Mnemonics Are My Friend

by Courtney on November 30, 2011

Good morning! Is it seriously already Wednesday? I don’t know about you, but I feel like this week is flying by!

So last night, my brain was sort of fried and I really just didn’t have a whole lot to chat about, hence the lack of postage. As soon as I got home from work, I ended up getting pretty engrossed in my studying again, so that’s where I had to put all my energy. Priorities, my friends!

Cody, on the other hand, did not seem to appreciate my studying and was in need of some major attention. Do you think he was purposely trying to lay all over my study materials or what?

A good portion of my study time yesterday was spent going over all of the different muscle groups again. This has been one of the toughest areas for me to remember, so thanks to one of the massage therapists at work, I’ve begun attempting to come up with mnemonic devices to try and help me through (what can I say, must be the former teacher in me). For example:

The Rotator Cuff Musculature = S.I.T.T.S

• Supraspinatus
  • Infraspinatus
  • Teres Minor
  • Teres Major
  • Subscapularis

The Lower Leg Musculature = G.A.S.P.P

• Gastrocnemius
  • Anterior Tibialis
  • Soleus
  • Posterior Tibialis
  • Peroneus Longus

If anyone else happens to have any other awesome mnemonic devices for me, please…I’m all ears!

Amongst studying last night, some dinner was involved. Yesterday was the day to clear out all of the Thanksgiving leftovers, so I threw some away (so sad) and Jay and I took care of eating some of the rest.

We both finished up the rest of the brown butter mashed potatoes and applesauce.

And I had another big bowl of Turkey & Veggie Soup.

Delicious!

*****

I deemed today a rest day from exercise (I’m now aiming for 2 rest days per week), so I thoroughly enjoyed a little extra sleep this morning before getting up and getting ready for the long day ahead of me.

For the past couple of days, I’ve been making a valiant effort to not stuff my face with sweets immediately after dinner, so my hunger levels come breakfast time have been much higher. Makes sense, obviously, so today’s breakfast was more than welcomed.

It’s been a while since we’ve done the PB & B English muffin, hasn’t it? Wooo-weee did I miss it!

I whipped up a quick pumpkin + peanut butter topping and loaded it onto a honey wheat English muffin, along with some banana slices, cinnamon, and a drizzle of honey. I also had the rest of the ‘naner on the side.

A nice change of pace, indeed!

I’ve got a quick conference call this morning and then it’s off to a long day of work. I’ll catch ya’ll later!

Questions for the Morning:

Do you ever use mnemonic devices to remember certain things?

Do you still have any Thanksgiving leftovers left?

What’s the best breakfast you’ve had so far this week?

1 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat November 30, 2011 at 8:56 am

My best breakfast was my leftover carrot souffle mixed into my oats – sweet, savory, and a nice change from pumpkin – even though I still love it! I’m jealous that you think this week is going quickly… it’s dragging for me.
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..WIAW – Florence (Day One)

2 Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 30, 2011 at 8:59 am

I totally love using mnemonics to study!! I definitely used those while studying Anatomy and Physiology classes in college-came in handy when you have to know every single muscle group in the body and be able to identify them on a cadaver!!! Hah.

I agree–less food after dinner makes me WAY more excited for food in the a.m.! Yours looks awesome!

3 Hope November 30, 2011 at 9:00 am

I finally got rid of my Thanksgiving leftovers on Monday night. I had gotten sick of them already. You can only eat so much turkey. ;)

The best breakfast I had so far this week was a pumpkin bagel with grape jelly. Yummy.
Hope recently posted..Wedding Talk Wednesday: Let’s Talk Hors D’oeuvres…

4 Courtney November 30, 2011 at 9:34 am

Aww that makes me think of the cream cheese and grape jelly sandwiches my grandma always used to make for me. So good…so many memories!

5 Faith @ For the Health of It November 30, 2011 at 9:01 am

I still have mashed sweet potatoes from T-giving, but I’m hoping to have those gone by tonight!
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..31 Mile December

6 Megan November 30, 2011 at 9:07 am

Do you have to know the cranial nerves? I have an excellent mnenomic for that one. And cody is not alone, I think its just a cat thing, my cats alwaysss lay on papers, computers, anything that you are currently trying to work on.

7 Courtney November 30, 2011 at 9:33 am

No, we don’t have to know those, but I think I did actually come across a mnemonic online for those, haha!

