Surprisingly Fantastic

by Courtney on December 28, 2011

Well good morning! How’s everyone doing on this fine Wednesday morning? Good? Super. Then let’s move one – I’ve got lots to share!

Last night, Jay and I had our friends Joe & Kate over. It had been FAR too long, so it was really great to spend the evening with them. For dinner, we had a pretty decent spread…

Kate brought a salad (still workin’ on those veggies)

I made Healthy Baked Chicken Parm, which turned out great. I only had 3 chicken breasts on hand, so I pounded them out and cut each in half. It ended up being more than enough, since everyone only had one half.

To accompany our chicken, I also cooked up some fettuccine, spaghetti squash, my homemade sauce & meatballs, and some “healthier” garlic bread.

I say healthier because rather than buy the store-bought one that’s already loaded with butter, I bought a fresh loaf, and Jay and I took care of the toppings on our own. A little olive oil, garlic, spray butter, seasoning, and parmesan cheese, and we were good to go. Delicious AND a whole lot better than the butter-laden one!

Since we’re super classy, we broke out the TV trays and ate dinner in the living room by the Christmas tree.

I loaded up on some salad, chicken, spaghetti squash, a meatball, and some garlic bread.

I didn’t realize it was almost 8:00pm by the time we ate, so I was a little more than starving. I devoured my whole plate, no problem-o.

For dessert, I put out a plate of the last of our Christmas cookies and fudge. I ended up snagging a few goodies from it – I just couldn’t help it. I need these things GONE!

Definitely a great evening, and a great dinner with great friends. Smile

*****

Breakfast

I was thinking ahead last night and already knew that I wanted some voluminous oats for today. So I prepped a bit then, and finished ‘em up this morning.

Today’s batch was awesome. I prepared my usual oats base (1/3 cup Coach’s Oats, almond milk, water, 1/2 mashed banana, chia seeds, cinnamon) along with some fresh blueberries mixed throughout and on top. A little Love Grown Foods granola sealed the deal.

Today’s coffee was surprisingly fantastic. I say surprisingly because it was Folgers brand. We haven’t bought this brand in years because we thought it was disgusting but ended up acquiring a can of their French Roast and figured we should use it up.

I don’t know…we must have been making it wrong before because this stuff is great – and cheaper. I’ll take it! Winking smile

Alrighty folks, I’ve got my long day of work ahead of me today and I still have a mess of a head of hair to attempt to do something with, so I gotta scoot!

Questions for the Morning:

WOULD YOU RATHER (YES – I’m bringin’ it back today!)…

• Have curly hair –OR- pin-straight hair?
  • Pay to get a massage –OR – pay to get a facial?
  • Pay top dollar for good coffee –OR- good shampoo?

1 Lindsey December 28, 2011 at 9:25 am

I have curly/wavy hair and always wanted straight hair but now that I am older I appreciate it more and love it :)
Massage for sure!
Hmmm…I will have to go with coffee!
Lindsey recently posted..Christmas 2011!

2 Ashlee December 28, 2011 at 9:26 am

That dinner looks yummy :) Are you having fun playing with you new camera? I am loving mine (I got the same one for Xmas). My poor dog is afraid of it thought :/

I would rather:
Have curly hair
Pay for a Facial
Pay for a good shampoo
Ashlee recently posted..Cookie Monday

3 Heather December 28, 2011 at 9:27 am

you are on par with getting the good-stuff (veggies & healthier choices) in your meals! Good work, lady. [I am all for celebrating the smallest healthiest choices the week between christmas and new years, FOR SURE!

I am trying to load up on produce as well. Tonights’ festivities of three mac-n-cheese choices and a pasta dish may or may not put a damper on that goal – though I do have veggies for the pasta and one of the macncheeses is butternut squash, so there’s that. ;)

And I did make BANANA cream pie for dessert….ahem.
Heather recently posted..Tuesday, Monday*

4 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life December 28, 2011 at 9:29 am

I have super straight hair so I’d go for wavy instead of curly.

