An Early Christmas Gift

So on Saturday, I ended up getting a text from my friend Heather while I was at work, saying that she was going to be stopping by with a Christmas gift for Cody.

A Christmas gift for Cody? Really? My cat?

Sure enough, a little while later she stopped by and handed me this grocery bag. At first, I was a little confused, but upon first glance, I immediately knew what it was.

Can you tell what it is yet?

It’s a lifetime supply of fetch toys!

Heather said she ended up coming across these recently and knew that Cody would love them (will he ever!). The only thing we have to do is rip the pull tab off of the main jug top, but other than that, Cody is pretty much set for life.

As soon as I ripped the first one off, he knew exactly what it was and was ready for some play time.

As always, it only took a few rounds before he called it quits…I’m sure he’ll be back at it in a few hours when I hear the inevitable “kerplunk” of it next to my feet.

Needless to say, he’s very lucky to have such cool people in his life.

I was in the mood for a salad today. Well actually, I was really in the mood for broccoli cheddar soup from Panera, but that wasn’t happening so I stuck the next best thing.

It’s much easier to make salads when I’m at home and not rushed for time, so I decided to take advantage today and used up some veggies that were on their last leg.

Spring mix, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, baby carrots, red onion, dried cranberries, and crab meat, all dressed up with some Newman’s Own Light Caesar dressing.

On the side, I also had an apple, plus an unphotographed handful of Wheat Thins and a dark chocolate Adora disk.

Time to get back to work, folks!

Question for the Afternoon:

Were you/are you ever allowed to open any “early” gifts or do you usually wait for the big day?

Growing up, my brother and I were each allowed to open one present on December 23rd (I’m sure it was more for our parents’ sake than ours, as we were probably driving them up a wall with our excitement). It was something we always looked forward to!

Aw that was so nice of your friend!! Real friends love our pets as much as we do right? Haha ;). I should try getting some of those for my kitten Zoey to try- I’m sure she would love them! We don’t generally open presents early unless you count our celebration on Christmas Eve with my extended family on my mom’s side!
    Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Holiday Comforts

that’s so cute and thoughtful! i bet cody was thrilled!!!

we usually open whatever gifts we have at our apartment on christmas eve, then on christmas day we go to my sister’s house to watch my nephew open gifts, and there’s usually more gifts to open there too! =)
    erica recently posted..OTV and video confessions

We were allowed to open a gift on Christmas Eve. Nothing before that. Those gifts were usually pjs.

Cody must be in Heaven! lol Our cat has figured out how to get the tissues out of the box and likes to decorate the house. :)
    Ashlee recently posted..Happy December!

Aww I always love getting my sister’s cat a little present for Christmas.
    We usually open one present on Christmas Eve (usually I am told what to open). However, one year my sister told me to open this squishy package and it ended up being socks. Let’s just say I was not a happy six year old.
    Bethany @Bethany’s Befuddled Brain recently posted..Running for Arthritis

benson is jealous.
    have i yet told you about Catland?
    We are making a gigantic cat castle out of boxes. there are tunnels. and windows. and catnip. and balls with bells in them. And I may have written “benson lives here” and “the kingdom of meow,” as well as other similiar decoration phrases, on the boxes with colorful sharpies.

yeah. he may be spoiled. maybe.
    Heather recently posted..December of Awesome

• Courtney says

You are kidding me?!?
      Actually, I know you are not because this is Heather being Heather, which is why I love you. :)
      That being said, I need to see this cat castle. Maybe Cody can come over for a play date?

Lucky Cody!! Though my cat hates toys that are meant to be cat toys. She only enjoys random things like cardboard boxes, packing peanuts, and my clothes (to lie on.) Silly cats.
    I also got to open one early Christmas present when I was younger, too! Actually, Shane also always lets me open one early! haha

We never opened gifts up early ~ between going to grandparents’ houses on Christmas Eve, we had plenty of giftage! However, my birthday is on December 22, and my sister just told me that she’s planning to give me my present this week; not sure if there’s a specific reason (I’m assuming there is!), but I”m also not sure how I feel about that! We’ll see how it goes down 😉
    Katie recently posted..A Little Holiday Whimsy

8. Laura says

it just so happened that our dating anniversary became our wedding anniversary! We started dated May 21, 2005 and got married May 21, 2011 :)

9. Shannon says

Whoops- ignore that comment above. I clicked submit a tad too early.

We open presents on Christmas Eve. It’s much easier than on the actual day…and shortens the suspense of what we got from Mom and Dad.

How was the crab/Cesar combo? It sounds like something I would like! Around Christmas I am *always* the one who is stressing opening presents early :-) To my dismay, it never comes true…sigh. One can dream!!
    Claire recently posted..Full Speed Ahead!

11. Michelle B. says

We never opened early gifts and believe it or not, I never have wanted to! Even when someone offers me a gift before an occassion (meaning Christmas or my birthday) I always ask if I can wait until the REAL day to open it. I just love the anticipation :-) My dad is the same way. My mom, on the other hand, is someone who will try and figure out where you have her gift hidden!

The earliest my family ever opens gifts is Christmas Eve, which really isn’t early at all. Our Christmas Day tradition was that we always went to church as a family before having lunch and opening gifts together, but my parents always let us ‘open’ our stockings before church, and to us that was SO exciting!
    Danica @ It’s Progression Not Perfection recently posted..First-time Flyer

My sister and I got to open 1 present after church on Christmas Eve
    (we still do, actually, and we’re 25 and 26 respectively!) We always got/still do get matching Christmas pajamas to wear to bed.

When I was little, my family and I always opened all of our gifts but one on Christmas Eve night. Now? We save for Christmas day. So much more fun that way!
    I have one cat who also plays fetch! His object of choice? Hair bows! Oh, and he also has a fondness for blush brushes :)

15. Amanda says

That is so funny, my cat Peyton loves those pull tabs he is picks it up in his mouth and walks around howling then proceeds to play with it. My other cat Harry is obsessed with bottle caps he leaves them in our beds, when we pull the covers back there are usually 3 in our beds, and when I open a carbonated beverage he comes running when he hears it

16. Selma Francis says

Now I prefer waiting until the actual “big day” because I love surprises! I guess we bothered the heck outta our parents when we were little, and they caved.
    Selma Francis recently posted..Cancer Tattoos Tumblr

17. Marci Cleveland says

That is so sweet and awesome of your friend Heather. It’s much easier than on the actual day…and shortens the suspense of what we got from Mom and Dad. And I may have written “benson lives here” and “the kingdom of meow,” as well as other similiar decoration phrases, on the boxes with colorful sharpies. Even when someone offers me a gift before an occassion (meaning Christmas or my birthday) I always ask if I can wait until the REAL day to open it.
    Marci Cleveland recently posted..Swiffer Mops