It May Be Somewhat Taboo

by Courtney on January 5, 2012

Before anything else, I have a couple of things I want to point out. First, I want to say thanks to everyone who pointed out my “oops” in the question section of this afternoon’s post. I totally missed one of the questions, which ended up getting tangled up in another one. Woops!

I’ve gone back, edited the questions and also added a new one that came through, so feel free to check it out…I think we should be all set for now!

Second, since announcing the new plan, I’ve been asked by a few people why I want to lose weight, which I expected. This is certainly a valid question, but I think I could have been clearer in my reasoning from when I first addressed it in my goals for the plan, so I’m going to try to do that now.

source

First, let me say that I am not, nor have I ever been, huge on numbers when it comes to my weight. I very rarely use a scale, as I know that numbers can fluctuate for a number of reasons and represent many different things. The majority of time when I’m monitoring my body, I prefer to go by:

• how my clothes are fitting, or
  • how I feel both physically and mentally

With the new plan, a goal was set to try to lose 5-6 pounds, yes. But most importantly, I’m looking for results that I can actually see and feel. I want to stop feeling like I have to keep reaching for the “flowy” tops because I’m uncomfortable with the weight I’ve gained in my mid-section. I want to be able to fit comfortably into my favorite jeans again, without feeling like an overstuffed sausage…and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that.

That being said, maybe my true goals were initially unclear, because if all of that could happen and for some reason the scale didn’t budge, I would be 100% okay with that. I know that weight loss is a subject that seems to be somewhat taboo in the healthy living blog realm, but it really doesn’t have to be. Weight is just a number. It doesn’t (nor should it) define a person. I know that some of the weight I’ve gained this past year is muscle, and that’s great. No, that’s freakin’ awesome. I love my muscles! Now with this new plan, hopefully I’ll be able to show ‘em off a little bit better. Winking smile

*****

Alright, now that we’ve got that cleared up, let’s move on! After work, I had a couple things to take care of…some of which could potentially be very exciting(!)…then came home, and was ready to make dinner.

Yes, I know I just pulled the big time teaser card.

Dinner

Let’s call this…awesomeness in a bowl.

Over the summer, Jay and I ended up making a last-minute dish very similar to this and we both totally loved it. As for why we’ve waited five months to make it again, well, who knows.

Today’s bowl was a mix of tomato-basil chicken sausage, quinoa, spinach, diced tomatoes, zucchini, scallions, and a few splashes of roasted red pepper dressing.

I think the only thing that could have made this any better would have been to add some goat cheese to it. That’s one of my favorite additions to a quinoa dish. So, so tasty!

Tonight, I’m planning on enjoying my after dinner treat while watching a little trash TV…and by trash TV, I mean…

source

The Jersey Shore Season 5 Premiere, of course!

Lezbi honest (season 4 anyone?)…I actually got a little bored and annoyed by the end of last season, but this show is such a train wreck that I am ready to watch again. I’ll give it a chance and we’ll see how it goes, but I definitely have to get my Vinny & Pauly D. fix. Smile

Questions for the Evening:

How do you feel about the discussion of weight loss on healthy living blogs?

Are there any shows you tune into that you know are terrible, but you can’t help stop watching?

1 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy January 5, 2012 at 8:25 pm

The Bachelor and The Bachelorette. I’m addicted!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Just a Part of Life

2 Kristen @ notsodomesticated January 5, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Same here, Emily!! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..WIAW: Vacation Edition

3 Lisa January 5, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I’m a sucker for jersey shore too. It’s so bad yet so terribly good. At the end of the day I like to watch something that doesn’t make my brain hurt to think too much.

4 Shannon January 5, 2012 at 8:32 pm

The Bachelor/Bachelorette.

I don’t mind the weight loss discussion on healthy living blogs if it’s described how you described weight as a number. If it’s described in a negative way, then I can’t take the discussion.

