Dress Hits and Misses

by Courtney on November 25, 2011

So you guys may remember earlier this week that I had briefly mentioned meeting up with my girls to take care of some bridesmaids duties? Well, we actually headed out to pick out some bridesmaids dresses!

The four of us tried on lots and lots of bridesmaids dresses that night. Rachel decided that we’re all going to be wearing the same color, but that we could each pick out our own style of dress. I actually really love the look of that in a bridal party, which is exactly what my friend Joelle did for her wedding last October.

Well, we all lucked out in the sense that we each found a found a dress that we liked, in the same fabric, with nobody doing any sort of fighting over who got what. We’re pretty awesome like that. Well, the sales lady ended up suggesting a dress to try out that she told us had *just* been delivered to the store. It was a beautiful, short-length,  satin cowl neck with ruching around the mid-section. I ended up falling in love with that dress and decided to go with it (I’d show you a picture, but it’s not even on their website yet). The sales woman took our measurements, our style numbers, and whatever else she needed and then we went up to pay. Everything was fine and dandy UNTIL…I was told that my chosen dress does not come in the color that Rachel has chosen for her wedding. UGHH!

Honestly, I was a little peeved by the fact that the sales woman already knew the color that we were looking for, yet she still suggested this dress. Sort of like how you don’t show a bride a wedding gown out of her price range, right? Ok, well maybe not that big of a deal, but still.

So, now I’m stuck back at square one and trying to decide on a new dress. Right now, I’m going between these:

One Shoulder Satin Dress                                  Shantung Off-the-Shoulder Dress

What do you guys think? I’m trying to avoid strapless because, well, I don’t have a whole lot on top to keep things held up, if ya know what I’m sayin’. ;)

*****

While I was in the store, I also happened to take some time to check out some of their Special Occasion dresses. Honestly, they had some really gorgeous stuff! Jay and I have a wedding to go to in mid-December (holla, Meg!) so I’ve been debating on whether or not I want to get myself something new to wear. I have my eye on four different ones…

One Shoulder Charmeuse Cocktail Dress       One Shoulder All Over Sequin Dress

One Shoulder Satin Party Dress                    Draped One Sleeve Ombre Jersey Dress

Apparently I’m all about the one shoulder look right now, huh?

Anyways, I need some opinions. I’m horrible at making decisions, so I’d love to hear what you guys think of these! Are any of them winners? I have a gift certificate that I can use, so if I can actually decide on one, I’m probably going to go for it. Help!

Questions for the Afternoon:

If you’re married: What kind of dresses did your bridesmaids wear?

If you’re not married: Any thoughts on what kind of style dress you think you’d like your bridesmaids to wear?

I wrote this review while participating in a campaign by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of David’s Bridal and received a gift certificate to facilitate my review.

1 Emily November 25, 2011 at 3:04 pm

loveee the one shoulder bridesmaid’s dress! I think it will look really flattering on you too :) I would have been super annoyed at the sales woman too!

I like the dress with the flower on the shoulder! I think it will be the most versatile because you could wear it in the summer/spring too if you need to because there isn’t a long sleeve on it.
Emily recently posted..things I know at age 22

2 Gillian November 25, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Definitely the one shoulder satin for bridesmaids dress + one shoulder charmeuse for wedding!
Gillian recently posted..while i’m gone

3 Karla November 25, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I love the one shoulder for the bridesmaids dress! It is gorgeous, simple & elegant. As far as for the wedding I’m a big fan of all of them but my favorite has to be the all over sequin one. It’s fun, flirty & can be worn for another cocktail party :)
Karla recently posted..Rambling about Running

4 Diana November 25, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I like the one shoulder bridesmaids dress! So cute! I think it’s so great to let bridesmaids choose their own style – everyone’s body types are so different that finding one dress that suits everyone is so unlikely! And bridesmaids deserve to look beautiful at a wedding, too!
Diana recently posted..Thanksgiving: You Just Can’t Escape It

5 J @ ... semplicemente j ... November 25, 2011 at 3:15 pm

One shoulder satin dress … bridesmaid dress …
For the wedding the all over sequin dress if appropriate for the occasion/venue.

6 Kim T November 25, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Definitely the one shoulder satin for the bridesmaid…
And I LOVE the One Shoulder All Over Sequin Dress!!!

7 Sarah November 25, 2011 at 3:46 pm

i personally love the off the shoulder one. I never like the look of a one shoulder dress, im not sure why :)

8 Traci November 25, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Dress shopping is always so much fun. I say the one shoulder one for your bridesmaid dress. And I’d have to say go with either the charmeuse or ombre for the wedding!

