Girls Day Out!

by Courtney on December 4, 2011

Wow, talk about a fun girls day. Lots to share with you all this evening!

So a couple of you actually guessed right this morning, too…

We went to the Yankee Candle Village in Deerfield, MA!

None of us had ever been out to the flagship store and since we knew that none of the men in our lives would ever be slightly interested in going, we decided to make a girls day out of it. Definitely a great decision!

Truthfully, all of us were pretty overwhelmed upon walking into this place. I mean it seriously has everything and it is freakin’ enormous. Not only did they have about a gazillion candles in every scent imaginable, but there was also boutiques, mini shops, candy stores, and more!

Our first stop was the kitchen and man oh man did they have some fun stuff.

IMG_0382IMG_0383IMG_0384IMG_0385

The free samples totally sucked me in (as always) and also convinced me to buy an out-of-this-world vinaigrette that was out on display.

Next, we walked through some of the cute boutiques and gift shops, including one of the largest Vera Bradley displays I’ve ever seen.

I came across this adorable laptop case and came *this close* to letting my mom get it for me as an early birthday present when she offered, but as we were checking out we both thought we’d be better off leaving it behind.

I think $82.00 for a little laptop case is a little much.

As we continued walking around, we ended up in the main candle part of the store, which was full of regular candles, “dip your own” and “make your own” candles, and other candle accessories.

So.many.candles!

Eventually, we made it into Bavarian Village and “the room…”

You know, the one that snows every four minutes!

“It’s snowing!”

The girls Smile

After the snow, we wound up in the toy shop and I can’t even begin to tell you how excited I was when I came across this little guy…

I used to LOVE my Snoopy Sno-cone Machine! Did anyone else ever have one of these growing up???

After hitting just about every mini shop that there was within the store, the three of us had worked up quite an appetite, so we decided to go check out Chandler’s Restaurant, which is located right within the village store.

Unfortunately, there was about an hour wait and since we were all hungry and had already done all of our shopping, we decided to hit the road and find somewhere else to chow.

At the recommendation of the guy directing traffic in the parking lot, we ended up driving into Northampton, MA which, can I just say, is an absolutely adorable little area. It reminded me a lot of when Jay and I visited Amherst back in March – I’d definitely love to go back and shop around!

But us gals were on a mission for food, so thanks to Google Maps, we ended up at a little place called Paul & Elizabeth’s.

The place was super cute and had such a fresh, healthy menu. I loved it.

I ended up ordering the P&E’s Vegetable Burger, served with field greens, tomato, and horseradish mayonnaise (on the side) with melted Vermont cheddar.

I also decided to add some grilled red onion to my sandwich, which was an excellent addition. This veggie burger was unlike any other one I’d ever had (definitely freshly made) and was absolutely delicious. I ate about 3/4 of everything there and luckily still had a little room for dessert. Winking smile

So after we were finished, we headed back down the super-cute staircase to check out the place next door.

You guys see that little ice cream cone there next to Paul & Elizabeth’s?

Imagine my excitement when I saw THIS. Legendary ice cream? Puh-leeease…say no more!

I had never heard of Herrell’s Ice Cream, but I was sold.

I went with a double-scoop cone – one scoop of English Toffee Crunch + one scoop of Malted Vanilla.

Definitely the perfect way to end a fantastic girls day out, wouldn’t ya say? Winking smile

So what did I wind up buying today do you ask? Well…let me show you!

Candles, of course.

IMG_0425IMG_0426

A honey balsamic vinaigrette and a sample bag of Highlander Grogg coffee. I knew Jay would enjoy the Irish Cream flavor.

And finally, a new Vera Bradley coin purse. I was definitely in need of a new one.

Lots of goodies!

Phew! If you’re still with me after all of that, well then, you’re just super awesome.

Now, after a fun-filled day with mom and Meg, it’s about time for me to settle in and relax with my boys for the evening.

I hope everyone has had a fantastic weekend!

Questions for the Evening:

Have you ever visited the Yankee Candle Village store(s)?

Are you a Vera Bradley fan? What are your favorite patterns?

1 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers December 4, 2011 at 7:02 pm

the flagship store!?!?! oh how i wish i was with you today!!!

2 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign December 4, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Oh my gosh, what a fun day! Seriously, I wish we had a Yankee Candle Shopping area by me!