Great job on the plan so far! I’m happy for you that you’re happy. :)

5 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 5, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Hm, pretty much everything I watch is pretty terrible, but I love it! My current obsession is Khloe & Kim Take New York & of course, the Real Housewives series!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Taking the Plunge

6 Meg @ My Chocolate Covered Life January 5, 2012 at 10:10 pm

I’m with Erica – those Real Housewives know how to DRAMA like no other and I love it!
Meg @ My Chocolate Covered Life recently posted..Balsamic Salmon RECIPE

7 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine January 5, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I hate that most healthy living blogs try to hide behind the idea of “healthy living” rather than admit that the reason they are or are not doing something is for their own vanity. Everyone is vain (to a point) and they all want to look their best. There is nothing wrong with wanting to lose a few pounds or tone up just so we feel better about ourselves. Good for you for throwing that out there Courtney!
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..I Had A Green Monster and a Gym FAIL

8 Kait January 6, 2012 at 9:24 am

Totally agree!! It’s not a crime to care about your appearance and when you take care of it in a healthful and balanced manner, you become a role model!! Keep it up!!:)

9 Courtney January 6, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Thanks!! :)

10 Stephanie @ Food and Fitness 4 Real January 5, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I tend to focus on healthy living instead of weight loss in my blog. I do think the two go hand in hand but I prefer to eat clean and indulge in moderation. Feeling healthy is more important than a specific goal weight.
As for trash tv, I have been known to watch the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and Teen Mom 2. I have NEVER watched Jersey Shore before…
Stephanie @ Food and Fitness 4 Real recently posted..My New Fitness Routine for the New Year

11 Briana January 5, 2012 at 8:36 pm

It’s very refreshing to see a blogger me open about weight and stuff like this. I feel like I know where you’re coming from too. Over the holidays my once loose jeans have gotten tight so now I’m trying to get back on track. When I mention this to people they just roll their eyes and say I’m already thin. Regardless of my weight I just feel “blech” lately. A new eating plan, as you’re doing, seems like a great idea to lose those extra pounds or just feel good again. ANYWAY thank you for being honest on your blog, one of the reasons you’re my fav :)

12 gabriella @ lessons on the run January 5, 2012 at 8:37 pm

That dinner looks fantastic! I need to start making more quinoa and millet based based. I think a lot of people shy away from weight topics because it can be so touchy, but I also think a lot of people (myself included) like to pretend to protray a certain image about their feelings on weight. Not pointing out anyone, but I think bloggers in general (myself included) like to be as upbeat and positive as possible, make thems seem better than they are. Weight is a topic that can bring a person down *personally* so that’s why I think a lot of people try to make it as positive as possible even if its not how they truly feel..if that makes sense.

13 Faith January 5, 2012 at 8:42 pm

You’re totally right – weight loss does have a taboo in the HLB blog world. While we do emphasize loving our bodies and accepting them the way they are, there’s nothing wrong with wanting to see more definition, feel more proud about our muscle tone, etc and so on! As long as it’s done out of a loving, healthy mindset (as opposed to an ‘I’m worthless until I lose weight” mindset), I see no reason why that shouldn’t be discussed on these blogs!
Faith recently posted..Comment on Can Blogging Improve Self Esteem? by Sara @my less serious life

14 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries January 5, 2012 at 8:48 pm

i absolutely love what you have to say in this post, courtney. i’ve noticed in the healthy living blog world that weight loss seems to be a bit of a taboo, and i’ve even thought about addressing at some point on my blog. it kind of bothers me because like you said, it shouldn’t be a taboo. it’s just a number and shouldn’t “define” anyone at all. as long as you’re doing what’s best for you and your body then nothing is wrong with wanting to lose (or gain) a little weight. i appreciate you addressing this! very well said!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Group Fitness Classes

15 Steph @ Will Run For Treats January 5, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I felt the same way by the end of the last season of JS. However, being a Jersey Girl myself (I spent my after-prom party in Seaside and my parents have a house just a few towns over), I stand by my feeling that this is perhaps the most real “reality” show ever produced! I think the guidos and guidettes feel much more at home in Jerz, and am hoping this season will be as good as the other Seaside ones :)
Steph @ Will Run For Treats recently posted..Sore Tempo Run

16 Sam January 5, 2012 at 8:52 pm

I totally get where you are. I have weight/fitness goals mostly because of the wedding but because I can’t fit comfortably in my pants. I don’t consider myself “fat” but too big for my body at the moment. I started weight watchers online to kind of kickstart things and get my portions under control. I also like it because it lets you trade off workouts for food points ;) Good luck!