9 Nadya November 25, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I love the one shoulder satin for the bridesmaid dress, and the one shoulder charmeuse for the wedding :)

10 Heather T November 25, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I like the one shoulder bridesmaid dress!

11 Michelle November 25, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Love the one-shoulder bridesmaid dress! I’ve been wishing I had a reason to buy a dress lately so I could get one :-) And I like the “One Shoulder Charmeuse Cocktail Dress” the best for the other one.

12 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun November 25, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Dang it! I got offered to be part of that review and declined because I didn’t think I would need it for anything. Um, hello?? DUH! I have a formal New Years Eve wedding to attend this year. Kicking myself right now.
Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun recently posted..Announcement Time

13 Pamela November 25, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I like the one shoulder satin for the bridesmaid dress. I also LOVE the one shoulder sequin dress. That would be great for a wedding or even a NYE party! :)
Pamela recently posted..Favorite Holiday Appetizer

14 Maria@La_Piattini November 25, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Ugh that stinks they didn’t have your color. I agree the saleswoman should’ve told you!
For the bridesmaids dress I really like the one shoulder satin dress- very pretty! For the wedding, the sequin dress gets my vote! I just bought a sequin dress at Express today- love it!
Maria@La_Piattini recently posted..An Italian Thanksgiving

15 Katie November 25, 2011 at 4:47 pm

For my wedding in May 2008 I had my girls in floor-length chocolate brown dresses, and beyond that they each chose their own style. I LOVED the way it all came together, and I loved that they each got to wear a dress that they were comfortable in. For you, I vote for the one-shoulder bridesmaid dress and the black sequin party dress! Good luck ;)
Katie recently posted..From Pumpkin to Puree, and Beyond!

16 Lindsey November 25, 2011 at 4:54 pm

My BM’s all worse the same dress – which I was surprised since they really in height and size, but we were lucky and they all loved the dress me and the Maid of Honor picked out. The were above the knee, strapless chocolate brown dressed with a ivory sash.
PS – Love the one shoulder dress!
Lindsey recently posted..Foodie Friday

17 Amanda @ Let Me Be Whats Underneath November 25, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Love the one shoulder for the bridemaid dress and the one shoulder satin party dress!

18 Allison November 25, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Love the one shoulder bridesmaid dress and the black sequin dress for the wedding your going to! It could also double as a new years eve dress another year!

19 Jordan K. November 25, 2011 at 5:24 pm

I love the sequin dress! I’d love to a wear it to a party this winter for sure!

20 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill November 25, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Definitely go with the one-shoulder dress!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..On Strike for Thanksgiving

21 Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters November 25, 2011 at 5:30 pm

crazy…. just went bridesmaid dress shopping today for my friend megan! we found “the one” but now i hear it was discontinued in the peach color the bride wants! erg.

re: special occasion dresses… go with the one shoulder all over sequin dress!
Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters recently posted..Silicon Valley Turkey Trot 10K 2011

22 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 25, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I really like both of your bridesmaids dress options… I think #1 would look great!

All of the NYE dress options are really cute, too!

I just got married in August & my bridesmaids wore short dresses that had a ruffly collar & they were dark purple. I had bridesmaids ages 25-36, so I wanted something that would look good on everyone!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Happy Thanksgiving

23 Mallory @ It's Only Life November 25, 2011 at 5:39 pm

i think the one shoulder one is more “you” (said as if i actually know you)… but just from seeing what other types of clothing you wear on your blog. i think it’s so cute!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Thanksgiving

24 erica November 25, 2011 at 6:21 pm

i love the one shoulder bridesmaid dress! and i love the one shoulder sequin all over dress for a special occasion dress!

i just got married in september and my bridesmaids wore a one-shoulder one of a kind (well, a 5-of-a-kind) dress designed and made by my maid of honor. (she has a line on etsy called jewel numkki).
erica recently posted..happy thanksgiving!

25 Carly November 25, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I LOVE the one shoulder satin dress (the first blue one that you posted)!! Looks very flattering

26 Amanda November 25, 2011 at 6:43 pm

I’m a little biased because I’m a huge fan of one-shoulder. With that said, I vote for the light blue one you first posted! And you want to wear it again too right? Seems that you’re also a fan with the other ones you posted after.. :)

27 Katelyn@ Foodie Goes to School November 25, 2011 at 6:53 pm

one shoulder satin for the bridesmaid for SURE. as for the wedding? i love the sequiny one. since it’s mid- December it’ll be very appropriate and new yearsy!
Katelyn@ Foodie Goes to School recently posted..“I love nuts. I love chocolate. I love love.”

