Using Up Thanksgiving Leftovers

by Courtney on November 27, 2011

Good news!

Round 2 of Christmas tree decorating was a success

Mid-afternoon, I finally got the motivation to get to work on finishing up the tree. It doesn’t look a whole lot different from the first one, but at least its got all of its lights working. Wooo Hooo!

I also finished up putting up the rest of the Christmas decorations which came together quite nicely.

IMG_0245IMG_0246

Yesterday afternoon while Jay and I were out shopping, I also made a quick pit-stop at Yankee Candle. I had a coupon for Buy 2, Get 2 free on large jar candles, which was an opportunity I could not pass up. I actually split the deal with my mom so she got two, and I got two.

In addition to this White Christmas scent, I also got the Cherries on Snow scent; both of which I am now currently obsessed with.

I just love Christmas decorations. Smile

IMG_0247IMG_0255

Dinner

Ooooo boy, was tonight’s dinner yummy, thanks to some leftovers. If I’m not making this sandwich, one of my favorite ways to use up Thanksgiving turkey leftovers is with my Turkey & Veggie Soup.

Not only is the recipe beyond easy, but it’s just so incredibly flavorful, delicious, and healthy. You can’t beat it!

On the side we had some homemade bread, which I cooked up earlier today in the bread machine. It wasn’t one of my best batches looks-wise, but it still tasted pretty good.

Hey, we’ve definitely seen worse, haven’t we? Winking smile

Now, I’m thinking that a leftover piece of cheesecake and some couch time is the perfect way to end another great weekend.

Hopefully yours was just as great!

Questions for the Evening:

What are some of your favorite ways to use up Thanksgiving leftovers? If you have a recipe, feel free to link up!

What are your favorite scented candles?

1 Kathryn November 27, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I enjoy making a sandwich/wrap using turkey and cranberry sauce. The rest of the leftovers I eat like usual.
Kathryn recently posted..Thanksgiving Wrap Up

2 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 27, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I love using cranberries on top of my oatmeal in the morning. It’s so good!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..enjoy every bite

3 Courtney November 27, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I need to do that! Maybe tomorrow… :)

4 Brittany November 27, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Your Christmas tree looks so pretty. We got ours this weekend but haven’t decorated yet! I’m excited to decorate this week!

5 Amanda @ Let Me Be Whats Underneath November 27, 2011 at 7:26 pm

I love the candles by Slatkin & Co. from Bath and Body Works. All of their holiday scents right now are to die for!
Amanda @ Let Me Be Whats Underneath recently posted..Quotable Sunday

6 Kerry @ Half Healthy, Half Nuts November 27, 2011 at 7:27 pm

My favorite holiday scent is Sparkling Snow from Yankee Candle. It’s a little pine tree-ish and so wonderful!! Totally gets me into the spirit!
Kerry @ Half Healthy, Half Nuts recently posted..Ambitious Week Ahead

7 Sana November 27, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Your house looks and smells lovely I am sure!

8 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn November 27, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Ah. It’s okay girl, at least you have fresh bread and decorations! ;)
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..This is Thanksgiving Healthy Living, Betches.

9 Silvia @ skinny jeans food November 27, 2011 at 7:49 pm

this soup looks SOO GOOD! Make me want to cook it immediately!
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Winter holiday vegan saute

10 Kat @ Balance & Spice November 27, 2011 at 7:49 pm

I love making a big Thanksgiving Salad. Somehow, even though it has the same unhealthy aspects of a Thanksgiving feast, somehow, if it’s over lettuce, it makes it all ok and calorie free. ;-)
Kat @ Balance & Spice recently posted..Pour Me Another One

11 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill November 27, 2011 at 7:56 pm

I have a blueberry scone candle which smells fantastic!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..On Strike for Thanksgiving

12 Pamela November 27, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Your tree looks great!! I recently bought the “North Pole” at Yankee Candle, and I’ll probably go back for more at the outlet store this week! :) I love holiday candles this time of the year!!
Pamela recently posted..Favorite Holiday Appetizer

13 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries November 27, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Your soup looks so yummy! I love leftover Turkey and cranberry sauce sandwiches. Oh and your christmas decorations are so pretty!

14 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 27, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Your Christmas decorations look great!