17 Andrea (Run. Learn. Repeat.) January 5, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Dinner looked yummy. I just bought a big bag of quinoa today, so I’ll have to try that. I understand where you’re coming from on the weight issue. I feel the same way about my clothes right now.

18 Clare @ Fitting It All In January 5, 2012 at 9:14 pm

I’m actually with you 100% right now. I don’t really need to lose any weight, but my mid section just feels a little squishy and I’m not as comfortable in my clothes. I’m trying to up my protein, eat small meals more often, and hit the weights!
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..SoBe Coconut Water + Larabar Cappuccino

19 Samantha January 5, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Oh that quinoa looks so so good!

Isn’t weight part of healthy living? Part of why we write about what we eat, how we workout, etc…

I think it’s great that you’re addressing what are your issues, how you feel about your body, and the steps you feel you need to take to get happy and comfortable again! I’m in the same boat as you right now – and am seriously thinking of making some changes, hence asking you for Jim’s info yesterday!

I totally respect that you’re throwing this all out there 100% honest! Keep it up girl!
Samantha recently posted..A 2.15 Mile Lesson

20 Courtney January 6, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Thanks, Sam! :)

21 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill January 5, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Everyone has insecurities, especially when it comes to physical appearances, so there’s absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to lose a healthy amount of weight. Ultimately, it is a matter of how you feel–if you don’t feel great, why not work towards a goal?

I’m actually not a fan of Jersey Shore, but I do like The Bachelor!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..You’re Painting a Rug?

22 silvia@ skinny jeans food January 5, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Jersey Shore (and the latest Bachelor) are brain pollution….. seriously! ;-)
silvia@ skinny jeans food recently posted..Lunch Inspirations

23 Elizabeth January 5, 2012 at 10:30 pm

As long as it’s not overwhelming, I think weight discussion is totally fine. Personally, I read these blogs because I have major issues with food, and during recovery I’m really trying to gain an idea of what a normal relationship with food is like. That saying, there’s nothing wrong with posting that you feel like you’re above your happy weight and want to lose a couple pounds … as was said above, it is part of healthy living. Admitting you need to get back on track is brave, and as long as your weight loss isn’t extreme (which I gather it’s not, as you said you’re only trying to lose what you gained) I think that adressing the topic shouldn’t have to be a negative thing. Good on you :)

24 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and FAbulous January 5, 2012 at 10:54 pm

I don’t think weight loss on any blog should be taboo if you are doing it the healthy way with a healthy midset with you are. So I say go get it girl! Oh the Real World still sucks me in every time! :)
Lauren @ Fun, Fit and FAbulous recently posted..Inspiration for 2012

25 Tee @ She Writes, Bites, and Window Shops January 5, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Weight loss is often a big part of healthy living so I don’t think it’s taboo. As long as it’s done in a healthy way! And yes I’m totally with you on the Jersey Shore addiction – I also can’t stop watching the train wreck that is the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills!
Tee @ She Writes, Bites, and Window Shops recently posted..Inspiring sweets – January 2012

26 Lena @Fit on the Rocks January 5, 2012 at 11:38 pm

I feel like the discussion of weight loss is a bit iffy because everyone seems so outwardly “fit and healthy”, but it should be openly discussed. I specify that I still haven’t reached my goal weight, and have gotten great feedback from people. No shame in hiding!

