Sake Madness

by Courtney on January 8, 2012

Last night was so much fun!

I had our holiday work party to attend with all of the girls from the salon, which started off at a new local restaurant, Sake Japanese Steakhouse. Our reservation was for a hibachi table, which is always a great form of entertainment!

I’ve been to hibachi restaurants a few different times, with my most memorable probably being on our honeymoon in St. Lucia. They’re really such a good time, and even better when you’re in good company…which I definitely was!

Our waiter’s name was Jason (anyone else find that surprising?) and he was definitely quite the showman…not to mention a little heavy-handed on the sake!

When we got to the restaurant, I was actually more in the mood for sushi than hibachi, so I ended up being the outcast of the table. But that doesn’t mean I didn’t steal all of my mom’s broccoli and a few bites of her rice though. Winking smile

I started with some miso soup (not pictured), an order of edamame (so, so good), and a couple sushi rolls.

One California roll, one Tuna roll.

While at dinner we also did a Secret Santa exchange, as well as one of those other exchanges where you can pick a new gift or steal from someone else’s…what’s that called again?? Either way, even though I ended up getting my first gift stolen from me ($25 each to Dunkin Donuts and Panera, no less!) I still made out like a bandit – $70.00 gift card to Sephora and $5.00 to Starbucks. WIN!! Open-mouthed smile

After dinner we went back to my boss’s house and continued the party for a few more hours. I ended up having a couple drinks there and I think that mixing that with the sake at dinner has made for a little bit of an…umm…let’s just say, tired morning.

Woops. It happens. So in regards to my nutrition plan, I’m going to call last night my “cheat meal,” only because of the extra alcohol that was involved. Other than that, I pretty much stuck with the recommendations that Jim gave to me for my dinner out (yup, I asked him!).

Breakfast

I woke up immediately craving water, Tylenol, coffee and a breakfast of egg and cheese, so that’s what I did.

Egg, provolone, and jam on two lightly toasted whole grain waffles.

Exactly what I needed on this fine Sunday morning. Smile

I’m off to go do the Sunday thing…which, honestly, I’m not even sure what that entails for today! Catch ya later!

Questions for the Morning:

Have you ever been to a hibachi restaurant?

What would be your top choice of a gift card to receive?

1 briana January 8, 2012 at 10:23 am

I love PAnera and Sephora and would love gift cards from there. Most of the gift cards I got this year from my preschoolers was Target which I love too :)

2 Chelcie @ Chelcie's Food Files January 8, 2012 at 10:45 am

I love going to hibachi places..I am always more of a sushi person though!
Chelcie @ Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..A foodtastic day

3 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine January 8, 2012 at 10:48 am

I think my favorite gift card would be to Target – because I could buy such a wide variety of things there.
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..I Had A Green Monster and a Gym FAIL

4 Amanda @ Let Me Be What's Underneath January 8, 2012 at 11:21 am

Ohh I agree—Target would be a great gift card for me!

5 Lynn January 8, 2012 at 10:52 am

Chinese grab bag… fun stuff!

I went to that Sake Steakhouse for New Year’s Eve this year and was very pleasantly surprised at how good it was, especially after seeing other previous restaurants in that location not last. I actually think that it’s way better than Koto… Food, portions, prices and entertainment (hibachi chefs) at Sake are all fantastic!

6 Courtney January 9, 2012 at 10:16 am

I agree! I definitely liked it better than Koto :)

7 Haley @ Fit, Young, and Fabulous January 8, 2012 at 10:53 am

Whoahh! $70 to Sephora?! Whoahh! SUPER WIN-WIN-WIN! I would LOVE a giftcard to Targgaayy! I loveee Target! (: And also to Whole Foods!!! Mmmm(:
Haley @ Fit, Young, and Fabulous recently posted..Solo Movie Night

8 Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat it January 8, 2012 at 11:01 am

looks like a fun night! i’m actually at panera right now w/ a gift card one of my bosses gave me!
Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat it recently posted..Random Loose Ends

9 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles January 8, 2012 at 11:20 am

I have never been to a hibachi restaurant but it always seems like fun! I don’t even know where I could go to find one but if I ever find one- I’m game! …..Dinner with good company makes life great, especially when you get a fantastic gift like that!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Fajita Roasted Chickpeas –Bet you can’t eat just 48–

10 Khushboo January 8, 2012 at 11:28 am

LOVE hibachi restaurants- always such a blast especially when the chef is on good form!
Khushboo recently posted..Getting crafty

11 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill January 8, 2012 at 11:34 am

I love getting the Visa gift cards because the options are limitless! I received one for Christmas and I’m trying to save it for something good!
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Shop Til You Drop [Your Blackberry]

12 Sarah January 8, 2012 at 11:59 am

mmm I love waffle breakfast sandwiches!

13 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 8, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Sake has been around my area a long, long time. That is actually where I went for sophomore and junior homecoming! Did they toss the shrimp at you while you tried to catch it in your mouth? My husband tried and actually burnt his mouth! Fun restaurant though, I went last weekend with my girlfriends and had the edamame as well and a veggie roll.
My favorite gift card to receive is either to banana republic, whole foods or sephora!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Easy as Pie

14 Courtney January 9, 2012 at 10:15 am

They tossed little pieces of zucchini at us, no shrimp! :)

15 Shannon January 8, 2012 at 12:10 pm

1. I have never been to a hibachi restaurant before.
2. My top choice of a gift card to receive would either be Friendly’s or Panera Bread, or Olive Garden. (I currently have a $50 gift card to Friendly’s and Olive Garden that I have to use).
Shannon recently posted..Here’s the plan

16 karlee @ bringing back balance January 8, 2012 at 12:50 pm

My face gift cards are to places where I wouldn’t normally spend a lot of money (sephora, mac, lululemon, whole foods etc).

