A Day Full of Memories

by Courtney on December 5, 2011

December 5th…well, well, well. This day sure brings back a lot of memories.

Specifically, it brings me back to a movie theater, twelve years ago. A nervous teenager with sweaty palms and a fluttering heart. Oh, and a box of Raisinets too, of course.

The movie? “Anywhere But Here,” but I really only remember that because I knew well enough to keep and cherish that particular movie stub ticket.

My nerves were shooting through the roof, at that ripe old age of 15 that I was, as I sat next to a boy that somehow gave me butterflies like no other had. We had already gone on a first date, but there was something about this one that made me nervous.

The movie was filled with the awkwardness that you would expect…”Do I grab for his hand?" “Should I wait for him to grab mine?” “Oh crap, my palms are so sweaty, he probably thinks I’m gross.”

The movie ended, the theater cleared out, and I quickly realized that it was just the two of us left. It was at that moment when this particular boy looked over at me and asked me to be his girlfriend. Boy, I’m so glad I said yes.

DSC01234

(That photo always makes us laugh!)

So now, twelve years later, even though we’re old and married (haha) and quickly approaching our two year wedding anniversary (wow), I still celebrate this special day because it was the day that started it all. And I honestly can’t believe it’s been this long. We’re getting OLD. Disappointed smile

*****

Alright, a nice little trip down memory lane. Now, let’s talk breakfast.

This morning called for another egg, provolone cheese, and jam English muffin, which really turned out awesome, thanks to the melted, crispy cheese on the edges.

The coffee was also the mini sample that I bought yesterday, which Jay and I both decided was decent, but not a favorite.

Now it’s about time for me to get goin’ on a few other things on my agenda for today. Have a great Monday, everyone!

Questions for the Morning:

Married folks: Do you celebrate “dating” anniversaries, or just wedding anniversaries?

Non-Married folks: Do you celebrate dating anniversaries year-by-year or month-by-month?

Hitched folks: How long have you been dating and/or married to your S.O?

1 Katelyn@ Foodie Goes to School December 5, 2011 at 9:17 am

Yay! I think you SHOULD celebrate your dating anniversary! Congrats :) Glad you found each other! I hope I find mine some day :)
Katelyn@ Foodie Goes to School recently posted..“I love nuts. I love chocolate. I love love.”

2 Heather B December 5, 2011 at 9:18 am

My husband and I are like you and Jay, we’ve been together since we were 16 and now we’re 30 (only married for 3 though, haha). Crazy to think it’s been that long.

3 Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers December 5, 2011 at 9:22 am

I love that you kept the stub, that gives me warm fuzzies in my heart.

As for me, since I never thought I’d be dating the man in my life after meeting him at a random convention in Philadelphia (hundreds of miles from where both of us lived), we now celebrate our “Anniversary” on the day we officially became a “couple” and decided to be dating. But I think we only celebrate it yearly or half yearly anymore. Coming up on four years, whoah jam.
Jordan @ food, sweat, and beers recently posted..Six Pack Sunday: Treat Yo’ Self

4 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie December 5, 2011 at 9:22 am

We celebrate our anniversary year by year (non-married)… When we get married we will celebrate wedding anniversary’s, not dating.
alyssa – fashion fitness foodie recently posted..Mexican Crock Pot Chicken

5 Khushboo December 5, 2011 at 9:29 am

Aww what a cute story- thanks for sharing! :)
Khushboo recently posted..Meatless Mondays

6 Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer December 5, 2011 at 9:33 am

I read once that married couples should always celebrate their dating anniversary as well as their wedding. Alot of people don’t find time to celebrate life’s special moments.
Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer recently posted..Dishwasher Debacle

7 Tina December 5, 2011 at 9:33 am

Happy Dating Anniversary! I love that pic of you guys : )

Your hair looks great short! I like it long also but you really can pull off the short look!
Tina recently posted..New Week

8 Chelcie of Chelcie's Food Files December 5, 2011 at 9:38 am

aw loved the re-cap! happy anniversary!
Chelcie of Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..Will run for bagel’s and ice coffee!

