Full Body Circuit Workout

So this morning, I completed an awesome Full Body Circuit Workout. I was planning on heading out to BodyPump like I usually do on a Thursday morning. But then I looked outside, saw that all of this had happened, and realized I was feeling too lazy to go and brush off my car.

Yes, too lazy. The one who’s up at 5:00am for her workout…

So I nixed the gym and decided to stay home, but really, isn’t the snow pretty? I am TOTALLY in the holiday spirit now!

Since I decided to stay at home instead this morning, I figured that I’d complete my own little full body circuit workout at home. It was actually pretty fun AND I was able to catch up on the morning’s news, too. Winking smile

full body circuit workout
Pin It

*In case you’re unsure of any of the moves above, here are some videos you can check out:

You’ll notice that for this circuit, I did the full amount of reps for the first exercise and then moved on to the chest, shoulder, and so on until I got to the bottom of the list. Once I finished 1 full set of reps for each of the moves, I started back at the first exercise and ran through all of the exercises again, doing two more sets. This method of resistance training is what is known as Vertical Loading.

Vertical Loading, according to NASM, alternates body parts trained from set to set, starting from the upper extremity and moving to the lower extremity (the exception here is the abs, which I just added at the end).

Vertical Loading is very beneficial for allowing maximum recovery to each body part while minimizing the amount of time wasted (as opposed to Horizontal Loading, which involves performing all sets of an exercise before moving on to the next, causing excess rest time). Plus, by doing the workout in a circuit style, you minimize rest periods and keep the heart rate up.

And there’s your daily dose of my NASM study material for today. Winking smile

Okay, I can’t stay away from this bread. I really can’t.

This morning, I lightly toasted two more pieces of my Cinnamon-Hone Whole Wheat Bread and topped it with some Cinnamon Raisin Swirl PB, banana slices, and chia seeds. Delicious.

Of course, I also enjoyed my morning mug-o-joe, which is reflecting a very nice snow-covered tree. Smile

Alrighty, gotta run…Happy Thursday!

Questions for the Morning:

What kind of resistance training method do you prefer: vertical loading or horizontal loading?

What’s one thing that you’re super lazy about?

“Inspired to start personal training for a living? I should hope so! Click here for fitness instructor courses

Since I tend to go to the gym in the evenings, it’s easier to do horizontal loading instead of vertical. Once you claim a piece of equipment, it’s easier to just bust out all the sets since getting could mean a long wait the next time you try to go back to it.

I’m jealous of all the snow you have!!
    Krissie J @ A Philly Nerd Girl recently posted..Seven Things to Remember

I have been all about the circuit workouts lately! I get sooo bored at the gym if I try to do 3 sets of 8-12 reps. I did an awesome 1000 rep workouts this morning at the gym that I found on pinterest. Pinterest has so many great circuit workout routines!
    ps Love the picture of the coffee reflecting the tree!
    Courtney recently posted..I do what I want

Cinnamon-raisin ANYTHING is simply magical. Even better toasted. Even better with chia seeds.

Don’t you just love the snow?! You have a lot more than we do, ours just kind of flutters and hits the ground and then melts instead of staying there. I’m seriously jeal bells. I want to go skiing!
    Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Chobani Girl fo Lyfe.

4. Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life says

The snow looks absolutely gorgeous! I love snow, just not in NYC. Before the snow finishes falling is brown and gross. If it stayed looking like that, I’d be a huge fan of snow.
    Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Some Loves

All we got is rain! I”m thoroughly jealous of your snow. I could use a little something extra to really get me in the holiday spirit. It’s so hard when you sit at a desk and stare at the wall all day!!
    Brigitt recently posted..WIAW #46

thanks for the GREAT circuit work out and explanation. I love that I am already reaping benefits from your career shift :) a great way to balance all the treats I’ll be baking this weekend, no?
    Heather recently posted..Oh, Mr. Clause!

7. Lynn says

Jealous of how much snow you got! I’m over in Nisky and we have a dusting, but not much more than that. Hoping this is a departure of the unseasonably warm weather into more festive weather… SNOW SNOW SNOW!! I actually love working out in the winter, though if I did it in the morning, snow would probably derail my best intentions 😉

8. Crystal @cuppycakefreak says

I am sooo jealous that you have snow!! I am in Chicago and they said theres like a 40% chance it might snow before Christmas! Yikes!! I’m from CA and this is my second winter here so I love the snow and I am excited for it to snow!! It is so pretty and I could sit at the window and just watch it snow forever! I want cold snowy winter weather. Yes I know I am crazy! :)

9. Shannon says

Pretty! I wish there was a snow day, but alas, I have to go to school today. Boo. :(

I procrastinate on doing homework on time. I’m pretty good with it this year, but most of the time, I do things at the last minute. Right now, I should be doing Geometry homework but I’m reading your blog instead. :)

Snow is all over here! It snowed last Saturday and it’s snowing again today! It’s super..interesting..watching people re-learn how to drive in the snow each year. I passed about 3 accidents on the way home from class and decided I was going to be “lazy” and reschedule my hair appointment for another night.

I think vertical loading is super efficient, but sometimes when you are at the gym and using machines, it is not very easy to use more than one machine at a time with the weight you like.

Props to you for getting up early to do your workouts! I have always been an afternoon/evening work out girl. 😉
    Amanda @ Semi-Health Nut recently posted..{WIAW #8} Sick Day

11. Michelle B. says

So jealous of the snow! I’m hoping we get a snow day here in Missouri before Christmas.
    I’m excited to try the workout! I’m printing it to save in my collection. These are the perfect type of workout for a day when you’re snowed in!
    What am I lazy about? Driving anywhere! Right now I really need to go to the library to pick up some workout DVDs on hold, but I have been avoiding it just because I don’t want to drive there.

12. Samantha says

Oh wow, those pictures of the snow are absolutely gorgeous. Sometimes I wish I lived somewhere where it snows just for pictures like that!