Full Body Circuit Workout

by Courtney on December 8, 2011

So this morning, I was planning on heading out to BodyPump like I usually do on a Thursday morning. But then I looked outside, saw that all of this had happened, and realized I was feeling too lazy to go and brush off my car.

Yes, too lazy. The one who’s up at 5:00am for her workout…

So I nixed the gym and decided to stay home, but really, isn’t the snow pretty? I am TOTALLY in the holiday spirit now!

Since I decided to stay at home instead this morning, I figured that I’d complete my own little full body circuit workout at home. It was actually pretty fun AND I was able to catch up on the morning’s news, too. Winking smile

full body circuit workout
Pin It

*In case you’re unsure of any of the moves above, here are some videos you can check out:

You’ll notice that for this circuit, I did the full amount of reps for the first exercise and then moved on to the chest, shoulder, and so on until I got to the bottom of the list. Once I finished 1 full set of reps for each of the moves, I started back at the first exercise and ran through all of the exercises again, doing two more sets. This method of resistance training is what is known as Vertical Loading.

Vertical Loading, according to NASM, alternates body parts trained from set to set, starting from the upper extremity and moving to the lower extremity (the exception here is the abs, which I just added at the end).

Vertical Loading is very beneficial for allowing maximum recovery to each body part while minimizing the amount of time wasted (as opposed to Horizontal Loading, which involves performing all sets of an exercise before moving on to the next, causing excess rest time). Plus, by doing the workout in a circuit style, you minimize rest periods and keep the heart rate up.

And there’s your daily dose of my NASM study material for today. Winking smile

*****

Breakfast

Okay, I can’t stay away from this bread. I really can’t.

This morning, I lightly toasted two more pieces of my Cinnamon-Hone Whole Wheat Bread and topped it with some Cinnamon Raisin Swirl PB, banana slices, and chia seeds. Delicious.

Of course, I also enjoyed my morning mug-o-joe, which is reflecting a very nice snow-covered tree. Smile

Alrighty, gotta run…Happy Thursday!

Questions for the Morning:

What kind of resistance training method do you prefer: vertical loading or horizontal loading?

What’s one thing that you’re super lazy about?

“Inspired to start personal training for a living? I should hope so! Click here for fitness instructor courses

1 Blog is the New Black December 8, 2011 at 8:49 am

Jealous! No snow here yet…

2 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat December 8, 2011 at 8:52 am

Those photos make me chilly! We had our first snow flakes yeterday, but then it turned to rain so nothing stuck to the roads. Not looking forward to heavy snow!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Lightened Up – Sweet and Savory Pumpkin Butter Crepes

3 Khushboo December 8, 2011 at 8:59 am

Just to clarify: supersets would kinda be an example of vertical loading, yes? I too prefer this style of training: much more efficient!
Khushboo recently posted..Checking it twice

4 jen December 8, 2011 at 9:02 am

I skipped the gym this morning also, but now I have to go outside in that for a run this afternoon …bleh
jen recently posted..Chocolate and Yoga

5 Hope December 8, 2011 at 9:05 am

The snow looks so pretty!! :) We didn’t get any snow here. For the past couple of days it has been raining like crazy. Today is our first rain-free day in a while.
Hope recently posted..A Free Dinner Kind Of Evening…

6 Mindy December 8, 2011 at 9:06 am

This is a great circuit workout! I will have to give it a try. I totally feel ya on being too lazy in the snow!

7 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile December 8, 2011 at 9:22 am

Soooooo jealous of the snow! It’s so gorgeous :D I definitely prefer vertical loading. It’s much more fun that way and goes by super fast!

8 Krissie J @ A Philly Nerd Girl December 8, 2011 at 9:24 am

Since I tend to go to the gym in the evenings, it’s easier to do horizontal loading instead of vertical. Once you claim a piece of equipment, it’s easier to just bust out all the sets since getting could mean a long wait the next time you try to go back to it.

I’m jealous of all the snow you have!!
Krissie J @ A Philly Nerd Girl recently posted..Seven Things to Remember

9 Courtney December 10, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I agree. Horizontal loading is definitely easier when you’re amidst a bunch of other gym goers!

10 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie December 8, 2011 at 9:28 am

The snow does look pretty!! It always looks pretty when it first arrives, then it becomes a PITA!
alyssa – fashion fitness foodie recently posted..DIY Gifts

11 Courtney December 8, 2011 at 9:31 am

I have been all about the circuit workouts lately! I get sooo bored at the gym if I try to do 3 sets of 8-12 reps. I did an awesome 1000 rep workouts this morning at the gym that I found on pinterest. Pinterest has so many great circuit workout routines!
ps Love the picture of the coffee reflecting the tree!
Courtney recently posted..I do what I want

12 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill December 8, 2011 at 9:34 am

No snow here, yet! I’m extremely lazy about going to the bank. I’m not sure why, but I just hate going there and avoid it at all costs!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Holiday Cards and Crocodile Rain Boots

13 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 8, 2011 at 9:35 am

You’re in the holiday spirit, I’m hoping it melts by the afternoon! haha It does look like we got a little less than you though. I can already see the grass. :)
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Mexican hot chocolate

14 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn December 8, 2011 at 9:42 am

Cinnamon-raisin ANYTHING is simply magical. Even better toasted. Even better with chia seeds.

Don’t you just love the snow?! You have a lot more than we do, ours just kind of flutters and hits the ground and then melts instead of staying there. I’m seriously jeal bells. I want to go skiing!
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Chobani Girl fo Lyfe.