9 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss December 5, 2011 at 9:39 am

gosh, I love this.

my parents celebrate their “first date” anniversary, too… it was at a Phillies game waaay back when. no wonder I like ‘em so much, right? ;)
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..Fiveday

10 Courtney December 5, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Aww that’s so cute!

11 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life December 5, 2011 at 9:40 am

That’s so sweet! My boyfriend asked me to be his girlfriend on the top of the rock in NYC and I still have our tickets from there too.
We celebrate year by year but we will do something on our month anniversary too sometimes.
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Christmas Card Success

12 Coco December 5, 2011 at 9:41 am

Aw, how sweet!!! My man and I have only been dating for 7 months lol so I can’t really answer the anniversary questions for you. But it is so sweet reading this post! haha
Coco recently posted..A Whole Lot More Than Food Poisoning

13 Kathryn December 5, 2011 at 9:41 am

We celebrate marriage anniversaries only, though we acknowledge when our dating anniversary comes around. We started dating September 12, 2008 (3 years and almost 3 months) and we’ve been married since June 20, 2009 (2 years and 5 months). Yes, you read that right, we dated for a total of 9 months before getting married. I will say, we’re not a crazy couple. We’ve known each other for 10 years, we actually fell in love with each other back in 2006 but, due to a variety of different circumstances and decisions, nothing came of it until 2008. See? Not crazy, lol.
Kathryn recently posted..Our First Tweet Up

14 Laura @ Backstage Balance December 5, 2011 at 9:41 am

Aww, congratulations! And how cute that you still have the ticket stubs from those first dates.
My partner and I have been together for 7+ years. It was only this year that anyone other than our parents wished us a happy anniversary! We’ll probably get married someday, but obviously aren’t in any rush :-)
Laura @ Backstage Balance recently posted..BodyPump puns + That song in the VS Holiday 2011 commercial

15 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill December 5, 2011 at 9:41 am

What a cute story! Movie dates are vivid memories in my mind–it was pretty much the place to secure a boyfriend!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Manicures and Holiday Candy

16 Kasey @powercakes.blogspot.com December 5, 2011 at 9:44 am

This is adorable! I love hearing stories of how relationships started :-) im single now but with past relationships I’ve always celebrated the months and years! :-)

17 Lindsay @ biking before bed December 5, 2011 at 9:49 am

Teen movie dates were always so awkward:) so glad that yours turned out so well.
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..San Antonio Riverwalk and Buc-ee’s

18 Chantal December 5, 2011 at 9:50 am

Aaaw, love to you both today :) And since we never officially “dated,” we actually always celebrate the day we met (Sept. 17!)

And yay to those who got married fast because they also just “knew.” (We did at the 6 month mark! We were handfasted when I was only 19!)
Chantal recently posted..Vegan Reuben Sandwich

19 Danica @ It's Progression Not Perfection December 5, 2011 at 9:55 am

Such a cute story : ) I can relate–my fiance and I have been together since high school too, and we celebrate that same kind of anniversary every year. It’ll already be 5 years this January. I hope you and Jay have fun celebrating!
Danica @ It’s Progression Not Perfection recently posted..Christmas Giveaway!

20 Jenny December 5, 2011 at 9:58 am

Me and the bf only celebrate years and we’re never quite sure whether we should mark the day we met or the day he popped the “gf” question. So it just makes for two celebrations! :)
Jenny recently posted..Weekend Workouts

21 Allie @ PickyEatingRD December 5, 2011 at 10:04 am

Aww this is so cute! My bf and I have been dating for 2 1/2 years and we celebrate our first date but only bc we made it our anniversary. Both of us knew we were “in it” that day so we roll with it! Congrats!

22 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles December 5, 2011 at 10:05 am

Aw! <3 …..I know the time simply flies by for sure! Where did all of those years go?
We don't celebrate dating anniversaries simply because our dating years were not the best and I don't know exactly when we started dating. Weird, I know. Come to think of it, I don't even know how we ended up together! HA!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..December? Bring on the… **Candy Cane Dip**

23 Ruthie Hart December 5, 2011 at 10:16 am

awww what a cute story!! And you saved the stub…adorable!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..Birthdays, booze & Baylor Bears

24 Nicole December 5, 2011 at 10:21 am

Very cute – happy anniversary!

On a different note, I love the crispy cheese around the edges of things! That is by far, my fave part of anything cheesy :)

25 Claire December 5, 2011 at 10:27 am

Congrats girl! that is absolutely adorable and you should most definitely celebrate all the little things!

26 Hope December 5, 2011 at 10:31 am

Such a cute story! I totally think you should still celebrate. After all, it’s how you two ended up together. :) My fiance and I have been together for 6 years. Once we get married in August, we will celebrate both our dating and wedding anniversaries. I think they are both very special.
Hope recently posted..An Italian Filled Weekend…

27 Brandi December 5, 2011 at 10:33 am

Awww….sweet post! :) I think it’s wonderful that you celebrate all of the special moments. I am currently not dating anyone, but in the last relationship I was in I wanted to remember everything. :) Oddly enough, even when it ended. Dated for two years and he ended up being my best friend. He just got married!
(cheezy grin coming)…..Just got some flowers from a gentlemen that attends the same church that I do. He actually delivered them himself and he said he hoped they made me smile. Umm it did…:) Should I write this down now or wait???? ;)
Have a great day!

