Only Seven Minutes

by Courtney on January 6, 2012

Alrighty, let’s start out with some fun stuff this afternoon.

Let’s announce the three winners of my “Working Out Sucks” giveaway. Congratulations to…

Winner #1 – Karla

win1

Winner #2 – Alicia

win2

Winner #3 – Lauren

win3

**Winners: Email me at sweettoothcourtney[@]gmail[.]com so we can get you squared away!

Thanks again to everyone who entered! If you weren’t one of the lucky three to be chosen but are still interested in the book, I really would highly recommend it. You can find it on Amazon for right around $10.00, which isn’t too shabby, right?

*****

So I was super pressed for time this morning, and didn’t have too much time to get creative with the snacks. You’re definitely going to see some repeats from this week but I was super impressed with the fact that I was able to put this all together in about 7 minutes…no joke.

Just goes to show ya…eating right doesn’t have to mean taking more time. It can be done! Winking smile

Mid-Morning Snack

A cup of vanilla Chobani with blueberries

Lunch

A huge salad made with lots of veggies (cucumbers, grape tomatoes, baby carrots, broccoli, scallions, and corn) and topped with a Dr. Praeger’s veggie burger.

I also decided to go sans salad dressing and try out hummus instead. I’m pretty sure I’ve done this in the past but I can’t remember for sure. I used about 2 tbsp which was just enough to coat everything and make it super creamy. It was awesome.

Mid-Afternoon Snack

(for a little later) A golden delicious apple and roasted almonds

I’m still not quite sure what our plans for this evening include, but if they end up being low-key, then I am totally fine with that. I’m still feeling pretty tired and may, in fact, have to try to squeeze in a nap after work today. Naps are not a normal thing for me, since I usually end up waking up more groggy than I was before I fell asleep, but I am just craving some more zzz’s right now. We’ll see!

Question for the Afternoon:

How long does it usually take you to prep your breakfast/lunch/dinner?

Do you think you could give yourself more time than you already do?

1 Brigitt January 6, 2012 at 1:36 pm

There’s this vegetarian falafel place in NYC called Maoz–I looove their salads and I just get hummus on them instead of dressing. It’s healthy and so much more filling than regular salad dressing.
Brigitt recently posted..Rockin’ Phase 1

2 Caitlin C. January 6, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I prep my work lunch/snacks the night before and it only takes me about 10 minutes, maybe 15 if I’m chopping my salad slowly haha. Blueberries are a standard snack for me lately, only I do cottage cheese instead of yogurt. Salads are also my standard lunch. I see lots of similarities!

I love using things other than dressing on my salads. I never use dressing unless at a restaurant since that’s usually my only option, and even then I sometimes use salsa, like at Ruby Tuesday’s (they have salsa in their salad bar). I like to use cottage cheese, hummus, or salsa as a dressing substitute.
Caitlin C. recently posted..Rest Days, Christmas Day, and Too-Jay’s

3 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat January 6, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I usually pack up leftovers from dinner, which takes 5 minutes, but my breakfast can take longer (and I usually make it in the morning and bring it to work).
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Five Food Friday

4 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles January 6, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I acutally never use dressings, I do use balsamic but that is ithe closest thing I’ll get to a dressing. Your salad looks delicious! ……I was going to have a low key evening but just found out that my sister and her two kiddos are coming over! YAY! Date night with my 2 year old nephew- Cars 2 & popcorn is totally on the menu! :) Can’t wait for my wild night!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Fajita Roasted Chickpeas –Bet you can’t eat just 48–

5 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn January 6, 2012 at 1:53 pm

When I’m at school, it takes me no time at all. Literally, banana while I’m doing my hair, and then chobani and nuts in a bowl in two seconds. Chowed down. Best thing ever.
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..Friday Feature: Style.com

6 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! January 6, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Oh yes, I definitely need to give myself more time too! I am not a morning person at all and am always rushing around to get my stuff together and breakfast, let the dog out, etc. I need to ease myself into it by getting up 10 minutes earlier each day probably.
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Random Friday…It’s because I’m Italian

7 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile January 6, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Luckily, I never have to prep my meals because I am usually home for lunch. My college schedule is only about 3 hours per week, so I’m home a lot!
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..Friday Favorites

8 marci blumenfeld January 6, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I am glad to see I am not the only one who has to portion out my Almonds for work – i pack a small handful almost every morning to bring to work as my snack, and a co-worker once asked me why i didnt just keep the whole jar at work… i am SO bad at self control with almonds/nuts in general!

9 Courtney January 9, 2012 at 10:40 am

Oh gosh…if I didn’t pre-portion, I’d definitely be in trouble!!