I love Yankee Candles — I’m actually going to be making a stop there tomorrow!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Odds & Ends

15 Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life November 27, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I am obsessed with pine candles in the winter time. They smell so great and I love having our whole house smell like a Christmas tree! :)

We didn’t make anything with our leftovers. I think my husband is finishing up the turkey tonight for dinner and the rest will probably end up in the trash. We are both a little tired of eating Thanksgiving food right now.
Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life recently posted..Thanksgiving Recap

16 Juju @ Get Fit with Juju November 27, 2011 at 8:27 pm

I love your christmas tree and decorations! Good thing you didn’t give up! =] This year, being that I’ll be in Hong Kong for most of December ( 12/7-12/24), hubby and I decided not to put up the tree this year~ …
I’m totally making the soup, with the roast pork I have leftover! Yay! Thanks for sharing =]
Juju @ Get Fit with Juju recently posted..Baking Away~ Foodbuzz Tastemakers

17 Stephanie @ StephSnacks November 27, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I love the balsam scented candles! Reminds me of Christmas.
Stephanie @ StephSnacks recently posted..A Cape Cod Thanksgiving

18 Shannon November 27, 2011 at 9:40 pm

I love Christmas decorations too! They’re always so festive and cute.

Ooooooooooooooohhh, that soup looks good. I’ll have to print the recipe and make it soon. Tomorrow’s dinner is a new recipe: Roasted Red Pepper Bisque. Yummmmmmmmmmmmm! :) What my family usually does with Thanksgiving leftovers are Hot Turkey Sandwiches. This year with our leftover mashed potatoes, my mom made potato pancakes- and I absolutely love them! I kind of want one right about now. Too bad they’re all gone. They were a big hit yesterday.

My favorite scented candles are Buttercream, Macintosh, and Vanilla Cupcake (I think) all from Yankee Candle. The original owners of Yankee Candle started a candle company called Kringle Candle Company before Yankee Candle. You should Google it. It’s 15 miles north of South Deerfield and all of the candles are white…with different scents! It’s pretty neat. My mom & sister went and loved it there; the candles, I think, smell just as good. The Rosemary one…..mmmmmmmmmmmmmm! I could sniff that thing all day long! :)
Shannon recently posted..Black Friday shopping update

19 Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters November 27, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Don’t you wish Christmas decorations could stay up forever?

Our mom made thanksgiving leftover tacos, and Nicole blogged about it here: http://sugarcoatedsisters.com/2011/11/26/what-to-do-with-thanksgiving-leftovers/

I also think a hash would be good….

too bad all of our leftovers are long gone already :(
Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters recently posted..Thirty Thanksgiving Things

20 Lisa at Dishes of Mrs. Fish November 27, 2011 at 10:26 pm

We made turkey cranchiladas this year, which were enchiladas with turkey and a spicy cranberry sauce. They were delicious!

I just love how cozy houses look with their Christmas decorations, I wish they could stay up all year!
Lisa at Dishes of Mrs. Fish recently posted..Cozy Sunday

21 Marty November 27, 2011 at 11:40 pm

My Thanksgiving leftovers weren’t quite as creative as yours. I used a homemade biscuit and put a slice of turkey, a slather of my homemade cranberry sauce, and some spinach leaves. Love the sweet and savory combination.
Marty recently posted..My 1st Libby’s Pumpkin Roll Cake

22 Julie November 27, 2011 at 11:43 pm

your Christmas decorations look great! i love the garland and bows on the mirror. how did you get it to stick? i have a similar mirror and would love to try that. i’ve definitely used Pinterest for other fun Christmas crafts :)

23 Jessica @ The Process of Healing November 27, 2011 at 11:56 pm

I always look so forward to putting up Christmas decorations! It’s definitely the one thing that puts me in the holiday mood!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..A New Life

24 Khushboo November 28, 2011 at 1:18 am

As yum as this soup look, I think the best use of leftovers I have seen is your pie as an oatmeal topping- genius much!!
Khushboo recently posted..A delicious marriage

25 MizFit November 28, 2011 at 6:35 am

I left the leftovers at my sisters house….and then I really regretted leaving the leftovers at my sisters house :)
MizFit recently posted..Personal First Aid Kit (AKA the return of the cowboy hat).

26 Clare @ SweetnSimple November 28, 2011 at 7:16 am

That soup looks soo good.. yum I love turkey! My favourite scented candle right now is kiwi & waterlily, it’s gorgeous :)

27 Hope November 28, 2011 at 8:17 am

I have a ton of Thanksgiving leftovers at my house as well especially turkey. I’ve been trying to figure out what to do with all of it. I’m hoping to freeze some because I am getting sick of leftovers. That turkey soup looks fabulous :)

My favorite candles are pumpkin, and cake scented candles. Although as of lately, I’ve been really obsessed with the Leaves scented candle from Bath & Body Works. It smells heavenly.
Hope recently posted..Sleepless in Philadelphia…

28 Camilla November 28, 2011 at 7:58 pm

love it- so festive!!! i love the holiday scent called “winter” at bath and body work- it’s so cozy :) enjoy your night!

29 Laura @ Unchartered 20s December 1, 2011 at 2:23 pm

OMG where did you GET such a coupon!! Those things are so expensive but i love them! :)
Laura @ Unchartered 20s recently posted..Bacon Times