My dad recently bought Folgers coffee and I was a little disappointed becasue it’s not my usual, but it’s not bad.
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Just Like That

5 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy December 28, 2011 at 9:30 am

Curly hair (that’s what I have!), massage, and good shampoo.

Sometimes cheap coffee tastes the best! I like Folgers brand!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..A Glimpse of Christmas 2011

6 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries December 28, 2011 at 9:36 am

your chicken parmesan looks fantastic!

ohh i love the would you rathers!
i’d rather…
-have curly hair (i do have curly hair, and i’ve finally learned to love it the past couple years)
-pay to get a massage! i loooooove a good massage!
-pay top dollar for good shampoo. i’m totally fine with Folgers!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW {What I Ate Wednesday} #14: Best Meals To Help Cure A Food Hangover

7 Lena @Fit on the Rocks December 28, 2011 at 9:39 am

That chicken parm looks so good. I’ve been craving Italian food like a beast this past week. I would rather have straight hair (my curly-haired friends say it’s easier to curl hair than straighten it), pay for a facial, and buy good coffee.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Holiday Food is Trying to Kill Me

8 Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter December 28, 2011 at 9:44 am

Hmm I have pin-straight hair, but I have also had a (I can’t believe I am going to say this) perm. :) Straight all the way! I guess the question would be, short or long. Short. :)
Since I could give myself a facial, I would go with the massage. :)
I would love to say shampoo, but it would be coffee. I love Dunkin Donuts coffee, but whew! it is so expensive.
Have a great day today! Today is my Friday!! :)
Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter recently posted..Back to the grind

9 Sarah December 28, 2011 at 9:45 am

I would rather….
Have pin straight ( i have curly)
Pay for a facial
Pay for the shampoo

Now all i need is money :)

10 Shannon from Healthiful Balance December 28, 2011 at 9:53 am

Everything looks SUPER delicious!
Shannon from Healthiful Balance recently posted..Post Christmas Blues

11 Mallory @ Have your cake December 28, 2011 at 9:57 am

ahh.. i have straight hair & i’ve always wanted curly. the grass is always greener right?

pay for a facial

pay for expensive coffee. can’t do cheap coffee. ick. and since my hair is so straight, i dont really need expensive shampoo! LOL
Mallory @ Have your cake recently posted..Merry Christmas!

12 briana December 28, 2011 at 9:57 am

I love my pin straight hair and I love my facials! Good coffee is the best and shampoo ehhh who cares :)

13 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 28, 2011 at 10:04 am

Yay for the return of would you rather!
-I had pin straight hair growing up and would’ve said curly in a heartbeat then but now that there’s some wave to it, I would like pin straight back again so I wouldn’t have to blow dry and flat iron it!
-massage
-good coffee. I’ve bought expensive shampoo and it all seems the same!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Raw cherry chocolate hazelnut balls

14 pat December 28, 2011 at 10:17 am

Your dinner looks yummy! I would definitely rather have straight hair, pay for a facial, and good shampoo!

15 Ruthie Hart December 28, 2011 at 10:22 am

I forsee some spaghetti squash in my future!

16 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! December 28, 2011 at 10:22 am

That all looks amazing! Seriously, so so good!
I love all the questions today:
I would rather have straight hair (and I do now), it can be a pain and blah but I am so lazy with doing my hair I can wash and go where I know with curly it is a little more maintenence.
Would rather pay for a massage,
and pay top dollar for a good coffee!