15 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries December 8, 2011 at 9:46 am

Great looking circuit! I prefer vertical loading, but I like to switch it up, so horizontal loading is fun to add in too. Loving your NASM notes! :)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Listening To My Body

16 Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life December 8, 2011 at 9:47 am

Gah…the snow looks SO beautiful. You make our little snow look like a wimp. :-) And I cannot blame you a bit for not wanting to go scrape off that mess….Brrrr!

I am totally clueless about my workout today, so I’m thinking I will try yours!
Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life recently posted..Broken Promise

17 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles December 8, 2011 at 9:55 am

*SNOW* ….I am totally wishing we would get some to make this cold weather a little more tolerable!
I would have stayed at home too! No brushing & scraping for this girl!!!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..The Story of the Princess Band-Aid

18 Lena @Fit on the Rocks December 8, 2011 at 9:57 am

Vertical loading all the way! You can be in and out way faster than sitting there to rest in between all of those sets, which would take foreverrrr. I’m super lazy about doing abs, but I’m trying to work on it. Trying being the operative word.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Surviving the Holidays

19 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life December 8, 2011 at 10:00 am

The snow looks absolutely gorgeous! I love snow, just not in NYC. Before the snow finishes falling is brown and gross. If it stayed looking like that, I’d be a huge fan of snow.
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Some Loves

20 Rachel @ On The Bright Side December 8, 2011 at 10:20 am

There is a huge steep hill right next to my gym and I always dread the first part of my plyo-burn class, because I know he is going to make us run up it at least twice. It’s the type of hill that makes you feel like you’re running in place when you try running up. Haha
Rachel @ On The Bright Side recently posted..If You’re a Sissy and You Know it, Clap Your Hands

21 Brigitt December 8, 2011 at 10:35 am

All we got is rain! I”m thoroughly jealous of your snow. I could use a little something extra to really get me in the holiday spirit. It’s so hard when you sit at a desk and stare at the wall all day!!
Brigitt recently posted..WIAW #46

22 Ruthie Hart December 8, 2011 at 10:37 am

your pictures put a big smile on my face!!!!!!
Ruthie Hart recently posted..Thursday Randoms

23 Heather December 8, 2011 at 10:53 am

thanks for the GREAT circuit work out and explanation. I love that I am already reaping benefits from your career shift :) a great way to balance all the treats I’ll be baking this weekend, no?
Heather recently posted..Oh, Mr. Clause!

24 Courtney December 10, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Absolutely, my friend. Absolutely ;)

25 Lynn December 8, 2011 at 10:56 am

Jealous of how much snow you got! I’m over in Nisky and we have a dusting, but not much more than that. Hoping this is a departure of the unseasonably warm weather into more festive weather… SNOW SNOW SNOW!! I actually love working out in the winter, though if I did it in the morning, snow would probably derail my best intentions ;)

26 Crystal @cuppycakefreak December 8, 2011 at 11:24 am

I am sooo jealous that you have snow!! I am in Chicago and they said theres like a 40% chance it might snow before Christmas! Yikes!! I’m from CA and this is my second winter here so I love the snow and I am excited for it to snow!! It is so pretty and I could sit at the window and just watch it snow forever! I want cold snowy winter weather. Yes I know I am crazy! :)

27 Shannon December 8, 2011 at 11:30 am

Pretty! I wish there was a snow day, but alas, I have to go to school today. Boo. :(

I procrastinate on doing homework on time. I’m pretty good with it this year, but most of the time, I do things at the last minute. Right now, I should be doing Geometry homework but I’m reading your blog instead. :)

28 Cat @Breakfast to Bed December 8, 2011 at 11:32 am

I am ridic lazy about making the bed. I know, I shouldn’t be, but I am.
Cat @Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Fudge You.

29 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health December 8, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Love the NASM facts :). I like to mix things up and sometimes do vertical loading and other times horizontal…gotta keep my body guessing! And your workouts looks great! I love pinning workouts to pinterest now. I’ve started doing that as well!
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..15 Fitness Gifts of Christmas

30 kaliesthoughts December 8, 2011 at 1:39 pm

SO happy you passsed yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kaliesthoughts recently posted..Can I change my perspective on tea?

31 Lindsay Loves Veggies December 8, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I’ve always been more comfortable with vertical loading. I definitely like not having to take long rest periods, since it quickens up the workout. So, yeah, circuits for the win!
Lindsay Loves Veggies recently posted..Natural Beauty: Tom’s of Maine Toothpaste

32 Amanda @ Semi-Health Nut December 8, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Snow is all over here! It snowed last Saturday and it’s snowing again today! It’s super..interesting..watching people re-learn how to drive in the snow each year. I passed about 3 accidents on the way home from class and decided I was going to be “lazy” and reschedule my hair appointment for another night.

I think vertical loading is super efficient, but sometimes when you are at the gym and using machines, it is not very easy to use more than one machine at a time with the weight you like.

Props to you for getting up early to do your workouts! I have always been an afternoon/evening work out girl. ;-)
Amanda @ Semi-Health Nut recently posted..{WIAW #8} Sick Day

33 Michelle B. December 8, 2011 at 6:37 pm

So jealous of the snow! I’m hoping we get a snow day here in Missouri before Christmas.
I’m excited to try the workout! I’m printing it to save in my collection. These are the perfect type of workout for a day when you’re snowed in!
What am I lazy about? Driving anywhere! Right now I really need to go to the library to pick up some workout DVDs on hold, but I have been avoiding it just because I don’t want to drive there.

34 Samantha December 8, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Oh wow, those pictures of the snow are absolutely gorgeous. Sometimes I wish I lived somewhere where it snows just for pictures like that!