Hibachi nights are soo fun! Looks like u guys had a blast. And yes I think that is random that his name was Jason lol.
karlee @ bringing back balance recently posted..Cabbage Shmabbage

17 Lauren January 8, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Haha, we once had a hibachi chef who said his name was Bob. I think he was lying to us though. ;)
Lauren recently posted..In Sickness and in Health…..

18 Michelle (Better with Berries) January 8, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I think that game is Rob Your Neighbor? I remember on the episode of the Office when they played it, they ended up calling it “Nasty Christmas” or something similar, hahaha.

Your evening looks like it was a lot of fun! I’ve never been to a hibachi restaurant, but kind of want to try it now.
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..Weekend Recap and HIIT Treadmill Workout

19 Courtney January 9, 2012 at 10:14 am

LOL, I like Nasty Christmas. That sounds like it could be taken so many different ways ;)

20 Lindsey January 8, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Those are great gift cards! I always love gift cards to Starbucks or the local mall – that way there are tons of options!
I went to a Hibachi restaurant on our honeymoon cruise last January, it was a lot of fun! But we do not have any of those restaurants where we live.
Lindsey recently posted..AM Yoga

21 erica January 8, 2012 at 1:33 pm

my husband’s family always goes to those types of restaurants. it’s fun…especially now that his cousin’s kids are old enough to be in awe of the tricks the chef does, it’s fun to watch them watch the chef. :)

best gift card? i’d love a lululemon one! or starbucks is ALWAYS a winner!
erica recently posted..starting the year off right

22 Lena @Fit on the Rocks January 8, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Oh man, that Sephora gift card was a steal (and we call it a white elephant gift exchange)! I don’t mind going to hibachi grills, but I prefer to go to a nice sushi dinner without all of the fire and jazz. A lot of the non-American-born Asian service workers take on American names since it’s easier for people to pronounce. Then, there are people like me who were born here and have an “American” name, so I don’t find it strange at all that his name was Jason.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Long Run Sundays: Quit Playing Games

23 Courtney January 9, 2012 at 10:13 am

Well that makes sense! I figured it must be something like that…thanks! :)

24 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn January 8, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Hahahah hibachi is ACTUALLY my favorite thing. Last time I went, our cook’s name was definitely something of the sort. My fave is when they make the shapes and the volcano! Hahahaha ours had TALENT
Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn recently posted..The Makings of a Perfect Morning

25 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 8, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I’ve never been to a hibachi restaurant before, but it always looks like fun! There’s actually one pretty close to me, so I’ll have to try it out!

If I could receive a gift card to anywhere, I’d probably pick Target!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Puppy Love

26 Josefine January 8, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Hey Courtney,

I just stumbled upon your blog a few days ago and I love reading it! You’re a great writer! Im on the tone it up nutrition plan so its right up my alley :-)
I live in Copenhagen, Denmark – so maybe Im your first Danish reader?!

/Josefine

27 Courtney January 9, 2012 at 10:12 am

Thanks, Josefine! You just may be my first Danish reader. How fun!! Welcome! :-D

28 laura January 8, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Never been to a hibachi, looks like fun! Though I’d probs go with the sushi as well :)
Lululemon or sbucks gift card would be ideal for me.
laura recently posted..Starting anew

29 Krista @ Can't Survive on Yarn Alone January 8, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I’ve been to a hibachi once and had a so/so experience. While the food was good, I wasn’t wowed. I’d be up for trying another place though.

Best gift cards would either be iTunes or Ulta. I could easily go crazy and “overspend” in either.

30 Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 8, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I love hibachi restaurants! There is this one by me called Benihana that is absolutely delicious! I love all the little tricks–especially the onion volcano!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Pecan Bars

31 Kristen @ notsodomesticated January 8, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Fun!! We went to one of those restaurants when we were in Florida last week, and (like you) we opted for the sushi while the rest of the table ate the stuff the guy was cooking up. I love both, but I’m partial to sushi! ;)

32 Shelly January 8, 2012 at 2:50 pm

We were just at a Hibachi restaurant on Thursday night. We opted for sushi that time, but absolutely love Hibachi. The only downside is the price!
I always specifically request Barnes & Noble gift cards for Christmas. I’m such a bookworm!
Shelly recently posted..I Can Have a Successful Friday Night!

33 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 8, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I got a $50 Spa Finder gift certificate at a company holiday party 2 years ago and thought at the time that it would be an awesome gift and yet, it’s still in my wallet burning a hole!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Roasted parsnip and caramelized onion puree

34 Courtney January 9, 2012 at 10:11 am

Whaaaaaat?!?!? Girl, you need to get in top of that!! ;)

35 Sierra @ Posh Meets Pavement January 8, 2012 at 4:53 pm

itunes and Starbucks are always nice. I like to get gift cards for something I wouldn’t normally splurge on. Books, Music, and fancy coffee drinks are something I don’t normally spend too much money on, so a gift card is really a treat.

Holiday party looked like a blast.
Sierra @ Posh Meets Pavement recently posted..What’s THAT Smell?

36 Katie @ Plates and Paste January 8, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I love getting the Visa or Amex ones. That way you can spend them wherever you want!
Katie @ Plates and Paste recently posted..Hands Need Exercise Too

37 Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter January 8, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I love it when they perform in front of you! Very cool. I haven’t been to one in a long time….it’s kinda expensive.
Starbucks gift card! win indeed!
This past November we had a contest where I work and I won a $600 gift card….being right before Christmas I would say that was the best one that I have ever received. :)
Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter recently posted..Surprisingly Satisfied

38 Courtney January 9, 2012 at 10:10 am

WOAH!! That’s awesome, Brandi! Haha :)