3 Blog is the New Black December 4, 2011 at 7:04 pm

I live in MA and I’ve never been to the flagship store!!! And of COURSE I had the Snoopy sno cone maker! ;)
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Reese’s Stuffed Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

4 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries December 4, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Oh man, what a fun-filled day! All of these shops are some of my favorites. I absolutely LOVE Vera Bradley and have several of their designs. It looked like the perfect girls’ day!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..A Festive Filled Day

5 HeatherB December 4, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Ohhh, I love Yankee Candle! I always used to go there with my mom and sisters when I lived in MA. Such a nice way to spend a girls day :)

6 Mallory @ It's Only Life December 4, 2011 at 7:14 pm

candle stores always overwhelm my senses..i never know what anything smells like by the time i’m done! i love vera bradley but it’s so expensive… 82 dollars is a little crazy! i’m sure it will go on sale after the holidays though :)
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..The Boynton

7 meaghan December 4, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Are candles @ the flagship store less expensive?? I’d like to go, but only if it’s going to save me some pennies on those candles!

8 Courtney December 5, 2011 at 10:29 am

It didn’t seem like they were, but I did have a coupon, so I still got a good deal :)

9 Lauren @ Lawfully Wedded Wife December 4, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Looks like so much fun! We have a flagship store here in Williamsburg (it’s actually like a mile away from my house…haha!) and we have been several times, it’s awesome!
Lauren @ Lawfully Wedded Wife recently posted..Roasted Beet Salad with Honey Dijon Vinaigrette

10 Bridget December 4, 2011 at 7:30 pm

ahh soo jealous you went to the flagships store!! i work at yankee candle here in california and next time i go back out east im def going there!!!
Bridget recently posted..479 Popcorn- A great gift to send during the holidays

11 Deb December 4, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Hi Courtney! I have never commented on your blog (although I read it DAILY), but I live in MA and actually work in the Amherst/Noho area, and let me tell ya…for a newbie you picked great places to go, but you should definitely come back, everywhere there is great! I love Paul and Elizabeth’s…and omg Herrell’s homemade whipped cream is to DIE for. Glad you had a good day in Mass!! And again, love your blog!!! :)

12 Courtney December 5, 2011 at 10:29 am

Thanks, Deb!!

13 Amanda @ Let Me Be What's Underneath December 4, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Wow….looks like such a fun day! :)
Amanda @ Let Me Be What’s Underneath recently posted..Quotable Sunday

14 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 4, 2011 at 7:45 pm

As I was reading this, I was so so jealous of the Yankee Candle store you went to – and then I had to laugh because of what you said about guys not being excited about candles – because when yous top to think about it, it’s hilarious that we women get excited about them.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..things i didn’t blog about

15 Courtney December 5, 2011 at 10:28 am

Hahaha, Chelsey, that is SO true

16 Katie December 4, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I haven’t been to a Yankee Candle Village Store, but I used to work at Hallmark and I was in charge of the Yankee candle section. I can still name every scent just by smelling it and not seeing the name lol.

17 Care @HealthierGirl December 4, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I actually have been to that Yankee Candle store. I went to college in Northampton…. Paul & Elizabeth’s was a definite favorite. There are SO many great restaurants there. I am so jealous. I keep trying to talk my husband into a weekend trip to Noho but we haven’t made it yet. :(

18 Heather December 4, 2011 at 7:48 pm

What an AWESOME day! I live in MA and the Yankee Candle Village is legit. So much fun! Is that a “Christmas by the Beach” candle? Perfection in scented form!
Heather recently posted..Sometimes

19 Courtney December 5, 2011 at 10:28 am

Yes! It’s amazing :)

20 Diana December 4, 2011 at 7:49 pm

I LOVE the jacket you’re wearing! What brand is it, if you don’t mind sharing?

