One Step Closer

Soooo, do you want to know what the “exciting” thing was that I had going on this morning? Alright, well, the actual thing itself may not be that exciting, but the reason behind it is…

I am now CPR/AED certified and I can officially save your life. WOOOP!

I’d been searching around for the past couple of weeks to find a local course that I could take that wouldn’t cost an arm and a leg. Granted, the course I took through the American Red Cross was still $70.00 (which is way more than I was expecting??) but still better than the $100.00 that I initially thought it was going to cost.

Anyways, the reason this is so exciting is because it also means that I am one step closer to taking to getting my personal training certification! I am definitely well on my way to taking my exam before the end of the year, and I may or may not have gone ahead and scheduled my exam today. Winking smile

*****

After my class was over, I quickly stopped to grab some lunch at Subway before heading to work. I picked up a 6-inch turkey on honey oat (my favorite bread ever from there) and loaded up with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, pickles and sweet onion sauce.

Ummm, okay…since when did Subway get so expensive??

To get a 6-inch sub, a bag of chips (sour cream & onion Baked Lays, btw – YUM) and a soda, it was almost $8.00! If I had known that, I would have just gone down the road to Panera. Yikes?!

*****

After my quick shift at work, I came home, got to work on a small cupcake order I have for tomorrow, and even found time to squeeze in a mini workout. I’m tellin’ you guys…I was on a roll today!

Workout:

• 6 Pack Ab Burn Video (14 mins)
  • 20 mins HIIT (<—I have an awesome new workout for you guys! I’ll share soon because oh man, was it a doozy!)

Post-workout and shower, it was time to get into some cozies, grab a glass of wine (what? You don’t follow up a workout with booze?),

and make some dinner. We had homemade pizza on the menu for tonight!

We used a TJ’s whole wheat crust and topped it with some garlic, marinara sauce, 2% mozzarella, Romano cheese, tomato-basil marinated chicken (sliced and sautéed in a skillet), red & green bell peppers, red onion, and some leftover roasted broccoli, which only got added to my half.

I also sprinkled on some dried basil and oregano which, actually, adds some fantastic flavor and makes me think of my mom’s and my grandma’s homemade pizzas growing up. Now they both made some amazing homemade pizza!

I started out with two slices but quickly went back for a third. I was hungry tonight!

Unfortunately, something was up with the crust tonight and it didn’t rise very much; but besides that, the flavor was fantastic and I am fully satisfied.

Jay and I now plan to spend the rest of our Friday evening doing what we do best: catching up on our DVR, enjoying a beverage, and just relaxing. Nothing sounds better!

Questions for the Evening:

Are you (or have you ever been) certified in CPR?

Are there any recipes you try to recreate but someone else always makes it better?

Comments

I need to get my CPR certification before I take my cPT test, which I wish I could say was scheduled for this year like you! Unfortunately I am way behind! :(

TJ’s whole wheat crust was weird for me too.. It stayed kind of soggy/didn’t rise in the center and wouldn’t cook all the way through. I even tried baking it a few minutes the second time before adding the toppings and baking it more. No dice!
    Jillian @ Sprinkle Massacre recently posted..Friends & Family Opening

I am CPR certified because I am a volunteer EMT in Washington County (just north of you) . I cannot believe you had to pay that much! My husband is a CPR instructor and he only charges $!5 – price of the book and cpr card. And that money goes back to the Rescue Squad as a donation.

Congrats on being one step closer!
    Ashlee recently posted..Feeling Pretty Crafty :)

• Courtney says

It was in the freezer and we took it out around 1:00 this afternoon to defrost on the counter. I would have thought that it would have been plenty of time?

I’ve been certified multiple times – I used to be a lifeguard and I taught swimming lessons. $70??? I seriously don’t remember it being that much. In fact, for some reason, I thought it was free?!?!

I got my CPR cert earlier in the year for school and was SHOCKED at how expensive it was. I still can’t figure out why. The class doesn’t last long.

