Nowhere Near Being Done

by Courtney on December 15, 2011

Gosh, today’s lunch was awesome.

Sometimes, a big veggie-packed salad just does it for me, and today was definitely one of those days.

In the mix:

• mixed greens
  • cucumbers
  • grape tomatoes
  • red onion
  • broccoli
  • corn
  • dried cranberries
  • shredded carrot
  • 2 slices chopped deli ham
  • 1 wedge The Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese
  • Tomato-basil vinaigrette dressing
I realized as I was packing my lunch up this morning that all of our mini containers that I usually use for salad dressing were in the dishwasher, so I did the next best thing…put the dressing at the bottom of the salad!
This way, the salad doesn’t get soggy and you have one less dish to wash. And I need to do this more often.

I packed up a few other snacks to bring with me this afternoon, including the rest of the carrot that I shredded into the salad, a pear, and a 100-calorie bag of kettle corn.

You know I love me some kettle corn. :)

And, ummm, pears right now? They are SO good!

I didn’t up packing anything for myself for dinner today, because I was too lazy this morning, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I get out at a decent hour again so I can just eat at home.

****

Quick Update: I finally got my Workouts Page organized today! Now you should be able to navigate through the different workouts a little easier, but I’m still working on going through some older posts to make sure I’ve found them all (there was actually a few that I had forgotten about!).

On another note, I had somewhat of a mini panic-attack this morning when I realized that I technically only have 9 more shopping days until Christmas and I really am nowhere near being done. Nowhere.

Every year I say that I’m going to be in top of it, and every year I inevitably wait until the last week or so. Worst part is…I’m not even positive on everything I need to buy. GAH!

Question for the Afternoon:

When do you usually do most of your holiday shopping? Are you finished yet?

1 Caitlin C. December 15, 2011 at 2:49 pm

That salad looks like the lunch I have every day – always so awesome! I try to do my holiday shopping starting Black Friday and finish ASAP. It usually takes me a few trips. Finished Sunday!
Caitlin C. recently posted..Maybe it’s Maybelline – Giveaway!

2 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries December 15, 2011 at 2:55 pm

i’m loving the looks of your salad! and your salad dressing idea is brilliant! i can’t believe i’ve never tried that before, but now i definitely plan on it. i’m all about not dirtying more dishes!

we usually do our Christmas shopping toward the beginning to middle of December. i just don’t think about it much before then, and i don’t like doing it TOO late otherwise i get stressed and overwhelmed. plus i hate the crowds right before Christmas!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Santa Visited Our House A Little Early!

3 Stellina December 15, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I JUST finished my Christmas shopping! I’m sure you will be fine, just take a day off and finish in one day, that’s what I did! Great idea for the salad, I’m going to have to try that. When you mix it up do you find that all dressing gets somewhat easily dispersed? Or does it tend to stay near the bottom?
Stellina recently posted..25 Holiday Questions

4 Courtney December 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm

As long as ya shake it enough, it’ll get all over everything ;)

5 Andrea @ Onion in My Hair December 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I eat salads constantly for lunch at work out of a pre-packed tupperware.

I’m a little embarrassed that I never thought of that salad dressing trick before – brilliant!

Thanks Courtney!
Andrea @ Onion in My Hair recently posted..What I Learned From My Gym Hiatus & A Gift From Cedar’s

6 Kim @ The Family Practice December 15, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I usually have all my shopping done pretty early because I like to buy stuff over the summer and fall as I see it and think of people rather than buy a present at Christmas time because “I need to” – this year however, I am incredibly far behind. Moving really messed me up.
Oh well, everytime I go shopping for presents it seems to justify treating myself to an eggnog latte :)
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..Shrimp Bisque with Festive Biscuits

7 Brigitt December 15, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Great idea for the salad! I definitely should start doing that. As far as Christmas shopping goes, I did a lot of my shopping online while taking advantage of my Amazon Prime account. It really helped! I only have two more things to buy, and I think I have time to take care of them on Monday night!
Brigitt recently posted..My Morning Coffee

8 Hope December 15, 2011 at 3:03 pm

That salad looks yummy! Putting dressing at the bottom is a great idea! I always bring a separate container with me. I’ll try that next time! :)

I haven’t done any shopping yet! I need to get on that this weekend!
Hope recently posted..Simply Dressed…

9 Candice @ Sailing on Paper December 15, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I’m not even close to being done, either! I’m hoping to cross a bunch of gifts off my list this weekend, though. Yay for procrastination!
Candice @ Sailing on Paper recently posted..#Fitblog Motivation

10 Tina @ Best Body Fitness December 15, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I’m done shopping…but we ONLY buy for the kids. So it’s very easy. I do bake treats for family though so will still have to do that all day Christmas Eve or the day before.
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..Time For Some FUN!

