Give It A Try

by Courtney on January 1, 2012

Sooooo? How’s everyone’s first day of 2012 going so far?

I’ll be honest…I was actually planning on my day being totally lazy, but it ended up turning out to be much more productive than I expected. I got some laundry done, the grocery shopping done, and we even got all of the Christmas decorations packed up and put away. Until next year!

Today’s grocery shop included a boatload of produce, so to make room for it all I threw together an “empty out the veggie drawer” salad for dinner.

It was not very pretty looking, thanks to at least three quarters of the veggies being on their last leg (and me being too hungry to care to make it pretty), but it turned out to be pretty darn delicious.

• the last of the Italian-style lettuce bag
  • the last 1/3 of a cucumber, borderline squishy
  • half a tomato
  • the last six baby carrots in the bag
  • the last 2 bread and butter pickles from the jar
  • three big scoops of leftover spaghetti squash (hey, why not?)
  • leftover steamed spinach
  • leftover chicken & steak from last night’s dinner
  • balsamic vinaigrette dressing

This thing was a monster. So much so that I had to leave a few bites behind. Holy cow! I’d have to say that the most surprisingly good ingredient was the spaghetti squash. I really, really liked having it cold on the salad. Give it a try!

After dinner, I spent a little time going through my latest issue of Cooking Light that came in the mail yesterday.

25 Healthy Chicken Dinners? Yes, please! Hopefully I’ll find a few more to add to my favorite Cooking Light recipes.

I actually already have a few bookmarked to try out soon with the chicken I bought at the store today. Woooo!

Alright, time to get back to that lazy thing for the evening. Winking smile

Question for the Evening:

How did you spend your first day of 2012?

1 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill January 1, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I slept in this morning then went to a few stores with my sister! I am remodeling my bedroom and building a walk-in closet so I’m trying to find some finishing touches to tie the rooms together!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..2011 at a Glance

2 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 1, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Looks like a productive day! I wanted to really deep clean the house today, but only got as far as getting the Christmas decorations put away. There’s always tomorrow!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..letting it go in 2012

3 jana @ newly wife healthy life January 1, 2012 at 7:15 pm

My first day of the new year has been filled with putting away Christmas decorations, football games with my husband, laundry and making pork and saurkraut for new year’s good luck! I slept until 10 this morning, which I haven’t done in forever! Now I remember why I like to get up early. Sleeping in late makes the day go by so fast!

4 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries January 1, 2012 at 7:24 pm

i love the feeling of cleaning out leftovers while also making it a healthy and satisfying meal!

way to be productive today! we had church this morning, had a lazy afternoon, i went grocery shopping, we took the pups on a walk, and now i’m about to make some delicious thai for dinner. it really was the perfect low key day. tomorrow i plan to take down the christmas decorations and get the laundry going. back to reality!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Happy New Year!

5 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 1, 2012 at 7:43 pm

My first day of 2012 was spent with my family, & now I’m settling in to do a few things to prepare for heading back to work on Tuesday! Happy New Year, Courtney!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..New Year’s Links

6 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles January 1, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Oh my Christmas decorations will be up for another week or so. Way to go getting yours down! You were super productive today! SCORE! ….I spent the entire day at school getting ready for the kids on Tuesday- yuck.
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..3 years ago…

7 Shannon January 1, 2012 at 7:50 pm

My first day of 2012 was ok. All I did was go to church, take a nap, do homework, and check my email. I also had a tasty ham dinner with scalloped potatoes and yummy dinner rolls.
Shannon recently posted..New Year’s Fill-Ins

8 Heather January 1, 2012 at 8:11 pm

our decorations go up tomorrow. sad!
I spent the day with hubby and my parents watching football, it was a great day!
Heather recently posted..1-1-12

9 Lena @Fit on the Rocks January 1, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I started it off with a yummy brunch and time spent with my family. I really need to tackle the cleaning on my day off tomorrow though. Happy New Year!
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Happy New Year!

10 Andrea @ Andrea out loud! January 1, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I spent my day cleaning my house very thoroughly and putting up Xmas stuff as well. What a better way to start the year than with a supa dupa clean house right?!
Andrea @ Andrea out loud! recently posted..Here We Are In 2012!

11 Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter January 1, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I love productive days…:) I love finding chicken recipes! Can’t wait to see what you end up cooking…:)
Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter recently posted..Happy New Year!!

12 Allison January 1, 2012 at 9:13 pm

In my family we never do laundry on New Year’s day. According to my great grandmother it is bad luck. True or not, it makes for a good excuse!

13 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 1, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I’m so jealous of everyone that got their xmas stuff put away. It’s all of sudden bothering me a lot. Definitely getting done asap this week!
We spent the day at my parents house eating sausage mushroom risotto and now I’m officially done with indulgent meals for a few weeks!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..A chocolate & strawberry filled New Year

14 Melissa @ Mouthwatering Morsel January 1, 2012 at 11:26 pm

I am in love with the sitting area by the window. I’ve always wanted one. They seem so fun to just sit and relax.

Happy New Year!
Melissa @ Mouthwatering Morsel recently posted..Laid Back

15 Suzanne Spray January 1, 2012 at 11:30 pm

The other day, I made the #1 classic brownies from the Cooking Light magazine…amazing!
Suzanne Spray recently posted..White Bean and Hominy Chili

16 Khushboo January 2, 2012 at 12:17 am

My new years day was definitely one to remember: the first half was great, chilling by the pool with friends and eating a yummy spread of food! We were meant to take a boat back home but because the waters were choppy, we had to drive back home..hence a 45 minute journey turned into 6 hours! I won’t lie- I did enjoy the spontaneous road trip, especially the stop for fresh coconut water!
Khushboo recently posted..Ringing in 2012

17 erica January 2, 2012 at 1:16 pm

i lounged around in bed reading blogs, then went to buy stuff to start organizing my apartment, took down xmas decorations, took a nap and went to dinner. i plan on today being my lazy day!
erica recently posted..happy new year!