28 Courtney December 5, 2011 at 10:45 am

Awwww how exciting!!!!
I say write it down….hey, ya never know ;)

29 Ashlee December 5, 2011 at 10:44 am

My husband and I have been married for less than a year but we have been together for 6+, he brought me flowers this year on our dating anniversary. I think we will still celebrate it.

The first year of dating he would write me a letter every month on the 8th, celebrating month-to-month.

That picture of you two is pretty funny ;)
Ashlee recently posted..Happy December!

30 Heather December 5, 2011 at 10:46 am

wow yall have been together a long time! We don’t really celebrate our dating anniversary because sadly, the night of our first date, my husbands roommate (we were in college) was killed in a car accident along with 2 other students from our school, so it was a very sad very strange first date to say the least, and I always feel funny being happy and celebrating on that day. We acknowledge it, but that’s about it. So fun though that you have that great memory!
Heather recently posted..All Lit Up

31 Sherri December 5, 2011 at 10:47 am

My hubby and I just tied the knot on November 30. We are planning a second beach wedding in May but our ceremony last week was the most romantic moment of my life. I am so lucky to call him my husband :)

32 Courtney December 5, 2011 at 3:56 pm

YAY! Congratulations!! :)

33 Lindsey December 5, 2011 at 11:01 am

We started dating in 2002, engaged in 2008 and married in 2010, so we just had our first wedding anniversary in September :) Because our dating anniversary (Sept 21) and wedding (Sept 18) and close together we celebrated both together this year.
Lindsey recently posted..Baking Frenzy

34 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake December 5, 2011 at 11:02 am

Aw, love the opening to this post!

I was married on August 6 of this year, & our dating anniversary was June 27!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..December Goals

35 Tiffany December 5, 2011 at 11:17 am

I know this is a stupid question and (clearly
) you can tell I’m not much of a cook, but can you tell me how you make your English muffin, egg, cheese, jelly sandwich? Do you toast the English muffin with the cheese on it? Or put the cheese on the egg while it’s on the stove? I know it doesn’t make much of a diff probably, but yours just look so good!! And I don’t want my first time making it to be a disaster

36 Courtney December 5, 2011 at 11:42 am

No question is a stupid question! ;)
I cook my eggs on the stove top, and just as they’re about finished I put the slice of cheese on and let it melt. While I’m cooking the eggs, I also have my english muffin toasting at the same time in the toaster, so everything ends up finishing right around the same time.
Hope that helps!

37 Jamie aka "Sometimes Healthy" Girl December 5, 2011 at 11:23 am

Awww that’s so cute! I love the way you describe how you felt. I think we can all relate to that, and it’s just so incredible that same person is now your husband :-)
Jamie aka “Sometimes Healthy” Girl recently posted..Leftover Thanksgiving Spaghetti Squash Casserole

38 Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life December 5, 2011 at 11:38 am

This post was so sweet! I married my high school sweetheart, so I can totally relate to remembering all the little dates. And I do mean ALL….

I’ve just gotten married, but I fully intend to celebrate each date I remember. Not sure if my husband knows yet, though… :-)
Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life recently posted..A Christmas-Themed Weekend

39 Courtney December 5, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Hahaha, my husband is well aware of the fact that I am a huge fan of celebrations. Hello, half birthdays! :)

40 Katie December 5, 2011 at 11:45 am

I was 15 when Terry and I started dating too!! We do celebrate our dating anniversary (it was 10 years on November 2!), I think because so much of our relationship was dating before we got married! Also, like you said, that’s where it all began. We’ve been married for about 3.5 years now.

41 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat December 5, 2011 at 11:53 am

That’s adorable that you commemorate that date. I remember our first date pretty well but it was less than 2 years ago! :)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Miscellaneous Monday

42 Jess@atasteofconfidence December 5, 2011 at 12:42 pm

You guys have such a cute story!

43 Steph @ StephSnacks December 5, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Such a cute post – made me smile!
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Christmas Dogs

44 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile December 5, 2011 at 1:17 pm

That was seriously soo adorable! That’s even cuter that you guys started dating at 15 :) Is your hair short in that picture? It looks good that length!

45 Courtney December 5, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Yup! I went for about a year with it short. It was fun, and a LOT less maintenance, but I do love my hair long!

