An Early Christmas Gift

by Courtney on December 5, 2011

So on Saturday, I ended up getting a text from my friend Heather while I was at work, saying that she was going to be stopping by with a Christmas gift for Cody.

A Christmas gift for Cody? Really? My cat?

Sure enough, a little while later she stopped by and handed me this grocery bag. At first, I was a little confused, but upon first glance, I immediately knew what it was.

Can you tell what it is yet?

It’s a lifetime supply of fetch toys!

Heather said she ended up coming across these recently and knew that Cody would love them (will he ever!). The only thing we have to do is rip the pull tab off of the main jug top, but other than that, Cody is pretty much set for life.

As soon as I ripped the first one off, he knew exactly what it was and was ready for some play time.

As always, it only took a few rounds before he called it quits…I’m sure he’ll be back at it in a few hours when I hear the inevitable “kerplunk” of it next to my feet.

Needless to say, he’s very lucky to have such cool people in his life.

IMG_8141-2

Lunch

I was in the mood for a salad today. Well actually, I was really in the mood for broccoli cheddar soup from Panera, but that wasn’t happening so I stuck the next best thing.

It’s much easier to make salads when I’m at home and not rushed for time, so I decided to take advantage today and used up some veggies that were on their last leg.

Spring mix, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, baby carrots, red onion, dried cranberries, and crab meat, all dressed up with some Newman’s Own Light Caesar dressing.

On the side, I also had an apple, plus an unphotographed handful of Wheat Thins and a dark chocolate Adora disk.

Time to get back to work, folks!

Question for the Afternoon:

Were you/are you ever allowed to open any “early” gifts or do you usually wait for the big day?

Growing up, my brother and I were each allowed to open one present on December 23rd (I’m sure it was more for our parents’ sake than ours, as we were probably driving them up a wall with our excitement). It was something we always looked forward to!

1 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss December 5, 2011 at 2:07 pm

haaha. Chloe is the same way with her propel bottles! why is it that pets seem to like the recycled gifts the most?
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..Reduced Sugar Snickers Cookie Bars

2 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health December 5, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Aw that was so nice of your friend!! Real friends love our pets as much as we do right? Haha ;). I should try getting some of those for my kitten Zoey to try- I’m sure she would love them! We don’t generally open presents early unless you count our celebration on Christmas Eve with my extended family on my mom’s side!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Holiday Comforts

3 Lena @ Fit on the Rocks December 5, 2011 at 2:13 pm

What a thoughtful gift for your cat! That’s so funny that you now have a crazy supply of his favorite toy lol. My family usually doesn’t open gifts early, but my siblings and I bought our mom a new sofa this year, and we can’t really hide that.
Lena @ Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Long Run Sundays: Winter Blues + Awards

4 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries December 5, 2011 at 2:13 pm

As a kid, we were allowed to open one gift on Christmas Eve. Now I prefer waiting until the actual “big day” because I love surprises! The excitement of opening gifts makes me happy. :)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Four Fun Facts

5 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat December 5, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Looks like a lovely salad – I’m the opposite and usually only eat salads away from home, when I don’t have to be bothered with all the chopping!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Miscellaneous Monday

6 erica December 5, 2011 at 2:30 pm

that’s so cute and thoughtful! i bet cody was thrilled!!!

we usually open whatever gifts we have at our apartment on christmas eve, then on christmas day we go to my sister’s house to watch my nephew open gifts, and there’s usually more gifts to open there too! =)
erica recently posted..OTV and video confessions

7 Hope December 5, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Aww..so nice of your friend! I bet Cody is a very happy kitty!

That salad looks delicious :) Plus, you saved money by not going to Panera.
Hope recently posted..An Italian Filled Weekend…

8 Ashlee December 5, 2011 at 2:35 pm

We were allowed to open a gift on Christmas Eve. Nothing before that. Those gifts were usually pjs.

Cody must be in Heaven! lol Our cat has figured out how to get the tissues out of the box and likes to decorate the house. :)
Ashlee recently posted..Happy December!