8 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 30, 2011 at 9:09 am

Mnemonics have always helped me memorize stuff too! Great idea to do that! I rarely use them now, but when I was in school and studying all the time, they definitely came to good use.

We don’t have any Thanksgiving leftovers because we went out of town for Thanksgiving. I WISH we did though! I’d die for a turkey & cranberry sandwich and some stuffing right now! ;)

The best breakfast I’ve had this week… hmm it’s so hard to choose considering I love pretty much all breakfast foods! I had a bowl of peanut butter Puffins this morning with a sliced banana, vanilla soymilk, and a drizzle of more peanut butter. Talk about a delicious PB breakfast! ;)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW {What I Ate Wednesday} #10: New Food Faves

9 Courtney November 30, 2011 at 9:33 am

That does sound peanut-buttery and delicious. Yum!!

10 Lindsey November 30, 2011 at 9:10 am

In school I used mnemonics all the time, they helped me a lot.
I am having a pumpkin smoothie in a bowl right now, its so good. I had to use up pumpkin from making your pumpkin black bean soup the other night!
Lindsey recently posted..Christmas Card Photos

11 Courtney November 30, 2011 at 9:33 am

YAY!! :)

12 Care @HealthierGirl November 30, 2011 at 9:12 am

Today will be our last day of leftovers left to get through (and, I think it is only a tiny bit of turkey left). Funny how the desserts were gone within a day and the Turkey lasted so much longer. :)
Care @HealthierGirl recently posted..Photoshop & Insecurities

13 Courtney November 30, 2011 at 9:32 am

Haha, I know what you mean! HOWEVER – I did end up having to throw away half of my pumpkin pie. I went to have a piece yesterday and it had MOLD on it. Booooo :(

14 Katie November 30, 2011 at 9:18 am

I have to say, I’m not always the hugest fan of cats, but I love the pictures you’re always posting of Cody ~ he’s so stinkin’ cute! Also, your breakfast choice is one of my very faves, but it’s usually a lunch selection over here!
Katie recently posted..Christmas and Coffee Shops

15 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life November 30, 2011 at 9:24 am

Mnemonic devices are what’s going to get me through my Regulation and Legislation final because my professor wants us to remember the names of all the judges who wrote the majority and dissenting decisions. I seriously think he’s doing it just to torture us, but we are all making up mnemonics to try to remember!

We threw out the last of our leftovers yesterday. At this point, they were just taking up room in the fridge because no one was going to eat them.

16 Steph November 30, 2011 at 9:33 am

As a 2nd year med student I can’t even begin to tell you how much I love and depend on mnemonics.

Although I must admit that I tend to remember the ones I make up myself (the funnier the better), there is a great website called medical mnemonics that has some gems:

17 Courtney November 30, 2011 at 9:36 am

WOW! Thanks so much for this!!

18 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! November 30, 2011 at 9:51 am

When I first learned to play the piano and learned to read music you use them like crazy (Every Good Boy Does Fine!) for the notes :) I still have to use them sometimes. I remember using them for the order of the planets when learning about the solar system in school! I think it is a good tool!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..“I’m With Stupid”

19 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 30, 2011 at 9:58 am

Best breakfast was a pumpkin smoothie in a bowl yesterday (the toppings really made it though.) I finished all the thanksgiving leftovers yesterday for lunch. Piled them all in a wrap and ate them up! Wish I had some of those mashed potatoes though, they look good!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..What I ate Wednesday: the hectic edition

20 Courtney November 30, 2011 at 9:59 am

For the “erect”or spinae muscle group–Illiocostalis, longissimus and spinalis, remember the mnemonic “I Love Sex” ;)
Courtney recently posted..Bona fide

21 Courtney December 1, 2011 at 11:25 am

BAHAHAHA

22 Ruthie Hart November 30, 2011 at 9:59 am

wow you are having to learn a lot! I cannot imagine having to do that!! When is your big test girl? You have been so dedicated, you will do great!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..Lauren Darlings Giveaway!!!!

23 Courtney December 1, 2011 at 11:25 am

It’s soon! ;)

24 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles November 30, 2011 at 10:06 am

Those are good mnemonic devices! Lifesavers right there! ….My cats are always very vocal about when they think they are neglected, laying on my work or meowing their little heads off as I cook or clean. Poor, poor, spoild cats :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Blessings <3

25 Kathryn November 30, 2011 at 10:07 am

When I was in middle school, we had to learn the major bones of the body. When we were learning the lower half, I made up a little story. Something along the lines of “Uncle, can you tell me Femur stories? Why don’t you have your Patella story? Well Tibia, I’m not going to Fibula, it’s a story about a Tarsal. I’ve never Metatarsal who didn’t like phalanges” Yeah, I was in 8th grade, but I still remember it to this day! Lol.