46 Lena @ Fit on the Rocks December 5, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Wow! Congrats on 12 years!!! That’s so crazy. I usually go by a year-by-year basis, but it’s so much harder than it used to be when we were young. They ask you to be their girlfriend, and you have a date set in stone. Now you just date along and then one day you decide to start calling the other person your gf/bf. Too complicated lol.
Lena @ Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Long Run Sundays: Winter Blues + Awards

47 Brittany V December 5, 2011 at 1:34 pm

What a great story to start the week with! :) I love that you saved the ticket stub – I do the same thing! My BF and I have been together for 3.5 years – we celebrate when we made it official annually – but we often have acknowledged our first date and hit up starbucks (which is where we met at the beginning of the 12hr first date), and we have also acknowledged our six month mark as well. I think celebrating all those special moments and remimiscing are important :)

48 Courtney December 5, 2011 at 3:52 pm

12 hour first date?! Holy moly, that’s impressive! :)

49 Diana December 5, 2011 at 1:47 pm

My husband and I celebrate dating and wedding anniversaries. :) We’ve been together for 7 years and have been married for 1yr and 8mos.

Cute, cute story by the way! Husband and I went to see The Grudge for our first date and I had the worst case of sweaty palms ever. He ended up having to fan my hands. Lol. I was so embarrassed. *blush*

50 Andrea @ Andrea out loud! December 5, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Sounds so similar to Torrance and I, specifically that you guys dated since you were younger and waited a bit before getting married!
We have been together almost 8 years and we celebrate on that “will you be my girlfriend” day (april 15th!) as our anniversary and we always joke we are going to have to get married on april 15th now because it is already stuck in our minds!
Andrea @ Andrea out loud! recently posted..(Another) Sick Day

51 Candice @ Sailing on Paper December 5, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Happy almost two years! You guys are an adorable couple. :)
Candice @ Sailing on Paper recently posted..Happy Monday!

52 erica December 5, 2011 at 2:35 pm

i just got married in september, and our dating anniversary falls in feb. you better believe we’re still going to celebrate that! LOL. as my friend says, “all those years are important too! they need to be acknowledged!” ;)
erica recently posted..OTV and video confessions

53 Shannon December 5, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Happy dating anniversary! Was that theater in East Greenbush? I saw Greenbush on the ticket. I thought the Regal Theaters were always Regal.

54 Courtney December 5, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Yes it was. :)
The theater used to be called Hoyts way back in the day!

55 Katie December 5, 2011 at 6:13 pm

That’s so cute! I love it!

We were married in July, and our dating anniversary is in February, so we have yet to celebrate a dating anniversary since we’re husband and wife, but we probably will, even in a minor way. It’s still a very important day, like you said!

And I also love that photo of you two! :)
Katie recently posted..Griswold

56 Kerry @ Half Healthy, Half Nuts December 5, 2011 at 6:22 pm

We totally celebrate both, since we’ve been together WAY longer than we’ve been married. Our next dating anniversary (August) will be our TENTH year and our next wedding anniversary (October) will be our THIRD. You gotta celebrate both! Why not? :)
Kerry @ Half Healthy, Half Nuts recently posted..Driving a Boat

57 Amy December 5, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Hubby and i celebrate everything. We met online so we have that anniversary, and then the first time we met in person was when i finally agreed to cut his hair, then first date, then first trip, then puposal, then wedding. He’s better at keeping track of the dates than I am.
We’ll celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary in August hopefully in New York or San Francisco.

58 Camilla December 5, 2011 at 8:20 pm

awww! so happy for you two! :)

59 Laura@mypurposefullife December 6, 2011 at 8:57 am

Congrats! What a fun day to celebrate. :) I’ve been with my HS sweetheart for almost 7 years now (although we’re not married yet, but have successfully lived together in a *tiny* Manhattan apt. for over a year now, so I guess that’s a good sign! :) ) and we are celebrating on December 9. I love that our dating anni is in December since I love all things holidays! Major Congrats to you and Jay! This is a great post. I love the way you wove in the story of “the date that started it all.” :)
Laura@mypurposefullife recently posted..A Festive Weekend

60 Kellie December 6, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I love this because people always tell me how crazy it is that this is the 10th Christmas I will spend with my husband, but it’s only our second married Christmas. Well, when you start dating at 17, you can’t exactly get married… :) We just celebrate our married anniversary now, but we definitely remind each other of that dating anniversary. It was so special for such a long time, it’s hard to watch that go and start with a new small number. :) hehe!