Holiday Hangover

by Courtney on December 27, 2011

Well, I’m pretty sure that today is the day where most of us are headed back to reality. Just in case you’ve been away from the computer for a while, here’s what you may have missed on STSL:

Do You Love Sweet & Salty?

Santa Was VERY Good To Me!

Christmas 2011, Part 2

My New Favorite Subject

So as wonderful of a weekend that it was, I’m actually looking forward to getting back to a little bit of normalcy. Mainly, to get back to my regular eating habits and exercise routine.

Now don’t get me wrong; I love the holidays just as much as the next person (probably more so!). But it really is amazing to see just how much of an impact a few days of unreserved eating and no exercise will have on the body. I honestly feel like I have a holiday hangover.

source

For example: I did a quick workout on Saturday and took Sunday off from working out (duh). Over the course of the weekend, I certainly indulged in my fair share of carbs, sugar, and alcohol.

By the time I woke up yesterday, I felt puffy, bloated, lethargic, and just blah. Oh, and the thought of working out? Ughh…I think I would have rather gone and had my teeth pulled. But I still craved carbs and I still craved sweets…a lot.

All of this really just got me thinking about how quickly the body will adapt to not-so-great habits, and I’m pretty sure we’ve all been there. I know, for example, that the more days in a row I take off from working out, the harder it is for me to get back into it. The more sweets I eat, the more I crave them (I still wanted cookies for breakfast this morning!).

Last night going to bed, I knew that the only way to kick my “blah” feeling was to jump right back in the saddle…so that’s exactly what I did!

Workout

First thing this morning, I got up and sweated it out with my High Intensity Circuit Workout. It was probably one of the toughest rounds yet, but it felt so good. Not just for my body, but for my sanity.

Breakfast

Nothin’ like a little egg, cheese, and jam sandwich to kickstart your morning!

I made extra eggs today and ate them on the side, but this sandwich was delicious and exactly what I needed.

Of course, coffee was also necessary, but you probably won’t be seeing this mug for too much longer!

Time to head to work…hope everyone has a great day back (if you’re headed back, that is!).

Questions for the Morning:

Are you suffering from a “holiday hangover?”

Do you notice any differences in how you feel about food and exercise after a few days off from exercise and healthy eating?

1 Shannon from Healthiful Balance December 27, 2011 at 8:55 am

I ate so many sweet treats over the past few days and am excited to get back on track! All I want is fruit, veggies and lots of water! :)

2 Khushboo December 27, 2011 at 8:56 am

I could have written this post- my workout felt terrible yesterday because I was so lethargic from all the weekend eating! I am feeling so much lighter/normal today after 2 days of normal eating and working out. That all being said, I did enjoy all the good food over the weekend :)
Khushboo recently posted..A feAstive Christmas

3 Kristen @ notsodomesticated December 27, 2011 at 9:00 am

After a few days of eating junky foods, I always end up feeling gross and ready to get back to healthy eating! I can’t imagine eating fast food and other junk every day of my life … which is how some people live! I don’t think I’d have ANY energy!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..A Christmas Bingo Game

4 stacey December 27, 2011 at 9:01 am

I feel ya courtney! I just had this discussion with my workout partner this morning. Even though I didn’t by any means OVERindulge in anything. Just a bite of this and that, here and there can contribute. I’m ready to get back on the straight and narrow! I’m best friends with the gas x and pepto today….wooweee…..

5 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction December 27, 2011 at 9:03 am

It’s always so hard for me to get back into a routine too! It’s crazy how just a few days off does that!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Cookie Party!

6 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile December 27, 2011 at 9:04 am

I kept up my exercise throughout the holidays for the most part, but I definitely did eat more sweets than usual. I agree 100% about the more you eat, the more you crave. Whenever I go a little haywire on the sweets, I crave them more than ever!

7 Chelcie @ Chelcie's Food Files December 27, 2011 at 9:04 am

I am definitely suffering from a holiday hangover as well! I’m thinking no more sweets for a while!
Chelcie @ Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..A Very Merry Christmas

8 Sara February 29, 2012 at 7:28 am

hihi.. I think lot of us feel the same when the holidays come :)
Sara recently posted..Military Star Credit Card Payment Online

9 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 27, 2011 at 9:06 am

I totally have a holiday hangover today. I’m ready to get back on track!

10 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life December 27, 2011 at 9:26 am

I’m totally suffering from a holiday hangover. I also caught an awesome cold over the weekend which is making it even worse. That being said, I wouldn’t mind doing Christmas again!