28 Danielle November 25, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I am getting married in 2 WEEKS!!! My bridesmaids are wearing one shoulder long dresses(I anticipated it being much colder) latte color and they are beautiful!!!! So excited!!!!!!!

29 Courtney November 26, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Ahhhh I had no idea it was so close!! I know it’ll be beautiful, Danielle! :)

30 Amanda @ Semi-Health Nut November 25, 2011 at 7:04 pm

I like the one shoulder satin one! And it seems fitting since you are into the one shoulder look!

Strapless dresses (the bridal party kind) really aren’t that bad. Take it from the girl who knows what it’s like to be lacking on top… ;-) I had mine tailored for the wedding I was in in June and I never felt like it was falling down! :-)

I was super surprised and have always thought I would even have my wedding dress WITH straps but now I’m thinking differently.

(Dress pics here: http://semihealthnut.blogspot.com/2011/06/busy-weekend-and-back-to-work.html)

Good luck choosing!! Good thing you don’t have to pick the color huh? ;-)
Amanda @ Semi-Health Nut recently posted..Work that Turkey Off!! 3-2-1 Treadmill Routine {3 mile}

31 Katie November 25, 2011 at 7:07 pm

We just got married in July! My bridesmaids were scattered all across the country, so we used David’s Bridal for price and for convenience. I gave them the color (brown) and the length (short) and let them go from there. My five bridesmaids picked a total of three different styles, and they all loved the dresses (or at least so they told me!) and loved having the option of choosing a style.

I love both the dresses you have picked out, but I’m not a huge fan of the one shoulder, so I’ll give the unpopular opinion of liking the off-the-shoulder one. What an exciting time!
Katie recently posted..Thanksgiving break–almost!

32 Shana November 25, 2011 at 7:16 pm

The one shoulder satin bridesmaids dress would be stunning on you! I gave my bridesmaids colors and let them pick whatever they wanted to wear. My sister was still nursing (twins!) at the time and I wanted her to be comfortable. I think both bridesmaids appreciated being able to pick out what they wanted to wear.
Shana recently posted..The Craft

33 Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 25, 2011 at 7:23 pm

You can see my bridesmaids’ dresses on this post: http://notsodomesticated.com/the-big-day/

The dresses were knee-length and bright red (it was a Christmas wedding) and they were kind of a halter-top with ruffles. Sounds weird but they were cute hahaha … just check out the pictures so you see I’m not crazy. ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Thanks-mas Festivities

34 Katie November 25, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I love your bridesmaid dresses ~ actually, your whole wedding was beautiful! And you were a simply stunning bride.
Katie recently posted..From Pumpkin to Puree, and Beyond!

35 Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 26, 2011 at 9:03 am

Thank you so much, Katie!! You made my day! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Thanks-mas Festivities

36 Courtney November 26, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I completely agree! Absolutely beautiful, Kristen! :)

37 Mindy L November 25, 2011 at 10:25 pm

The one shoulder bridesmaid dress definitely looks like it would suit your body better. I love the flowy sleeve one shoulder dress for special occasion wear,also. Good luck! No matter what you choose they will all look great.

38 Jessica @ The Process of Healing November 25, 2011 at 10:35 pm

I LOVE the sparkly black off the shoulder one!!!

39 Shannon November 25, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I am not married- I’m just a teenager! I’m a very Plain Jane type of person. I feel extremely funny when skin shows on me; I wear pants & long sleeve shirts whenever it’s cold but I don’t mind wearing short sleeve shirts and capris. Most of the time, I HATE wearing dresses. Plus, I’m the type of person who gets cold at an extremely fast rate so it helps to stay covered. :)

My type of bridesmaid dress would be exactly like the Shauntug off-the shoulder dress (maybe that actual color too).
Shannon recently posted..Black Friday shopping update

40 Amanda @ Maggiano Takes Austin November 25, 2011 at 11:34 pm

ooooh! looks like the first two dresses are at the top of everyone’s list!! i have to say i agree with most voters that the first one is a little dressy where you may not be able to wear it again in the future, whereas the sequin dress will be useful for you if you decide to go downtown on a special occasion or for new years! great picks girlie!!
Amanda @ Maggiano Takes Austin recently posted..What I’m Thankful For

41 Khushboo November 25, 2011 at 11:49 pm

LOVE the one shoulder sequin dress- would be perfect for New Years Eve!
Khushboo recently posted..Attitude of Gratitude

42 Katie @ Plates and Paste November 26, 2011 at 12:21 am

I like the one shoulder!

