a safe process and as well as effective one.
    Mary recently posted..hair loss products

18. joe says

Try the BioHair Treatment Cleanser and Restoration Formula together. Start with the Cleanser to remove impurities from the scalp, creating an ideal scalp environment for new hair growth. Emu oil has been proven to promote hair growth in studies conducted at Boston University. Together these products will jump start your path to a full, thick head of hair.