Do You Love Sweet & Salty?

by Courtney on December 24, 2011

then you better check out this post! Hehe.

Merry Christmas Eve! Hope everyone is feeling nice and festive today…I know I am!

I have a full day ahead of me – lunch at Jay’s aunt’s house, church, and then dinner at my parents’ house – so it’s a good thing I got all of my baking and wrapping done last night.

Speaking of baking…want to see what I made?

The first thing I whipped up (and when I say “whipped up,” I mean it quite literally) were these Toffee Pumpkin Spice desserts. I’ve had a box of Fillo shells lying around since HLS this past August and was determined to use them up.

All I did was prepare a box of Pumpkin Spice pudding mix (the stuff is amazing) as you would for a pie, and topped them with some Heath Bar bits. So simple, it’s scary. Winking smile

The next dessert I made is a little spin-off of my Dark Chocolate Turtle Graham Bars.

A few weeks ago when we were over at our friends’ Cortney & Jim’s for dinner, she had made a batch of these and I just could not keep my grubby little fingers off of ‘em.

Ooo, speaking of fingers. I forgot to show you my latest holiday nails…

Simple and understated. Thanks again, Kelsey! Smile

So anyways, back to these crack bars.

For my friends out there who love a sweet & salty combo, these are totally for you. The bottom is a sleeve of saltines, which are then coated in the same brown sugar and butter mixture as my turtle grahams. That brown sugar and butter is really just a wonderful thing on these. Oh good lord.

Once that part was cooked, I topped them with about 14 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate chips and loaded on the Heath Bar bits.

Can ya tell I’m all about the Heath bars lately? Winking smile

I’m hoping my goodies will be a hit today!

*****

Workout

Knowing full well that my full day ahead of me is also going to include lots of delicious food, I knew it’d be a good idea to start with a workout. Here’s what today’s looked like:

Post-workout, I refueled with some coffee & an egg, cheese, and jam sandwich. Now it’s time to get ready and get festive. It’s Christmas Eve, baby!! Open-mouthed smile

Question for the Morning:

What’s one thing you’re most looking forward to this holiday weekend?

1 Kathryn December 24, 2011 at 10:54 am

Every Christmas Eve, my mom gives one present to the kids. It’s always jammies. Once everyone is in their jammies, we cuddle on the couch while she reads ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas. The on Christmas morning, we wake up and open our stockings while coffee and cinnamon rolls are made. Once that’s all made, we sit down to open presents.

My kids are 3 and 5 this year, so they’re starting to truly be involved in the process, which makes everything even better!
Kathryn recently posted..It’s been a bit

2 Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat it December 24, 2011 at 10:58 am

i LOVE sweet and salty. in fact, i’m just now making some chocolate coconut bars that include crumbled chocolate wafers, pretzels/cracker thins, chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk, and coconut! i cant wait to see how they turn out!!

have a wonderful xmas eve courtney!
Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat it recently posted..Be Kind… to Yourself

3 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn December 24, 2011 at 10:59 am

Ugh, sweet and salty is my THANG. Hello, pretzel M&M’s! Heaven.

I love the nails. I was planning on doing mine a very POP! red, but adding a little pizzazz is such a cute idea!

4 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 24, 2011 at 11:13 am

I’m about to squeeze in a workout too before the festivities begin. I’m sure I’ll be happy about it later after I’m in a sugar coma!
Have a great Christmas!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Christmas cheer

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) December 24, 2011 at 11:27 am

Oh love Heath bars! I’m definitely a salty, sweet fan. Merry Christmas!
Heather (Where’s the Beach) recently posted..Friends, Family, Laughter, Love

6 Hope December 24, 2011 at 11:33 am

All of those treats look delicious! :) I’m most looking forward to spending time with my family and friends.
Hope recently posted..A Holiday Type Dinner…

7 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries December 24, 2011 at 11:58 am

mmm i DO love sweet ‘n salty! your treats you made look delicious! you’re quite the master baker this past week – nice job! i’m most looking forward to our candlelight Christmas Eve service this evening at church and also our Christmas dinner tomorrow night!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..MERRY CHRISTMAS!

8 Chelcie @ Chelcie's Food Files December 24, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I love the sweet and salty combo! Those sound delicious! Merry Christmas eve!

