Uncle Sam’s Crispy Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies

by Courtney on December 6, 2011

So yesterday, I got a little creative in the kitchen. As it turns out, that creativity paid off in a big way…in the form of some pretty amazing cookies.

I noticed last week that Attune Foods was having a recipe contest for December, with the challenge of making an original homemade gift recipe, using one of their products.

Lucky for me, I realized that I had a fresh box of Uncle Sam Strawberry Cereal in my pantry, so I decided to play around with that.

Since I know that Attune is passionate about using pure, wholesome ingredients, I did my best to incorporate some better-for-you ingredients. No matter how you swing it, a cookie is a cookie; but that doesn’t mean that you can’t try to use some healthier fats, such as the canola oil and dark chocolate that are seen in this recipe, along with the addition of the cereal for some added fiber. Also, make sure not to skip out on the almond extract; it gives the cookies their unique flavor!

Since this month’s challenge was for a homemade gift, that only further convinced me to go the cookie route. I mean really, who doesn’t enjoy getting cookies as a gift, right?

To turn cookies into a gift is easy peasy; tie them up in a pretty holiday ribbon, add a bow, use some nice, festive packaging, and maybe even add in a holiday-themed recipe card.

These cookies are the perfect combination of chewy cookie + crispy insides, thanks to the crunchy cereal pieces throughout the cookie. The texture is very reminiscent of what you’d expect from adding crispy rice cereal, which has always been one of my favorite cookies that my mom makes.

They’re definitely a “winner” – well, in my opinion at least. ;)

“All statements about Attune Foods, its products, or the Cooking Challenges Recipe Contest are my own. This post is part of- and made as a condition to- my entry in the Attune Foods Cooking Challenges Recipe Contest.”

1 Hope December 6, 2011 at 1:18 pm

These cookies look and sound delicious! :) I love that you used cereal in them! That is such a great idea! I love packaging too. Super cute.
Hope recently posted..A Mexican Inspired Evening…

2 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life December 6, 2011 at 1:23 pm

These cookies looks super yummy! I’m imagining they taste a bit like chocolate covered strawberries because of the cereal and chocolate chips. I’m actually putting my baking skills to good use this year and baking some cookies to give as gifts. Everyone always raves about my baking so might as well gift it, right?
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Sushi, Shopping and Studying

3 Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life December 6, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Cereal in a cookie; who would’ve thunk it!? Very creative!
Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life recently posted..A Christmas-Themed Weekend

4 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill December 6, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Adding a crunchy cereal to cookies is my favorite!!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Stylish Looks for the Winter

5 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles December 6, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Yumm! Yumm! ….I love creating something of MY OWN! I love to call it mine. Posessive much?! Ha!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Today is…… Bathtub Party Day!?!

6 Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony December 6, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Love dark chocolate chips! Looks great! :)
Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony recently posted..20 Days of Christmas

7 Clare @ SweetnSimple December 6, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Yum! These look beautiful – love how you put the ribbon around them :)

8 chelcie @ chelcie's food files December 6, 2011 at 7:14 pm

cereal in a cookie! that’s so cool! I definitely want to give these a try!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..How to make the best egg-white wrap EVER

9 Khushboo December 6, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Delicious cookies! Love Attune’s commitment to promoting a healthier well-being!
Khushboo recently posted..Meatless Mondays

10 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga December 11, 2011 at 12:06 am

yum these look great! and i love how you tied them in a ribbon…so pretty :)