Two In The Books

by Courtney on December 27, 2011

Okay…I’ve got two healthy meals in the books for today and I swear I’m already feeling better!

Oh hello there, good lookin’. Winking smile

Last night, I put together a big ‘ol salad to take with me for lunch today. I threw in everything I could find in our veggie drawer:

• romaine lettuce
  • cucumbers
  • grape tomatoes
  • red onion
  • shredded carrots (SO much better than diced, IMO)
  • dried cranberries
  • a wedge of The Laughing Cow Light Swiss Cheese
  • a piece of cubed up grilled chicken
  • Newman’s Own Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing (2 tbsp)

I also packed up a golden delicious apple, some almonds, and an unphotographed Clif Z Bar.

Definitely time to load back up on the good stuff again! I’ve also been chugging water like it’s my job, which is helping a LOT.

Tonight, Jay and I are having company over for dinner (our friends Joe & Kate, who we actually have not seen since Kate’s birthday party!) so I’m pretty excited about that. On the menu: Healthy Baked Chicken Parm with my homemade sauce. I think at this rate, I’m going to turn INTO my homemade sauce pretty soon. Mmmm Mmmm!

Question for the Afternoon:

Do you have a favorite or “signature” meal to make when company is over or when you attend a party?

1 StoriesAndSweetPotatoes December 27, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Yup. Everyone gets veggie enchilada casserole if they come over :)
StoriesAndSweetPotatoes recently posted..How Did I Get Here? – The Sequel

2 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries December 27, 2011 at 1:38 pm

your salad looks delicious!! i’m all about the green lately too – they’re sounding extra wonderful lately after the sugary filled weekend. chicken parmesan sounds delicious! i usually make chicken and black bean enchiladas when we have company over. it’s a meal i’ve mastered that most people enjoy!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Trainer Tuesday: Booty Burnin’ Lower Body Workout

3 Mallory @ Have your cake December 27, 2011 at 1:46 pm

i’ve had some clean meals so far too and feel better already! i can’t wait until my workout later!
Mallory @ Have your cake recently posted..Merry Christmas!

4 Allison @ PickyEatingRD December 27, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I too have been chugging water all day long. my poor body has been a little neglected these past few days. No complaints though it was all worth it!

5 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 27, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I’m all about one pot meals of some sort when company comes over. Less confusion, less clean up and more time with our guests!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Eggnog breakfast bake

6 Lena @Fit on the Rocks December 27, 2011 at 2:05 pm

This might blow up in my face someday, but I love trying new recipes when people come over. I usually stick to my usual stuff when I’m cooking for just me, so it’s a nice change when others come over. So far, it’s been a success 90% of the time. Not bad :P
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Back to Reality

7 Kristen @ notsodomesticated December 27, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I don’t have one signature meal I make, but I like meals that I can mostly make ahead of time and then just throw in the oven, so that I can spend time with guests. Taco lasagna is always a good one … or pork chops that are oven cooked! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..A Christmas Bingo Game

8 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 27, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Whoops! Thanks for reminding me I have to announce MY winner as well! Oh well! I loaded up on a huge salad for lunch today too – it tasted so so good.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..the three days of christmas

9 J @ ... semplicemente j ... December 27, 2011 at 2:23 pm

When I go over to someone’s house I usually take my Red Pepper Jelly/Sauce (do not know how to call it) over cream cheese with crackers … everyone loves it … tomorrow I have dinner at my friend S’s house and I am taking that with my white Sangria … seems to be a crowd pleaser too!
J @ … semplicemente j … recently posted..… OK, I know I am on vacation, but …

10 Jana December 27, 2011 at 2:25 pm

It’s not really considered a meal (although on some occasions it can become one!) but crockpot buffalo chicken dip is always my go to!
Jana recently posted..A New Beginning..

11 Shannon December 27, 2011 at 2:27 pm

My dad usually brings coleslaw and my mom brings brownies to parties or another dessert that would be something different than cookies, cupcakes, etc. One time, she brought her eggnog cake- and let me tell you, that thing is quite tasty. :)

12 Sam December 27, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I usually make scalloped potatoes and cupcakes! But I just got a cake ball pan for XMAS so I’m pretty sure those will be making quite a few appearances, and I can’t wait!
Sam recently posted..Oreo Pee

13 erica December 27, 2011 at 2:54 pm

i have a signature dessert that i always bring, but it’s bought (but good, that i don’t think people mind!) cocoa puffs from liliha bakery :) so good!
erica recently posted..christmas day part 1: hawaii 5-O edition

14 Tina @ Best Body Fitness December 27, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Its amazing how quickly healthy foods can have you feeling better, isnt it? I’m with you! Lots of veggies lately and it feels so nice. :)
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..Do As I Say, Not As I Do

15 Khushboo December 27, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Marinara sauce always seems to find its way on menu- surefire crowd pleaser :)
Khushboo recently posted..A feAstive Christmas

16 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn December 27, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Golden Delicious apples are probably/most definitely my favorite apple. Especially when they soften up a little bit. SO sweet.

My grandma’s homemade sauce is made of fairydust and sprinkles. Swear to God. I love that it keeps the acidity!

17 Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter December 27, 2011 at 4:27 pm

I am so ready to get back to eating normal again. :) Anytime I meet up with friends or have friends over it usually involves chicken.
Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter recently posted..A Merry Christmas in 2011

18 Jen@FoodFamilyFitness December 27, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I am loving that salad! I have also been drinking water like it’s my job and I planned all of my meals for the rest of the week, so I’m all stocked up again. Peace out cookies and mass amounts of sugar butter!!!
Jen@FoodFamilyFitness recently posted..LHS 1998 Cheer Team Reunion

19 Marty December 27, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I usually have finger foods when I have company over, or go to a friends house. I love to make pinwheels (with flavored cream cheeses, spinach, etc), chicken salad with crackers, or homemade hummus.
Marty recently posted..Biscotti Triple Play

20 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and FAbulous December 27, 2011 at 11:16 pm

If it’s an event I’m attending with my husband, he usually requests cake batter cookies, otherwise I usually bring healthified sopapilla cheesecake! :)
Lauren @ Fun, Fit and FAbulous recently posted..Sweet and Delicious Christmas Squash

21 Clare @ SweetnSimple December 28, 2011 at 2:24 am

Your salad looks so fresh and delicious :) I don’t really have a signature meal, I think having people over or going to parties is an opportunity for me to try something new – I definitely do have my favourites though!

22 Shannon from Healthiful Balance December 28, 2011 at 4:12 am

Yummy looking salad! :)
It always feels so good to get in some fruits and veggies after the holidays!
Shannon from Healthiful Balance recently posted..Post Christmas Blues

23 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 28, 2011 at 9:15 am

I haven’t had a salad in far too long. FAR too long. I really need to get to the grocery store!!

I always make my special chocolate cake for company. It’s always a huge hit, and it’s not rare for people to tell me it’s the best they’ve ever eaten!
Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine recently posted..Peppermint Bark