10 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries January 6, 2012 at 2:25 pm

nice job on being so speedy with packing your eats for the day! i usually try to have things on hand that are quick and easy to pack for lunches (i.e. pieces of fruit, yogurt, baby carrots, etc.), so the most work i have to put into packing my lunch is the sandwich or salad i make which i also make pretty simple most of the time. i’d say it takes me 5-10 mins to pack my lunch. when i’m not working and at home, i usually put more time into preparing it.
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Ashley’s Random Friday Morning Thoughts

11 Lindsey January 6, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Breakfast and lunch usually takes me 10 minutes to prep, snacks maybe 5 minutes. Supper during the week has to be quick, since we do not get home from the gym till almost 7pm so we aim for under 30 mins. But on weekend I will make recipes that take longer since I have the extra time.
Lindsey recently posted..Foodie Friday

12 Steph @ StephSnacks January 6, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I basically ate the exact same thing for lunch! From the veggie burger right down to the hummus as salad dressing! so delish.
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Followed My Gut

13 Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter January 6, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Hmm probably about 10 minutes, depending on what I going to have to eat that day. I try to do it the night before, but it doesn’t always work out that way. If I don’t do it the night before, I have some sort of idea what I want to eat.

Salad looks super yummy! I am gonna have to get me some of those veggie burgers. :)
Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter recently posted..Oh Holy Cow!

14 Mollie January 6, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I use hummus for salad dressing all the time! Love it that way!
Mollie recently posted..Look who’s 5!!

15 Jana January 6, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I actually enjoy making my breakfast in the morning which can take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes. I actually wake up a little earlier than I need to just so I can start my day relaxed while eating breakfast and watching the today show after my workout. My lunch is usually leftovers from dinner do I just pack up my lunch container when I am putting away the leftovers.
Jana recently posted..Easy as Pie

16 Lena @Fit on the Rocks January 6, 2012 at 3:55 pm

If I’m being slow and indecisive, I end up opening and closing my fridge a zillion times like something new will pop up. On a quick day, I can have my stuff ready in less than 5. Usually the former lol.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Year of Fitness and Finances

17 Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 6, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I’m pretty efficient with making up lunches/snacks in the morning. I have to plan the night before, though. If I go in completely blind in the morning I end up running late.

18 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness January 6, 2012 at 4:34 pm

It depends on how creative I want to get or if I want to do a week prep or a day prep, but some where in the 10 minute range. You are right…eating healthy can be done with plenty of time to spare.
I am drooling over your salad. Hope it was fab!
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Brussels Sprouts, Don’t be a Hater

19 Haley @ Fit, Young, and Fabulous January 6, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I LOVE putting together snacks and deciding what to choose. So I get all of my work done as quickly as I can so that I can have extra time to cook and choose and snack(; It usually takes me about 20 minutes, but I’m all down for your 7 minute put-together!!
Haley @ Fit, Young, and Fabulous recently posted..Froyo makes the World Go ‘Round

20 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and FAbulous January 6, 2012 at 7:08 pm

For some reason I have never tried hummus instead of salad dressing but it sounds fantastic. Thank you for spicing up my salads next week! It usually takes me about 10 minutes to pack my husbands lunch, my lunch and make breakfast! Speedy speedy, mainly because he eats the same thing every day! LOL
Lauren @ Fun, Fit and FAbulous recently posted..Inspiration for 2012

21 Mary January 6, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Courtney I heard Trader Joe’s confirmed they are coming to Albany! Are you happy?

22 Courtney January 9, 2012 at 10:37 am

YESSS!!! :)

23 Marty January 6, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Lunch takes me like 5 minutes to prepare because I’m a teacher and am expected to gulp down my food! Dinner depends on what’s on the menu. I guess about 20 15-25 minutes. Around there…
Marty recently posted..Giant Carrot Cake Pancakes

24 karlee @ bringing back balance January 6, 2012 at 8:24 pm

It usually takes me about 15 to just decide what I want lol.. Once I have decided it only takes about 10 minutes. Sometimes I am super prepared and I pack my lunch the night before.. Those are always happy mornings :)

25 Michelle (Better with Berries) January 6, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Breakfast is always quick – probably 5-10 minutes. Lunch is my least favorite to prepare, so I always try and do it as soon as possible after getting home from work so I don’t have to think about it for the rest of the night. Since I eat the same thing almost every day, it probably only takes me about 10 minutes, but for some reason it’s still one of my least favorite chores :-)
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..2012 Goals

26 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 6, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I have to prep my breakfast & lunch the night before or else I’d never get out the door on time! If I’m preparing something a little more elaborate for dinner, I usually start prepping/chopping veggies when I get home from work & finish it up once I actually start cooking.
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Taking the Plunge

27 Khushboo January 6, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Hummus is the best salad topper….that and guacamole > dressing!
Khushboo recently posted..Getting crafty

28 Shannon January 7, 2012 at 11:25 am

About 5 minutes for breakfast- I’m in a rush to get out for the bus in time at 7:10 am. I just pop an Eggo Buttermilk waffle in the toaster, and when it’s warm or light enough that I will eat it, then breakfast is served.

Lunch is packed in about five minutes too; I usually take turkey, a Lofthouse cookie (or some other type of dessert) and a bottle of water.

Dinner is more like half an hour or so- it depends on the meal. There is 6 of us in our family so we have to make sure there is enough for everyone!
Shannon recently posted..New Year’s Fill-Ins

29 Toni @Running, Loving, Living January 7, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Your meals look delish!! The spiciest thing I have ever eaten was a habenaro stuffed olive, I didn’t expect it to be so hot!! I miss Crossfit!!!