A New Online Fitness Tool

by Courtney on December 29, 2011

Well hey there, my friends. How’s your day going?

Mine’s been quite busy, so I’m a little off-schedule here. I didn’t get a chance to snap any photos of lunch, but I’m sure you don’t mind taking a break from seeing what I chow down on every now and then, right? Ok good.

Instead, I thought I’d use today as an opportunity to share a really cool new site I’ve been checking out. Last week, my friend Theodora got in touch with me to tell me about a new account that she’s working on called DailyBurn.

dailyburn1

(You can see from the screenshot above that I’ve just begun interacting with the site- hence my “couch potato” ranking.) Winking smile

Many of you may already be familiar with DailyBurn, as the site has often been used for tracking workouts and food. Recently, however, they came out with a new system known as Intelliburn, which is basically a fancy algorithm that designs a fitness program for you based on questions such as:

• which trainers elicit the best personal performance
  • which workouts you enjoy most
  • time lapse between workouts and muscle groups recently trained
  • your ailments
  • the sports you like

These questions are answered when you first sign up and fill out a quick questionnaire about things such as workout history, habits, and goals.

dailyburn

One thing that’s really cool about the questionnaire is that your answers aren’t set in stone. So if you want to play around with the type of workouts it will give you, you can go in and change your answers in the questionnaire (i.e., telling it you’d rather work out longer/shorter or that you prefer different kinds of workouts, etc.).

So once you choose your workout preferences, you are given a fresh set of workouts to choose from (today’s workout was “Box & Burn”). Each of the workouts provided on the site are performed by one of the trainers from their team known as the DB6.

I liked the fact that they include both men and women trainers; depending on my mood, I might prefer one over the other. So far, I’ve reviewed probably three different workouts, and they all seem awesome – they don’t mess around!

In addition to the workout portion of the questionnaire, there is also a nutrition section, which asks you questions about how you eat.

dailyburn2

From there, it gives you basic meal and snack ideas, as well as some recipes.

dailyburn3

The nutrition section of the site hasn’t totally “wowed” me yet, but I still want to play around with it some more.

The system has been designed so you can access your account from pretty much anywhere; in addition to viewing on a PC/Mac, and/or TV, there are also apps for the Android, iPhone, and iPad.

The cost of the new site is currently $9.99/month (which recently dropped from $29.99/month) so I think this could be something to consider for someone who perhaps doesn’t want to pay the extra money for a gym membership, but may need a little extra support/motivation. In addition to all of the workouts and nutrition advice, there’s also a pretty nice community where members can ask questions and discuss things with other members.

stars Overall, I give it 3.5 out of 5 Courtney-Approved Stars. Winking smile

Question for the Afternoon:

Do you think a site like DailyBurn is something you would ever try out?

Disclaimer: I was provided with a free trial of DailyBurn so that I would be able to interact on the site more and provide firsthand feedback.

1 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn December 29, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Awgh. I’m a fan. I found another one and dropped it on Twitter today!

2 Shannon December 29, 2011 at 4:25 pm

DailyBurn actually seems like a site I would join. It looks great for me in order to complete one of my New Year’s Resolutions- to eat healthy and exercise more.

I’m not sure about the price- it’s much better than its original price- but I don’t think I’d want to pay for it but…if it gave me promising results, then I guess the price would be worth it, right?
Shannon recently posted..How I have made the world a better place in 2011

3 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! December 29, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I actually have used the app on my phone (before the intelleburn came about) to track food and fitness, and ended up switching to a different one because there were some features it lacked. BUT i did get an email and checked out the intelliburn thing because it looked neat. Im not really in the market for that type of thing now but if i were looking for some new workouts, etc I definitely would consider it, it looks pretty cool!
I also enjoy the nike training app, it is pretty intense and has a lot of features, workouts, and customizing options (and free! at least for iphone)
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Crock Pot Time! Easiest Pot Roast Ever

4 Lena @Fit on the Rocks December 29, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I’ve tried similar, but free, sites, and I always forget that it’s there and don’t end up using it. I know some people who thrive under that type of site, so I’m glad it’s out there for someone!
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..2011 Recap

5 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles December 29, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Interesting….. I think I would HAVE to have a free trial before I would spend any money one it. It does sound pretty great though!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Dear Body,

6 Mary @ Bites and Bliss December 29, 2011 at 5:38 pm

That’s really, really cool. I’m going to check it out!
Mary @ Bites and Bliss recently posted..The gift that brought tears

7 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake December 29, 2011 at 7:52 pm

This looks like an interesting site! I’d definitely want to give it a trial-run before committing though. I tend to sign up for things like this & then never follow through with them.
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Maple Mustard Chicken & December Goals

8 Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter December 29, 2011 at 10:24 pm

That’s really cool that they have a site like that….I don’t know why I have never checked something like that out. I am so used to using my DVD’s. I don’t have a gym membership and this might actually be a great alternative.

Thank you!
Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter recently posted..Let’s go to the movies!

9 Heather December 29, 2011 at 11:00 pm

that sounds really cool! I love personalized stuff like that. I may have to check it out!
Heather recently posted..My 2011 Year In Review

10 Khushboo December 30, 2011 at 12:19 am

That sounds like a great site, although I would also need a trial run before committing to it!
Khushboo recently posted..A taste of my childhood

11 Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl December 30, 2011 at 2:34 am

That actually seems like a cool site. Something I would consider using with the more recent price tag. That neat how it customizes the workout to your needs and is available via iPhone. I will check it out! Thx.
Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl recently posted..Notepad: Beach

12 Karlee @ BringingBackBalance December 30, 2011 at 3:18 am

C’mon couch potato!

That seems like a really cool site! I like that is combines fitness + nutrition.
Karlee @ BringingBackBalance recently posted..Shmoozin with the home girl

13 Sherry December 30, 2011 at 6:50 am

I think it’s a good idea and could help give you some workout inspiration, but I wouldn’t want to pay for it. I would definitely try it out before hand if I had a free trial. I’ve been wanting to sign up for a couple different yoga websites for yoga workouts but can’t justify paying for that either. You have to use your money wisely when you’re on a tight budget, ya know? Thanks for sharing this with us!!

14 Jen@FoodFamilyFitness December 30, 2011 at 7:17 am

That looks really cool!!! I’m already paying for Weight Watchers though, so I don’t think I would spend money on it…yet. Maybe in the future though when I need more from my workouts! Right now I’m just getting started, so everything kicks my ass.
Jen@FoodFamilyFitness recently posted..LHS 1998 Cheer Team Reunion