11 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries December 27, 2011 at 9:40 am

i was feeling the same way yesterday! it was so difficult to get myself to do a workout and i craved sweets most of the day. by the end of the day though, i felt so much better after eating lots of greens and getting in a good sweat session. i agree, i’m looking forward to getting back to some “normalcy” in my food & fitness!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Trainer Tuesday: Booty Burnin’ Lower Body Workout

12 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy December 27, 2011 at 9:42 am

Yep, I’m suffering. But…I took a class at the gym last night and did the treadmill before work this morning, so I’m trying to get back on track!

13 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 27, 2011 at 9:43 am

I’m definitely suffering from a holiday hangover. I haven’t worked out since Friday so I can’t wait for a run later today. I refuse to let this happen again next weekend for New Years because it’s just not worth the way it makes you feel!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Eggnog breakfast bake

14 Melissa December 27, 2011 at 9:43 am

Ugh, totally feeling it! And did I need that leftover french toast casserole at 11 o’clock last night??? No, I didn’t. ;) I even ran yesterday, but I still haven’t broken the sugar habit! Today’s a new day–cookies are in the freezer for a later date. Headed to the store to buy something green!
Melissa recently posted..Christmas: The Food

15 Mallory @ Have your cake December 27, 2011 at 9:45 am

oh i totally feel ya, girl. i overindulged for the past few weeks and finally decided that i’m going to try cutting back on sugar — WAY back. no baked goods, no added sugar in my coffee/oats, plain yogurt, no sugars in salad dressings etc… it sounds kind of daunting but i’ve been off of it for 2 days and haven’t craved a cookie or sweet at all! crazy!
Mallory @ Have your cake recently posted..Merry Christmas!

16 nicole@winewalking.blogspot.com/ December 27, 2011 at 9:49 am

I feel the same way about the holidays. I loved it and now I ready to get back into my routine. Lots of water today!
nicole@winewalking.blogspot.com/ recently posted..Half Marathon

17 Shannon December 27, 2011 at 10:03 am

I think I am on a holiday hangover but…school resumes January 3rd, so I don’t need to worry too much yet.

There is definitely a difference of feeling from taking a break of exercising for a few days for everyone. I bet everyone at first is like, “Ugh…do I have to do this?” but after a workout, then we all say “Oh, that wasn’t too bad.”

18 Kelsey December 27, 2011 at 10:04 am

YES! It’s crazy how addicted to that extra sugar I am! I just try to eat extra fiber and filling veggies the few days after to get my body back in sync! :)
Kelsey recently posted..Lazy Day + New Blog Design

19 Steph @ StephSnacks December 27, 2011 at 10:05 am

I definitely suffer from holiday hangover.. especially Christmas! Christmas Eve and Day are really the two days when I allow myself to basically eat whatever I want so by the time the day after Christmas rolls around, I’m not feelin’ so hot. However, a trip to the gym and a salad usually makes me feel better!
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Christmas Success

20 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! December 27, 2011 at 10:10 am

Definitely have a holiday hangover. I always feel so sluggish after excess food and lack of exercise!! :)
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Back to the Grind

21 Ericka @ The Sweet Life December 27, 2011 at 10:24 am

Oh my Lord, I’m having it. I’m trying not to feel bad but it’s hard for me to break the cycle. I kept up my workouts for the most part over break but my food intake was really bad. I haven’t worked out now for 2 days and feel SO unmotivated. I was supposed to get up to work out day but I ended up binging on 2 huge bowls of ice cream last night and had an “ice cream hangover” this morning. I’m back on track today with lots of greens and wheatgrass but it’s a struggle :(
Ericka @ The Sweet Life recently posted..Make Juice Not War

22 Danica @ It's Progression Not Perfection December 27, 2011 at 10:29 am

I know exactly what you mean. My stomach just wasn’t quite right yesterday and working out sounded like just the worst idea I’d every had…it’s crazy what 2 days of no exercise and very different/unhealthier eating does to the body! (I run into the same thing when I travel sometimes). After having a great eating day and a decent workout though, I feel pretty good again today! Hope you do soon too!
Danica @ It’s Progression Not Perfection recently posted..Something to consider…

23 Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter December 27, 2011 at 11:10 am