Yesterday, I had the best breakfast all week. I had a Granny Smith apple dipped in some strawberry Cho. YUMMY!
Kathryn recently posted..Christmas Elf

26 Tina November 30, 2011 at 10:36 am

I have problems with eating a night. I’m wondering if you have any tips that help you not to give in?
Tina recently posted..Feeling a little hopeless

27 Courtney December 1, 2011 at 11:24 am

Hmmm, that’s a good question! I may have to work something up about that…thanks for the idea, Tina!

28 Brigitt November 30, 2011 at 10:40 am

I always use mnemonics to study–it has really helped lately with all these diagrams I’m learning in culinary school. I tend to remember the silly ones better, but I have to be careful not to make myself laugh during the tests. :)
Brigitt recently posted..30 Minute Treadmill Workout

29 Lena @Fit on the Rocks November 30, 2011 at 10:40 am

Mnemonic devices are a life saver at times! Unfortunately, I don’t have any for muscle groups, but good luck! I eat oatmeal with almond butter and chia seeds every single day at work, so that’s about as interesting as it got this week lol.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..25 Years Later

30 Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life November 30, 2011 at 10:50 am

Brown Butter Mashed Potatoes! Yumm!

I have 2 rest days a week, as well. This week, it’s been a bit more…oops!
Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life recently posted..Facebook Faux Pas

31 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 30, 2011 at 10:54 am

Love mnemonic devices! I teach high school & it’s very interesting to hear the crazy ones 15 and 16 year olds can come up with!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Holiday Gift Guide: For the Hostess

32 Katie @ Plates and Paste November 30, 2011 at 11:38 am

Eating the last of the leftovers today for lunch! Turkey and barley soup made from a stock from Thanksgiving turkey. Plus stuffing. Yum :)

33 Elizabeth November 30, 2011 at 11:47 am

…. we had the exact same breakfast today. literally. well, mine didn’t have the chai seeds but apart from that, identical. weird huh? :)

34 Tina @ Best Body Fitness November 30, 2011 at 11:52 am

you don’t want to know how I remember muscles. I pictured the names as Harry Potter spells and the actions the muscles would take. No. Joke. Hahahah!
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..It Wasn’t Necessary

35 Courtney December 1, 2011 at 11:23 am

You are hilarious, Tina! :)

36 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn November 30, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Ahahah love the smiley face bfast!
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..What I Like to Eat Wednesday

37 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill November 30, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Mnemonic devices are the best! In high school, my friends and I would cram during lunchtime and we always sat around thinking of silly things so that we could easily remember the information for a test that was usually later in the day!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Hyatt Regency Curacao Review

38 Khushboo November 30, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I think it’s really cool you didn’t put up a post last night just for the heck of it! I feel like many bloggers do and it seriously affects their overall quality!
Khushboo recently posted..How to look toned in less than an hour

39 Courtney November 30, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Thanks Khushboo. That’s something that is very important to me…quality over quantity! :)

40 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 30, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I used mnemonic devices all the time in school! They work like a charm.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..abnormally exhausted

41 Liz @ Tip Top Shape November 30, 2011 at 1:06 pm

We eat at other people’s houses for Thanksgiving, so sadly no leftovers. I cook a lot at my apartment, though, and as someone who lives alone I feel like I am always eating leftovers. Forces me to be creative, though, when I’m on the third day of the same food and think–how can I change this up?
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..A Radish To Remember

42 Lauren November 30, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I am in my first semester of physical therapy school- so we are learning a lot of the same things!

All of our material has said the Teres Major isn’t part of the rotator cuff, though. It works on the GH joint, but isn’t part of the “cuff” itself. I know sometimes there are discrepancies between experts, but I just wanted to point it out in case!