27 Khushboo January 6, 2012 at 12:41 am

I don’t get why weight loss has such a bad stigma in the blog world…not every attempt is ED-related! Weight loss and healthy living can definitely go hand-in-land and if anything, the blog world should be somewhere to find support from! I feel just the same as you do in terms of feeling like ‘an overstuffed sausage’ and more than seeing the numbers go down on the scales, I just want to feel fit & healthy and for my clothes to fit comfortably and make me feel confident when I wear them!
Khushboo recently posted..On the rebound

28 Michelle (Better with Berries) January 6, 2012 at 6:27 am

Since weight loss is a completely personal decision, it should be discussed when it comes to discussing food and exercise. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be at a healthy weight that you feel comfortable at, and as a reader, it’s nice to know that others can feel the same way – that even at a weight that is healthy and not overweight, it’s okay to want to be at your happy weight (still a healthy weight!)
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..2012 Goals

29 jen January 6, 2012 at 7:53 am

there’s nothing wrong with wanting to lose a few pounds (but to me you look great now! ) I’m having the same issue. I have 10 -15 I would love to lose. One of the reasons I’m doing the detox I’m on is to get back that motivation and will power I had when I was losing weight originally! (where did it go!?) but I think you will do great on this plan Courtney!
jen recently posted..Detox Update

30 Courtney January 6, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Thanks, Jen! This is why I haven’t responded about what I’m bringing to brunch yet, lol…

31 Marykate January 6, 2012 at 7:59 am

THANK YOU for being so candid and honest on this subject!
I do think that talking about losing weight can be considered “taboo” on healthy living blogs. But your reasons for wanting to lose a few lbs. ARE healthy! Of course eating and living/feeling well is the top priority. But we all want to feel good good about the way we look too!

I added a fun, hour long “boot camp” class 2 days a week last January and lost the 5 lbs. that made me feel uncomfortable and kinda like an overstuffed sausage. I maintain the weight I’ve always been, now, but doing that early morning workout on Tuesdays and Thursdays made me feel awesome! I gained a ton of cardio endurance, strength and confidence.
Who couldn’t use a little more of that?

32 Courtney January 6, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Absolutely! Good for you on your accomplishments, Marykate! That’s awesome :)

33 Courtney @ Pursuit of Healthiness January 6, 2012 at 8:13 am

It’s so refreshing to see a blogger say that she actually wants to lose weight. THANK YOU! It gets old listening to everyone talking about how they are happy with their weight all of the time. Good luck with the plans and I hope you accomplish your goals! Also, thanks for answering my question about eating at restaurants on your plan.

34 Jana January 6, 2012 at 8:55 am

I agree that weight loss is taboo, but it also comes with the territory. Obviously when someone says they’re a healthy living blogger, i automatically assume they are conscious about their weight. I think if the topic is approached in a way that addresses an insecurity all women face, and not in an obsessive way, it can be a nice reminder to readers that everyone struggles with their body sometimes.
Jana recently posted..Easy as Pie

35 Whitney January 6, 2012 at 9:12 am

I don’t see what the big deal is about admitting on a blog that you want to lose weight. I weigh myself every morning to keep myself in check on my exercise and nutrition. Healthy living IS monitoring your weight!!! Hope you reach your goals! :)

36 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile January 6, 2012 at 9:13 am

I think it’s fine for you to want to lose weight. Only you know how you feel, and only you can decide what you want to do with your body and eating habits!
I stopped watching jersey shore last season too, but I did watch it last night. THat and the Bachelor!

37 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers January 6, 2012 at 9:28 am

my thoughts? people flip shizzzzzit over weight on healthy living blogs in a way that just isn’t natural in day-to-day life. it’s totally normal and natural to discuss insecurities, weight and goals with friends in your everyday life, but it seems like weight discussions on blogs get people all hot and bothered in a way that was very foreign to me when i first started reading blogs and the comments on blogs.

38 Courtney January 6, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Agreed, 100%!

39 Sarah January 6, 2012 at 9:44 am

I have struggled with my weight for years- and im 15. My problem is i have a huge scale addiction. We got these new scientific scales that measure to the tenth of a pound and also reports body fat, water percentage and BMI. Most recently i saw my body getting leaner almost to where i want to be, but my weight was higher! I am so confused, can someone explain??

40 Emily Grace January 6, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Because you’re gaining muscle! Your body fat percentage is decreasing, which causes weight to drop- but you’re gaining muscle- which causes weight to increase! This is a GOOD thing!

That being said, a scale addiction isn’t healthy. Try to go more off how you feel. Personally, I weigh myself the same time of day (morning), but once a week (Thursday). That way, I stay on top of things without obsessing!