43 Ashlee November 26, 2011 at 6:15 am

I like the all over Sequin Dress. :)

My bridesmaids wore a short chiffon type dress. I wanted them to be comfortable and they all loved their dresses.

44 Steph @ StephSnacks November 26, 2011 at 7:55 am

I personally like the one shoulder dress! :)
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Welcome Committee

45 Jessi November 26, 2011 at 9:50 am

Love the one shoulder satin bridesmaids dress, and LOVE LOVE the black sequin dress for the other wedding!!

46 Suzy November 26, 2011 at 10:44 am

Omgosh, these dresses are SO cute! I really like this one the best: One Shoulder Satin Dress with Pleated Bodice. They all are super cute.
Suzy recently posted..Testing

47 Abby November 26, 2011 at 11:28 am

For this wedding I think you should go with the longer red dress, and for the December wedding go with the 1 shoulder cocktail dress (the first one).

48 Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean November 26, 2011 at 1:38 pm

i love the first three, but the sequin one would be especially fun for the holiday season! the satin one is my second choice! you would ROCK any of them though!
Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean recently posted..Happy Thanksgiving

49 Meg November 26, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Yessssss!! : )

Also, I like the One Shoulder Satin Party Dress best. Beautiful color!!

50 Courtney November 26, 2011 at 4:50 pm
51 Michelle@Peachy Palate November 27, 2011 at 3:27 pm

One shoulder satin party dress definitely! :)
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Eggplant and Zucchini Bean Bake

52 Amy November 27, 2011 at 5:51 pm

My little sister is getting married in January (eek!) and the three bridesmaids (including me :) ) are having our dresses made by the same lady who is making my sister’s wedding dress. It was really great because we could all be assured the same colour even though we are going for different styles!
Because we were involved in the process and got to choose dress designs that suit us I know that I will wear my dress again! Oh, and it’s one shouldered too :)
Amy recently posted..Making your own luck: my best recipe ever

53 Courtney November 27, 2011 at 7:32 pm

That sounds awesome! I’m sure they’re all going to be beautiful :)

54 Crystal Coppel November 28, 2011 at 11:37 am

I love the one shoulder satin party dress! Would be perfect for a wedding! What color are you thinking of getting it in??

55 Courtney November 28, 2011 at 11:59 am

That’s actually the only color it comes in, so it’d be that one! :)

56 Amy December 1, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I prefer the One Shoulder Charmeuse Cocktail Dress. Very nice color and sexy.

57 Tommy January 28, 2013 at 7:08 pm

I quite like reading a post that will make people think.
Also, thanks for permitting me to comment!
Tommy recently posted..Tommy

58 Carina July 7, 2013 at 9:50 am

Hello! This is the fourth time visiting now and I really just wanted to say I truley fancy looking through your
web site. I’ve decided to bookmark it at reddit.com with your title: David
Carina recently posted..Carina

59 business photos July 13, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Heya are using Wordpress for your blog platform? I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get
started and set up my own. Do you require any html coding expertise to
make your own blog? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
business photos recently posted..business photos

60 http://nervousauger2814.jimdo.com July 29, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Searching stumbleupon.com I noticed your website book-marked as: David
http://nervousauger2814.jimdo.com recently posted..http://nervousauger2814.jimdo.com

61 http://xn--kxadbjpsnyt5a.com/index.php/Why_Do_People_Need_Automatic_Washing_Machine July 31, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.

You clearly know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your weblog when
you could be giving us something enlightening to read?
http://xn--kxadbjpsnyt5a.com/index.php/Why_Do_People_Need_Automatic_Washing_Machine recently posted..http://xn--kxadbjpsnyt5a.com/index.php/Why_Do_People_Need_Automatic_Washing_Machine

62 bankruptcy attorney... August 7, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Great blog right here! Also your website a lot up fast!
What web host are you using? Can I get your affiliate link in
your host? I wish my website loaded up as quickly as yours lol
bankruptcy attorney… recently posted..bankruptcy attorney…

63 fake credit card numbers that work August 9, 2013 at 1:15 am

Wow, incredible blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?

you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your site is
fantastic, as well as the content!
fake credit card numbers that work recently posted..fake credit card numbers that work

64 Dwayne October 22, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I don’t even understand how I finished up here, however I believed this submit was once
good. I don’t know who you’re however definitely
you are going to a famous blogger when you are not already.

Cheers!