Internal Rotators of Humerus
Lat. Dorsi
Anterior Deltoid
Teres Major (Majors are INcluded, Minors are EXcluded)
Subscapularis

43 Katie November 30, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I took a cadaver lab last semester and we learned this for the muscles that externally rotate the leg.
P- piriformis
G-gemellus superior
O- obturator externus
G- gemellus inferior
O- obturator internus
Q- quadratus femoris

44 Kelly November 30, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I made myself a smoothie this morning for breakfast that literally made me want to cry it was so good. Into the mix went: 1 cup almond milk, 1 frozen banana, 1 cup fresh strawberries, 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder, a splash of vanilla extract, 1 tbsp. flaxseed oil and some ice. It was so thick and creamy and just REALLY REALLY good!
Kelly recently posted..a truth

45 Brandi November 30, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Love cat pictures! My cat is also vocal when I don’t pay him any attention. He will reach his paw out to give me a pat when I walk by. :) My lil man…:)
No leftovers here! Thank goodness. My family went somewhere so there was actually nothing to bring home.
The best thing that works for me is to write it down. ALOT. :) The Seminary class that I am taking requires essay answers, which are not my favorite, but writing everything down a bunch gets it in my brain. :)
The best breakfast this week?? Hmm, probably cooked oats with any kind of nut butter. With nut butters you can’t go wrong!

Hope you have a great day! :)

46 Mallory @ It's Only Life November 30, 2011 at 2:15 pm

iwas a neuroscience major so i def used mnemonics to remember all the cranial nerves! worked like a charm for the practical!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Fit Tips Tuesday

47 Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony November 30, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I always use mnemonic devices with my first graders, and the kids often come back years later and still remember them!

Tonight I’m actually using the last of my Thanksgiving leftovers (turkey breast) to make healthy fajitas. (I still have two free turkey breasts in the freezer to use though!)

Best breakfast this week? Two Van’s Lite waffles topped with sugar free syrup and a banana with peanut butter on the side.

Hope your day is going well!
Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony recently posted..Hot and Cold

48 Whitney November 30, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I’m studying for my NASM as well and just hit chapter 4! That stuff is so hard to learn and highly overwhelming. I love the mnemonics! Such a great tip!
Whitney recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday! Post Thanksgiving Healthy Eats!

49 Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 30, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I definitely used mnemonics through anatomy I & II. There are WAY too many blood vessels and all that to know otherwise!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..The New Meat?

50 Pamela November 30, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I am studying for my boards, so I’m sure I’ll come across some anatomy and phys mnemonics!! :)
Pamela recently posted..Jersey Girl

51 Shannon November 30, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I want that soup. I want THAT SOUP! :)

1. Yes; I do use mnemonic devices occasionally when studying for a unit test or processes that I have to know. Sometimes, I’m successful and other times, I remember them without the mnemonic devices. Other times, I’m at a total loss. :(

2. I think we have leftovers of dark turkey meat in the fridge but it’s for the dogs. They love people food.

3. All I’ve had this week I’ve eaten Eggo Buttermilk waffles (plain) with a big ol’ glass of white milk.
Shannon recently posted..Good, cheap gifts for the people you may know

52 Shana November 30, 2011 at 6:23 pm

You may have already talked about this but I was wondering what made you decide to take two rest days? I workout six days a week (even when I don’t feel like it) and was wondering what the health benefits of rest days are so that I can remind myself of them when I’m feeling guilty for skipping a workout!
Shana recently posted..Here comes Santa Claus…..

53 Courtney December 1, 2011 at 11:20 am

Honestly, I’m really just sticking with 2 rest days right now to keep me sane. :) Life is so busy that I just don’t want to over-do it, ya know?

54 Michelle B. November 30, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I’m trying to go easy on the sweets after dinner too. I’m just so used to it! Immediately after dinner, no matter how full I am, I want something sweet (mainly just chocolate). I decided to make Mondays and Wednesdays “no dessert” days, and it worked on Monday… but today I wasn’t strong enough to resist the chocolate brownie cookies in my pantry :-)

55 Laura@mypurposefullife November 30, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Mnemonics are always a must for me to study-especially in bio-related classes. I remember using the ones you are using now when I was in Anatomy and Physiology in college. Good luck with the studying! Muscle groups ARE hard!

I notice a huge difference in my hunger levels in the morning when I eat less at night (which, to me also usually means skipping dessert). I actually really like it-it actually makes it easier for me to get out of bed! :)
Laura@mypurposefullife recently posted..Before 2012

56 Rose December 1, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Random thought, but maybe if you spread out your treats throughout the day, you wouldn’t feel so tempted to have them all at once? :P