41 LizAshlee January 6, 2012 at 9:56 am

Great reasons for losing a few pounds…I would like to do the same thing for the same reasons…just to feel light & carefree!!

42 Mallory @ Have your cake January 6, 2012 at 10:04 am

It’s all about how YOU feel in your own skin. I totally get it! Why anyone would think losing a few lbs is ‘disordered’ or ‘taboo to discuss’ is beyond me. EDs are about issues OTHER than weight! duh! they are about control, major life changes, depression, etc etc… and clearly you’re loing these few pounds because they will simply make you feel better in your skin. no biggie at all!
Mallory @ Have your cake recently posted..The Required 2012 Goals Post

43 Kristin @ foodFash January 6, 2012 at 10:49 am

I really like how you addressed the poundage issue. I, too, would like to fit more comfortably in my pre-holiday season jeans :)
Kristin @ foodFash recently posted..Bayshore And Dinner?

44 Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter January 6, 2012 at 11:14 am

It all boils down to the person making that decision. I completely agree with everything that you said….especially the part about seeing and feeling the difference, even if you don’t lose a pound. The important thing is to feel better. I don’t want to feel like this slug moving in slow motion, and one of the best ways to fix that is to adjust your food intake. I have to walk around in this body, so I want to feel good in it.
Great post!!
Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter recently posted..Oh Holy Cow!

45 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers January 6, 2012 at 12:40 pm

i LOVE this comment!

46 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 6, 2012 at 12:20 pm

hooray for going off of how you FEEL and how your clothes fit. before Jim made me track my progress on “the plan,” I hadn’t checked the scale in months!

plus, numbers can be so wishy-washy and deceiving. water weight, sodium intake, etc… it’ll getcha. ;)
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..The Recipe for a Perfect Birthday

47 suzie January 6, 2012 at 3:00 pm

just wanted to chime and say that I’m glad its being discussed and this makes me a huge hippocrite because I have been wanting to lose 5-10 pounds for the past year and def don’t “need” to but just want to you look amazing and don’t seem to need to lose any weight!

48 Amanda January 6, 2012 at 4:14 pm

it’s so easy for someone else to tell you that you don’t have to lose weight. but you’re right, it’s all about how you feel and as someone already said, it’s your body and YOU have to live with it! I find that those who have a problem with you trying to improve yourself are those who are insecure in their own skin. I give you a lot of credit for announcing that you want to lose weight and developing a HEALTHY plan to accomplish that. isn’t that what healthy living is all about? doing healthy things that make you feel good about yourself?

I’m looking forward to reading more about your progress and I wish you luck on your journey!

49 Courtney January 6, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Thanks, Amanda! I really do appreciate this comment! :)

50 Lee @ in the pink of condition January 7, 2012 at 9:39 am

It’s annoying to think that people would want to criticize you for your health choices. I can see if maybe you close friends/family made comments here and there about it, but random bloggers who don’t know you should just keep mum about it. It is easy to criticize someone behind the wall of your laptop.
Lee @ in the pink of condition recently posted..Cross training for long distance running

51 Geraldine January 7, 2012 at 11:41 am

I think people look at you and think – why would someone who looks like her want to lose weight?! You look great as you are! BUT I totally understand your decision to detox. We all have a feel-good weight and shouldn’t have to justify ourselves to others if we want to put in the effort to reach it. Your food looks healthy and tasty and i’ll definitely be stealing a few meal ideas. I have weighed myself on three different scales in the past month and they all gave a different reading. I’ll ignore the two highest :) so I’ve resorted to judging my figure by my favourite party dress. If that zips and I have room to move. I’m happy!
Geraldine recently posted..Fire, Wine, Tree – My Little Christmas

52 Stephanie @ Food and Fitness 4 Real February 23, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Hi Courtney, just a heads up that this original post inspired me to write about the topic of weight loss vs healthy living. I finally got around to finishing this post today and have linked back to you here. Thanks for starting a great conversation! http://foodandfitness4real.com/2012/02/23/weight-loss-or-healthy-living/
Stephanie @ Food and Fitness 4 Real recently posted..Weight Loss or Healthy Living