And sadly, make sure you keep up with the CPR and its principles. I am certified, but I still have a hard time remembering details since it has been over 6 months.
    Lisa @ I’m an Okie recently posted..Losing my Touch

Congrats on getting certified! I took a college CPR certification class that counted as 1 of 4 gym classes we needed to graduate. I had to share the dummy with the GROSSEST boy in the entire college (no joke). The alcohol swab they gave us to clean the dummy before switching just wasn’t enough to make me feel comfortable putting my mouth on it after him. It was so disgusting, I still shudder thinking about it!
    Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Spicy rosemary roasted almonds

• Courtney says

Eeeeeww. I had an incident like that in high school that I remember. Thankfully, now they have barrier shields so you don’t have to worry about it, haha!

6. briana says

as a preschool teacher we have to be certified for cpr and first aid plus epi pen training. It’s every two yrs and we actually take it on a paid work day!

I have never been CPR certified- my sister for babysitting and my mother for work are certified. I think my dad may be too. My brothers, though? I’m not sure. I probably should take a course. It never hurts to- plus, I babysit only one kid. She’s my piano teacher’s daughter and she’s 2 years old in December. She already knows all of the alphabet. If you make an animal sound, she can tell you what it is (not baby talk), and she’s getting there with her numbers. That kid is a GENIUS!

8. Elizabeth says

Congrats! Just wanted to add in that I also had homemade pizza tonight :) Though my dad made it so I didn’t really do much … just added my toppings, corn and ham! So yummy, if you haven’t tried corn on your pizza definitely do so. It’s more of a british thing so it’s not well known here but it’s soooo good.

Congrats on the CPR certification! I have my first aid cert. – I think that’s similar? I’ve tried to bake my Grandma’s banana cake and some of her other goodies a few times, but they never ever taste as good!!

YAY! You better tell me when you scheduled it for. You know I will be rooting you on and help however I can. And your card is so much nicer looking than mine. Probably helps that when I folded mine over to make the card it stuck together too soon and has a HUGE crease/crumple in the center of it. LOL
    Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Announcement

11. Stephan Hilson says

Congratulations for completing your adult cpr/aed course and getting your personal training certification. I agree that $70 is greater and more affordable compared to $100 fee. Your subway sandwich looked very tasty, which I hope I could be able to try the next time I travel to New York. Your homemade pizza is truly amazing especially the brocolli toppings and mozarella. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
    Stephan Hilson recently posted..Comparateur de forfaits mobiles

Congrats on being ONE step closer :) I KNOW you are going to rock your test- it’s only a matter of time.
    & I know, Subway is EXPENSIVE! I would so much rather have Panera too. They used to be so much cheaper. Although you can’t beat the $5 foot long month. :)
    Holly recently posted..Clothes of a Champion

13. Patty says

I’m a CPR instructor through the American Heart Association. The AHA isnt quite as controlling over the classes as American Red Cross. The Red Cross sets the price on the class while the AHA lets the instructor decide whats appropriate. Part of the reason why you see high prices (though $70 is very high) and isn’t usually free is because of the equipment and the instructors. Each mannequin runs $80+ you can only have 3 people per mannequin so you have to have several. There are lungs and mouth pieces that have to be switched out of them regularly which gets costly. Depends on where the class is held if there are rental fees, most instructors are contracted so per hour pay is more, cleaning and set up time…all this adds up. If i teach a class for volunteers then i charge them the amount of the card, pocket mask and book (supplies they keep), if I teach someone who will in turn receive money for having the certification then I charge them for my time but i keep it reasonable.

Major congrats on your CPR cert, Courtney! That is so awesome. Sorry I’m a little
    late in the game. :/ its very exciting though and it will be so cool to ring in 2012 as a personal trainer! I am so happy for this positive change you’ve made in your life. P.S loved your comment about booze after workouts! It’s all about balance, right? 😉
    Laura recently posted..I’ve Gotta Do It

15. Brittany @ Life of a Bama Girl says

$70!? When I was a senior in high school we took a field trip to an ems station and got CPR certified for $10. That has been 5 years ago but still that’s a lot more than I thought it would be. I guess you can’t put a price on being able to save a life though.
    Brittany @ Life of a Bama Girl recently posted..Thanksgiving at The Grand at Point Clear

I know these are old posts but I’m new to your blog.. Yes I’m currently certified in CPR/AED.. I had to get it when I was doing schooling to get my Health and fitness technician degree. Which turns out I couldn’t get anymore funding for and had to take a different route to get into the health and fitness industry. Which will be through NASM soon hopefully very soon!! I will also be getting their Nutrition certification they offer. I’m all about the clean eating foods!! :)