All Bets Are Off

by Courtney on November 25, 2011

Good Morning! Happy Friday! Happy Black Friday! (Did anyone go out shopping? We did not…yet.)

Happy “It’s Officially Okay for Courtney to Start Blaring Christmas Music At All Times” Day!

I was actually really proud of myself this year; with the seemingly early start to celebrating the Christmas season, I have refrained from listening to any music or putting up any decorations. But today? All bets are off!

Unfortunately, the festivities will have to wait for a few hours, since I have to go into work today. Luckily it’s my early day, so I’ll still have plenty of time to get going on my favorite day-after-Thanksgiving traditions.

*****

After the long, busy day of cooking and entertaining I had yesterday (<—did you see how I managed my very first Thanksgiving?), I decided to forego a morning workout in favor of some extra sleep. It was the best decision I had made so far today…that was, until, I made breakfast.

Now, when I say all bets are off for the day after Thanksgiving, that means all bets are off on everything. Like, it’s totally okay to stand and nibble on the leftover cornbread while your breakfast is cooking.

And it’s certainly more than acceptable to stand and stare at the leftover Skinny Pumpkin Pie…and then decide to incorporate it into your breakfast.

See? I told ya…all bets are off today.

I made a quick batch of Pumpkin Buckwheat (minus the chia seeds, which I forgot about) and topped it with a small sliver of pumpkin pie. Talk about great way to use up some leftovers AND be super festive at the same time, right? Winking smile

It was so delicious that it makes me think that I need to have a pumpkin pie in my house at all times just for this reason.

*****

I’m hoping my work day goes by nice and quickly because I’m already getting antsy about getting home to decorate and chow on leftovers…and mayyyybe do a little bit of shopping right after work, too. We’ll see!

Questions for the Morning:

What’s your favorite way to use/eat Thanksgiving leftovers?

Did you/are you doing any Black Friday shopping today?

For my fellow Christmas celebrators: When do you officially start celebrating and embracing the season?

1 Lindsey November 25, 2011 at 10:05 am

Since Canadian Thanksgiving is in October I usually start my Christmas celebrating/decorating mid November :)
Love turkey soup and turkey and cranberry sandwiches – grilled with brie cheese is even better!
Lindsey recently posted..Reminder–Favourite Christmas Things Swap!

2 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 25, 2011 at 10:19 am

I wish I had your enthusiasm for the holidays! Can you come decorate my house too? ;)
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..What we ate Thanksgiving edition

3 Chelcie of Chelcie's Food Files November 25, 2011 at 10:39 am

Pie on top of oatmeal sounds like an amazing idea! except i’m not a huge pumpkin pie fan but I did eat some bites of cold apple crisp for breakfast this morning..and my other favorite way to use leftovers is definitely a turkey sandwich!
Chelcie of Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..Thanksgiving Feast

4 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 25, 2011 at 10:41 am

I LOVE turkey and cranberry sandwiches! I also love pumpkin pie in my oatmeal too. Yummy.

I’m NOT doing any Black Friday shopping today – no way! Last year I did it for the first time, and it was a fun experience, but I don’t need to do it for another couple years.

I start celebrating Christmas TODAY!! :) The Christmas music and decorating will start immediately!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Guest Post: Nutrition Labels

5 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance November 25, 2011 at 10:56 am

Looks like you had a great Thanksgiving, and congrats on pulling off your first Thanksgiving hosting! I’m sure everything tasted glooorrious 8)

Save me some skinny pie? ;)
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Glorious Turkey Day

6 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 25, 2011 at 10:58 am

I’ll be doing a little Black Friday shopping this afternoon! I don’t have anything in particular in mind, but my mom, sister, & I always use this as a day to jump-start our shopping! :-)

I’m probably going to start my Christmas decorating tomorrow!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Happy Thanksgiving

7 Shannon November 25, 2011 at 11:17 am

I love those flowers on your table! They are so pretty. (I know, that was a complete random statement but I just had to say it).

I wasn’t quite sure what your breakfast was at first glance but after reading some more, I see what it is now.

What’s my favorite way to use/eat Thanksgiving leftovers? I’m not sure, to be honest with you. We usually go out to eat on Thanksgiving and then make the turkey dinner on Black Friday. This year, we made the turkey dinner on Thanksgiving and my mom likes staying home rather than going out to eat. Usually, turkey leftovers when reheated tend to be really dry. I’m not sure if I will eat those. Mashed potatoes? Possibly. There is a good chance that I may not eat leftovers at all.

Yes- I went “Black Thursday” shopping; not Black Friday. I went to the East Greenbush WalMart around 8:45 to get in the crowds for the $2 waffle maker. I didn’t get one after pushing through. :( It looked like a hell zone there when at 5 of 10, the WalMart people didn’t care, they just let the shoppers get what they wanted. I’ll have a post up later today with my experience on “Black Friday” shopping.
Shannon recently posted..Thanksgiving Parade

8 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy November 25, 2011 at 11:43 am

I went shopping from 12-3am last night…and I’m so tired today!!! I got some good deals though :).
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Memories LiveOn

9 Cara @ EAT. PRAY. RUN. November 25, 2011 at 11:58 am

I think we are on the same page! My toast had a smear of ‘pumpkin pie’ on it and I used some leftover toasted goat cheese on my eggs. Now i’m happy to be leaving my sister’s house where we celebrated and bring NO leftovers home with me :)
Cara @ EAT. PRAY. RUN. recently posted..The Honest Truth

10 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill November 25, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I normally go shopping every year, but I don’t need anything this year so I instead watch the Ravens and slept!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..On Strike for Thanksgiving

11 Khushboo November 25, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Ross Geller’s leftover turkey sandwich springs to mind :)
Khushboo recently posted..Attitude of Gratitude

12 Tara Burner November 25, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I was home alone this year
always get envious of people who have normal families!
then again that’s why I’m 1200 miles south of mine…they’re not normal…
my teen was out of town so I worked and chilled w/the dog & turtle all day
was actually pleasantly peaceful :)
Tara Burner recently posted..Fitspo Friday – Suzanne a/k/a Workout Nirvana

13 Courtney November 26, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Well I’m glad you still had a relaxing day though! :)