9 Bethany @Bethany's Befuddled Brain December 5, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Aww I always love getting my sister’s cat a little present for Christmas.
We usually open one present on Christmas Eve (usually I am told what to open). However, one year my sister told me to open this squishy package and it ended up being socks. Let’s just say I was not a happy six year old.
Bethany @Bethany’s Befuddled Brain recently posted..Running for Arthritis

10 Heather December 5, 2011 at 2:36 pm

benson is jealous.
have i yet told you about Catland?
We are making a gigantic cat castle out of boxes. there are tunnels. and windows. and catnip. and balls with bells in them. And I may have written “benson lives here” and “the kingdom of meow,” as well as other similiar decoration phrases, on the boxes with colorful sharpies.

yeah. he may be spoiled. maybe.
Heather recently posted..December of Awesome

11 Courtney December 5, 2011 at 3:49 pm

You are kidding me?!?
Actually, I know you are not because this is Heather being Heather, which is why I love you. :)
That being said, I need to see this cat castle. Maybe Cody can come over for a play date?

12 Natalie @ hellonatalie December 5, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Haha, my kitten plays with those too! And hairties!! She literally will nibble at my wrist if I have one around my wrist when I’m sleeping and try and pull it off!

13 Socal Rachel December 5, 2011 at 2:53 pm

That is so sweet and awesome of your friend Heather.
Socal Rachel recently posted..Cranky New Years Eve in Barcelona

14 Paige @ Running Around Normal December 5, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Lucky Cody!! Though my cat hates toys that are meant to be cat toys. She only enjoys random things like cardboard boxes, packing peanuts, and my clothes (to lie on.) Silly cats.
I also got to open one early Christmas present when I was younger, too! Actually, Shane also always lets me open one early! haha

15 TheBloggersBrother December 5, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I always seemed to pick socks or underwear on December 23rd :(

16 Courtney December 5, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I remember opening a hat, scarf, and gloves set one year. It was purple with pink flowers. Guess I made out better than you did. ;)

17 TheBloggersBrother December 5, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I vividly remember opening socks and underwear 3 years in a row

18 Tina @ Best Body Fitness December 5, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I had a salad and an apple and a mug of tea for lunch today. Totally hit the spot. although now some chocolate sounds mighty fine too. ;)

19 Lindsey December 5, 2011 at 3:14 pm

We always open one gift on the 24th while watching a Christmas movie but that is all we get ;)

20 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles December 5, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Perfect gift for the whole family <3
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..December? Bring on the… **Candy Cane Dip**

21 Kate @Pastafreerunner December 5, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I love that my cat isn’t the only one who loves the weirdest toys! Her favorite is twist ties, which unfortunately could hurt her, so she never gets to play with them. I’ll have to try the bottle top though!
Kate @Pastafreerunner recently posted..The Black Hole

22 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile December 5, 2011 at 3:48 pm

That’s a great idea for cat toys! We used to always open one up after church on Christmas Eve :)
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..Spill the Surprise

23 Katie December 5, 2011 at 3:53 pm

We never opened gifts up early ~ between going to grandparents’ houses on Christmas Eve, we had plenty of giftage! However, my birthday is on December 22, and my sister just told me that she’s planning to give me my present this week; not sure if there’s a specific reason (I’m assuming there is!), but I”m also not sure how I feel about that! We’ll see how it goes down ;)
Katie recently posted..A Little Holiday Whimsy

24 Laura December 5, 2011 at 3:58 pm

it just so happened that our dating anniversary became our wedding anniversary! We started dated May 21, 2005 and got married May 21, 2011 :)

25 Katie December 5, 2011 at 4:00 pm

That’s awesome ~ I love those stories <3
Katie recently posted..A Little Holiday Whimsy

26 Jess@atasteofconfidence December 5, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Haha how funny. We get one present on the 24th at a family party, but thats it!

27 Kristen @ notsodomesticated December 5, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Hahaha what a funny gift!! Hilarious!

I was always allowed to open up a gift on Christmas Eve. It was a great tradition for an impatient child like me! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Spending money motivates me to run.

28 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake December 5, 2011 at 4:52 pm

My mom actually let me have my spin shoes on Saturday when she bought them for me! Yay!

29 Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life December 5, 2011 at 5:06 pm

That’s such a cool gift from your friend!

