Peanut Buttery Delight

by Courtney on January 6, 2012

Holy dark circles and bags under the eyes this morning, Batman!

It’s my own fault, since I stayed up way later than I should have watching Jersey Shore last night. Yes, apparently the crazy inside of me just couldn’t wait to DVR it and watch it tonight. Ooof.

While we waited for our trash TV to come on, I enjoyed a little evening snack while lounging in the cozies.

(creeper alert) Disappointed smile

I had a hot mug of Nutcracker Sweet tea and a rice cake topped with a smear of peanut butter and some apple cinnamon jelly. It was perfectly delicious and fulfilled any cravings I may have had.

So, needless to say, there were no workouts on the agenda for this morning thanks to my late bedtime last night. I’ve actually been using Fridays & Sundays as my rest days these past couple of weeks and it’s working out quite well, so I think I’m gonna stick with it.

Breakfast

You know, I realized something this morning…

I’m pretty sure that I have been using way less than 1 tablespoon of peanut butter on my English muffins in the morning. I only say that because I actually measured out today’s serving of 1 tablespoon (I usually just eyeball it and/or use just enough to coat the top) and my oh my was this a plate of peanut buttery delight!

This breakfast has definitely got my day off to a great start!

*****

A couple quick things…

Happy Friday!!

Question for the Morning:

Do you ever measure any servings of your food (peanut butter, crackers, etc.) or do you just eyeball it?

1 Faith @ For the Health of It January 6, 2012 at 9:21 am

I only measure things that I have to cook with a precise amount of water, like oats, beans or rice. Other than that, I just go with the eyeball method!

2 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat January 6, 2012 at 9:21 am

I measure my oats, but eyeball most other things. Even when following a recipe – ooops! ;)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Five Food Friday

3 Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life January 6, 2012 at 9:22 am

I, too, stayed up way too late last night watchin Jersey Shore. Why do we punish ourselves!?

I have totally been slacking on the working out/eating right, but I am SO looking forward to kicking it into high gear on Monday. Have a great weekend!
Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life recently posted..NYE…Pretty Low-Key

4 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill January 6, 2012 at 9:26 am

It depends what it is, but I do measure a lot of things. I think people tend to underestimate serving sizes (especially when it comes to things like peanut butter), though I don’t think it’s necessary to measure other things–like fruits and vegetables.
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Shop Til You Drop [Your Blackberry]

5 Jana January 6, 2012 at 9:26 am

I usually measure out foods that are easy to go overboard on like cereal in the morning, especially granola! Oh man, ice cream is another thing I usually measure. I may try to convince myself it’s a half cup serving when I know it’s more like 2 servings! Whoever came up with ice cream as a half cup serving must be a comedian.. :-) I usually just eyeball my meal portions though and try to use smaller plates when available to keep my portions reasonable.
Jana recently posted..Easy as Pie

6 Courtney January 6, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Oh geez…no kidding on the ice cream serving? I mean…1/2 cup? REALLY?!? That’s just cruel!

7 Khushboo January 6, 2012 at 9:29 am

I should measure out my peanut butter..just to make sure I’m getting a bang for my buck (or cal in this case)…I’m pretty stingy ;)!
Khushboo recently posted..Getting crafty

8 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile January 6, 2012 at 9:32 am

It depends on what I’m eating it with. If I’m just smearing it on toast or a waffle, I eyeball it. But if I’m making something that requires only 1 tablespoon I’ll measure it out!
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..Friday Favorites

9 Laura @ Backstage Balance January 6, 2012 at 9:39 am

Too funny – I also stayed up late watching Jersey Shore! I had to work until 9:30 and once I got home, decided I just couldn’t wait until tomorrow. And then I watched a DVR’d episode of Teen Mom 2!
Laura @ Backstage Balance recently posted..3:30am, at work.

10 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! January 6, 2012 at 9:42 am

On crackers (like wehat things or pita chips for example) I count out a serving size usually. I am pretty good about eyeballing tbsp/tsp and cups, etc though for dips and the like! :)
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Random Friday…It’s because I’m Italian

11 chelcie @ chelcie's food files January 6, 2012 at 9:55 am

Sometimes I measure my peanut butter or almond butter portions just because I’m curious of what a tablespoon actually is..funny that I noticed the same thing as you the other day when I went to eat my english muffin with almond butter and banana for breakfast!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..The Spaghetti Squash Story

12 Lindsey January 6, 2012 at 10:03 am

I am a measure-er! haha. With peanut butter for sure since I am addicted and would end up justifying 1/2 cup as a serving ;) haha
Have a great weekend!
Lindsey recently posted..Foodie Friday

13 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles January 6, 2012 at 10:04 am

I usually just eyeball it but every once in a while, I measure it out to make sure I am still on track…. Your creeper in the photo is a cutie!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Fajita Roasted Chickpeas –Bet you can’t eat just 48–

14 LizAshlee January 6, 2012 at 10:07 am

Happy Friday! One of my fav treats/snacks is a rice cake with nut butter, even better with a smidge of honey! :)
LizAshlee recently posted..New Favorite Food Friday+Chocolate Almond Coconut Bars