I have the same old pink-and-green Vera pattern that you had – I, too, could probably stand to grab some new stuff, but I just love that old pattern!
Diana recently posted..Thanksgiving: You Just Can’t Escape It

21 Courtney December 5, 2011 at 10:28 am

Thanks! It’s from Express :)

22 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill December 4, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I want to go there! Too bad it is a bit far from Baltimore! I have a Vera Bradley laptop case and it has surprisingly held up really well over the past four years!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Manicures and Holiday Candy

23 Krissie J December 4, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I’ve only been in the Yankee Candle store in the KOP Mall and every time I leave with the biggest headache ever. Too many scents at once! The flagship store looks a lot more spread out so I could probably tolerate it better. ;)

I loved the Snoopy Snow Cone machine! We had one growing, too!
Krissie J recently posted..Feeling Festive

24 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake December 4, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Wow; I didn’t know this place even existed! What a fun idea for a girls’ day!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..December Goals

25 Lauren December 4, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Ah, so fun! Sometimes it’s so nice to spend the entire day with your girls and not having to worry about a pesky husband asking how much longer you will be in each store. Glad you enjoyed yourselves.
Lauren recently posted..I Must Have Been Nice

26 Alaina Johnson December 4, 2011 at 8:37 pm

So jealous! That looks like heaven on earth! Love your coin purse and I have matching accessories!

27 Nancy (Beyoutiful Fitstyle) December 4, 2011 at 8:51 pm

OBSESSED with Vera Bradley. I’m not sure what the names of mine are, but I’ve been using my one blue purse for so long that it’s literally falling apart. Guess I need to find a new one too…maybe.
Nancy (Beyoutiful Fitstyle) recently posted..Anniversary Weekend

28 Kate December 4, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Looks like you had a perfect day! My birthday is on the 13th so my mom & my sisters are meeting me there next weekend for a girl’s day/birthday lunch. Now I an even more excited to go!! Its been a few years since I’ve been & it looks like they added a bunch of stuff. Thanks for the preview!

29 Courtney December 5, 2011 at 10:27 am

Awww you’ll have a blast, Kate! :)

30 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 4, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I’ve been there! It’s soooo overwhelming which is usually a super turn off for me when shopping, but I braved it in that one for some awesome candle deals. You can never have too many Yankee candles. I love your new Vera Bradley purse!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Pre-race emotions & a mango smoothie

31 Elizabeth @TheBareMidriff December 4, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Oh, that looks like such a fun time! We went to the Yankee store in Williamsburg, VA – I loved the Christmas area – magical! And yes, I had a Snoopy Sno-Cone maker when I was a little girl, and I loved it too!
Elizabeth @TheBareMidriff recently posted..Accidental Intentional 5K

32 Amanda December 4, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Yes! I’ve been to the YC store many times. Did you find the clearance room there? And the Dylan’s Candy Bar shop??

We live in Boston, but my husband and I got married in Northampton (he went to UMass Amherst). I love the area!

Unfortunately, I am not a Vera Bradley fan. This is kind of a running joke for me and my husband since his sister keeps buying me VB bags for my birthday and I never said anything and now it’s too late and awkward to say anything!!

33 Courtney December 5, 2011 at 10:27 am

Ummmm, NO! I missed BOTH of those?!?! Boooo….

34 Amanda December 5, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Oh no!! Those are two areas I think you’d love!! Oh well, another trip, right?!?

35 Jodi December 4, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Wow; it looks like you had a blast! I love visiting little villas like that; there’s just so much to see!

I totally agree that that laptop bag was WAY on the steep side!
Jodi recently posted..They’ll Feel Like a Million Bucks

36 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn December 4, 2011 at 11:32 pm

oh my goodness, can I please just say that I used to go to the Yankee Candle Village EVERY December on my way to visit family Christmas week?! As a kid, it is literally the greatest experience. They decorate it so well and make it feel like a fairy tale.
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Get Off My Internets

37 Ashlee December 5, 2011 at 12:07 am

I love that Yankee Candle store! Glad you had fun!

I had been itching for a new Vera Bradley item in the color you got :) I love the new colors.
Ashlee recently posted..Happy December!

38 Jacqui December 5, 2011 at 12:10 am

Ahh I was right with my guess :) like I said before…love that place. I went to school in Amherst and was actually visiting home in Lee today, what a coincidence to read that old post. I used to work at those outlets…..small world :)
Jacqui recently posted..Detoxify

39 Khushboo December 5, 2011 at 12:51 am

What a fun day! I am loving your jacket- tres chic!
Khushboo recently posted..December Do’s & Don’ts

40 Courtney December 5, 2011 at 10:26 am

Thanks!!