Our family always opens one present the night before Christmas. I guess we bothered the heck outta our parents when we were little, and they caved. The tradition stuck, and we still do it!
Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life recently posted..A Christmas-Themed Weekend

30 Shannon December 5, 2011 at 5:06 pm

We o

31 Shannon December 5, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Whoops- ignore that comment above. I clicked submit a tad too early.

We open presents on Christmas Eve. It’s much easier than on the actual day…and shortens the suspense of what we got from Mom and Dad.

32 Elizabeth @TheBareMidriff December 5, 2011 at 5:37 pm

That is so cute! I love that cats invent toys out of the most mundane things. One of my cats plays fetch with Q-tips (after the cotton has been removed from the ends)!
Elizabeth @TheBareMidriff recently posted..Getting Fried

33 Alexa @ Simple Eats December 5, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Cody’s such a little cutie! We were always allowed to open one gift on Christmas eve…I was always more excited for the stocking in the morning, though!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Christmas Cake Balls

34 Claire December 5, 2011 at 6:51 pm

How was the crab/Cesar combo? It sounds like something I would like! Around Christmas I am *always* the one who is stressing opening presents early :-) To my dismay, it never comes true…sigh. One can dream!!
Claire recently posted..Full Speed Ahead!

35 Michelle B. December 5, 2011 at 7:15 pm

We never opened early gifts and believe it or not, I never have wanted to! Even when someone offers me a gift before an occassion (meaning Christmas or my birthday) I always ask if I can wait until the REAL day to open it. I just love the anticipation :-) My dad is the same way. My mom, on the other hand, is someone who will try and figure out where you have her gift hidden!

36 Danica @ It's Progression Not Perfection December 5, 2011 at 8:36 pm

The earliest my family ever opens gifts is Christmas Eve, which really isn’t early at all. Our Christmas Day tradition was that we always went to church as a family before having lunch and opening gifts together, but my parents always let us ‘open’ our stockings before church, and to us that was SO exciting!
Danica @ It’s Progression Not Perfection recently posted..First-time Flyer

37 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine December 5, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Mmm crab on your salad? I’m interested in trying this.
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Bacon, Balsamic Onion and Vermont White Cheddar Paninis

38 Alicia F. December 5, 2011 at 9:46 pm

How cute! My cat is obessed with bells from the tree, he acts like a baby kitten when he sees it and swats it around like a soccer ball. It is the cutest thing!
Alicia F. recently posted..It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas…

39 Marykate Sinnott December 5, 2011 at 10:05 pm

My sister and I got to open 1 present after church on Christmas Eve
(we still do, actually, and we’re 25 and 26 respectively!) We always got/still do get matching Christmas pajamas to wear to bed.

40 Khushboo December 5, 2011 at 11:38 pm

I used to always open gifts early but then come Christmas, it would be so anticlimatic…hence why I won’t allow myself to anymore even if the anticipation drives me nuts!
Khushboo recently posted..Meatless Mondays

41 Jessica @ The Process of Healing December 6, 2011 at 12:11 am

When I was little, my family and I always opened all of our gifts but one on Christmas Eve night. Now? We save for Christmas day. So much more fun that way!
I have one cat who also plays fetch! His object of choice? Hair bows! Oh, and he also has a fondness for blush brushes :)

42 Amanda December 6, 2011 at 12:13 am

That is so funny, my cat Peyton loves those pull tabs he is picks it up in his mouth and walks around howling then proceeds to play with it. My other cat Harry is obsessed with bottle caps he leaves them in our beds, when we pull the covers back there are usually 3 in our beds, and when I open a carbonated beverage he comes running when he hears it

43 Selma Francis December 9, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Now I prefer waiting until the actual “big day” because I love surprises! I guess we bothered the heck outta our parents when we were little, and they caved.
Selma Francis recently posted..Cancer Tattoos Tumblr

44 Marci Cleveland February 20, 2012 at 12:24 am

That is so sweet and awesome of your friend Heather. It’s much easier than on the actual day…and shortens the suspense of what we got from Mom and Dad. And I may have written “benson lives here” and “the kingdom of meow,” as well as other similiar decoration phrases, on the boxes with colorful sharpies. Even when someone offers me a gift before an occassion (meaning Christmas or my birthday) I always ask if I can wait until the REAL day to open it.
Marci Cleveland recently posted..Swiffer Mops