Loving the photos with the new camera! And yes I am so excited about getting back into some sort of a routine. I kinda feel like I am walking in a fog!
I do notice a difference. When I eat more sugar, I crave it ALL of the time. It’s amazing how our bodies adapt to it’s sorroundings, which includes our food intake. Crazy!
Have a great day!
Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter recently posted..A Merry Christmas in 2011

24 Claire December 27, 2011 at 11:39 am

Sounds like us healthy living bloggers actually suffer the *most* from post holiday hangovers, doesn’t it? I think it’s so alarming how much the sweets, carbs, and alcohol truly can create havoc on those who aren’t used to it! I too feel bloated, and still lethargic after doing my best to only have ONE treat yesterday. I am thankful for the knowledge provided by the blogs I follow to help keep me on track! We will all get there! I will be in the car for the next week moving to Seattle and doing a few other community service things along the way, so I am HOPING I will have time to run wherever we decide to stop…weather permitting! Any travel tips??
Claire recently posted..Workouts…again and today’s plan

25 Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl December 27, 2011 at 11:44 am

Definite Holiday Hangover. And now I am off to go do my HIIT. ;)
Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl recently posted..Will Run for Food

26 Traci December 27, 2011 at 11:46 am

Yes! I see so much of a difference. I had been working out at least 4 days a week until the week before Christmas, when I caught a cold and decided to rest until I felt better. Between holiday plans, getting over my cold, and seeing family, I didn’t make it back into the gym until today. I took a boot camp class and it felt SO good. (I’m taking an extended holiday vacation from work haha)

27 Jana December 27, 2011 at 12:19 pm

It seems like every year at this time my body begins to give me warning signs that it’s had too many sweets and treats! It all starts innocent enough with a cookie here, or a cookie there, but it’s when you eat cookies and pie just because it’s there that youcan have a wake up call. Last night I was polishing off another delicious frosted sugar cookie when half way through I didn’t even know why I was eating it! I was full, tired and just plain exhausted! The trick is definitely to try and listen to what you body is telling you. If it wants a cookie, let it have it! But if you’ve had 10 desserts in the last 3 days, it’s probably time to cool it! :-)

28 Katy @ Shot of Life December 27, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I feel ya! I’m definitely suffering from a holiday hangover, and just feeling overall puffy and bloated. ;-P I’m SO ready for a nice, sweaty workout. Hope you’re feeling better soon!
Katy @ Shot of Life recently posted..Feelin’ It

29 Haley @Fit, Young, and Fabulous December 27, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I just found your blog today and I LOVE it!!! (:

30 erica December 27, 2011 at 2:59 pm

i am totally experiencing the holiday hangover!
i tried to workout last week, but it’s nothing like going to my personal training sessions…and i indulged in a TON of terrible food!

i have my first training session since the holidays and i am expecting it to be brutal!!!
erica recently posted..christmas day part 1: hawaii 5-O edition

31 Kerry @ Half Healthy, Half Nuts December 27, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I am absolutely suffering from a holiday hangover. I feel just like you – overstuffed and lethargic. This morning I eased myself back into workout mode with some yoga. Tomorrow I’m going to try and tackle the meatier stuff – running, elliptical, some kind of cardio. I miss a regular routine.
Kerry @ Half Healthy, Half Nuts recently posted..Like Jello

32 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake December 27, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I definitely sympathize with you on the “holiday hangover” feeling! I’m slowly trying to ween myself off of all the extra treats, but it’s hard when they’re staring me right in the face!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Christmas Re-Cap

33 Karlee @ BringingBackBalance December 27, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Holiday hangovers are painful. I need to clean out all of the bad food, or I am going to eat cream puffs for every single meal! lol
Karlee @ BringingBackBalance recently posted..Luxury Foods

34 Toni @Running, Loving, Living December 27, 2011 at 8:42 pm

I am definitely suffering from a holiday hangover. The Home for the Holidays virtual 10K kicked my butt into gear but I am in vacay mode, so the hubby and I have been eating out a lot. Half marathon training starts in January so I need to get ready! Thanks for a great post!!

35 Ethan Jones December 28, 2011 at 4:46 am

Holiday hangover? hm…most people experienced it but not all of them can handle it well like you. It’s a good plan to get back to our normal habit of eat and workout. You can also consider some of home exercise routine, it’s perfect for busy people.
Ethan Jones recently posted..Exercise Bike Reviews

36 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] December 28, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I definitely had/have a holiday hangover, too – yucky =/
Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] recently posted..my new {running} toy.