17 Jana December 28, 2011 at 10:26 am

I would rather have curly hair, I think it would be more voluminous and adaptable than straight hair. You would always look like you’re ready for a
Night out on the town! I would rather have a
Massage than a facial because I can always scrub, exfoliate and moisturizer my face, but I can’t reach my back! I would rather pay for shampoo than coffee since having a hood hair day is a great confidence boost, but having great coffee can’t help you in that department.. ;-)
Jana recently posted..Christmas Time is Here…

18 Gillian @ The Greener Bean December 28, 2011 at 11:12 am

I have naturally frizzy, poofy hair… so I would just love my hair to make up it’s mind! I guess I should just be happy that my hair is so versatile and that after a bit of work… it hair can be styled to go either way. I would totally go for the facial… and then throw my frizzy hair up in a bun and enjoy that awesome coffee :)
Gillian @ The Greener Bean recently posted..The Secret Life of Steel Cut Oats

19 Kathryn December 28, 2011 at 11:14 am

I’d love to have curly hair…I have to pay between $60-$100 to have someone make my hair curly.
Massage, definitely.
Coffee
Kathryn recently posted..It’s been a bit

20 Shelly @ Cake is a Food Group December 28, 2011 at 11:44 am

I’d rather have curly hair. It’s so pretty! Mine is wavy (and not cute wavy)… bummer.
Massage – you can do facials at home that are pretty much the same.
The last one is a toss-up for me. I love coffee but don’t drink it everyday. I think I’d still pick coffee. I use salon shampoo that really isn’t that expensive, but it definitely does the job.
Shelly @ Cake is a Food Group recently posted..About a Binge

21 Shelly December 28, 2011 at 11:46 am

Oops – that shouldn’t say Cake is a Food Group anymore. Darn auto fill! :)

22 Shannon December 28, 2011 at 11:53 am

I’d rather have…
pin straight hair than curly
pay for a facial
pay top dollar for good shampoo (I don’t drink coffee)

23 Cait @ Beyond Bananas December 28, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I loved baked chicken parm!

So.. for the hair, I think the grass is always greener on the other side. I have pin straight hair and wish it would at least hold some curl sometimes! I’m sure I would be complaining if i had curly hair though, too!

Massage, Shampoo :)
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..What I Ate in 2011

24 Courtney December 28, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I too am trying to get back on track with the veggies and protein so I in an effort to get the sweets out of the house I brought all my leftover goodies to work to give the other nurses. Unfortunately so did everyone else, and so it was like an unwanted cookie exchange party in the break room!

I have curly hair but I have always wished that it was straight so that I could wake up, brush it, and go. My curls are downright unruly in the morning, so I have to wash my hair every morning and let my hair air dry. Total pain.

I would rather pay for a foot leg rub then a facial or massage.

I would definitely rather pay top dollar for my coffee then my shampoo, although I do splurge on conditioners.
Courtney recently posted..(Not) Sexy and I know it

25 Jessica @ The Process of Healing December 28, 2011 at 12:43 pm

My hair is in between… it’s wavy/frizzy and oh so not attractive. I’d LOVE to have straight hair and not have to straighten it every day.
Jessica @ The Process of Healing recently posted..Coming Soon…

26 Laura @ Unchartered 20s December 28, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I love that entire dinner. It looks simple, and I’m always looking for simple dinner ideas to have friends over!
I would rather
Have curly hair – mine is so straight already and barely holds a curl
Pay to get a massage
Pay top dollar for good shampoo. For all that curly hair i would have.
Laura @ Unchartered 20s recently posted..December Wrap Up

27 Khushboo December 28, 2011 at 1:53 pm

That dinner looks fantastic- so satisfying! I would definitely rather pay for a massage over a facial- the latter can be so painful!
Khushboo recently posted..A taste of my childhood

28 erica December 28, 2011 at 2:39 pm

straight hair! :)
a massage…i so need one right now!
shampoo!
erica recently posted..christmas day part 1: hawaii 5-O edition

29 sarah @ sarah learns December 28, 2011 at 3:59 pm

i would rather have curly hair (i have pin straight hair and it is not fun, pay for a massage, and buy good coffee!
sarah @ sarah learns recently posted..thanksgiving dinner at christmas

30 Amy December 28, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I would rather have straight hair.
Get a massage all day no brainer here!!!
Good shampoo is a must!!

31 VanessaG December 28, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I love would you rather!:
I’d like straight hair