41 Lena @ Fit on the Rocks December 5, 2011 at 1:04 am

It looks like it would be really fun to visit the Yankee Candle village, but I don’t think I could handle it. My nose is really sensitive to smell, so even walking by a store at the mall makes me go into sensory overload. I literally hold my breath right before I reach the store and then run past hahaha.
Lena @ Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Long Run Sundays: Winter Blues + Awards

42 Clare @ SweetnSimple December 5, 2011 at 1:05 am

Girlie shopping days are the BEST – looks like you had a great day! :)

43 Michelle B. December 5, 2011 at 6:24 am

I had the snoopy sno-cone maker too! I have many fond memories of cranking that thing for hours to get a dixie-cup sized sno-cone :-)

44 Andrea @ Andrea out loud! December 5, 2011 at 8:30 am

Looks like you girls definitely had fun!

45 Hope December 5, 2011 at 8:35 am

I am in love with Yankee Candle! I have never been to the flagship store. It looks amazing! Sounds like you had a wonderful girls day! :)
Hope recently posted..An Italian Filled Weekend…

46 Shannon from Healthiful Balance December 5, 2011 at 8:58 am

Looks like you had an awesome time!
Shannon from Healthiful Balance recently posted..Drink Me Chai Review

47 Kim December 5, 2011 at 11:03 am

I didn’t know this store existed!! Are the candles less expensive there?? I love Yankee Candles, I wish I had a billion dollars to buy them all the time lol.

48 Courtney December 5, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Not really :(

49 Shayla @ The Good Life December 5, 2011 at 11:15 am

Wow what a fun day!!! And the food – amazing! A burger and ice cream is a perfect day of eats to me ;)

I always wondered what Vera Bradely is? When I went back to NY over Thanksgiving, my husban’ds best friend’s girlfriend said that Vera Bradely, The North Face, and Uggs were the top 3 things a girl wants in NY – and I was like, who’s Vera Bradely? I guess it’s a East Coast thing?!

50 Courtney December 5, 2011 at 3:55 pm

LOL – this makes me laugh because I swear…if you were to walk around my mall, ALL you would see are girls in North Face fleeces and Ugg boots (vera bradley not as popular, but still around quite a bit). I must admit…I’m also one of those girls ;)

51 Shayla @ The Good Life December 6, 2011 at 12:39 am

Haha that.is.awesome. Hmmm I wonder what those 3 things would be here in CA?? Although I know Uggs would definitely make our list too! ;)
Shayla @ The Good Life recently posted..I Give Myself Permission To…

52 Susanna S. December 5, 2011 at 12:05 pm

You should come to the flagship store in Williamsburg!! :) I’m sure its just as great :)

53 Shannon December 5, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Yes, I have been to the Yankee Candle Store before. It’s very nice in there. If you go again, eat at Chandler’s first before shopping. It usually gets crowded around 12:30-1.

I love Vera Bradley- I only have 1 wallet from her collection (pretty blue) but I don’t mind; I like it a lot.

54 Katie @ staying satisfied December 5, 2011 at 5:21 pm

LOVE this post! Northampton, MA is right next to my hometown of Easthampton, MA…and I must say, after working for 3 summers at Mt Tom’s Ice Cream and Candy Shop in Easthampton, we have some excellent competition! If you’re ever in Western, MA again, I highly recommend it! http://mttoms.com/
Katie @ staying satisfied recently posted..Newsflash.

55 Lucy @ Alaska Cruise Advisor December 6, 2011 at 12:13 am

Cool looking displays, although I can see why the guys weren’t interested. Nice looking sandwiches btw.

56 Amanda December 6, 2011 at 12:21 am

I LOVE the Yankee Candle Flagship store!!! There is so much to shop for there, I usually spend $80 + on all the stuff there. There is a great candy shop about 5 minutes up the road that makes their own candy their chocolate is amazing

57 Hope Frye December 9, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Glad you had a good day in Mass!! Too bad it is a bit far from Baltimore! Glad you had fun! Paul & Elizabeth’s was a definite favorite.
Hope Frye recently posted..Arthritis Tips

58 Ethel Delacruz February 20, 2012 at 12:12 am

It’s very nice in there. I have never commented on your blog (although I read it DAILY), but I live in MA and actually work in the Amherst/Noho area, and let me tell ya…for a newbie you picked great places to go, but you should definitely come back, everywhere there is great! Paul & Elizabeth’s was a definite favorite. What a fun idea for a girls’ day!
Ethel Delacruz recently posted..Swiffer Mops