9 Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter December 24, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I love starting my day off with a workout! I think I actually love getting it out of the way…;) I have made those toffee bars with the saltine crackers like 6 times and I have only had it turn out once. I wonder if it has something to do with the temp of the oven??? I love em anyway…:)

I get to spend this whole day with my bestie….eating, working out, laughing, and eating again..

Merry Christmas Eve!
Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter recently posted..It’s Friday!!

10 Kelsey December 24, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I LOVEEEEEEEEEEE your nails!!! :) SUPER CUTE!!! I decorated mine as candy cane nails :)
Kelsey recently posted..The REAL meaning of Christmas

11 Lauren December 24, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Such a great idea to use the Phyllo cups. I was thinking the exact same thing but I prepped mine for mini quiches for Christmas breakfast tomorrow.

Have a wonderful Christmas Eve!!
Lauren recently posted..Friday Favorites

12 Liz @ Tip Top Shape December 24, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Both of those desserts look fantastic!! I love sweet-salty so that last one is right up my alley! I love the holidays, but I have to admit that I always look forward to when they’re over. I’m fortunate enough to see my relatives fairly often (without holidays) and often feel like the actual holidays come with a lot of added pressure. I understand how if you had family flying in or you didn’t see them a lot that holidays would be very special, but for me I prefer the regular ol’ days when I’m with my family.
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Candied Bacon

13 Liz @ Tip Top Shape December 24, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Oh! And Merry (almost) Christmas!! Don’t want to seem like a complete Scrooge here, lol.

14 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake December 24, 2011 at 1:05 pm

My hubby loves Heath bars, so he’d be all about those desserts! Merry Christmas Courtney!

15 Shannon December 24, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Of course your goodies will be a huge hit! You have such baking talent.

I absolutely love those holiday nails. So festive and cute.

I’m looking forward to spending time with my family, eating great food, and opening gifts. However, Christmas isn’t just about the presents; it’s about being together and being thankful for the year.
Shannon recently posted..Happy Holidays vs. Merry Christmas

16 Lena @Fit on the Rocks December 24, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Your desserts are always so drool-worthy. I’m just looking forward to spending time with my family since I don’t get to see them all that frequently. Have a great day!
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Day and Night

17 Kristen @ notsodomesticated December 24, 2011 at 2:07 pm

A friend of mine recently made a similar dessert using Saltine crackers. I couldn’t believe how tasty it was!

I’m looking forward to an afternoon with good food and laughs with family … as soon as my MIL is ready for us, of course. ;) We were supposed to start at 2 … but I’m now waiting around b/c she just changed it to 3 haha! Oh the joys of the holidays! :P

Merry Christmas!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..An easy side dish and a blogger meet-up!

18 Holly December 24, 2011 at 2:27 pm

LOVE how you used up the phyllo shells- how creative of you! I swear I would of never thought of that. & I DO love that pumpkin pudding- so good. I usually put gingerbread cookies in that pudding…but I think the heath bar bits would be even better.
Hope you & your family have a wonderful Christmas Eve :) We are watching bits of the NYJ & NYG game in between the Ravens game..I always think of you :)

19 Mary @ Bites and Bliss December 24, 2011 at 2:42 pm

My boyfriend’s sister made those for Christmas but left out the caramel part. They were delicious..but you’re look SO good!!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..Santa needs his groceries too

20 Melissa December 24, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Merry Christmas, Courtney! Hope it’s a sweet one! XO
Melissa recently posted..And To All a Goodnight!

21 Lee December 24, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Okay I am SUPER envious of your nail beds. Merry Christmas Courtney :)

22 Brittany December 24, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Sweet and salty is the best combo! I made sweet and salty truffles, so good. Merry christmas!!

23 Shari December 24, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Love the nails – the snowflake’s a perfect touch!
Shari recently posted..Tuesday’s Tunes: Holiday Edition.

24 Khushboo December 25, 2011 at 1:19 am

Love the festive nails…almost as much as the sweet and salty combo! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas, Courtney! I’m looking fwd to time with my family and the food coma I am inevitably going to fall into! ;)
Khushboo recently posted..You can always count on Dr. Google

25 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] December 25, 2011 at 1:32 am

cute nails!

26 Shannon from Healthiful Balance December 25, 2011 at 8:08 am

I love the sweet and salty combo! :)

Merry Christmas!
Shannon from Healthiful Balance recently posted..Christmas In Germany

27 Molly December 25, 2011 at 8:34 am

my aunt made those graham cracker bars as well! she said she found the recipe on pinterest!
Molly recently posted..Holiday Junk