Not Our Usual Style

You know, I think this has got to be the first Sunday in a long time where I’ve actually taken the time to make myself a full lunch and dinner.

Typically on Sundays, we’re either running around, or our usual eating schedules are thrown off, or we’re hanging out with friends and snacking all day long on things like garbage bread and ugly but tasty cheese. Not today though, my friends!

Lunch

I had a few things to take care of this morning, so by the time I got home a little after 1:00pm, I was famished. I’m not going to lie. I was *this close* to diving head first into a box of cereal for some immediate satisfaction. BUT, I thought better of it (darn you, Jim!) and took the time to make myself a big ‘ol salad, made with lots of veggies, a Dr. Praeger’s veggie burger, and some hummus as a dressing.

I actually enjoyed my salad while browsing through the Sunday paper, clipping coupons, and making our grocery list for the week.

I also printed out a couple of recipes over the weekend that I want to try soon (one of which actually happened VERY soon!). Winking smile

After lunch, I was still in the mood for something else, so I broke into my stash of goodies that Love Grown Foods sent me and dug out the kettle corn. This particular brand of Oogie’s Kettle Corn is probably one of the best pre-packaged ones that I’ve ever tried. No joke.

So good, in fact, that I made sure to measure out my portion so I didn’t wind up going balls-to-the-walls on that bag.

After lunch, I took care of the grocery shopping, which got me everything I needed to make tonight’s brand-spankin’ new dinner.

Oh baby, was this meal delish!

Tonight I cooked up a recipe that I found on EatingWell.com (<—awesome site, by the way!) for Lemon-Garlic Shrimp and Vegetables. I halved the recipe, but kept everything as it called for, serving it with some quinoa on the side. Believe it or not, this was actually my first attempt at cooking with fresh asparagus!

Usually when it comes to dinners, Jay and I tend to gravitate more towards chicken, as well as things that are flavored/seasoned with something balsamic, tomatoes, or basil.

Tonight’s meal was definitely not our usual style, but it was quite refreshing and we both loved it. I think I may just have to incorporate lemon into my meals more often? Yum!

Nothing major planned for the rest of the evening except probably catching up on some magazines and just relaxing. Just what I was hoping for. Smile

Questions for the Evening:

Do you tend to gravitate toward any particular meat and/or seasonings and flavors when you cook?

Comments

i definitely gravitate more toward chicken for dinners… i intend to use other meats, but either don’t feel like spending the money or putting much effort into it. chicken is just so healthy, easy, and affordable! this dish looks fantastic! i’m a huge fan of shrimp and asparagus, so i’m sure i’d love it.
    Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..God’s Cake

• Courtney says

I need to try using Old Bay more often. I bought it months ago and I actually don’t even know if I’ve even opened it yet!

I tend to make a pretty equal amount of chicken and beef, but I try and use light cuts and types of beef when I do. Our taste isn’t too refined and I’d say we enjoy lots of lightened up comfort food, if that counts as a flavor of food! lol Macaroni and cheese, burgers, pastas, tacos etc can always be re-created and lightened up in a new way!
    Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Splish Splash

3. Lynn says

I have a question… I see that you often include a veggie burger in your salads, but I thought that I’d seen posts previously that you eat meat? If so, is there some sort of nutritional significance to the veggie burger as opposed to adding chicken to a salad? I’m really trying to hunker down and cut out the junk and make wiser, yet still delicious, food selections and seeing this option (that I never would have thought of) keeps piquing my curiosity. Thanks!

4. Arimey says

This looks so yummy! Did you use fresh or frozen shrimp? I ask because I’ve never liked seafood, but just recently started eating shrimp after giving it another shot and realizing it’s really not so bad! This seems like the perfect meal to get my foot in the door cooking it since I love asparagus and lemon! Any cooking tips would be much appreciated :)

Oooh I love EatingWell.com! That dinner sounds delicious! Lemon is an ingredient (flavor?) I forget about often, but when I use it it’s so good I always wonder why I don’t use it more often. I am thinking this recipe is going to have to make an appearance at my apartment. Thanks, Courtney! P.S. Mad props for measuring out the Kettle Korn and not going “balls to the wall” (haha). I would have destroyed that bag. :/
    Laura@mypurposefullife recently posted..A Year Can Change a Lot: Part 2