15 Mac January 6, 2012 at 10:17 am

I can totally relate to staying up to late last night watching tv… Scared Straight sucked me in last night.
Mac recently posted..(Football) Party Recipes

16 Lena @Fit on the Rocks January 6, 2012 at 10:32 am

I always eyeball it, but maybe I should start measuring. My mom always said my eyes were bigger than my stomach haha.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Year of Fitness and Finances

17 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries January 6, 2012 at 10:45 am

i usually measure out my oatmeal and nut butters. oatmeal because i just have a difficult time eyeballing it, and nut butter because i could EASILY get too carried away with it. i love the stuff too much. ;)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Ashley’s Random Friday Morning Thoughts

18 Briana January 6, 2012 at 11:06 am

I have a quick question. At night I have become so programmed to have a “dessert”. This isn’t a huge problem as sometimes it’s actually healthy. The only problem is that it triggers me to keep eating when I’m not even hungry! Do you ever come across that problem or if not how do you control yourself?

19 Courtney January 6, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Haha, oh DEFINITELY! That was pretty much the story of my life! Now that I’m on the new plan, that’s actually doing a surprisingly good job of keeping me in check. I’m already noticing, after only 4-5 days, that it’s much easier for me to say “NO!”

20 Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter January 6, 2012 at 11:07 am

Most of the time I just eyeball it, but I bet I would save a few calories if I actually measured it. Especially things like PB…:)
I love the banana, EM combo!

Have a great day!
Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter recently posted..Oh Holy Cow!

21 Laurie January 6, 2012 at 11:15 am

Thoughts on the Shore? I didn’t watch it yet because I was so disappointed with the Italy season (yes, I have seen every episode of every season). What do you think? Should I not give up on our little meatball friends?

22 Courtney January 6, 2012 at 11:41 am

I already liked last night’s episode better than Italy. I say give the meatball another chance ;)

23 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life January 6, 2012 at 11:16 am

I measure out my oats just so that I have the right oat to liquid ratio. I hate watery oats! I rarely measure out other things, but I do have a chart on Pinterest that shows you how to eyeball servings with your hands, which is pretty cool.
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Blueberry Pierogi and Cardio Circuits

24 Courtney January 6, 2012 at 11:41 am

Ughh…watery oats are the WORST!

25 Michele @ nycrunningmama January 6, 2012 at 11:33 am

I usually measure the first few times I am using something. After that, I’m too lazy to measure and just eyeball it! What did you put on top of the bananas on your english muffins this morning? Is that Chia seeds?
Michele @ nycrunningmama recently posted..What’s better than two PRs in one day?

26 Courtney January 6, 2012 at 11:40 am

Yuppers! :)

27 Heather January 6, 2012 at 11:51 am

i NEVER use the amount of condiment suggested as serving size, i realized a few months ago. For someone who’s all about sauce and spreads, this REALLY shocked me. But then i was REALLY happy when I realized how many calories I’m actually saving on the things that aren’t really full of any nutrients (but full of so much flavor!)
Heather recently posted..Create Space for Passions

28 Hope January 6, 2012 at 11:59 am

I don’t really measure things out unless I’m following a recipe. If I follow a recipe I will definitely use precise measurements. Otherwise, I just eyeball it :)
Hope recently posted..Testing..1, 2, 3…

29 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 6, 2012 at 12:21 pm

me too, me too, me too! I use a 1/2 tbsp to measure my almond butter on both halves of my english muffin before adding the banana… and it really does seem like a lot of butta to me. everyone was crying saying how terrible it would be, but I’m loving using a whole tbsp of nut butter. :)
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..The Recipe for a Perfect Birthday

30 Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony January 6, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I measure here and there depending on what it is.
Funny, I JUST started making Fridays and Sundays rest days too!
Based on your NASM training, what is the view on rest days (how many, when, etc.)?
Thanks Courtney!
Angela @ Health Happiness & Harmony recently posted..Bittersweet

31 Courtney January 9, 2012 at 10:44 am

I don’t think it necesarily matters WHEN your rest days are…I think that’s more a matter of personal preference. I like having 1-2 rest days per week, which is very similar to what I read with NASM, too :)

32 Samantha January 6, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I measure depending on what it is – peanut butter I have to, otherwise I’ll go WAY overboard!
Samantha recently posted..A 2.15 Mile Lesson

33 Emily January 6, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Totally off topic but knew you would be as excited about this as I am!!

34 Jenn January 6, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Yummy! I need to start measuring, to stop the constant scooping that i do. I am curious, are you a personal trainer now? I noticed that you were studying for the exam last year : )

35 Courtney January 9, 2012 at 10:39 am

I have my certification now, but I’m still working on finding a job :)

36 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn January 6, 2012 at 9:21 pm

You would dieeee at my latest post. All about last night’s Jersey Shore ep.
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..My Thoughts: Jersey Shore Season 5 Premiere

37 Kristen @ notsodomesticated January 7, 2012 at 8:25 am

I typically eyeball everything. I’d be curious to know how much I actually use, but honestly, it takes too much work to use a real tablespoon for my peanut butter and then have to dig that peanut butter out with a knife to spread it on my toast haha! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Don’t Make Me Go Back.

38 Shannon January 7, 2012 at 11:19 am

I eye ball it- definitely.