Easy DIY Festive Recipe Cards

by Courtney on December 13, 2011

Let me tell you…I could not WAIT to dig into lunch this afternoon. I was one hungry gal!

I blame it on this morning’s workout.

Lunch today included a big ‘ol mixed veggie salad, which was put together last night. In the mix: Italian lettuces, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, shredded carrots, broccoli, corn, onions, pickles, and dried cranberries. I also ended up tossing in a wedge of The Laughing Cow Swiss Cheese and dressed it up with some tomato-basil vinaigrette. Delish!

I also packed up a couple of snacks today that I knew would pair well with my Cinnamon Raisin Swirl PB: the rest of the carrot that I shredded on my salad + a banana. I actually ended up eating the banana mid-morning and am planning on snacking on the carrot later this afternoon, along with my pear.

After the extra sweets that were consumed yesterday, I’m working hard on refueling with some extra colorful fruits and veggies today!

*****

Easy DIY Recipe Cards

So yesterday, I shared the recipe for the cookies that I made for the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap, but today I’d really like to share a little something else that I sent along with each batch of my cookies.

Festive Recipe Cards!

I know I’ve already shared some of my favorite ways to dress up my baked goods, which briefly touched on recipe cards, but I switched things up a little bit this time. It really only takes a little bit of time to take a regular, ho-hum recipe card, and turn it into a pretty festive card that your recipient will want to keep forever and ever (well, as long as it’s a good recipe, I suppose!). ;)

First, I typed up and printed the recipe, in color, in a simple Word document. I used a text box with the dimensions of 3″ x 5″ so it would mimic the sizes of a true recipe card. I cut them out using a pair of fancy scissors, which gives a nice touch.

Once the recipes were cut, I used some green cardstock to make the background. I only wanted a small border, so I cut out a size that was just slightly larger than the printed recipe.

To attach the recipe to the cardstock, I just use a small piece of tape, but you could also use a glue stick or whatever else suits your fancy.

Tape (or glue) the recipe and ingredients on the front and the directions on the back.

At this point, if you have a laminator, then you have one more step. Slide your recipe cards into a laminating sheet…

…seal ‘em up and trim off the excess laminating sheet.

The last step (whether or not your cards are laminated) is optional depending on how you plan to present your card. But if you plan on attaching it to a gift, then a nice finishing touch would be to poke a hole, using a single hole punch, so you can tie on your recipe card.

Get some curling ribbon, tie it right on, and voila!

You’ve got yourself a nice, festive recipe card. :)

Question for the Afternoon:

What are some of your favorite DIY crafts for the holidays? Feel free to link up any ideas…I’m feelin’ crafty!

1 Hope December 13, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I love those recipe cards! They are such a cute idea! I have those funky scissors. They are the best! I love how the recipe cards look laminated. That is a good idea plus they won’t get ruined while cooking. :)
Hope recently posted..A Trip To The Anderson Show!…

2 Lindsey December 13, 2011 at 1:43 pm

The Christmas countdown I made from Pinterest, just need a frame and holiday scrapbooking paper. I made one similar to this – http://pinterest.com/pin/250020216782747626/
Lindsey recently posted..The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap!

3 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 13, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Very cute idea for the recipe cards! I own not a single piece of colored construction paper, no colored ribbon, fancy scissors or a laminator so mine will be way more lame. haha
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Pomegranate almond bark

4 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn December 13, 2011 at 1:57 pm

So cute! Homemade gifts are actually my favorite thing.
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Five Steps to Stay Fitfluential During the Holidays!

5 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat December 13, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I just participated in a sweet swap and my poor partner is getting my chicken-scratch handwriting on some 3x5s. I’ll never be crafty :)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Spinach, Sugar, Sushi, and Smorgie

6 Brooke @ BittersweetBrooke December 13, 2011 at 2:02 pm

That is such a cute idea! Everytime I give people cookies they ask for the recipe and I never have anything on hand to give (plus in my head I’m thinking was it 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon baking soda hmmmm?).
Brooke @ BittersweetBrooke recently posted..Holiday Giveaway!

7 Olivia @unleashingmymind December 13, 2011 at 3:11 pm

What a great idea for the recipe cards. They look so cute!
Olivia @unleashingmymind recently posted..Puppies!

8 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles December 13, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Can’t beat personal touches like that! CUTE!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..You can’t catch me….. I’m the gingerbread man!

9 Brandi December 13, 2011 at 3:32 pm

What a great idea! They also have the self adhesive laminate at walmart… Just in case you don’t have the machine. Watch our for air bubbles though!

Cookies look yummy!
Brandi recently posted..Very First Post :)

10 Carol @ Lucky Zucca December 13, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I love this idea! I wish I had remembered to put something in with the cookies I shipped out… I shipped them without even identifying myself! Whoops!
Carol @ Lucky Zucca recently posted..Atlanta Underground Market

11 erica December 13, 2011 at 4:33 pm

i am so UNcrafty! lol!
erica recently posted..the holidays…bring it on!

12 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! December 13, 2011 at 4:55 pm

sadly I am not very crafty, but always admire other people’s creativity and craftiness!! :) very cute!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..I Put The Lime In the Coconut…

13 Shannon December 13, 2011 at 6:38 pm

I love that recipe card idea! Thank you for sharing. They are just so festive. :)

14 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 13, 2011 at 6:52 pm

you are much more crafty than me.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..mint chocolate mocha no bake cookies

15 Kim @ The Family Practice December 13, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Very cute recipe cards! I always put together little recipe books for the girls for our Christmas Eve gift exchange – I get little photo albums from the dollar store and then fill them with 3×5 cards with the recipes I’ve done throughout the year. I love your idea of attaching the recipe to the actual baked good! Very cute.

16 Mary @ Bites and Bliss December 13, 2011 at 7:10 pm

CUTE idea!! That’s perfect.
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Can you spot the wildlife?

17 alex December 13, 2011 at 7:40 pm

great job on the recipe cards! you put a lot of effort in and it shows!
alex recently posted..Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Cookies for the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap

18 Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life December 13, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Totally stealing this idea!
Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life recently posted..A Christmas Play

19 Khushboo December 14, 2011 at 12:25 am

I love how nice these look yet seem so easy! I’m sure even my butter fingers can handle this!
Khushboo recently posted..How to enjoy exercise…or at least not hate it!