The Annual Christmas Party

by Courtney on December 4, 2011

Nothin’ like a good Christmas party with family to get you into the holiday season!

Last night, Jay and I attended an annual Christmas party held by very close family friends of ours.

These friends, Tim & Joan, have been great friends with my parents since before I was even around, and they usually have some great parties for all of the major holidays. Growing up, I was told that I had to wait until I was an “adult” to be invited to the annual Christmas party, which is always held on the first Saturday of December. I can still remember being jealous every time my parents would attend and I would be stuck at home with a babysitter.

But for the past few years, me, Jay, and my brother have been able to attend and join in on the festivities…which always include lots of yummy food.

I spent quite a bit of time grazing at the table, chatting with my parents, and sipping on some wine before finally deciding to make myself a small plate.

Don’t let the plate picture fool you. That’s just one snapshot of some of the goods I enjoyed. If I had whipped out the camera for every single snack, appetizer, and cookie that I had, then I probably would have run out the battery. You get the idea.

I also may have found myself a new favorite wine, Riondo Pinot Grigio. It was incredible.

SO much so that I enjoyed a few glasses throughout the evening.

Of course, there were also plenty of peanut butter kisses cookies, just like last year and every other year before that. It’s a lovely tradition, isn’t it?

And in addition to the cookies, there was my favorite table of the entire party…

The Dessert Table.

Do you guys see the candy cane and tree cakes there on the ends? Well those two cakes are something that I look forward to every year.

Our friend Tim makes them and there is just something about them that I absolutely adore. The candy cane cake is actually made with a strawberry cake mix, with cherry preserves added right to the batter. It’s just amazing and it’s a treat I’m only able to enjoy once a year.

So you know what that means? I loaded up!

And then I went back for seconds.

And then Joanie did what she always does and sent us home with a little care package.

They’re so good to us!

I actually left the party feeling a lot less disgusting than I usually do, which was quite a feat. I enjoyed my treats but I didn’t go *too* overboard. Just like I planned. Smile

*****

This morning, I’m heading out once again to meet up with my mom and Meg for a fun little trip out to Massachusetts. We’re going somewhere that I’ve never been before but I’m really, REALLY excited about it.

I’ll fill ya’ll in a bit later but for now I’ll give ya a little hint…

It snows every four minutes there. Winking smile

1 Caitlin December 4, 2011 at 9:23 am

That dessert table looks AWESOME! PB Hershey Kiss cookies are such a classic. I think they are almost everyone’s favorite classic cookie! That wine glass is too cute. I love finding a new wine – and indulging in a few glasses of it ;-) glad you had fun!
Caitlin recently posted..New Camera’s Premier!

2 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake December 4, 2011 at 9:45 am

I love those peanut butter kisses cookies! They’re by far my favorite Christmas cookie!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Checking In

3 Shari December 4, 2011 at 9:49 am

That dessert table looks amazing — and so festive! Isn’t it awesome how people go all out this time of year? Makes everything even more fun!
Shari recently posted..EDITS ARE FINISHED!

4 Jenn December 4, 2011 at 10:06 am

What a fabulous holiday party!!! There is nothing that makes me happier than a holiday bash. :)

I must ask though- I’m in love with your top. Where did you find it??? So pretty!
Jenn recently posted..A set up for…

5 Emily @ Relishments December 4, 2011 at 10:12 am

I know where you’re going! I’m pretty sure you’re going to love it–have a great time!
Emily @ Relishments recently posted..Goals in Progress: November

6 EG Gal December 4, 2011 at 10:13 am

Oooh Oooh, I know where you’re going but I’ve never been there before either. Looking forward to your blog later to hear how it was. I just stocked up with their buy two, get two free!!

7 Laura H. December 4, 2011 at 10:19 am

Those desserts look fabulous! I love it when people make holiday cakes of any kind, since I prefer cake to cookies any day. Your hair looks great, by the way. I wish I could get mine to look that sleek in the middle of winter. ;)

8 Marykate Sinnott December 4, 2011 at 11:31 am

It’s a beautiful day here in MA, enjoy!!! :)

9 Khushboo December 4, 2011 at 11:34 am

I wanna drive head first into the dessert table- what a spread!
Khushboo recently posted..December Do’s & Don’ts

10 Shannon December 4, 2011 at 11:42 am

That looks like such a fun party. I wish our family friends did something like that. My mom has peanut butter kisses cookies in the cookie jar right now. How ironic is that?!?

11 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries December 4, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Looks like a fun AND delicious evening! :) You and Jay look so cute together in that first photo – beautiful couple! And oh my, all of those treats look amazing. I love holiday goodies. Those peanut butter kiss cookies are one of my favorites.
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..A Festive Filled Day

12 Jacqui December 4, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Are you going to the Yankee Candle Factory?! I love that place especially this time of the year. I’m jealous if that’s where you’re going.
Jacqui recently posted..Detoxify

13 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill December 4, 2011 at 12:28 pm

What a fun tradition! The dessert table is always my favorite at parties, too!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Manicures and Holiday Candy

14 Shannon @ Healthiful Balance December 4, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Wowzers, all that food looks SO SO good! :)
Shannon @ Healthiful Balance recently posted..Five Foodie Favorites

15 Chelcie of Chelcie's Food Files December 4, 2011 at 12:59 pm

peanut butter kisses are my favorite holiday cookie! looks like you had a great time!
Chelcie of Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..For the love of Oatmeal-Post Recap

16 Mallory @ It's Only Life December 4, 2011 at 1:10 pm

you are so pretty courtney! all those desserts look amazing! wow!
Mallory @ It’s Only Life recently posted..Fit Tips Tuesday

17 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile December 4, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I loveee holiday parties! So fun :D That dessert table looks sooo awesome. Such great goodies!

18 Jessica @ The Process of Healing December 4, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Those cakes look amazing and SO cute!
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Surprised Kitty

19 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles December 4, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I love finding a new favorite wine! <3 Yummmm! …..Especially when it was combined with a dessert table like that!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..December? Bring on the… **Candy Cane Dip**

20 Tracy @ Tracy's Treats December 4, 2011 at 3:10 pm

All those desserts look wonderful!
Tracy @ Tracy’s Treats recently posted..You Will Never Regret….

21 Jodi December 4, 2011 at 10:42 pm

It looks like you had a great time; but any party with lots of food is good with me!
Jodi recently posted..They’ll Feel Like a Million Bucks

22 Sue December 5, 2011 at 8:28 am

Do you think your friend would share how he makes the candy cane cake. I “need” to make one this year for the dessert table. I’m in charge of it and am always looking for new, festive recipes and that cakes sounds and looks amazing. Thanks!!!

23 Courtney December 5, 2011 at 10:26 am

I’m pretty sure that he just uses a strawberry cake mix, makes it as-is, but also adds in some extra maraschino cherry juice and strawberry preserves. I *think* he puts it in a 9×13 pan and just cuts it as a candy cane and frosts it. It should be pretty easy! Good luck! :)

24 Laura@mypurposefullife December 6, 2011 at 8:46 am

You look absolutely gorgeous and glowing in these pictures! Also, Peanut Butter Blossoms are one of my biggest addictions. I only make them (or eat them) at Christmas, but they are one of the cookies I always looks forward to the most every year. I’m glad you stuck to your “not overdoing it” plan! That’s always easier said than done. :)
Laura@mypurposefullife recently posted..A Festive Weekend