11 Jen@FoodFamilyFitness December 15, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Pickles on a salad are pure magic. I found that out about a year ago and now every salad must have pickles!
Pears are fabulous right now, I can’t get enough of them!!!
Jen@FoodFamilyFitness recently posted..Wicked

12 dee December 15, 2011 at 3:24 pm

This year, I thought I was on top of things! I had bought one gift before thanksgiving even came around! Then I knocked out a few more in early december and chucked then under the tree :) i still have a handful of gifts to buy and I just can’t seem to find them in the stores! Either I’m looking in the wrong places, or I need to give in and find it online..and there are only 9 shopping days left?! This year seems to be flying by! My gosh, thanksgiving was here and gone before I could even take it all in! Phew, thanks for that 9 days left reminder! I gotta get on it!

13 Whitney December 15, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I’m done with my holiday shopping except for my husband! I did most of mine online so it was super easy. Hubs is making it difficult because he claims he doesn’t want anything! grrr! haha :)

14 Darcy December 15, 2011 at 3:31 pm

I usually do most of my Christmas shopping November-ish and I just finished up today when I had some time to shop by myself. I just have some wrapping to finish up with…………
WEll, good luck with your shopping and have a very Merry Christmas!

15 Lena @Fit on the Rocks December 15, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I’m mostly done with shopping, so now I feel like I need to go out and buy more because I usually shop until the stores close on Christmas Eve lol
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Bieber + Shake Weights

16 Chels R. December 15, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Ugh. Me too. I always do holiday shopping at the last minute.

That salad looks yummy! Never put Laughing Cow in my salads before…gotta try that.
Chels R. recently posted..Holiday Style Survey.

17 Heather December 15, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I usually get mine done pretty early, but this year I am stumped on a couple of people! I guess I need to get on that!
Heather recently posted..Toxic

18 Paige @ Running Around Normal December 15, 2011 at 4:19 pm

That’s a really good idea to put the dressing at the bottom of the container. Totally going to steal this :)
Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..Build-A-Booty Workshop

19 chelcie @ chelcie's food files December 15, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I haven’t done any yet! I do most of mine late, because I don’t have anytime during finals at school!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..I’M DONE!

20 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn December 15, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Orville’s kettle corn is my favorite guilty pleasure. Even though it’s not as guilty as dining hall brownies.
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Let Your Light Shine.

21 Angela @ Health, Happiness & Harmony December 15, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I usually do my shopping a couple of weeks before up until a few days before! Almost there……time’s ticking though! :)
Angela @ Health, Happiness & Harmony recently posted..Love Hate Relationship

22 erica December 15, 2011 at 4:59 pm

i’m ALMOST done. but the ones i have left are the ones i’m stumped. i have NO clue what to get!
erica recently posted..lunch bunch

23 Shannon December 15, 2011 at 5:16 pm

My mom usually shops when she finds a great deal on something that one of our family members or friends would like. Our family is all finished with Christmas shopping. YAY!

24 jayme December 15, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Are you able to post that Raspberry Almond Gems recipe? Those look divine!

25 Courtney December 15, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Next week! :)

26 Steph @ StephSnacks December 15, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Nice idea for the dressing! I am going to try that! I am allmooossttt done with my Christmas shopping. Not quite, but nearly. Can’t wait to be all done!
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Christmas Thoughts

27 Kristen @ notsodomesticated December 15, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I’m pretty much done … and I did a lot of shopping online this year. Amazon.com was my best friend. ;) The only people left are my father-in-law and brother-in-law. My husband is supposed to be responsible for handling their gifts, but I’m guessing he may end up needing a little assistance. ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..M&M Cookies Rock.

28 Shelly @ Cake is a Food Group December 15, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I was just thinking about this earlier today. I haven’t even started my Christmas shopping! I thought it was funny because my parents haven’t either. Like parents, like child!
Shelly @ Cake is a Food Group recently posted..Punta Cana, Dominican Republic – The Highlights

29 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake December 15, 2011 at 8:30 pm

I’m in the same boat as you! I NEED to finish on Saturday — for my own sanity. “Inventory” is tomorrow — trying to figure out what else I need, then shopping will commence Saturday afternoon.
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Skinny Chicken Parm

30 Khushboo December 15, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Great idea about the salad dressing! I normally put it in a small container or zip lock baggy but I like this method better! Thanks :)
Khushboo recently posted..No whey!

31 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 15, 2011 at 11:00 pm

I’m not even close to done. The only person I’ve got finished is my mom. I have absolutely no idea what to get the other people (including my husband!) at all! I keep pushing it off and not thinking about it but that is going to seriously come back to haunt me later…
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Coconut cashew crusted salmon

32 Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter December 15, 2011 at 11:24 pm

I try to do it at the first of December, but that never happens! I think I have like two more to get….but still have to wrap everything!
Salad looks yummy!! :)

33 Katie @ Katie Without Restrictions December 16, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I’m so proud of myself ~ this year for the first time EVER I’ve already been 100% done with all shopping and wrapping since yesterday! Usually I’m still scrambling and wrapping on the 23rd… This is so much better! My goal for next year is to be done by Thanksgiving… We’ll see ;)
Katie @ Katie Without Restrictions recently posted..Words of Worth